View Full Version : American Airlines changes in OKC

brianinok
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I kind of thought this article regarding yesterday's announcement was pointless. I don't think there is any chance that American would completely pull out of OKC, which is what this article seems to be reassuring us that won't happen. We may lose a flight or two, but that is no surprise. I would just be surprised if anyone realistically thought American might completely pull out of OKC, especially with board member David Boren living here. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

City likely to escape American’s cuts | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/city-likely-to-escape-americans-cuts/article/3247026/?tm=1211459262)

Thu May 22, 2008
City likely to escape American’s cuts

By Jennifer Palmer
Business Writer

Industry experts say it is unlikely American Airlines will discontinue service in Oklahoma City as the company seeks to cut flights nationwide by up to 12 percent.

The airline announced cuts Wednesday in response to increased fuel costs.

American Airlines passengers also will see increased fees, including a $15 fee for the first checked bag for most customers.

In making the announcement, American Airlines did not name specific markets that will experience cuts.

Market effect undetermined

American is the second-largest carrier at Will Rogers World Airport, after Southwest, said Mark Kranenburg, director of airports. American’s flights are about 95 percent filled this week leading up to Memorial Day, at both Will Rogers and Tulsa International airports.

American is Tulsa’s largest employer. A maintenance facility there employs more than 7,500. The maintenance facility could weigh on American’s decision in Tulsa, said Robert Mann, an independent airline analyst in New York.

Flight schedules showing the affected markets should be available next month, he said.

Kranenburg said he would be surprised if American pulled out of the Oklahoma City market.

Mann, the analyst, agreed. He also said smaller markets could lose American service entirely but probably not Oklahoma City.

Starting June 15, American Airlines passengers in Oklahoma and nationwide will experience a $15 fee for the first checked bag. Though American is the first airline to impose such a fee, others could follow suit, Mann said.

“It’s kind of the beginning of the end of an all-inclusive airfare,” he said.

mmonroe
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Mein Gott, what does David Boren not have his hands in?

adaniel
05-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I think it may be a stretch to call it pointless, since the article wasn't just talking about service in and out of OKC entirely. It s important since AA is such a HUGE employer in this state and and AA's CEO mentioned "layoffs in the thousands." With oil prices going up like they don't expect this to be the last airline to make such drastic changes.

mmonroe
05-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm telling you, if you make more than $100K a year, go out and get an electric or CNG car and save us poor folk on the gas prices.

autoMATTic
05-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Just though I'd point out that AA is not Tulsa's largest employer. Hilti, Inc. is.

At least from the latest numbers I have seen.

Either way, interesting article.

mmonroe
05-22-2008, 07:31 PM
I think he mentioned that it is "such a HUGE employer" not the largest, or whatever.

venture
05-23-2008, 09:31 PM
American I believe is still number 1 in OKC over Southwest in terms of passengers. So no reason for them to leave.

I don't think OKC will get hit too much, if at all. The flights to St Louis would be the only ones at risk, but those are contracted out and aren't operated by American Eagle.