View Full Version : Where do you see OKC in 10 years?

ssandedoc
05-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. But I have been following all the developments through the many posts here. I have definitely learned a lot.

I was wondering where do you see OKC in 10 years? I know we will have the Sonics, the new I-40, the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum, river transport, and many other things. How do you see OKC looking?

PennyQuilts
05-20-2008, 05:28 AM
All I know is that I plan to be back home, long before then. It will look gorgeous. It already looks gorgeous... I'm wondering if there will be more development in SW OKC. I'm also wondering about the area between OKC and Shawnee.

AFCM
05-20-2008, 06:21 AM
I think we'll see OKC in a major transitional phase. Currently, a lot of projects are being proposed. In about ten years, the the ventures you mentioned, along with the Devon tower, will be complete. Plus, the trees on the river will be maturing...yay! However, there will be a lot more projects in their infancy around that time, so we'll be able to see a MAJOR undertaking of OKC as most of the ambitious ideas are being implemented. I only hope we plant more trees NOW so we have something to look forward to in a decade.

The renaissance has only begun. Stay tuned.

dcsooner
05-20-2008, 06:22 AM
I think the overall mindset of the citizens of OKC is changing in that citizens want OKC to become a great city. Some of the "old" attitudes of stay the course, don't change, remian in the past, are gone. Oklahoma Citians and Oklahomans now expect more from ourselves, public and private leaders. I envision Oklahoma City continuing its momemtum because of the public / private partnership that has been developed over the last 15 years. I expect the City to change in the areas of tourism, entertainment (Pro BB), arts, upscale dance clubs, varied eateries, quality of life (river development, trails, parks etc), employment diversity and a return of many of us back home to OKLAHOMA!!!

AFCM
05-20-2008, 06:25 AM
I should also point out that demand for natural gas will be a lot higher in ten years than it is now. OKC is really going to benefit from that as well. Put on your sunglasses, the future looks bright from here.

okcpulse
05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
All I know is that I plan to be back home, long before then. It will look gorgeous.

I second that.

adaniel
05-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Being down at OU for the past 4 years, I really feel like this city is onto something special. It is really surprising to hear college aged students' opinions of this city now versus four years ago. Lest I remind you that these are the people that are going to build the future. You only have to notice the influx of out-of-state tags to know that the secret about OKC is slowly getting out.

It will be very exciting to see what theis place will look like in 10 years, and as a young person, I can only hope to be a part of it.

metro
05-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. But I have been following all the developments through the many posts here. I have definitely learned a lot.

I was wondering where do you see OKC in 10 years? I know we will have the Sonics, the new I-40, the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum, river transport, and many other things. How do you see OKC looking?

Look at the Core To Shore (C2S) renderings. This will give you a good idea of what OKC could look like in 10 years.

soonerfever
05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Well I think it all depends on if we stay on the same track as we are now. People need to keep thinking forward and we need leadership that thinks that way too. I see OKC growing just as it is now. We will have the Devon Tower, NBA, the riverfront will have grown, more people living downtown, and I think bricktown will continue to expand. As long as OKC stays interesting then it will be ok. They can't let people move away and business's build on the outskirts of the city like they have the past 20+ years. I also see some type of a mass transit system built or in the stages of being built.

BabyBoomerSooner
05-20-2008, 11:13 AM
It will definitely be odd to drive on I-40 through downtown and not be within spitting distance of the Ford Center. The whole river front should actually have landscaping and a park-like quality surrounding the formerly glorified ditch we called the North Canadian.

I'll make a bold prediction; in 10 years we'll have riverboat gambling on the Oklahoma River.

stlokc
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Just random idle predictions:

The 40-story Devon Tower will be filled and will be the most significant building downtown.

The FNC will be completely renovated and will be the regional HQ of a bank not currently in OKC.

Some company will have bought the current Devon tower for their HQ. It will be full of employees.

All of the current housing developments will be finished and full, and there will be one new mid-rise residential tower built from the ground up, either near the Civic Center, or somewhere in the Triangle/Deep Deuce area.

There will be at least one major addition to Bricktown, and there will be more retail.

Core 2 Shore will be mid-way through completion. The new convention center will be finished and there will be a 25 story high-end hotel as its anchor. Lots of construction in this area in 10 years.

The NBA will be thriving, the practice facility will be on the Broadway Extension or the Kilpatrick Turnpike area.

There will be actual light rail plans on the drawing board but they will not have begun construction yet.

The boathouses will be finished along the river, and there will be significantly more landscaping and cultural improvements.

The sprawl will continue unabated to the North and Northwest. Edmond, Deer Creek, and North OKC will have completely grown together.

Chesapeake will have fully built-out its campus and completed renovation of Nichols Hills Plaza. A high-end department store not currently in OKC will be its anchor.

All of these predictions are assuming that oil and natural gas remain strong and that, in addition, OKC has continued to diversify its economy. I would love to see some new large-scale corporate HQ operations, but feel it is more likely that growth will come organically from what is already in OKC and from developing clusters like biotech/medical and aviation.

Blazerfan11
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Grover Norquists dream come true. Whether it will be a dream or nightmare for the common folk is very, very TBD.

Pete
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
That's a great list, stl.

I would add:

Midtown will be a full-fledged urban neighborhood with lots of younger people living in condos and apartments with many local restaurants and bars within walking distance.

The OU Health Science Center will be home to thousands more high-paying jobs in healthcare and biotech and will feature half a dozen large structures.

I-40 will be fully relocated and the new downtown boulevard in place.

Union Station will be restored to it's full glory and featured prominently at the south end of our new Central Park.

The NW side of town south of Memorial will continue to rot due to the unmitigated sprawl north of there.

stlokc
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Pete-
I think you are both right and wrong about NW OKC. The significant neighborhoods of Nichols Hills, Quail Creek, Crown Heights, Belle Isle, Lakehurst, etc. will always hold their value and may in fact become more attractive as gas prices continue to rise. But I do agree that it will get more spotty, particularly in the areas south of Lake Hefner.

Midtown: I fully agree. OUHSC: I agree, as long as the university and research park continue to spawn start-up private companies and the city/state make it attractive for these companies to stay in OKC. The growth can not only come from the university itself.

Pete
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
stl, I'm sorry to say that the neighborhoods you mentioned on the NW side will be more the exception than the rule. Geographically, they represent a very small part of that sector.

When you see areas developed only 20 years ago falling onto hard times (like many of the neighborhoods around PC North) it's hard to imagine how they'll come back any time soon.

But not to be negative! The long list of positives are much more fun to think about.

stlokc
05-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Pete-I have to admit I am not as familiar with the areas around PC North. I'm only home sporadically and am never out there - once you get West of Meridian you kind of lose me. So I'll concede the point.

There are more positives than negatives, you're right!

Chicken In The Rough
05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
From a distance, it appears that OKC has reached the beginnings of a critical mass.

My reasoning:
David Boren's tremendously successful turnaround efforts at OU; the flourishing of Bricktown; the dramatic expansion of direct jet service at the airport; the renaissance of downtown (and the Devon Tower); the Oklahoma River and an abundance of new development sure to come (think Capital Hill and the Stockyards in addition to C2S); the arrival of viable new housing and increased density in the core; the emergence of proactive corporate citizens; etc.

OKC may never be glamorous enough to attract high-profile executive headquarters. But, I think OKC is extremely well-positioned to begin attracting regional offices, professional service firms, and other higher-wage white-collar employers. I'm thinking major accounting firms, banks, consultancies, etc.

Also, with the success of Devon, Chesapeake, Sandridge, and others, OKC may be in a good position to attract other major energy companies. I'd love to see a few come back from Dallas and Houston for a change.

OKC has lost an entire generation to the brain drain, but that will stop now. All the pieces of the puzzle are finally present, and we won't let the momentum slow down. I think in ten years we'll see more plans on the drawing board or under construction for more public spaces such as large parks and plazas. We'll see the beginnings of an integrated mass-transit system using a bus system modelled ater that of Curitiba, along with streetcars and light rail where it makes sense.

We'll see real estate prices in the urban core hitting unprecedented levels. Homes in Heritage, Mesta, and Lincoln Terrace will routinely sell at over $300 per square foot. We'll see the dramatic redevelopment of the West End; the area from Walker to Penn, and from 16th to Sheridan. Great old neighborhoods will be revitalized, urban infill will accelerate, and a few midrises will pop up. 10-Penn will re-emerge as a hot area in the next few years.

Direct air service will continue to expand. We'll see non-stop jets going to Miami, Seattle, Boston, and Philadelphia. We may even see the beginnings of true international service to destinations in Mexico and Canada. Will Rogers World Airport passenger throughput will increase and OKC will grow from a medium-sized regional center, to a larger national center similar to Nashville, Indianapolis, or Kansas City.

The Creative Class will grow substantially in the coming years. Young hipsters who once left OKC for more lucrative, inspiring, and fulfilling destinations now will stay and add their signature style to our city. We'll see a lot more art galleries, jazz clubs, trendy boutiques, niche bookstores, and coffee houses. Our local colleges pump out a tremendous amount of talent year after year. OKC will be an incredible place when we are finally able to reap the benefits of this talent rather than losing it to New York, LA, Nashville, or Dallas.

A major town center style retail development will come to the downtown area within the next ten years. It will serve as an anchor for the new transit system, and will probably be located in the Triange or East Bricktown area. It will feature several large department stores such as Dillards or Macys, and will feature at least one truly upscale department store such as Niemans or Nordstroms. It will also have a Crate and Barrell, Restoration Hardware, Whole Foods, Barnes and Noble, and a host of other stores. Significant in this retail complex will be a major theater such as an Angelika or Magnolia showing strictly independent films and documentaries.

Immigration will continue to change the look and feel of the city. The South Asian and East Asian communities will blossom, and of course we'll see rapid growth in the Latino community. Immigrants will be attracted to OKC for its employment opportunities, below average cost of living, and excellent quality of life. We're going to see the development of a wonderful tapestry of language and culture.

In ten years, we'll see the completion of our urban trail system. You'll be able to bike from Draper to Hefner and from Overholser to Remington Park. The bicycle will become a viable method of transportation with a network of bike paths woven throughout downtown and along the riverfront.

Today, OKC is one of the hottest cities in the nation and people are beginning to notice. We've got to keep some visionaries around and keep this momentum going.

CuatrodeMayo
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
The founding of a world-renown Design Cooperative by yours truely.

AFCM
07-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Have any predictions changed now that the NBA is permanently in OKC?

soonerguru
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Wow! What an inspiring and exciting post from Chicken in the Rough!

RabidRed
07-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I think the biggest asset we have not tapped is the entertainment talent in our state. If you look at the Reba McIntires, Vince Gills, Garth Brooks, and Carrie Underwoods of our state and what we have failed to do with them is disappointing. With all this talent we should have developed a Branson type venue here in OKC. Maybe a MAPS vote could add that to the mix?

CuatrodeMayo
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
we should have developed a Branson type venue here in OKC. Maybe a MAPS vote could add that to the mix?

NOOOO!!!!!

OKCMallen
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
The playoffs in the Western Division. :):):):):):)

ddavidson8
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Where do I see OKC in ten years? Hopefully where it is now. Unless there is an earthquake or something.

traxx
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I think the biggest asset we have not tapped is the entertainment talent in our state. If you look at the Reba McIntires, Vince Gills, Garth Brooks, and Carrie Underwoods of our state and what we have failed to do with them is disappointing. With all this talent we should have developed a Branson type venue here in OKC. Maybe a MAPS vote could add that to the mix?

The thing is, with the exception of Toby Keith, when our stars get big they move out and some of them stay gone like Reba and Vince. Garth is only back in the state because of his retirement. Maybe in the future we'll see more do like Toby Keith and still hang their hat here even after they become stars.

As for OKC in 10 years, I hope to see a great core to shore, not nail salons and big box stores. I hope it's something unique and different like what Bricktown was originally supposed to be.

OUGrad05
07-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy av? Haven't seen those guys in forever!

I think OKC by 2020 will be 1.55 to 1.65 million people perhaps higher. This would be basically 2% growth per year. I see the energy business overall staying in good condition the city employment is fairly well diversified and it looks like the Air Force is going to do some impressive things with the old GM plant further bolstering job growth in the metro. I just hope the state and both oklahoma city and tulsa find a way to capitalize on alternative energy sources as well as fossil fuels because it will take both to keep this country functioning as we move into the future.

blangtang
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
similar to east germany circa 1983!

someone has to be a pessimist!

CuatrodeMayo
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
In my rearview mirrow...ha!

metro
07-11-2008, 07:33 AM
hopefully not sprawled all the way to guthrie, shawnee and el reno. hopefully developers and trends will continue to revitalize the inner city and do infill projects instead of going out into cow pastures and continuing the unneedless sprawl.

HOT ROD
07-16-2008, 01:06 AM
This is a great topic, especially considering where we've come. OKC was once in the same light as it is today, back in the 1950s-1960s - it was a regional powerhouse. In the 1970s and especially 1980s, we had way too much ultra conservatism that was a by-product of big business and oil companies - and these people cared nothing about the city, only their pockets. Especially with the decline of the oil industry and the associated OKC banks - Oklahoma City collapsed and let Tulsa move ahead.

In the early 1990s we said, enough is enough - and we had leadership with a vision and business support who believed in the community - and everyone knew OKC had potential. We tested the waters in the late 1990's with our new venues and it proved successful in the early 2000's (ie MAPS).

Now in the late 2000s, OKC is once again the regional powerhouse (not equal to Dallas, but certainly a worthy contender for various sectors such that OKC is definitely 2nd only to Dallas in the region).

I see a new boom taking place beginning next year - as many of the 2000 projects get complete and people move into downtown; I see downtown having 8000 residents by 2010 (up from 3000 in 2000). The next wave of developments will focus on community and building up Oklahoma City in the inner ring.

I see TONS of gentrification projects - due to the excitement of downtown. Sure, downtown will continue to grow and Midtown, AAlley, and Triangle will be the hotspot areas to live, work, and play - but there are people who want to be close to the excitement but don't want to live there. In 10 years, I see downtown with residential Mid and High rises (esp in C2S, Triangle, and West downtown), about 15 hotels (up from 9 today that are either built or approved) with at least one being above the current largest room count 600+ rooms.

I see the new convention centre opened, it includes a new 12,000 seat arena that is more luxurious than Cox but still more economical than Ford Center which is located across the new boulevard. (and I-40 moved with a compromise NOT TO knock out the Union Station railyard = because I see Union Station being the new intermodal station, beginning in 2010; starting with two commuter rail lines). Ford Center and the new Convention Centre create a Gateway, where retail and urban shoppes line the new boulevard and climax at the two buildings.

I see Devon complete in 2010 and new skyscrapers 10 years from now. Cox Convention Center is being torn down and the land reclaimed to expand the CBD. I see a new theatre/performing arts centre in downtown and Oklahoma City finally has an Opera company.

In 10 years, the NBA's Oklahoma City Barons has won 4 Western division championships and 2 NBA titles, and the biggest rivalry games are with Dallas (of course), Houston, and the new Seattle Supersonics (created from the absorbing of the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies).

In 10 years, OU is still a top 5 football team - Gaylord Memorial Stadium has been expanded to now be over 100,000 seats, with at least two sections with the finest amenities you'd see in an NFL stadium. Oklahoma City University is back in the NCAA, and they play their home games in the new Convention Centre arena.

In 10 years, I see Oklahoma City at 750,000 residents (up from 600K in 2010) and 2.0M residents in the CSA (up from 1.4 in 2010). The state population is 4.5M up from 3.7M in 2010. Norman finally breaks 200K for #2 in the metro, and Edmond has 175K. It is evident that people are moving back to Oklahoma City from previously attractive areas [Dallas, Houston, California, Arizona, Florida]. (just for kicks, Tulsa hits 450K/1M CSA 10 years from now).

In 10 years, Nichols Hills Plaza is the top end shopping destination in the state, followed by the Oklahoma City town centre in the Triangle district. 50 Penn Place has been redeveloped into a true high-end galleria mall. Crossroads Mall got it's act together and regained it's title as the states largest Mall-based trade area. In 10 years, Crossroads, Penn Sq, and Quail all have upscale additions (with their own external access); as well as anchor stores that are not duplicated in the city [this allows all of the malls to be competitive since people would have to shop around]. Crossroads was saved in 2010 when the Park N Ride was constructed (and new management invested and upgraded the facilities - anchors returned). Downtown OKC had received shoppes scattered throughout beginning in 2009, and beginning in 2014 when the new boulevard was created - new stores have been moving in making downtown the top shopping/trade destination in the state. In ten years, major shopping can be found in every suburb with the largest being in Norman, MWC, and Edmond. In 10 years OKC has 3 outlet malls - all of them upscale (or have an upscale component).

Arena Football league returns to Oklahoma City, this time for real; and Oklahoma City has an MLS franchise which plays in Edmond. The NHL is looking to locate to OKC and the NFL is seriously considering as well due to the 'can do' attitude - if OKC builds a stadium (which in 2014 was first proposed for Maps 4).

Coincidentally, MAPS 3 brought in the new downtown Streetcar in 2012 and with the help of ACOG and the state/feds; in 2010 Oklahoma City has commuter rail based out of Union Station (now a multimodal facility). It started with one line from downtown to Norman, then another line to Guthrie was added, then a line East to Midwest City and Choctaw, then most recently El Reno and Yukon were added.

MAPS 3 brought a new focus on pedestrianizing Oklahoma City (through sidewalks and energy efficient streetlighting all over the city), beautification (through tree planting programs [which corporations matched], and public art/statues (at prominent areas of town/traffic circles). Ten years from now, these projects are now mature and a 'living' part of the fabric that is Oklahoma City.

Asia District ten years from now has a tourist area and is a heritage Chinatown district. The densification efforts which began in 2004 have begun to pay off - and with the massive influx of immigrant and former immigrants from other us cities, the district is one of the top in the nation. Oklahoma City University has reclaimed all of the slum to the north of it and now has a very sizable campus complete with most degree programs - there's talk about a football team/stadium.

WRWA built the East Concourse in 2012 since a new jet fuel technology and 'interest' allowed OKC to become a focus city. Back then, WRWA had 250 flights a day (up from 200 in 2008); ten years from now WRWA has 400 flights a day, complete with non-stops to Vancouver and Toronto, Mexico City, and San Juan PR in addition to at least one weekly flight to all of the top 40 air markets.

This interest was seeded by the city actively seeking corporate relocations; some of whom did relocate but almost all companies contacted at least opened an office in OKC. This has allowed OKC to further diversity and significantly increase it's employment base (which further explains the population/air traffic increases). In 10 years, Oklahoma City has 6 Fortune 500 companies hq and 20 Fortune 1000 hq in its metro (most of them in downtown Oklahoma City or the NW business district).

This interest and pro-business can do attitude has also landed Oklahoma City a major manufacturing facility; becuase in 2010 Boeing announced they OKC will be the location for final assembly of the 737 replacement aircraft. This plane is based on the now widely successful 787 Dreamliner and in 10 years the plant, located at Wiley Post airport, has been busy chugging out the new 797's (as their known).

The Oklahoma Health Center rivals the top in the nation, 2nd in the Southwest ONLY to the Texas Medical Center in Houston. OHC has expanded the Bio/Research facility to rival those in the Triangle area of North Carolina and Boston. In ten years, Oklahoma City has significanly increased per capita income levels and since 2010 the local economy has significantly reinvigurated the city.

OK, I'll stop there - I could keep going tho. lol.

dcsooner
07-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Hot Rod, I share your enthusiasm about the direction of OKC. As we are both native Oklahomans but not currently living in the State, I hope those who are living in the City BELIEVE in it as we do. There are only a couple of things that can stop this momentum and they are apathy and unbelief in ourselves. I do not remember a time when I been more excited about my home State and with GOD's blessing I intend to move back in 3 years to be a part of the growth.

HOT ROD
07-17-2008, 02:27 AM
AMEN!

Now who would have 'thunk' that expats would want to MOVE BACK to Oklahoma City..?? MY MY, times have changed for the BETTER!

I would love to move back, but I am allergic to the Heat/Humidity; so I will have to stick to annual visits - usually the Arts Festival (which I thoroughly enjoy by the way).

OUGrad05
07-18-2008, 09:34 PM
hopefully not sprawled all the way to guthrie, shawnee and el reno. hopefully developers and trends will continue to revitalize the inner city and do infill projects instead of going out into cow pastures and continuing the unneedless sprawl.

Good point, thats one thing Tulsa has done a pretty good job at...they are not afraid to rezone or allow developers to rebuild. An apartment complex in brookside is going to be demolished and completely rebuilt. The area will house 5 to 7 times more people when its all said and done.