View Full Version : Cornett's comments on the horrors of rail

Blazerfan11
05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
At the whatever it is called neighbors meeting, Cornett commented that rail would encourage people to live outside of OKC, and that he didn't want to do anything that would encourage anyone to live outside of OKC. I find it quite interesting that about 75% of the people who worked on the Friends of Tinker and Big League City campaigns live in either Edmond, Norman, or Choctaw.
Since only clear thinking people who know what it takes to make us a fine town live in these places, why would the mayor not want to encourage something that will help these great humanitarians come into OKC and work their magic?

kevinpate
05-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Wasn't what he actually said more along the lines of he didn't think OKC alone should pay the freight, so to speak, of a rail system which made it easier for folks to live and spend elsewhere? Maybe I misread, but that was the sense I had of the reports I saw.

Blazerfan11
05-19-2008, 08:38 AM
He's said things like that in the past. What I heard on KGOU, regarding the Urban Neighbors meeting is what I posted above.

Kerry
05-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Cornett is the Mayor of OKC, not the Mayor of metro OKC so he has a different set of rules then the members of this forum. I guess in his mind he should only do things that encourage the growth of OKC. If people from Edmond and Norman want to get to downtown OKC during rush hour then they need to take that up with the State, otherwise, those people need to move to OKC proper. I can agree with that line of thinking.

I can see OKC putting in a rail system that really only serves the city limits of OKC with a concentration around the area inside of the 1-240/I-44 loop. That means any commuter system to the suburbs would have to be funded by the State. I am fine with that.

Blazerfan11
05-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I agree as well, my point is that he doesn't seem to respect those of us who live in OKC as he's always going with outsiders to do anything and everything it takes to make the city "better". Maybe when we get the new call center all these things will change.

Midtowner
05-19-2008, 09:07 AM
It's pretty clear to me that for rail to work, it must be a county effort rather than a city one.

Kerry
05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Personally, I am just happy that someone in a position of power is even talking in a supportive way about rail in OKC. The bar is pretty low to make me happy in this regard. Same with the new Devon tower. I am sure it will be nice but I was happy to just see the IRS building go up back in '93.

metro
05-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Wasn't what he actually said more along the lines of he didn't think OKC alone should pay the freight, so to speak, of a rail system which made it easier for folks to live and spend elsewhere? Maybe I misread, but that was the sense I had of the reports I saw.

kevinpate, this is how I interpreted it as well, as a board member of Urban Neighbors. We will be posting a link to the recorded meeting with Mayor Cornett soon on the Home | Urban Neighbors (http://www.urbanneighbors.org) website. I will notify when it is up. Yes, Mayor Cornett is supportive of light rail, he stated something similar to what kevinpate mentioned, he's not supporting OKC front all the costs. He hinted at a countywide system in which if other suburbs wanted to be a part of it, they would have to split the costs. I don't blame OKC for that. He also stated light rail would probably be a part of MAPS 3 and start with inner city lines from OUHSC and State Capitol into downtown.

As far as the Chamber employees living in Edmond, Choctaw, etc. I have heard no factual evidence from Blazersfan and others, however it wouldn't surprise me if many of them did live in suburbs.

veritas
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
kevinpate, this is how I interpreted it as well, as a board member of Urban Neighbors. We will be posting a link to the recorded meeting with Mayor Cornett soon on the Home | Urban Neighbors (http://www.urbanneighbors.org) website. I will notify when it is up. Yes, Mayor Cornett is supportive of light rail, he stated something similar to what kevinpate mentioned, he's not supporting OKC front all the costs. He hinted at a countywide system in which if other suburbs wanted to be a part of it, they would have to split the costs. I don't blame OKC for that. He also stated light rail would probably be a part of MAPS 3 and start with inner city lines from OUHSC and State Capitol into downtown.

As far as the Chamber employees living in Edmond, Choctaw, etc. I have heard no factual evidence from Blazersfan and others, however it wouldn't surprise me if many of them did live in suburbs.

Given that he is the Mayor of OKC, his position is understandable. Look for the push for light rail to be an east/west track. I hear that the likely route would include a track running to the west to pick up patrons of the horse shows at the State Fairgrounds. Lots of $$$ is being invested in new buildings for horse shows so I wouldn't be surprised if the light rail could used as a catalyst to encourage even more events to be drawn to OKC

I do hope the north/south route does come to fruition. However, one note to point out. If you've ever actually had to depend on public transportation (during rush hour) to get to and from work, it can be a less than desirable experiance. I often feel that people in OKC transfer the same feelings of personal space that they experiance in their cars to their idea of public transportation. I would argue that public transportation as a mechanism for travel to and from work falls far short of expectations. Lack of personal space, sneezing and coughing during winter and spring, undesirables, and the like can all leave business class riders frustrated with public transit.

/two cents

metro
05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
veritas, based upon Mayor Cornett's official comments and attending COPTA meetings and other various transportation and downtown issues meetings. I'm willing to bet the first line will not be an east/west line. I'm willing to bet it would be north south, somewhere near Broadway. Perhaps go as far north as NE/NW 23rd street to the Capitol and/or OUHSC. He has on more than one occasion, mentioning getting a downtown system set up first and then expanding. Even though the fairgrounds are a big draw, downtown and fairgrounds are two different demographics.

veritas
05-19-2008, 04:25 PM
veritas, based upon Mayor Cornett's official comments and attending COPTA meetings and other various transportation and downtown issues meetings. I'm willing to bet the first line will not be an east/west line. I'm willing to bet it would be north south, somewhere near Broadway. Perhaps go as far north as NE/NW 23rd street to the Capitol and/or OUHSC. He has on more than one occasion, mentioning getting a downtown system set up first and then expanding. Even though the fairgrounds are a big draw, downtown and fairgrounds are two different demographics.

Possibly. My info comes second hand from the Mayor's round table.

centaurian
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Its rare to find any politician that supports any kind of public transportation.
I think they all own oil company stock and car dealerships

Blazerfan11
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
we need to find a way to power our local transit with the energy of all the gum smackers in this town.