View Full Version : Tax rebates???

Chefdavies
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Anyone recieve theirs yet? I'm not expecting mine till the end, but have been reading on blogs and stuff that NO one is getting them. Even ppl with the last digits 00. Just wondering.

Filifan
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Anyone recieve theirs yet? I'm not expecting mine till the end, but have been reading on blogs and stuff that NO one is getting them. Even ppl with the last digits 00. Just wondering.

Received our Direct deposit a week ago Thursday, last digits being 59

venture
05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Only people that I know that aren't getting them on time, are those they did direct deposit - but with a company that deducted their fees from the tax return. In cases like that, you'll get a regular old check in the mail, probably around the end of the month.

windowphobe
05-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Got mine on the 6th.

CuatrodeMayo
05-16-2008, 05:23 PM
I was supposed to get mine today so I did a bit of investigation. I used TurboTax online and had the fee deducted from the return (why not, right?). Turns out that is you have any preparation fees deducted from your tax refund when you file, your stimulus check will be mailed instead of direct deposited. So my check will be MAILED on July 4th. $%*^!

Martin
05-16-2008, 06:39 PM
unless my tax guy screwed up, i was supposed to get mine this week via direct deposit... didn't happen... but it is possible that my bank's system just isn't reporting it yet.

-M

dalelakin
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Why does having the fees deducted make a difference?

Martin
05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
^
by having 'the fees deducted' from your return, you are esentially taking out a refund anticipation loan with your tax preparer... in that situation, the irs sends your refund to the tax preparer and not to you. therefore the irs does not have the necessary direct deposit info needed to perform the transaction electronically... and that equals a paper check.

consequently, i was perusing the irs website and figured out why i don't have my stimulus payment direct deposited yet... the website says that the payment schedule is only valid for those who had their taxes processed by the 15th. while my tax preparer included direct deposit information with my return, i owed money this year and put the check in the mail on the 14th. the site states that i can expect my stimulus payment to be direct deposited six weeks after my payment was processed... at least that's how i understand it. so... guess i'll be waiting a little bit longer for caesar to toss me my loaf of bread.

-M

Karried
05-16-2008, 07:49 PM
My CPA hasn't even finished my taxes yet, thank God for extensions ... I'm still waiting to see what I have to pay, forget about looking for a rebate check!

Intrepid
05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Got mine one week ago via DD

MadMonk
05-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Got mine one week ago via DD
Same here. :)

blangtang
05-17-2008, 01:18 AM
I checked...I don't get a refund b/c I dont have 'earned' income. now if i had 2 chitlins, then i'd be in then money.

interest income doesnt qualify as earned income.

so much for the country going into debt to give a little boost to consumer spending

cheers!

-blangtang from norman:dizzy:

BradR
05-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I got mine last week with DD, but my wife hasn't gotten any (she had to pay in this year so we're expecting a check, if anything).

LovableGoober
05-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm supposed to get mine by June 6th according to my SSN

redcup
05-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I will be getting mine around July 4th, via check. Oh, well, it will be useful when it gets here for sure.

Karried
05-18-2008, 12:05 PM
The government began mailing paper rebate checks to 88 million Americans on May 9. But there's a big difference between when the first checks go in the mail and when the last taxpayer actually gets his or her money.

A dirty little secret

First, there's the unavoidable fact that it takes a few days, at least, for the Postal Service to get the check to your mailbox.

More importantly -- and more frustrating for millions of taxpayers -- is that the IRS schedule applies only to taxpayers whose 2007 tax returns were processed by the agency by the April 15 deadline.

Tens of millions of returns filed during the week or so run-up to the deadline, and after it passed, aren't covered. And the IRS says the owners of those returns can expect to wait for their rebates a minimum of six weeks from the time they filed -- regardless of the last two digits of their Social Security numbers.

So, even if your Social Security number ends in 00, don't hold your breath waiting for a rebate if you filed close to the tax deadline. You might not get your money until June.

If you haven't filed yet, figure at least six weeks will pass between the time you send in your return and when the IRS sends you your rebate. (Late filers can speed up the process by filling in the direct deposit information on their tax return, regardless of whether they have a refund coming. That insures the IRS will electronically deposit their rebate.)

Checking on your check

If you're wondering where your money is, use the IRS Where's My Stimulus Payment tool (http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=181665,00.html) to check. Answer three simple questions -- your Social Security number, the type of return you filed and the number of exemptions you claimed -- and you'll get a quick report of how big your rebate is and when it was, or will be, electronically deposited or dropped in the mail.

If you're more than a week or so ahead of the trigger date, you'll be asked to check back later.

Flatlander
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe someone here can help,I recieved my stimulus check in the mail with my name and then III.Like this John Doe III.I have tried the irs phone numbers with no luck.No questions on the irs website regarding getting the wrong check.Any suggestions?Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Karried
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I've heard of repeated mess ups .. this is probably one of those, hopefully, just a typo.

Is it the correct amount? And does it reflect the correct social security number in the correspondence.. if so, call your accountant to be certain and if he gives the go ahead I would just sign and deposit it.

MestaParkMan
07-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Got mine the first week that they were issued. My last two digits is 24 so I was surprised to get it so quickly!

bornhere
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I've gotten mine.

Martin
07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
got my notice of impending payment last week and received my CHECK today. flash back to early march... i gave my tax guy my checking account information and received my state refund via direct deposit (i owed federal) but still received a physical check for the stimulus payment... kinda thinking he screwed up.

-M