View Full Version : OKC Craigslist

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this site before. oklahomacity.craigslist.org
but i'm a having a problem with someone flagging my post. I'm trying to sell my computer and this is getting ridiculous. Anyone else have these problems?

BailJumper
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Put up a link to your post. I sell lots of stuff on CL and have found people either flag you because they think you're a scammer or they are selling something similar at a higher price.

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
COMPUTER AND LCD (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/sys/681081117.html)

This was actually in reply to a person who said I was ripping people off with my price offer.

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Gaming Desktop w/19" LCD (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/sys/679835295.html)

My original posting.

Karried
05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
From what I can tell, you haven't broken any Craigslist rules.

Copy your ad onto Word so you don't have to keep redoing that and Save it... send a message to
craigslist | contact form (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/emailForm.cgi)

and include your City, State and issue and explain that this person is Flagging for personal reasons. Send them your AD id and/or your copy.
In the meantime, change your Title around and repost it.

Craigslist will only let you post a few times before you get a message saying this AD looks similar to one you've previously posted so you might have to put it under General one day and Computers the next. Put OBO in the ad so that the buyers might feel they can negotiate a bit.

If people don't think it's a fair price, they won't buy it, this guy shouldn't worry about it... fair market value is what a person is willing to pay for it. It's none of his business. Good luck.

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
That's exactly how I felt, but again, since I started this thread, he flagged it again.

I've also contacted craigslist, so now i'm just waiting.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
It's not an auction site, you have to post a price. "OBO" might be the part they're flagging it for.

That's my experience anyway.

Karried
05-14-2008, 09:09 PM
You might be able to talk about it here:

Computer Forum - oklahoma city forums - craigslist (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/forums/?forumID=34)

solitude
05-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't see how you've broken any rules, but that IS a lot for a P4 system. Look at Dell or HP to see what $700-900 gets you today. The bulk of the value of your package is the monitor.

But you haven't done anything wrong.

Karried
05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Put it under General.. although he will probably just Search for it... maybe try Ebay.

solitude
05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I just double-checked and you really do need to reconsider your price. A Dell XPS Gaming System with a Quad-Core processor, 3GB ram, 320GB RAM, Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics card is $849 after coupon.

Dual-Core specs that would blow away the P4 specs can be had at Dell for $450 including 19" monitor.

As for the used P4 systems - they don't get much more than $200. Check ebay and you'll see similar systems as yours going for $150-$300. Sad but true. Things have changed so much in three years.

I would drop much lower if I were you. Good luck!

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm just a poor kid who needs a laptop for college.. can you blame me on the price?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
The price will only keep you from selling it...But as far as I can tell...The only reason you're getting flagged is what I posted above.

CL is supposed to be set price only, not "or best offer" type stuff. I've been flagged because I threw OBO on there. An identical ad posted 3 minutes later -sans the OBO part- went fine.

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I've put OBO on a lot of items on there.. no problem. It's community flagging by individuals, not so much craigslist staff. They don't have enough of those to keep track of every city.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-15-2008, 12:14 AM
I know how flagging works.

I'm just saying...There's a ton of people out there that make it their mission to enforce ad ettiquite on CL. :tiphat:

mmonroe
05-15-2008, 06:39 AM
OK, well thanks everyone, i'm waiting on reposting this later.

metro
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't see how you've broken any rules, but that IS a lot for a P4 system. Look at Dell or HP to see what $700-900 gets you today. The bulk of the value of your package is the monitor.

But you haven't done anything wrong.

What he said ^ although technically you haven't done anything wrong. People shopping on craigslist are looking for a bargain, similar to an online garage sale, not auction like Ebay. As others stated, you're getting flagged because of personal reasons, I know some people do that if they think you're ripping off people. I love craigslist by the way, I buy a decent percentage of my stuff off there.

Karried
05-15-2008, 07:39 AM
ogts, I've put obo in a bunch of ad description in addition to the price.. that's what I was suggesting.

Not just OBO ....

I doubt any ad would get flagged by Craig's List for offering to accept an offer less than listed or indicating that you are willing to negotiate the price.

But, what I do know is that if an individual takes it upon himself to flag a listing, he can do so for any reason, and I don't think Craigslist even checks anymore, they just remove it indiscriminately.

It's a self governed classified forum but as with anything, anonymity of the internet allows people to act in ways they never would in real life.

I'm picturing a little puny computer kid who has been bullied his whole life .. this gives him great power to have your listing removed.

I've flagged postings in which I knew to be scams to try to protect some not so savvy buyers...

I just read of another elderly couple sending over 15K Western Union in a lottery scam.

So either he's just being a colossal jerk or he feels as if he is trying to protect someone from overspending...

I would just try to contact someone at Craig's List.. you got his IP.... did he email you?

metro
05-15-2008, 07:42 AM
What Karried said is right. I put OBO in almost all my ads on CL. But I also put a price (i.e. $20 obo) or ($20 or make me an offer!). Never been flagged for it either.

hipsterdoofus
05-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Yeah thats ridiculous that he's flagging you for the price...flagging should be if the post is inappropriate. Just because you are asking more than this person thinks you should, it doesn't make it so. If he thinks you are overpricing, he should put something out there cheaper.

mmonroe
05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Well, I have the guys IP address... good thing i'm not an internet vigilante...

BailJumper
05-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I would imagine it's your price that is attracting the flags (as previously stated).

You probably a dealing with someone who thinks they are 'saving' someone else from getting ripped off.

I shop/sell on CL all the time. I often see people with prices that are laughable. I just ignore them or make a 'reasonable' offer.

mmonroe
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Well I mean, I figured i'd put out a price of 900 but would take 750, I even mentioned I would go lower. But the price covered 550 for the desktop that would come with all the cables, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Then the other 200 would cover the 19" LCD monitor which I just got recently...