View Full Version : OKC tops a another best list

russellc
05-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Biggest cities, lowest rents 2008 - SlideShow - MSN Real Estate - 1 (http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=6100915)

In a Manhattan apartment that costs $1,600 a month or more to rent, you'd be lucky to have a separate bedroom, a dishwasher and a living room that fits a full couch.

Get a job transfer to Oklahoma City and a 1,228-square-foot, three-bedroom apartment in a luxury development with its own clubhouse, hot tub and swimming pool can be yours for only $989 a month.

"Renting is a very good value in Oklahoma," says Carmen Goodspeed, broker associate with Price Edwards in Oklahoma City. "It would be hard to find an apartment for $1,000 a month here. There just aren't that many."

It's unlikely that rent will drive New Yorkers to seek wide-open apartments in the Southern Plains. But there are many large, vibrant metro areas with jobs and plenty of action that don't require half a paycheck just to cover rent. Oklahoma topped the list of 20 large metro areas with populations of more than 1 million with the lowest rents, compiled for BusinessWeek.com by Reis, a New York City real-estate research firm.

The average rent in the Houston metro area was just $745 for the fourth quarter of 2007; in the Phoenix area, it was $773; in the Cleveland area, $728; and in the Cincinnati area, $692. By comparison, New York City's average asking rent was $2,825, San Francisco's was $1,861 and Boston's was $1,675. Asking rents climbed about 9% in New York and nearly 10% in San Francisco from a year earlier, according to Reis. The 12-month rent increase for the metro areas on the lowest-rent list ranged from 2.4% in St. Louis to 5.7% in Salt Lake City.

No. 1: Oklahoma City

Population: 1.18 million

Average rent: $519

12-month increase in rent: 4.2%

Median income: $46,762

Share of income used for rent: 13.3%

No. 2: Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, S.C.

No. 3: Louisville, Ky.-Ind

No. 4: Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point, N.C.

No. 5: Memphis, Tenn.-Miss.-Ark.

No. 6: Indianapolis

No. 7: Columbus, Ohio

No. 8: Birmingham-Hoover, Ala.

No. 9: San Antonio

No. 10: Kansas City, Mo.-Kan.

Karried
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Number 1 ... cool. At least it's not most obese cities again.. yay!

Tulsa made it on the top 10 Most Affordable US Markets

The 10 most affordable U.S. markets - SlideShow - MSN Real Estate - 10 (http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=5727974&imageindex=10)

stlokc
05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm glad that OKC is Number 1 on the lowest rental list...that's great for young people just starting out.

At the same time, I am actually glad OKC is not on the other list (with Tulsa). If you look at the other cities on that "lowest priced houses" list, that's not nearly as good company as on the rental list. There is something to the point that houses are cheapest to buy in cities where people don't want to live. I know there are lots of reasons that housing in OK is so cheap, but I'm glad we're not on a list that also includes Minot, North Dakota, Grayling, Michigan, and Eau Claire, Wisconsin.