View Full Version : Organic/Natural Dry Cleaners in metro?

metro
05-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I've been searching for a while now, does anyone know of any organic or natural dry cleaners in the metro? For those of you who don't know, these are dry cleaners that use natural cleaning agents instead of toxic cancer causing chemicals like most dry cleaners use (perc). Most organic cleaners aren't 100% organic chemicals, but it's still better than 100% manmade chemicals proven to cause all sorts of cancers.

bwana_bob
05-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Comet Cleaners on Kelly Avenue in Edmond recently changed their sign to emphasize the same benefit that Parkway Cleaners in Edmond began touting a few years ago: they are environmentally friendly because they don't use toxic solutions to process the clothes. In particular, they both switched from the perchloroethylene method of dry cleaning to the more eco-friendly, less-toxic pressurized liquid carbon dioxide (CO2) system. Larger urban market dry cleaners that made the same switch tout themselves as being organic however I believe there are no real differences between Parkway, in example, and a typical "organic" dry cleaner. In Oklahoma, "organic" is perceived as a premium (ergo, more expensive benefit) that may not be worth the price difference. Parkway emphasized "eco-friendly" during their switchover. For my money, the greatest attribute is the neutrality of odor - things smell clean, not dry cleaned.

metro
05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks Bob, I agree the term "organic" is mis-used and usually sold as a marketing ploy. Unless it states 100% organic or even better "bio-diverse" it isn't true 100% organic. Anyhow I will have to check out either Comet Cleaners or Parkway. Only problem is I'd have to do it for large laundry runs instead of smaller ones to justify the trip to Edmond from downtown. I believe it's Comet Cleaners that is opening up in the Legacy at Arts Summit, perhaps they will provide the same service.

FritterGirl
05-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm waiting for any and all of the dry cleaners to switch to the more eco-friendly recycled cardboard hangers. I hate throwing out those wire hangers.

John
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Parkway is the best dry cleaners in the state.

metro
05-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm waiting for any and all of the dry cleaners to switch to the more eco-friendly recycled cardboard hangers. I hate throwing out those wire hangers.

Why wait? I follow the 3 R's of recycling, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. This is actually not a new concept and can be traced to Plato in 400 B.C. Anyhow enough history, what I do is "recycle" the wire hangers and take them back to the dry cleaners so they can "reuse" them over and over again. Trust me, they appreciate that. If enough of us did that, I'm willing to bet they'd consider using more eco-friendly hangers and cleaners/chemicals.

FritterGirl
05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Why wait? I follow the 3 R's of recycling, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. This is actually not a new concept and can be traced to Plato in 400 B.C. Anyhow enough history, what I do is "recycle" the wire hangers and take them back to the dry cleaners so they can "reuse" them over and over again. Trust me, they appreciate that. If enough of us did that, I'm willing to bet they'd consider using more eco-friendly hangers and cleaners/chemicals.

I didn't know they would take them back. That's an awesome idea. I'll start turning mine in. I don't use them in my closet, and know I can't throw them in my recycle bin.

bornhere
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Which dry cleaners did Plato use?