View Full Version : PC Club Closes Doors Forever

solitude
05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
PC Club has closed their doors all over the country. They shut down abruptly today at 5:00 with no notice to employees of PC Club, PC Club.com or ClubIT.com. They have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

There's a sign on the door at their store on North May saying "Thank you for your business over the years," etc.

Kinda sad as I've bought a LOT of parts for my computers at PC Club over the years. These places are dying out. Newegg.com, Amazon.com - they get all the business.

www.pcclub.com (http://www.pcclub.com)

oneforone
05-14-2008, 12:08 AM
I think the biggest reason for their demise is the fact you can buy parts cheaper online. Not to mention you can buy a well stocked PC in a box for the same price you can build one from the ground up with no software.

connection
05-14-2008, 07:20 AM
This is my first post and I am glad to have found OKC Talk- I own Computer Conncection on N. May and have been here for 10 years (two years longer than PC Club) Over the years I have seen many dealers come and go. Computer Masters, Computer Nations, PC Systems, PC Tech, Bijoun, and more to list.

These guys went out of business primarily because they did not have enough margin (markup). You simply cannot operate a retail store and compete with Newegg or Amazon. I knew Brad Cole with Computer Masters and he just ran out of money- (with 10 stores!). PC Club could not pay its bills so their vendors cutt them off from buying. They screwed alot of people including employees, customers with pre orders and systems in the store, and vendors.

We are a bigger dealer locally than PC Club, have a nicer store, more selection, and the same technicians and staff for years. Now that CompUSA and PC Club are gone... we are the largest PC only dealer and service center in OKC Metro.

Give OKC business's a chance before you go online to shop. If you are making big purchases or regular purchases, stores like mine will offer aggressive prices to earn your business. For example: I will offer whosale price teir when you buy all the parts to build a system. However, I usually dont offer anything when a customer mentions that they need this or that and are waiting for their NewEgg order. A relationship will cost you a little more but can pay off in the end.

We are discussing taking the lease over with PC Clubs landlord. You may see another store opening soon called PC Express- Meanwhile we hope that OKC will help us grow!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
The main reason PC Club didn't keep my business is a complete failure to have any sort of customer service.

I tried to keep my money local, but every time I went in there I got nothing but shrugs.

MadMonk
05-14-2008, 09:43 AM
I was going to say the same OGTS. I used to be a fan of PC Club, but the last few times I visited, the employees made it seem like I was inconveniencing them by shopping there. I haven't checked out Computer Connection, but I'll certainly give them a chance the next time I need something.

Connection, does your shop have a website?

wsucougz
05-14-2008, 10:09 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/wsucougz/nb17pp.jpg

t3h_wookiee
05-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm not surprised. They were ridiculously overpriced.

securityinfo
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
PC Club has closed their doors all over the country. They shut down abruptly today at 5:00 with no notice to employees of PC Club, PC Club.com or ClubIT.com. They have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

There's a sign on the door at their store on North May saying "Thank you for your business over the years," etc.

Kinda sad as I've bought a LOT of parts for my computers at PC Club over the years. These places are dying out. Newegg.com, Amazon.com - they get all the business.

www.pcclub.com (http://www.pcclub.com)

Wow. I've known Charlie Liando for over 10 years... back when NT Computer existed at the old SoundTrak location on Meridian (and suffered the same fate as PC Club). I had a retail store in the mid 90's, but got out as I witnessed the inroads Dell was making into the home/small office space.

As the commercial used to say, parts is parts. I liked to buy stuff locally, so that if it was defective out of the box I could get a quick replacement. But the last time I tried that at PC Club, I had to wait 2 weeks while they sent it back to Calif. So there was really no reason to not use other sources (other than the "gotta have it now" syndrome).

Seems to me the only way to make $$ in the brick and mortar business is through labor for malware/virus removal, and data transfers for new systems (likely purchased from Sam's Club or online).

Good luck to the guy down the street with the storefront. IIRC, weren't you the bank rep for the guys at G&H years ago? Glad to see you have managed to survive all these years. Is G&H still going with the original owners?

dragonchow
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I went there yesterday too talk to the tech that was building my new system but was handed my partially built system and told to go away and feel lucky I got anything.
How do I return this? I don't know how to build it and even if I get someone to do it for me I don't want a computer with no repair contract. I have kids, cats, dogs and curious teenagers. I NEED A REPAIR CONTRACT! I don't have tech type friends, just friends who "think" they can.
The store is locked down.
They haven't responded to my emails.
HELP!!!

traxx
05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I went there yesterday too talk to the tech that was building my new system but was handed my partially built system and told to go away and feel lucky I got anything.
How do I return this? I don't know how to build it and even if I get someone to do it for me I don't want a computer with no repair contract. I have kids, cats, dogs and curious teenagers. I NEED A REPAIR CONTRACT! I don't have tech type friends, just friends who "think" they can.
The store is locked down.
They haven't responded to my emails.
HELP!!!

I guess it's a little too late now, but when they handed you a partially built computer, why didn't you just turn it down and hold onto your money? Unless you already gave them your money. If you bought with a credit card, I'd try to get that charge reversed. Afterall, they didn't give you what you paid for. That'd be like going to your local car dealer and saying "I want 'X' car" and they take your money then wheel out a crate full of parts and say "feel lucky we even gave you this."

hipsterdoofus
05-14-2008, 02:57 PM
PC Club was ok if you were in a pinch, but i'd order stuff online first. Their guys generally talked down to any customers (even if their customers knew more than they did) which is kind of annoying.

dragonchow
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM
That's what happened, I paid for the puter on Saturday and yesterday went in to talk to the tech (I waited till the only one who knew his job was available) about partitioning the HD. I wanted Linux on one part and windows on the other. They only had one guy who understood linux so I told them to let him finish up. He wasn't scheduled till Tue. after 5. I showed up at five o five. The nasty little man in the store kept screechin' "NO REFUND FOR YOU!!!" remember the soup nazi from "Seinfield"? Just like that except he was asian instead of italian. I was in shock so I just took my puter and left.

guess it's a little too late now, but when they handed you a partially built computer, why didn't you just turn it down and hold onto your money? Unless you already gave them your money. If you bought with a credit card, I'd try to get that charge reversed. Afterall, they didn't give you what you paid for. That'd be like going to your local car dealer and saying "I want 'X' car" and they take your money then wheel out a crate full of parts and say "feel lucky we even gave you this."

bornhere
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM
The thing that always bothered me about PC Club was the array of off-brand and mystery-brand parts. I felt confident buying hard drives and memory there, but I was leery of a lot of the other stuff.

There used to be a computer store chain in S Texas that had everything, and I mean everything you could possibly want, from mousepads to server racks. Every obscure cable ever made could be had there. I can't remember the name of the chain now. I want to say it was A-Tex. I wish we had one here.

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 11:13 PM
what about fryes?

bwana_bob
05-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Spend the money, buy a Mac and start running Windows XP or Vista, Linux and Mac OS X all on the same box. Cheaper in the long run, especially if you don't want to be your own IT department.

danimaldaisy
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Don't bother with MAC....they only have 6% of the market share.....

try ubuntu it's free!!!!!!!!!!:bright_id

wsucougz
05-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Don't bother with MAC....they only have 6% of the market share.....

try ubuntu it's free!!!!!!!!!!:bright_id

Skippy, from PC Club? Is that you???

actionman
05-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Don't start with an OS war here. Please. It is old and tired. That argument very much plays into: "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics..."

bwana_bob
05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Not much of a war when you run out of the box Vista or XP plus Mac OS X plus Linux on the same platform. That sounds more like platform independence and OS co-existence.

Make love, not war.

yukong
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, PC Club is back open under new ownership. It reopened on Saturday. A venture capital company has purchased it and reopened all the stores. This from their website.

S&S Public Relations Mindy Franklin (480)361-9575 mindy@sspr.com NAOC Holdings, a Los Angeles-based expansion stage venture capital firm, today announced it has acquired PC Club, a California-based personal computer retailing chain with 37 locations nationwide. The acquisition will allow all PC Club stores, as well as the chain's two retail Web sites, PCClub.com and ClubIT.com, to remain open with business as usual.

"Brick-and-mortar accessory computer stores are still a valued commodity in the US," said NAOC spokesperson Alan Hunter. "We know PC Club with its long history, quality technical service and computer accessory assortment will continue to have strong potential for continued business operations. A technology retail outlet is the next logical addition to our portfolio, and we expect this will be a mutually beneficial relationship."

NAOC Holdings has put together a group of legal, financial, and industry experts to build one of the leading home computer appliance conglomerates. The technology investment experience the company will bring to the relationship is invaluable for PC Club's retail offerings.

"Our new relationship with NAOC Holdings will give us an opportunity to grow our market share and expand beyond the western and central US," remarked Kim Chu, Senior Sales Manager at PC Club. "In addition, we'll now have the ability to reorganize and to work on expanding our compelling product line."

NAOC's acquisition of PC Club will leverage the venture capital firm's already broad investment experience with consumer electronics. Today's acquisition of PC Club's assets will allow the retailer to honor all customer and vendor relationships and agreements.

PC Club has existed as a computer parts store and repair center for professionals all across the country, offering upgrade kits, LCD monitors and other computer parts and services since 1992. The company expects the added infusion of funds to provide the means for them to expand from their current 37 locations.

The acquisition was effective as of May 15, 2008. Financial terms were not disclosed.

About NAOC

Los Angeles based NAOC is an expansion stage venture capital firm investing primarily in tech-enabled business service, information technology and communications companies. Established in 1996, NAOC manages a pool of capital in excess of $200 million, and is currently investing its fourth fund, raised in 2006. In addition to growth capital and board level guidance, NAOC offers its portfolio companies free research and M&A services along with annual executive education programs at leading business schools.

To learn more about NAOC's investment criteria and approach to value creation, please visit naoc-holdings.com.

Chain's 37 Stores and Two Ecommerce Web Sites to Remain Open for Business as Private Equity Firm Infuses Capital

They don't have much stock as of yet, but are expecting shipments to begin this Friday.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-27-2008, 05:54 PM
They'll lose $$$ as fast as you can throw it at them if something isn't done about the issues discussed here.

yukong
05-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Supposedly they are hiring all new staff and management. Maybe, just maybe, that will address some of those issues.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
One can only hope.

Toadrax
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
I really liked PCClub, but I always found their hardware to be hit and miss.

I'm willing to pay a little extra for something that works, being cheap doesn't help me when I have to take time out to return the item.

connection
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Folks! Keep in mind that holding companies are not in the computer business (nor do they want to be) - this is generally the process by which formal bankruptsy proceeding are commenced liquidating assets and in PC Clubs case, "get it on the market" durring this period and try to find a buyer to assume assets.

If you see the store fill up with merchandise then it looks like it may be a legit claim .. if not... they are spoofing customers. This holding company is doing what they do best... holding your money and keeping secrets.

I am still talking to people in my store who say that they are still getting the runnaround from online purchases (no product or money back) . I recommend telling their cc company it is fruad and get a refund. PC Club has to prove to the cc company otherwise- if they cant prove they have delivered they eat the refund.

Now that CompUSA is closed and PC Club has no product... I am having real growing pains and need a bigger location- We just celebrated 10 years.

actionman
06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Went in there today to price a system being built. The shelves are bare of MB, Hard Drives and memory. 8-10 days on getting a custom built as they are waiting on some shipments of hardware to come in.

But the service was great.

DH405
09-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Well, looks like the doors are closed again. Probably for good this time. It's a shame, really. They were the only shop that I would go to locally for parts.

I saw "connection"s post and went in to check their store out. The prices were absolutely OUTRAGEOUS. Way overpriced for mediocre products. Not to mention that nobody there seemed to care that I wanted to ask questions. Some of their items didn't even have prices on them, and I couldn't get anyone to help me out.

As an independent computer technician, it would be wonderful to have a store in town that had good prices, nice product, and a good selection. Computer Connection is not that store.

I'll likely just start ordering my parts online.

Folks, don't spend 2x what you would online. Also, go find someone you can trust to work on your computers. That ISN'T the Geek Squad. NOT Firedog. I don't know about Computer Connection's techs, but I wouldn't bet on 'em.

(Please note that I do NOT want to use this as a place to advertise myself. I'm not putting someone down to make myself look good, I just don't want to see people spend way too much.)

bluedogok
09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
There used to be a computer store chain in S Texas that had everything, and I mean everything you could possibly want, from mousepads to server racks. Every obscure cable ever made could be had there. I can't remember the name of the chain now. I want to say it was A-Tex. I wish we had one here.
Altex (http://www.altex.com/) is stil around but the Austin store doesn't have that much in the way of computer components compared to some other places. It is a great place for cabling and such.

what about fryes?
I build my own and Fry's is pretty much where I buy most computer parts anymore, OKC needs one. There are a couple of mail order places that I use as well but Fry's gets most of it. We have another store here in Austin called Discount Electronics (http://www.discountelectronics.com/) which specializes in corporate buybacks and Dell lease returns. It is a good place for cheap computers and accessories. I bought my 5 y.o. nephew a small box Dell with WinXP for $99.00 and the Dell keyboard and mouse were $5.00 each. It was perfect for a basic computer and got my nephew off my sisters laptop.

When I lived in OKC and needed something immediately I pretty much bought most of the parts from G&H on North May in The Village and Computer USA (I think that's the name) at NW 27th & MacArthur.

SoonerDave
09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I will pick up the occasional part or gadget at Computer Max over on I-240 and S. Western; they're one of the last places that still has tons of miscellaneous cables and connectors that can be hard to find. You can buy everything you need to build a PC, from the case, motherboard, CPU, memory, the works. Their prices are only OK, not great, but its a local vendor and it certainly doesn't hurt to support the local guys if you get a chance.

Toadrax
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Computer connection was the only place on the north side that would sell me an AGP graphics card for under $100, fyi.

Retail computer stores seem expensive compared to what you see online... but try comparing them to places like best buy...

hipsterdoofus
09-05-2008, 08:14 AM
If you aren't computer savvy but have a friend that is, chances are you could get them to buy you a part online and pay them to install it and still be under what the retail places are.

CCOKC
09-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Or you could do what I did. Have a son, wait 14 years and magically things just get fixed or "upgraded".

scootinger
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, looks like the doors are closed again. Probably for good this time. It's a shame, really. They were the only shop that I would go to locally for parts.

I saw "connection"s post and went in to check their store out. The prices were absolutely OUTRAGEOUS. Way overpriced for mediocre products. Not to mention that nobody there seemed to care that I wanted to ask questions. Some of their items didn't even have prices on them, and I couldn't get anyone to help me out.

As an independent computer technician, it would be wonderful to have a store in town that had good prices, nice product, and a good selection. Computer Connection is not that store.

I'll likely just start ordering my parts online.

Folks, don't spend 2x what you would online. Also, go find someone you can trust to work on your computers. That ISN'T the Geek Squad. NOT Firedog. I don't know about Computer Connection's techs, but I wouldn't bet on 'em.

(Please note that I do NOT want to use this as a place to advertise myself. I'm not putting someone down to make myself look good, I just don't want to see people spend way too much.)

I would stay away from Computer Connection. A while back I was working on a (quite old) computer that I had to reinstall Windows 98 on where the system was built by (and also had the original installation of Windows installed by) Computer Connection. I found out that the operating system's key was a pirated key (used a keyfinder app and googled the key out of curiosity, and got lots of results.) This was a computer that was owned by a business, and could have exposed the business owner to a lot of liability.

In defense I will say that that the pirated software was probably installed a very long time ago, and the company's practices could have changed (or possibly it could have been a bad employee.) I know that CC's owner is on here, and if he has something to say then I'd be willing to listen. And similarly I don't make a business out of computer work, so I'm not trying to advertise here.

sgray
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Scootinger,

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the key? Was it the existing one in the machine's os or on the book/coa?

Reason I ask is that a lot of the shops I know (as well as ours) had pre-built images to make dropping the os onto a new box a breeze...especially for an animal like windows! Anyways, back then not a lot of cloning tools made it easy to set the keycode after it was setup and imaged. So most of the time, we used some bogus key (for win95 it was the easy 0's and 95 followed by 0's) and never bothered to change it on the box, HOWEVER the customer got their official book and coa with a genuine factory keycode to have in-hand.

Keep in mind, there was not the oem preinstall toys we have today where one can prompt for the keycode after the installed image has been built. Back then nobody really cared anyway because the OS didn't 'phone home' to microsoft OR do any kind of auto update that required activation. Obviously, things have changed today...microsoft has become much more of a pain in the a** and thus we now have had to come up with better tools.

I would be interested to know where your illegit key was...already on the box or on the book/coa that came with the machine.

I don't know the guys at computer connection, but they have been there a long time...certainly that code was just used to build the image though.

Jethrol
07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Stay away from Computer Connections.

A few years ago, I was buying tons of computer parts and building systems like crazy. I primarily bought form PC Club and online but occasionally would buy from Compu USA and Computer Connections. I bought a CD Rom drive from CC and it was dead out of the box, when I returned it, I was told to pick another one from the shelf. Easy and simple and I thought...hmm...nice attitude. But I got home to find that it too was DOA but this time, there was a receipt from another customer IN THE BOX. Yep it appears that CC simply put the previously sold version back out on the shelves and sold it again as new. That's not only wrong, it's illegal. However we're only talking about a small amount of money for a CD Rom drive so I didn't pursue anything further and simply wrote them off as bad businessmen.

The other thing I noticed when I was in there, they seemed to have a huge selection of out of date inventory. Lots of things from 1-2 years before with very high prices. Many times they were more expensive than compUSA.

There's simply no reason NOT to buy online. Connection talks about building a relationship like if you come in and kiss his/her butt, you'll get a discount. Meh...I'll save my time, buy online and be able to afford more stuff with warranties and I'll know it's brand new because places like Newegg simply won't take the chance of selling something old as new.

Last I checked G&H computers was still around and doing great business. Larger store, friendly staff and things like that. I've also heard that compusa will be or is already out of bankruptcy and looking to open new stores so don't be surprised if we see them again really soon.

Jon27
07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
The signs are gone, and the building is now for sale at PC Club.

Don't bother, shop Newegg for parts. The stores around the city are too high.

bluedogok
07-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Part of CompUSA (http://www.compusa.com/) (and the name) was bought by the Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/) people, there are still CompUSA stores (http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/index.asp) around (mostly Florida but a few in Texas, Illinois, North Carolina and one in Puerto Rico) and they still sell mail order, I still get email ads from them.

I have a local that I buy some parts from down here (Austin) called Discount Electronics, they deal a bunch in used systems getting the bulk of the Dell lease returns and we also have a Fry's (http://www.frys.com/) which is where I buy most of the parts to build my new systems from. Items like OEM software or some specialty items I get from Directron (http://www.directron.com/) out of Houston or Multiwave (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/index.hmx?) out of California or Newegg. Multiwave is where I bought most everything when I lived in OKC.

venture
07-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Majority of retail stores like this are going away if they can't subsidize their business through service contracts. I've been in the business for years now and if you think you can make a living selling memory chips or video cards, you are doomed to fail. Newegg and Tiger help show just what the true margins are in these things. People going to the Best Buys or even local shops are just getting flat ripped off - you are paying what equates to (normally) an 80 to 200% mark up on some items. I've moved away from selling items like that, dealing more in completed systems either new or refurb from the main manufacturers. Granted I'll have a request for upgrade items or what not every now and then, and it is amazing looking at the pricing difference from the main retailers and the wholesale suppliers Ingram, Tech Data, Synnex, etc.

Yeah it is nice to support your local stores, but unfortunately you are likely getting taken for ride. If they find a need to continue to jack prices up so high, it is obvious they are unable to convert their business to meet the current conditions - low margins rule products, high margins are only in contract/repair services.

sgray
07-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Jethrol,

It's interesting that you mention the 'known DOA product' being placed back on the shelf. About 12 years ago, I managed a local computer store here and the owner had a similar attitude. In fact, his exact orders to me were to "put it back on the shelf and sell it to some unsuspecting customer". He would go all out and fight with the next person who bought the product when they brought it back in. Needless to say, I moved on from that place. It's sad that a few local outfits give the local folks a bad taste. You mention stores like G&H...now that guy knows how to run a business. I gladly pay his prices, which I think are always fair. I have bought from him since about the time they started out many, many years ago. I remember going into that old, nasty building they were in for a while...across the street I think. That was early to mid-90s. Anyone know what happened to the guy that owned/ran M&N computers on 23rd and Penn? I think he owns the strip there...and I see there is still computer stuff there when you look in thru the windows, but he is never open and they don't answer the phone. Man, I miss the days of going into the local computer stores and talking tech. All they lacked was a small cafe/coffee shop linked to them next door. In the late 80's/early 90's, I would take my box into Central Computer in Edmond (where I lived at the time) and buy what I needed and sit down and install it right there in the store, while talking tech with the staff and other customers. That was cool.

You also make a good point about local brick-and-mortar businesses. We were all taught to support local, buy local, right? I can certainly understand and accept a higher price locally for 1) convenience (online doesn't happen TODAY), 2) superior service and knowledge on the product, and 3) superior quality. Local just simply isn't local anymore with few exceptions here and there.

So many of the 'local' businesses have been run off by national companies selling an inferior product for a very high price, keeping very little in-stock, and hiring/paying cheap, inexperienced labor who could care less about you or your purchase. I strongly support the online references made by others here and only buy from these "local" national establishments when it's an absolute emergency. For the most part, you can't get real service anymore, so why pay a premium at all. Newegg that new drive and save some cash!

Ever tried to buy something at Best Buy...like, for instance, a short HDMI cable??? OUCH! A hundred bucks???!!! Yeah, like venture said. You walk in the door, you're gonna ride the ride.

bluedogok
07-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I avoid going to Best Buy to get anything like that unless I need it immediately and the local cheaper alternatives (Discount Electronics or Fry's but it is in Far North Austin) do not have it. If I have the time to wait I will just order from Monoprice or some other online vendor.

If I needed stuff quick in OKC, I always went to G&H or USA Computer, especially for cables.

Jethrol
07-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Jethrol,

It's interesting that you mention the 'known DOA product' being placed back on the shelf.
Ugh...that's just not right. Why do people have to screw over their customers like that? Makes no sense to me.

Man, I miss the days of going into the local computer stores and talking tech. All they lacked was a small cafe/coffee shop linked to them next door. In the late 80's/early 90's, I would take my box into Central Computer in Edmond (where I lived at the time) and buy what I needed and sit down and install it right there in the store, while talking tech with the staff and other customers. That was cool.
You know, I was just talking to my friends about this. We need a Fry's. Those stores are so much fun....even if I don't buy anything I just love hanging out there with my friend. Sadly I only visit one when I go visit a buddy in Dallas.

I strongly support the online references made by others here and only buy from these "local" national establishments when it's an absolute emergency. For the most part, you can't get real service anymore, so why pay a premium at all. Newegg that new drive and save some cash!
Yeah it's sad isn't it? I really would like a store here that I could count on but sadly, I've just been burned too many times.

Firefly831
07-20-2009, 01:51 AM
My husbands first job was at a lil computer shop called computer knights. No he just corrected me his first job was at northstar then he worked at computer knights.

Its true that there is almost no reason to not order from newegg although I do occasionally like to and see the faces of shocked geeks when I know what Im talking about. Last month or so hubby needed a adapter (molax to 6 pin pci express power adapter) The guy behind the counter actually forgot what he was doing because i said the word molax correctly.

Martin
07-20-2009, 05:29 AM
i do occasionally like to and see the faces of shocked geeks when i know what im talking about. last month or so hubby needed a adapter (molax to 6 pin pci express power adapter) the guy behind the counter actually forgot what he was doing because i said the word molax correctly.

or maybe he was shocked because you didn't say 'molex' correctly? i kid, i kid!

-M

DaveSkater
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I've built many systems from the ground up. Loads of fun, loads of dough.

There is most definately a hole that should be able to be filled by the right business model. There are so many people with computers now, one on every desk, one for each man woman and child, yet the big box stores: CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.... that went out of business have made the hole even deeper. PC-Club was good if you needed to build a server level machine overnight, or needed a power supply and a couple of add on cards.

I quit building systems. For games I use the consoles now. For servers, I just get a Dell. For client computers I just buy a HP system and forget about it. (I maintain a 20 user network here at my company)

venture
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I quit building systems. For games I use the consoles now. For servers, I just get a Dell. For client computers I just buy a HP system and forget about it. (I maintain a 20 user network here at my company)

I've stuck mainly with Dells so far. Definitely with you on the servers...hard to beat the price point and performance on the Dell side. Client side...I have really been impressed with their Vostro line. Personally I like my XPS 720. :-X

bbhill
07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
If you aren't shopping online for electronics, you are overpaying. Period. End of story. You no longer need the expertise of employees at a small computer store. All the information you need to know can be found easily with a single Google search. I buy 80% of all my technology online. Most items from Newegg even come with free shipping.

The only reason to shop local would be to support a genuinely good company (not Best Buy or Staples, or Office Depot) or if you needed an item immediately. The only time I've found an item for cheaper at a store was this spring when I got an external 1 tb hd for under $100 with tax included at Best Buy.

If you must go into a big box retailer, don't even bother asking for assistance. Many employees will lie or try to upsell additional and unnecessary addons/features. Or even worse, they simply just won't know what they are talking about. Its not their fault, however--just not enough training. And don't even get me started on monster cables or Geek Squad. endrant :p

Moral of the story is: shop online and save lots of money. If you are technically inclined, help out a less fortunate friend or relative make the right purchases. If you aren't technically inclined, ask a friend. haha

bluedogok
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
I've stuck mainly with Dells so far. Definitely with you on the servers...hard to beat the price point and performance on the Dell side. Client side...I have really been impressed with their Vostro line. Personally I like my XPS 720. :-X
We have Dell servers and workstations at work, at home I build my own with sale parts from Fry's, except for the video card I wanted (ATI FirePro) which I ordered from NewEgg. Before everything cratered we were looking at new BOXX Technologies (http://www.boxxtech.com/) systems, their HQ & assembly is about a mile from our offices, a little closer than the Dell's Round Rock stuff by a few miles.

Jethrol
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
For those who are curious, G&H is still in business. I just drove by today at lunch, the lights were on, the OPEN sign was on and there were cars in the parking lot. Just south of Hefner Road on May Avenue, west side of the street.

S!xStr!ng
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I hate to revive an old thread, but I too bought my last system from PC Club in 07, I also purchased a 3year warranty only to find that my recently crashed $300 video card will not be replaced for free...

I should have known something was wrong when I purchased my system and I had to wait on the monitor because the one I ordered they did not have in stock and could not get it anymore... which kind of worked out for me because I got a better one without paying the difference. But the warranty was the reason I bought from them in the first place. If any component failed, they were suppose to replace the part, free of labor charges and if it needed to be upgraded that would have been free too.

Anyone happen to know of a way to get them to honor their warranty?

smooth
03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I hate to revive an old thread, but I too bought my last system from PC Club in 07, I also purchased a 3year warranty only to find that my recently crashed $300 video card will not be replaced for free...

I should have known something was wrong when I purchased my system and I had to wait on the monitor because the one I ordered they did not have in stock and could not get it anymore... which kind of worked out for me because I got a better one without paying the difference. But the warranty was the reason I bought from them in the first place. If any component failed, they were suppose to replace the part, free of labor charges and if it needed to be upgraded that would have been free too.

No. That was not a sign "something was wrong." Products go out of production all the time. The companies that have internet sites can not always keep up with this. Plus, it may have been available in other locations and the company may have had a no transfer policy for products.

scootinger
03-05-2010, 11:01 AM
First, it's probably not a $300 video card anymore. If it was worth $300 then, you can probably buy something better now for less than $100. Are you decent with computers? It's not difficult to install a new videocard...and if you don't want to do it, you could probably have a local PC shop do it for <$40 or so.

Also, you could see if the videocard is possibly under warranty. Many video cards have decent warranties, and some even have lifetime warranties. Who made the videocard?

Finally, there's a possibility that the warranty might actually be run by a third party. Do you have any paperwork relating to the warranty? I doubt that it would have been the case with PC Club, but see if there's any mention as to another entity that operates the warranty program. If not, then there's no way to make anyone honor it, as PC Club and its parent company no longer exist.

As a last resort...if you bought it with a good credit card, you might want to see if your CC has any sort of extended warranty program. They might be able to help you somehow.

animeGhost
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
^^^^^^
I agree... Video cards have a very low failure rate so a lot of manufactures offer a lifetime warranty on their cards. He is also correct in most purchased warranties or protection programs are backed by a third-party insurer. You should try to find the paperwork and find out who that is.

lgolson
03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I worked at PC Club from about Oct 2007 -Jan 2009. The warranties were 100% by PC Club. There was no 3rd party involved. As I recall EVGA and Gigabyte carry a lifetime warranty on many of their cards. MSI does not.

S!xStr!ng
03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Its a EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS and I don't think they even make them anymore as there is a 8800 GT that is a step up for about the same price of the GTS when it was new.

I'm currently looking into the warranty with EVGA not sure that will get me anywhere or not but its worth a shot.

Thanks for all the input, its much appreciated.

S!xStr!ng
03-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I worked at PC Club from about Oct 2007 -Jan 2009. The warranties were 100% by PC Club. There was no 3rd party involved. As I recall EVGA and Gigabyte carry a lifetime warranty on many of their cards. MSI does not.

Do you know of a way for me to get my video card replaced?

I visited the EVGA site and I would have had to register my card on their site 30 days after my purchase, obviously I did not do this because the warranty was with PC Club, and I was not informed to register anything online.

Thanks!

bluedogok
03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Try G&H Computers (http://www.wesellcoolstuff.com/) on North May in The Village, they have many reasonable priced "white box" cards that you could replace it with or they can replace it for you. They have video cards starting around $35.00. I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from them when I lived in OKC.

Is it a PCI, AGP or PCI-Express?

Jethrol
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM

One of the deceptive things about PC Club was that they always talked about how they stood by their products and for the most part, they did. However, if they didn't then they would help in shipping something back to the vendor. They helped me many times with this.

While they might very well have deceived you, my experience with PC CLub was generally speaking quite positive.

They declared bankruptcy so the only way you can get any money back is to file a claim with the bankruptcy court. However, there is a time limit on this and I would guess that it's already passed because they went out of business many years ago.

S!xStr!ng
03-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Try G&H Computers (http://www.wesellcoolstuff.com/) on North May in The Village, they have many reasonable priced "white box" cards that you could replace it with or they can replace it for you. They have video cards starting around $35.00. I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from them when I lived in OKC.

Is it a PCI, AGP or PCI-Express?

Its a PCI-E, and I'll most likely be buying another EVGA product only I'll make sure the warranty is with them and not a third party.

S!xStr!ng
03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
One of the deceptive things about PC Club was that they always talked about how they stood by their products and for the most part, they did. However, if they didn't then they would help in shipping something back to the vendor. They helped me many times with this.

While they might very well have deceived you, my experience with PC CLub was generally speaking quite positive.

They declared bankruptcy so the only way you can get any money back is to file a claim with the bankruptcy court. However, there is a time limit on this and I would guess that it's already passed because they went out of business many years ago.

I really did not have a bad experience when I bought my system from PC Club, in fact it was quite the opposite. I went in and told them what I wanted and how much I was prepared to spend, and a week later it was sitting on my desk, minus the monitor of course, but I only had to wait another day or two for that to come in and it was a better monitor then the one I originally picked out and I did not have to pay the difference for it either.

All in all, I liked PC Club, and wish they were still in business, but that does not help me with my video card issue.

Time to buy a new one, put it in myself.