View Full Version : OKC Among Best Cities For Outdoors

jclick
05-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Forbes.com keeps it coming, as they just released their "America's Best Cities For The Outdoors" and ranked Oklahoma City as their #27 pick. I anticipate with all that's going on in development efforts in the inner-city area, this ranking will likely improve in the future.

Full story:
http://www.modernlandrun.com/story/okc_among_best_cities_for_outdoors

Link to OKC's listing:
In Depth: America's Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/12/outdoors-health-cities-forbeslife-cx_rr_0512realestate_slide_15.html?thisSpeed=30000 )

metro
05-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Another positive piece. Kind of sad only 3.8% of our city land is park land. Looks like most cities are hovering around 10-12%. NYC, Boston and DC are around 20%. We also get a crappy picture of a golf course instead of our skyline like most of the other cities.

jclick
05-13-2008, 07:53 AM
True, albeit better than one with the obligatory "wife-beater" and references to things "soundin' like a freight train." ;)

jclick
05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
On that note, there should be a source for a solid, regularly-updated "City Press Kit," which includes open-licensed print-quality photography, state logo, flag, major city logos, and such for publications to have access to for such use.

Control the message, control the image...

okiebadger
05-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Another positive piece. Kind of sad only 3.8% of our city land is park land. Looks like most cities are hovering around 10-12%. NYC, Boston and DC are around 20%. We also get a crappy picture of a golf course instead of our skyline like most of the other cities.

Well, the article WAS about the outdoors wasn't it?

kevinpate
05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I dunno metro ... dad and lad on the links accompanying a listing of being a right decent outdoor city. Makes sense to me. I noted St. Louis has, yet again, a pic looking through the arch. I don't think that screams outdoor fun myself.

As for our low percentage points re devoted recreation land, blame the sprawl I suppose.

metro
05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
On that note, there should be a source for a solid, regularly-updated "City Press Kit," which includes open-licensed print-quality photography, state logo, flag, major city logos, and such for publications to have access to for such use.

Control the message, control the image...

Well said......You should email your idea to Christy Yeager (sp?) at the city. She handles the media.

AFCM
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but OKC ranks #27 out of 40. The study was done among the 40 largest cities. If every city were included, you would see Boise, ID somewhere in the top 10.

FritterGirl
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Well said......You should email your idea to Christy Yeager (sp?) at the city. She handles the media.

Kristy Yager.

Actually, the CVB already offers that service since it is really their function to do so (as promoters and marketers of the City).

They have a media page on their website, and a flickr account where publications can go to make media requests as well as download OKC approved photography.

tuck
05-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Austin is ranked #8, so I would say the difference between #8 and OKC #27 is huge!!! The worst area of Austin has more outdoor activity than OKC's best, most frequented...maybe Lake Hefner. Outdoor activity in Austin is not only promoted, it is almost a requirement by local businesses.

FritterGirl
05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
As we continue to grow and develop the C2S and riverfront areas, especially the proposed "Central Park" concept, I believe we'll see our numbers grow exponentially.

jclick
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Actually, the CVB already offers that service since it is really their function to do so (as promoters and marketers of the City).

Please forgive me, FritterGirl. The "CVB"? Do you have a link you can point me towards?

FritterGirl
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry about that.

Try the link here: OKC Convention and Visitors' Bureau (http://www.okccvb.org/index.php?src=)

There is a "media" section which provides information to members of the media, including press kit and photo requests.

There is also a section under "About Oklahoma City" that posts relevant news articles from outside publications (for those they have permission rights to post and link to).

sgt. pepper
05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
We also get a crappy picture of a golf course instead of our skyline like most of the other cities.
maybe we don't want a view of our skyline. It will show the bomb exploding in the background, or you could not see it because of the blizzard, or you would see a skyscraper getting blown off its foundation. #27 is pretty good considering we are #5 on the hell hole of cities not to visit.

PennyQuilts
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I live in the DC area and they spend a lot more on recreation and have a lot more land designated for parks. Thing is, parks are where the kids can go to play in a lot of places and it is ALLthey have. That OKC has less land devoted to parks says more about the availability of true outdoor areas close by than anything else. If you live in NYC, they have a lot more land, percentage-wise, devoted to parks but the kids are living in apartments with no yards, even school yards, in which to play. I can't help but wince everytime I see concrete beneath monkey bars and swing sets. A recipe for a head injury, seems to me. In OKC, a kid's yard is as nice as many of the parks some of the cities are credited with.

Kerry
05-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Kind of sad only 3.8% of our city land is park land. Looks like most cities are hovering around 10-12%. NYC, Boston and DC are around 20%.

It is probably because OKC has about 650 sq miles in the denominator. If they just used the urbanized portion of the city, about 250 sq miles, then that number would jump up to around 14% which would probably go along ways towards improving the over all ranking.

jbrown84
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
None of their pictures came from city agencies or CVB's. They are all AP or iStock.

FritterGirl
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
None of their pictures came from city agencies or CVB's. They are all AP or iStock.

Which is really sad, because many of istock's OKC photos are really outdated for the most part.

metro
05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
It is probably because OKC has about 650 sq miles in the denominator. If they just used the urbanized portion of the city, about 250 sq miles, then that number would jump up to around 14% which would probably go along ways towards improving the over all ranking.

Jacksonville ranked much higher than us, and they have more sq. miles than us. We just don't put an emphasis on parks and recreation as other cities do. Remember when the Route 66 park opened a year or two ago? It was the first park built in OKC in over 20 years.

solitude
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Jacksonville ranked much higher than us, and they have more sq. miles than us. We just don't put an emphasis on parks and recreation as other cities do. Remember when the Route 66 park opened a year or two ago? It was the first park built in OKC in over 20 years.

Hmmm......very good point, Metro.

edcrunk
05-13-2008, 11:33 PM
will the park in C2S add to the percentage much?

Kerry
05-14-2008, 07:16 AM
The thing with Jacksonville is that they have a strip of land called "the beach" that is all parkland. It is about 200 yards wide and runs for 20 miles. It also has the St Johns River that is 3 miles wide in some places and winds about 40 miles through the city. Those 2 features are probably what gives Jax a higher percentage. I am not trying to say OKC has enough parkland so more isn't needed. I am just trying to see how they get to the percentages.

traxx
05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I live in the DC area and they spend a lot more on recreation and have a lot more land designated for parks. Thing is, parks are where the kids can go to play in a lot of places and it is ALLthey have. That OKC has less land devoted to parks says more about the availability of true outdoor areas close by than anything else. If you live in NYC, they have a lot more land, percentage-wise, devoted to parks but the kids are living in apartments with no yards, even school yards, in which to play. I can't help but wince everytime I see concrete beneath monkey bars and swing sets. A recipe for a head injury, seems to me. In OKC, a kid's yard is as nice as many of the parks some of the cities are credited with.

I second that. When you're just looking at the numbers it can make the greater OKC area look bad -- acres of parkland/sq. mile of city etc. I've been to a good handfull of the cities listed above us and as far as outdoor activity, I think the OKC area has plenty to offer. The larger cities have more planned or organized outdoor/park type stuff but we have more outdoors.

East Coast is right. Most of us (especially with families) live in single family dwellings instead of highrise apartments. We have a large backyard with a jungle gym fort that our kids play on daily. And it's quite easy for us to head down to the Canadian riverbed and ride four wheelers or to go to a friends place to ride horses or go fishing. For those in the larger cities, it would be an all day trek to do that stuff.