View Full Version : A crumbling pier supporting the Belle Isle Bridge

Joe Kimball
05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I cannot remember, even when I was lurking before joining, whether this bridge was discussed. I'd be surprised if it wasn't, but while driving past yesterday I took this shot, a zoom-in detail of which is attached ATM.

Is this being addressed?

OKCTalker
05-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Which part of the bridge is this? Where were you when you shot it? Yikes!

Joe Kimball
05-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Excuse me, I forgot that detail---this is heading east on NW Expressway, just before Classen Blvd.

Midtowner
05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, Belle Isle Bridge is not connected to any of the city fathers' development projects like the I-40 one is, therefore, it's not newsworthy.

The rocker bearings also seem to be tilted just a bit, FWIW. I've always thought that the Belle Isle Bridge looks to be in far worse shape than the Crosstown, again, for financial reasons, that's just not a priority.

metro
05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
that's pretty scary, you should send this to the newsrooms at the local tv stations

BabyBoomerSooner
05-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Should we pass a MAPS for safety tax to fix our troubled bridges?

Midtowner
05-11-2008, 09:13 AM
We should have federal funds to repair that bridge since it's an interstate. I

kevinpate
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Metropolitan Underpasses Done Safely aka MUDS :)

Big MAC
05-11-2008, 07:51 PM
The problem is that transportation funds all too often get raided by the legislature ofr other projects. I just wih that when money were allocated for projects, programs, etc... that politicians were forced to keep their money grubbing hands off of the funds.

Marc

bwana_bob
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Having built many bridges in my life time using everything from Legos to Lincoln Logs to Tinker Toys, I can assure you that this bridge probably needs half or less of the piers, I-beams and other support apparatus that is called into question in this post. I can also assure you that if you cut all of the hair off of your sister's Barbie doll, it will not grow back.

Dean Vernon Wormer: The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.