View Full Version : auto glass

Martin
05-09-2008, 05:22 AM
so... my windshield picked up a little souvenir from the highway.

any recommendations on a place to install a new one? obviously i can google locations... i just don't know which place will do the best job.

-M

Karried
05-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Sorry to hear that.. how large is the damage ?

If it's small enough and hasn't spread, you can use something ( a filler ) that will stop the traveling.

I don't know of any windshied installers. What area are you wanting to go to?

FRISKY
05-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I have had several windshields replaced and would recommend City Glass (They might have changed their name, it's in the 800 block of NW 5) in downtown OKC or Binswanger Glass (http://www.binswangerglass.com/index.asp) in Norman. Binswanger is also very good at fixing small cracks and chips or re-gluing the rearview mirror.

I would not recommend Safelite Glass. They did a terrible job on my Corvette. They failed after two attempts to repair a severe leak on the new glass they had installed.

Martin
05-09-2008, 07:53 AM
it was a heck of a whallop so the windshield was cracked by the time i made it to the office.

thanks a bunch, frisky... i was actually looking into safelite... not now.

-M

flintysooner
05-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Safelite did a great job for me. I used the web site for both price and appointment. I was surprised at the price because it was cheaper than the dealership had quoted me. The company followed up with a phone call before the appointment. The technician arrived at exactly the appointment time.

There was an additional problem as I recall that required him leaving to get another part but other than that everything was done very professionally and very well.

We also had him repair cracks on two other vehicles at the same time.

I did call other places and enjoyed less than courteous service.

FFLady
05-09-2008, 11:18 AM
National Auto Glass came to my house to replace my Daughter's windshield. The Guy that showed up also repaired a small chip in hubby's windshield for no charge (which is usally a $20 repair). I would highly recommend them....

BailJumper
05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I've used the windshield place on NW Expressway just East of Penn Square. They were the cheapest when I called around and they will even 'deal' if you try.

Son got a new windshield a few months ago for about $113.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I've used both City Glass (I seem to recall my uncle owning that place about 20 years ago) and Gem Glass (Jem Glass?) in Moore. Both had great prices and took care of me quickly.

I'm going to try a third place soon though. Those hailstorms busted the windshield in one of my trucks. :(

Karried
05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Speaking of cracked windshields and hail...

Has anyone ever heard of some sort of pop up or portable hail protector for cars that aren't in a garage or covered? Would it even work?

If not, who wants to invent one with me ? ... My husbands truck is pretty high and won't fit in the garage so you should see us if we think hail is coming!

lol, we even threw a mattress that we had in the garage on top of the hood and over the windshield one night to protect it ..lol, that still cracks me up.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I had two padded moving blankets across the hood of my truck, and it still beat the crap out of it. I didn't put anything on the roof, and it looks about the same as the hood.

Sad part is...I've got a three car garage, and can't park the pickup in there because of all the toys/tools/hotrod...So I stood there and watched my truck get pummeled. :(

FRISKY
05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I've got a three car garage, and can't park the pickup in there because of all the toys/tools/hotrod... Donate the hotrod to me, problem solved!

FRISKY
05-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Has anyone ever heard of some sort of pop up or portable hail protector for cars that aren't in a garage or covered?I don't know of any temporary shelter that would stand up to a fierce Oklahoma wind, but there is a very reasonably priced permanent shelter/carport made out of metal that would probably work.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Donate the hotrod to me, problem solved!

I'll donate it to you for $23,000!

windowphobe
05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I've used the windshield place on NW Expressway just East of Penn Square.

This is Glass Masters, which is on the corner of NW Expressway and Blackwelder; I was happy with the work they did on my previous car.

BailJumper
05-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes, there is a thing that looks kinda like an odd pool floaty (sp) mattress. You put it over your car and plug it into your cigarette lighter and it inflates. From what I remember it was kinda awkward to use but seemed to work. Marketed to apartment complexes. I saw it years ago. No idea if they are still around.

Karried
05-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Everyone always beats me to my great inventions.

I always joked that I wanted to invent a suit that was like Bubble Wrap for my kids.. cuz I never wanted them to get hurt especially on their bikes... and I wanted an airbag! ha.ha.. guess what? I just saw a motorcycle jacket that has an airbag in it that inflates when it comes detached from the bike.

I knew it was a good idea! darn it.

One of my favorite shows was American Inventor...

metro
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I've had great work with CityGlass and Safelite. I've always had better service and heard better stories from CityGlass though. I'd recommend CityGlass since they are a local store and longtime institution of OKC. I believe Safelite is a national chain.

Martin
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

sorry for the delay in getting an update on this... a super-busy schedule means that i've just now gotten this fixed.

i ended up taking my vehicle to city glass. every part of the process was easy. everyone was courteous and the windshield looks exactly like it did when i drove off the lot... no cheap knockoff replacement. so far i'm pleased and would recommend them to anybody.

-M