View Full Version : Oklahoma Walk of Fame- revisited

Patrick
12-14-2004, 11:12 AM
mranderson and I have kind of been working behind the scenes discussing the Oklahoma Walk of Fame that was discussed on this forum several weeks ago. downtownguy had encouraged us to try to come up with a project to impact Bricktown that we as a group could work on. After much though, many of us felt an Oklahoma Walk of Fame along the canal in Lower Bricktown would probably be the most feasible project, especially since many of the costs would be payed for by the honoree. And of course, the Bricktown Association could manage and maintain the project, as they do the rest of Bricktown.

At this point, my question is....should we use stars like they do in Hollywood, or come up with some other symbol?

Also, at some point, we may have to get an electronic petition floating around the site. We'll get to that at a later date. Finally, in the end, we may want to consider forming a group, kind of like we did with OCART many years ago. This group could be members from this forum who would be willing to take a leadership role in a group to present our ideas to the Bricktown Association, city council, Jim Brewer, Randy Hogan, etc. As many of you know, one person isn't going to make that big of an impact. The more people we have involved in such a project, the greater the chance we have of this becoming a reality. Numbers speak!

This is probably a more feasible project than others we've discussed. Attracting a restaurant or other venue would lay more in the hands of the private corporation. Building a space needle type development would be incredibly expensive. This project wouldn't cost the Bricktown Association or us anything. The honorees would pay for the marble symbol layed in concrete! Just like in Hollywood.

As time goes on, I'll be asking for your support in coordinating efforts to try to get this off the ground.

Just for kicks, here's an email I recently sent to Mick Cornett, mayor of our great city. When I receive a reply, I'll let you know.

If you have any suggestions or comments on the Oklahoma Walk of Fame inLower Bricktown Project please let us know.

Oh I forgot...we may even consider getting the Centennial Commission and Blake Wade involved in this...they've been extremely involved with other Centennial Projects on the Bricktown Canal, most notably, the Land Run monument, and the Centennial Fountain. We'd of course start locally with the Bricktown Association and Jim Brewer though, and of course the Oklahoma City City Council.

"Hi Mick,

This idea has been floating around on OKC Talk for quite some time now. We've been considering presenting this idea to the Bricktown Association, Jim Brewer, and Randy Hogan, and maybe later the council, but we're just discussing the idea right now. Anyways, we've taken note of other walks of fame, like those in St. Louis and of course Hollywood. We have no local Walk of Fame anywhere in the state of Oklahoma. With Toby Keith's Roadhouse and the Harkin's Theater in close proximity, and the amphitheater directly below the Sonic Building, the sidewalks along the canal in lower Bricktown would be prime for such a project as the "Oklahoma Walk of Fame." In addition, the area is surrounded by concrete walls.....information about some of the local stars could be posted on the concrete walls. Right now, this area is mostly gray concrete.....an Oklahoma Walk of Fame could really brighten up this area and give Bricktown another tourist attraction. Marble stars (or some other symbol of recognition) could be placed on the dull concrete walks, spaced appropriately.

You may ask, who would pay for such a project? Well, Hollywood requires the honoree to pay the installation costs. We could follow their policy. We could also have a scholorship program for some indictees. Maybe a corporation like Sonic (they're the closest to the impact zone) could pitch in money for scholarships.

Who would receive stars? Well, a few (maybe 5) could be issued every year, but mostly just famous stars from Oklahoma....like Reba McEntire, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Vince Gill, Jim Thorpe, Billy Sims, Barry Switzer, Shannon Miller, etc.

What if we run out of space in Lower Bricktown? Well, we have a whole mile of canal to work with.....actually 2 miles, since walkways are on both sides.

Who would maintain this? The Bricktown Association could manage this. Part of the installation costs payed by the honoree could be kept for maintenance. If we used marble stars they'd last forever.

This is just an idea we're still discussing at the moment.

Let me know what you think, and whether you think it would fit in.

- Patrick, Moderator, www.okctalk.com"

Patrick
12-14-2004, 11:33 AM
mranderson, the originator of this idea, sent me some interesting PM's.

Check these out:

"Some people have said they want a walk of fame that will be quite small because halls of fame honor many of these people. However, as I pointed out in my last message on the thread, many deserving people are slapped in the face and deserve recognition. The walk of fame in Hollywood does not recognize people for their philantropic contributions. They honor their work, as it should be. The walk of fame would strictly for this. That and the tourism is why I thought of it."

I couldn't agree with him more!

-----------------------
"Some people give to out of state charities. Example. I give to St Judes and to MS which are both out of state. If I was well known or for some other reason did something for the state that was superior, would I be inducted in a hall of fame? No. Why? I do not give much to local charities. Besides, why not recognize someone for what they did and not what they gave? Does Gaylord deserve a star? Yes. However, so does Loyd Dorsett who invinted the computer program which you take web based surveys and tests on. He lived in Norman. Did he give to charities in the way the Hall of fame requires? No. The fact someone gives a lot of money is secondary. I want to develop a prototype application form and will email it to your private email in the near future.

We need committee people that see through the money and see what other way these people showed pride in Oklahoma and what they did for the good of their fields. Could we have multiple stars? Yes. However, we could also have one star which tells the areas inwhich they excelled. Example. My dad. Decorated WWII veteran for Normandy, founder of Oklahoma's largest independant stock brokerage firm and investor, political advocate. Plus the name of the person who nominated them.

I am sick of these organizations that only recoginize people if they give money or time to charity. There is more to honor than that. However, some DO deserve the honor. That is why I included a category for them in addition to the others. Plus, tourists will see who REALLY built this state."

I also couldn't agree more!

Thanks mranderson for your continued contributions. Hopefully we'll make some progress on your idea soon! If this project gets on the drawing board, hopefully they'll at least recognize us on a plaque of some sort! Lol!

mranderson
12-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Categories: Entertainment, Political, Business, Education, Military, Philathropic, Sports, Non Native contributors (ie: Roy Clark who lives in Tulsa but born in Virginia), Science, Heritage.

There may be others, however, ours would go farther than the others. Not just entertainment.

SoundMind
12-14-2004, 02:03 PM
This is a neat idea. What a nice addition to the Bricktown area this would make. You have my full support. I'd be happy to sign any petition.

metro
12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Let me know if you need any leadership help........

mranderson
12-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Metro: We need all the help we can get. Thanks. PM Patrick or me with any suggestions. Patrick is going to be the mouthpiece to the Mayor and the media.

If we do a press conferance, then I will take part in that since I created the idea, hense I am the founder of the walk of fame. However, Patrick knows some people.

The offer of PM's and help is directed to anyone. Thanks again.

floater
12-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Same here, if you guys need any work that can be done from a remote location, let me know.

Luke
12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
This is a great idea. The OKC walk of fame... love it.

I'm thinking instead of a star being the outline (with the name in the middle) how about an "O" being the outline with the name in the middle. "O" for Oklahoma... of course. :)

I would volunteer any sort of help as well.

(I look forward to when all of us like-minded folks at OKCTalk.com can meet up)

mranderson
12-16-2004, 05:40 PM
One of the women I work with suggested a map of Oklahoma. May be too much when this thing grows to epic purportions.

Luke. Any help is great. We need all the help we can get. As soon as we get the go ahead from city hall and the other people, we will go full force. Patrick is the one who will know when we get the green light.

Patrick
12-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Hmmmm....how about a map of the state of Oklahoma, with a big star in the center, representing OKC of course! LOL!

mranderson
12-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Patrick suggested we move ahead soon with group meetings to plan and present the idea of the walk of fame to the Bricktown association and Randy Hogan. I would also like to see the owner of Harkins theater be there as well.

I agree we need to make our move. Rumblings have already started about this and the mayor is supporting it, suggesting we present the plan.

I told Patrick I think we need to start meeting as soon as possible after the first of the year, prefably the first week. Weekends are best for me. We need a person with strong presentation skills and a really talented artist. The latter to draw renderings of the street and prototype designs for the plaque.

I suggested someplace like Denny' s at first, then move it when we need more working space.

We need volunteers to meet. Anyone who interested, pm Patrick or myself and also please indicate on this thread. This plan CAN work. Here is why.

I have spoken to a lot of people about this and even mentioned it to the program director at KKNG. Not ONE person said it was a lousy idea. That is remarkable. No nay sayers.

I am really excited about this. Not only because it will mean a lot of publicity for me personally, but for this group and it will be a major boost to the state. Plus a way to honor many people who deserve honor that would be left out. What a tribute. What a legacy. :Smiley173

metro
12-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah its a good idea, we will have nay sayers in time though once the idea is out there, I think we need to meet ASAP, a plan needs to be devised and executed to the furthest extent possible. I can help with the presentation if no one else feels comfortable with it however leave the art skills to someone other than myself. I can draw some stick figures if we need any : )

okrednk
12-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Hello, I am new to the site and I am very interested in what kind of changes happen to our great state. I am always up for major improvements and really feel good about your idea about the walk of fame. I see some of the suggestions that you all have and if I may one instead of a star, which I feel wouldn't really really represent the state. If the idea is to make this state associated, then why not do something like an arrowhead, again this is just an idea and would love to help or get involved in any way that I could.

Next question I have is how is someone choosen to give the honor? Is this just a pay for the item (star, state shape, etc) or is this something where when somone within in the state who becomes well known is given this honor (Reba, Garth, Toby, etc) Just curious. Thanks

mranderson
12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello, I am new to the site and I am very interested in what kind of changes happen to our great state. I am always up for major improvements and really feel good about your idea about the walk of fame. I see some of the suggestions that you all have and if I may one instead of a star, which I feel wouldn't really really represent the state. If the idea is to make this state associated, then why not do something like an arrowhead, again this is just an idea and would love to help or get involved in any way that I could.

Next question I have is how is someone choosen to give the honor? Is this just a pay for the item (star, state shape, etc) or is this something where when somone within in the state who becomes well known is given this honor (Reba, Garth, Toby, etc) Just curious. Thanks

Feel free to read the other threads related to the walk of fame. It will tell you a lot of information and answer your questions.

To review. The idea of the walk of fame is to honor those people who have given honor to this state by their work, military service, and other areas. There are few, if any, organizations that honor achievement alone. Many will only bestow honor if the honoree has given a lot to charity. There are many people who for one reason or another give to this state, but do not or can not give to charity. Military heros, people who have made business or scientific accomplishments, and others. I am tired of these people being denied regoginition because they have not given to charity or similar reasons.

Ideas and suggestions are always welcome. Personally, I do not favor anything like an arrowhead as a symbol. Why? This state is known to much by our western heritage causing many people to think we are nothing but uneducated hicks. By having some symbol of that kind, it enforces that image which we need to change. By no means is this to be taken as an insult or anything personal. A star is traditional, however, other ideas are always welcome. I would also be against things like cowboy hats and boots. The circle was suggested, however, I think it is too plain.

The honor would be by application and a selection committee headed by a designated chairperson who would also be master or mistress of ceremony, to be known as the honorary mayor of Bricktown. The honoree would be asked to pay installation costs of the slab. If he or she is unable, then a scholoship could be awarded to pay costs. This is the same way it is done on the Hollywood walk of fame. Although it has been suggested we honor five people a year, I tend to recommend one per month.

Yes. Reba McEntire and Toby Keith are very much in mind for honorees. So are people like my own dad who is a highly decorated war veteran and affluant business person (now retired) as well as the founder of what is now known as the Oklahoma Department of Securities (formerly the Oklahoma Securities and Exchange Commision). He gave to some out of state charities but very few in the state and was declined a well deserved memebership in the Oklahoma State Hall of Fame. They want people who give a lot of money and I think that is a slap in the face, not only to him, but other people who did things for the state but choose to not give to state charities.

You may ask if I thought of this as a way to get him honored. No. When I thought of it that did not cross my mind.

Your help is encouraged. You are also invited, as are all the members and interetsed parties, to attend the meetings we will have planned. Especially if you are a gifted artist or know one.

We welcome you and hope to hear many good things from you. Thanks for your favorable coments about this idea. It really makes me proud to hear them.

Patrick
12-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Actually, by getting the Bricktown Association involved, all of the Bricktown merchants would be involved, Hogan and Harkins included. Also, since it would be a Bricktown Association-sponsored event, they'd probably get some say in who gets selected, as well as the city of Oklahoma City and possibly even the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce.

floater
12-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Just to clarify, though, mranderson, we're not excluding those who do give to charities, correct? I agree that philantropic giving shouldn't a condition for reward, but I don't think it should be frowned upon either.

mranderson
12-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Just to clarify, though, mranderson, we're not excluding those who do give to charities, correct? I agree that philantropic giving shouldn't a condition for reward, but I don't think it should be frowned upon either.

Correct. It is a seperate area. The main idea is to let the groups that demand you buy your way into their seat of honor, do it, and the walk of fame honor the true heros and builders of Oklahoma.

mranderson
12-29-2004, 08:23 AM
I have a request.

I am trying to gather a list of people who have volunteered to help with the walk of fame and their talents (either proven or presumed), so we can start an email list to get this project off the ground (or, to be literal, ON the ground) and plan meetings without clogging message space.

So. If you are willing to help or have already expressed that fact, please pm me to that affect and please include what you feel you can do (talent) plus when you are available for meetings.

We want to get the process started asap after new year's day.

mranderson
01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
I have misplaced the list of people who want to be on the walk of fame committee.

I am wanting to get this started, so we can present it to the bricktown association, hopefully, in June.

If you want to be on the committee, please either pm me or reply to this post.

Thanks.

Karried
02-15-2005, 04:08 PM
I love this idea - add me to the list :

Karrie Dennis
karrie@churchillbrown.com

For those who do not want to pay for themselves to be featured or can't afford to(such as someone who has contributed greatly to the community etc), what about a separate nomination form sent out in a public forum such as the newspaper?

Once someone is nominated and then voted on - we could then request contributions from business owners to sponsor this 'chosen' nominee...and add the business name as well - just thinking out loud at this point... we can always work out details later...

Anyway, sign me up -

mranderson
02-15-2005, 04:50 PM
We will let you know as soon as we get the committee off the ground. Thanks. What special skill do you have that we can use? We have a presenter, a creator and media person, a degin artist, and more.

Karried
02-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Let me think about what skills I might bring to the table. For starters, I do know computers, Windows, Powerpoint, Word, Internet research etc - I can help with marketing and mailings. I have minimal website design experience & small group communications experience.

I'm a Licensed Realtor... if that helps at all. Looks like a lot of positions are covered but I'll help out in any way I can.

If all else fails... I'll be a great support person wherever needed.

mranderson
02-20-2005, 10:17 AM
As soon as we get the committee members to commit, I will announce them in this or a new thread.

So far. Karried, Metro, Luke, Patrick (will join us as soon as he can), Yours truly. There are some others that expressed interest, however, I misplaced the list.

Here is my goal. I want to first meet and name the group and get to know everyone. That would be the first meeting or two. We want a permanant committee with the walk of fame being our first project, as it is probably the biggest. I want to be ready to propose this to the bricktown association by the end of the year, so they can get it launched in time for the cenntenial.

So far here are the talents i know of.

Karried is a licensed realtor. This will be an asset.
Metro will be the presentor to the association.
I will be media spokesperson since it is my creation.

Another idea I had is the following. I would like to ask Catherine Pegram of KWTV to be the one who unveils the design of the sidewalk plaque. She was the insparation for this idea, and I want to be able to give her credit for that. Of course, the association would have to approve that along with Catherine and KWTV.

So. I would really appreciate it if you would add your name to the list even if you have before along with the talent you feel you have and are willing to perform, and the days and times you can meet. We will start as soon as we can.

floater
02-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Mranderson, I have a little suggestion. If you open up a competition among local artists to design the plaque, that may build up some interest. You can ask Ms. Pegram to help promote this competition. I think our artists are some of the most active local citizens; if you engage them, we will see more invested socially in Lower Bricktown.

Heck, if your really want to engage the public why not open it up to anybody -- you could target businesses, public schools, arts groups and churches (and other organizations and individuals) to submit their "candidate" for the design of the plaque. A lot of hay could be made of this. Get the Bricktown Assocation or Downtown OKC members to sponsor a $1000 prize for the winning entry. You'd have to draft a professional-looking form and participation machine to give the Bricktown Walk of Fame process the respect it deserves.

TheImmortal
02-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi my name is Wil. I just wanted to say first of all that this is an awsome concept you have come up with here and I am very excited about it. I didn't know there were so many other people like me who are so interested in the citys' developments and the advancement. Most of my friends think I'm a dork because we will pass a construction site and I always know what is being built and when construction is starting and ending and the impact it will have,etc etc. So I am very happy to have found OKCTalk.com. Secondly, I am very interested in helping out with this project you have created. As far as my talents go I am dedicated, writing is my strong point, I am good with computers,and have access and a pretty good knowledge with a computer automated design program at the technology center i attend. As far as what I could contribute to the group I am involved in Edmond youth leadership, Edmond Youth Council, and I am enrolled in the Pre-Engineering Academy at Francis tuttle. All of these programs give me great access to various different people. I have met everyone from the CEO of Volkswagon to the Governer of Oklahoma. Last summer I was involved with a team of students from my program with the objective of completing a request by Mayor Mick Cornett to come up with various ideas of how to attract more tourists to the downtown area. Ultimatly most of these ideas were too complex and Mayor Cornett dismissed most of them. So this is another reason I would like to help out; to finish the job is started a while ago. i suppose I am started to ramble now so I am gonna go but if help is needed leave me a message. Goodbye.

Karried
02-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Welcome Wil! How exciting to have you aboard! I'm sure you will be a great asset to this group of people dedicated to improving Oklahoma's future.

Great to have you and can't wait to get started.

mranderson
02-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Wil: As the creator and founder of the Walk of Fame, I echo Karrie's thoughts.

I want to get these meetings started as soon as possible, and will be greatful to have your talents and input.

As soon as the list is complete, I will pm the memebrship of the committee and set a date and time to start. If you have any other input, you may also pm us.

Please feel free to jump in at any time with your ideas and opinion, on any of the topics open to you.

Again, welcome to OKC Talk and the walk of fame committee.

TheImmortal
02-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Well thank you for the warm welcome. Cant wait to get started!! I would just like to say I like Patricks idea alot, the one about the outline of Oklahoma with a star in the center. this is what came to my mind when originally conceptuallizing what it might look like. I have talked with many people about this and they all said that it would give them an extra reason to bring visiting friends and relatives downtown and that they would feel a greater sense of pride in their city if it had an attraction like this. I really think this will take off and I am anxious to get started working on it. talk to you all soon. goodbye.

Patrick
03-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey TheImmortal, we're so glad to have you here. Yeah, when mranderson mentioned this idea several months ago, many of us were excited about it. Soon, we'll start meetings to try to put this plan into action. Obviously, our first goal will be to get a firm group in place, with leadership roles, a name, and a mission! After that, we'll move to plan two, which will involve presenting our proposal to the Bricktown Association. We'll work our way eventually to city hall with the idea.

We'd be so happy to have you join us in these efforts.

Also, we'd love to have you join us in discussion here. Since you know a lot about development, feel free to give us updates on this forum! We'd love to hear them!

By the way, you're not a dork at all! You're just like the rest of us...you love your city, and enjoy watching it grow! There's nothing "dorky" about being interested in the renaissance of Oklahoma City! I commend you for your interest in our great city. More people need to have the attitude we do!

TheImmortal
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Thats sounds like a good plan to me. Working with all of you shall be a pleasure. As far as developments go, I live in Edmond so therefore I know more in depth details about developments in the North OKC area. But figuring that there does not seem to be too many posts about devlopments in this area I think ill take up the job of filling in that niche for you all. I have to be at a Planning Comission meeting at around 5:30 so ill post an "Edmond and North OKC Development" thread sometime later tonight. Goodbye for now.

Patrick
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually we've discussed Spring Creek Village numerous times here. If you could keep us up to date on Edmond developments like that, that would be great!

TheImmortal
03-21-2005, 10:25 AM
So is this project still alive or what? havn't heard anything. Sorry i havn't put that edmond post up. for some reason or another this site wont work on my comp. I get the "This page cannot be displayed error". but ill try to resolve it. talk to you later.

mranderson
03-21-2005, 10:55 AM
So is this project still alive or what? havn't heard anything. Sorry i havn't put that edmond post up. for some reason or another this site wont work on my comp. I get the "This page cannot be displayed error". but ill try to resolve it. talk to you later.

I want to go ahead with this, but can't get firm dates to start. I would really like to know everyones idea on when this can happen.

Karried
03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
We should just pick a central meeting place, a date and time and let us know - Bricktown Brewery? Somewhere that has a private room ? Ideas anyone?

mranderson
03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
We should just pick a central meeting place, a date and time and let us know - Bricktown Brewery? Somewhere that has a private room ? Ideas anyone?

I was actually thinking of someplace like IHOP or Denny's for the first couple of meetings, then find a permanant place.

Karried
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Does Denny's serve beer? ha,ha

TheImmortal
03-22-2005, 09:41 AM
alright well weekends are best for me, if not i get out of school at 2:20, so sometime after that on weekdays. whatever is good for you guys. I will check my schedual and let you know what days would work. Hopefully we can get this going soon.

Karried
03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes, please give up heads up so we can plan far in advance - I'm so busy right now... I would like to be able to pencil it in...

mranderson
03-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Yes, please give up heads up so we can plan far in advance - I'm so busy right now... I would like to be able to pencil it in...

No problem. That is why I need everyone intrested to give their days and times. We really need advance notice.

I do not want to stall this effort. So, please everyone. When are you available?

Pete
04-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I obviously can't attend any meetings in person, but love this idea and would like to support it in any way I can.

Good luck and keep us all posted!

workman45
05-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Just got my computer problems lined out and glad to be back. My times available are Sun - Thur before 8:30PM, Fri and Sat.