View Full Version : 4 way stops

Chefdavies
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Why does it seem that no one in edmond can figure these out? Sure you have a few good knowledgeable drivers when you get to a fou way stop, but why does it seem you have more of the drivers than can not figure it out. Maybe we should start sending drivers home with a handbook on driving when they renew their licenses.

Sorry just needed to release some steam, been one of those days.

mmonroe
05-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I stay out of the streets in Edmond, i'll take the long way around to get where I need to go. To many people up there are busy with the thoughts in there own head to even acknowledge that you came to a complete stop and are about to go before they race up to the stop sign and for a microsecond apply their breaks before passing through.

bretthexum
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I think it would help if everyone wasn't on their phones while trying to negotiate the stop sign.

OkieHornet
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
last night, after the storms blew through, 33rd/Broadway with the lights out was a clusterf*** for sure... NOBODY knew when to go and people were not happy and i'm surprised there wasn't an accident...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
last night, after the storms blew through, 33rd/Broadway with the lights out was a clusterf*** for sure... NOBODY knew when to go and people were not happy and i'm surprised there wasn't an accident...

I feel your pain...I drove from the 44/Hefner to Rockwell on NW Expressway a few months ago when the power was out the entire way...Every single light was now a 4 way stop. It took me more than an hour.

CCOKC
05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
This is one of my pet peeves for sure. Maybe you could find a link to post the official law about how to negotiate a 4-way stop. I don't think very many people do know the correct way.

FRISKY
05-09-2008, 06:36 AM
It's simple; First vehicle into the intersection has the right-of-way. If two or more vehicles get there at the same time, the vehicle on the right has the right-of-way.

mmonroe
05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I always give emergency vehicles the right of way, even if I were there first....

FRISKY
05-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I always give emergency vehicles the right of way, even if I were there first....A few years ago there was a fire truck and ambulance with lights/siren headed south bound on N. Macarthur about NW 36th street. I was headed north bound and pulled over to the right hand curb as required by law. There was a man about 50-years-old driving a pickup truck behind me. As I pulled over he passed in the left, center lane loudly honking his horn and flipping me off. At the next light he rolled down his window and cussed me out for pulling over for the emergency vehicles.

I asked why he didn't pull over and the idiot told me cars going the opposite direction didn't have to yield. I didn't even try to enlighten him to the law. As we left the intersection he was still raving on about what a "stupid #%$&#" I was... It was one of those times you wished there was a cop there to give him a ticket, but of course they are never around when you could use one. That ignorant jerk would probably have argued with a cop and got himself thrown in jail. We can only hope he doesn't end up in a wreck and killing someone because of his ignorance of traffic laws.

jsibelius
06-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I guess he'll find out he's wrong someday when a fire truck runs over him turning left in front of him. The only time you don't have to stop for emergency vehicles going the other direction is if there's a median that breaks up the road in the middle. If you can make a left turn at any point, you have to stop. The guy was an idiot. Someday he'll find out...

bornhere
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
The traffic laws in Edmond are a little different when it comes to 4-way stops. In Edmond, the most expensive car in the intersection has the right-of-way. Sometimes, this can be confusing: is your 2008 Hummer H2 more or less expensive than that other guy's '06 BMW M3 Coupe?

It helps to keep a Blue Book on your dashboard for quick reference.

FRISKY
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
The traffic laws in Edmond are a little different when it comes to 4-way stops. In Edmond, the most expensive car in the intersection has the right-of-way. Sometimes, this can be confusing: is your 2008 Hummer H2 more or less expensive than that other guy's '06 BMW M3 Coupe?

It helps to keep a Blue Book on your dashboard for quick reference.Thank you for that information (and the laugh!) I knew there had to be a logical explanation for the way some people seemed to totally disregard traffic laws at 4-way-stop intersections.

hipsterdoofus
06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Sorry, but this isn't an Edmond issue...no one knows how to work 4 way stops anymore...although I will say that I think Edmond area driving has become worse after they ditched the public driver's ed program.

John
06-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Nowadays, it could be the 1994 Suburban with a full tank of gas! :dizzy:

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Sorry, but this isn't an Edmond issue...no one knows how to work 4 way stops anymore...although I will say that I think Edmond area driving has become worse after they ditched the public driver's ed program.

I will say Edmond has some retardedly HUGE 4-ways with turn lanes and all. That's asking for trouble.

John
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I will say Edmond has some retardedly HUGE 4-ways with turn lanes and all. That's asking for trouble.

2nd & Western being the biggest offender.

hipsterdoofus
06-05-2008, 09:21 PM

To tell you the truth, I am not sure that is in Edmond City limits, but I agree that one is a problem...

One that USED to be bad in Edmond was Kelly & Danforth, until they finally fixed it. Luckily Santa Fe & Danforth got set up right from the start when Wal Mart went in.

FritterGirl
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM

To tell you the truth, I am not sure that is in Edmond City limits,Nope. It's squarely Oklahoma City. Edmond starts about 300 feet east of the intersection. It's on the "list" for a light, supposedly before the end of the year, after they finish the lovely Barry Switzer-owned apartment complex and strip/shopping/commercial center they are putting in there.

John
06-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Yeah, it 'is' OKC, but that's still Edmond to me.

jsibelius
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM

See, you need to brush up on your traffic laws. You access the Blue Book online via your Smartphone.

brianinok
06-14-2008, 10:08 AM
15th & Coltrane was horrible until they finally put in a light earlier this year. It was especially bad about noon on Sunday trying to leave Henderson Hills and head west. Traffic could backup for 1/3 mile then.

OKC4me
08-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Amen. I have had to slam on my breaks twice while going through there, when it was my turn.

I bet that intersection gets a stop light soon. Especially with another little shopping center going in. I hate that intersection. I try to go around it when possible.

hipsterdoofus
08-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Amen. I have had to slam on my breaks twice while going through there, when it was my turn.

I bet that intersection gets a stop light soon. Especially with another little shopping center going in. I hate that intersection. I try to go around it when possible.

I think that is another intersection that is long overdue for a light but it takes them forever because it is used by Edmond folks but owned by OKC, and OKC doesn't want to put up a light for Edmond. Same thing with 15th and Western - that one was way overdue as well.