View Full Version : OKC should be driving this trend - Compressed Natural Gas transportation

wsucougz
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Fill up for $5? You can in Utah - MSN Money (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/FillUpFor5DollarsYouCanInUtah.aspx)

I'll bet you money there's a commercial CNG pump somewhere in Chesapeake's master plan.

FritterGirl
05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Many OKC school buses and some City vehicles run off of CNG.

traxx
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I saw that article earlier. Although OKC has plenty of fleet vehicles that run on CNG it'd be nice to be able to have a CNG car and fill it up with CNG for that cheap.

Kerry
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
The problem is the distribution network. You could have a million CNG pumps in Oklahoma but if you drive to Arkansas you are stuck. BMW might have found a way around the distribution problem. They are coming out with a 7-series sadan that runs on Hydrogen. They are going to put a refuling station at every dealership. Of course you won't be able to fill up outside normal business hours but at least the Hydrogen will be available across the country.

wsucougz
05-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Here's a map of refueling stations. Looks like the public probably can't access most of these...

Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Natural Gas Fueling Station Locations (http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html)

OKCMallen
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
No doubt we could make this model work. It would just drive up nat gas prices...surely AUbrey would be OK with that. :D

AFCM
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see this trend spread, although I think it will have to compete with the Aptera soon. Imagine running the Aptera on CNG! Not only would you get 300 mpg, but you'd get those 300 mpg at less than a dollar.

I think stuff like CNG would be great for the economy as a whole. Of course, Oklahoma would benefit greatly, but the nation's economy would start to rebound as well. Gas is the main reason our economy is suffering right now.

I hope this takes off.

Blangdon
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
CNG is a terrible method of filling commercial vehicles (trucks, heavy machinery). Synthetic diesel made from waste gas is the best method. Though for some reason no one seems to eager to look at it. Just my opinion though...

john60
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see CHK put up a Natural gas station in the new Nichols Hills plaza. They knocked down two regular gas stations on the corner of Avondale and Western.

edcrunk
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
CNG is a terrible method of filling commercial vehicles (trucks, heavy machinery). Synthetic diesel made from waste gas is the best method. Though for some reason no one seems to eager to look at it. Just my opinion though...
you didn't list any reasons why its terrible. the buses in dallas run on CNG

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Everything I've ever driven that was powered by CNG was a gutless pig that couldn't get out of it's own way.

I'd rather have a hotrod electric car...Instant and endless torque, and no gears!

windowphobe
05-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Everything I've ever driven that was powered by CNG was a gutless pig that couldn't get out of it's own way.

Which makes it perfect for buses, which can't get out of their own way anyway.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
lol...no kidding.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea...Just that it's going to be a hard sell.

However, I seem to recall a Dodge Challenger prototype about 10 years ago that had 300 horsepower and ran on CNG and got great mileage...Never came to fruition though.

onthestrip
05-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see CHK put up a Natural gas station in the new Nichols Hills plaza. They knocked down two regular gas stations on the corner of Avondale and Western.

I thought thats what I heard they were actually doing, building a natural gas station. I believe the buses that Chesapeake uses to shuttle employees around their campus run on natural gas.

hipsterdoofus
05-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Here's a map of refueling stations. Looks like the public probably can't access most of these...

It actually looks to me that MOST on that list ARE accessible to the public (in Oklahoma).

I've begun to wonder why CNG isn't more available as well. I tend to think that Gas stations are opposed to it. If you have a CNG vehicle, you could fill up at home (index (http://myphill.com)). Kind of expensive, but you get some money back from the govt when you install this.

The only vehicle you can buy that is CNG (that I know of) is the Honda Civic GX, and converting a vehicle appears to be pretty expensive.

bombermwc
05-09-2008, 08:44 AM
So we should swap one fossil fuel for another? How does that really improve anything? It may be cleaner, but we're just moving from one crap idea to another. We need to be developing a fuel that doesnt require such a large amount of non-renewable resources.

I'm not a fan of the current ethanol plan either because it just drives food costs up.

To me, the alternative looks like the 2nd generation ethanol that uses recycled materials rather than food items to create fuel. Things like saw dust, cardboard, etc. So we can not only help to recycle/reuse our trash, but fuel our vehicles.

sdsooners
05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I thought thats what I heard they were actually doing, building a natural gas station. I believe the buses that Chesapeake uses to shuttle employees around their campus run on natural gas.

There are plans for Nichols Hills Plaza to have a natural gas filling station, although it won't be a CHK station because CHK would not jeopardize their "independent" status. I believe it will be a CleanEnergy station, which is a Boone Pickens company.

BabyBoomerSooner
05-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I got behind a natural gas powered bus not long ago and it smelled awful! I'm not sure I could put up with that "aroma" coming from numerous vehicles.

I'd like to see us avoid the use of natural resources as fuel sources because they're so finite.

hipsterdoofus
05-09-2008, 01:14 PM
So we should swap one fossil fuel for another? How does that really improve anything? It may be cleaner, but we're just moving from one crap idea to another. We need to be developing a fuel that doesnt require such a large amount of non-renewable resources.

I'd say the reason it is better is because there is plenty of natural gas at the moment, plus it supposedly is a lot cleaner to run. That being said, I'm not saying its the answer, but I would hope it would bring down costs while other alternatives are being researched.

OUGrad05
05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd say the reason it is better is because there is plenty of natural gas at the moment, plus it supposedly is a lot cleaner to run. That being said, I'm not saying its the answer, but I would hope it would bring down costs while other alternatives are being researched.

Natural gas is a decent alternative but if we start running our cars on nat gas and we continue to increase power generation via nat gas we'll drive the prices up to astronomical levels.

Natural gas is currently the best fuel on the planet IMO. Its fairly cheap, burns very clean and we have a fair amount of it. But demand is rising quickly and we're also beginning to import more and more of our natural gas which could pose hazards in coming decades for the country and domestic producers.

Sin Wagon
05-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Been lurking for a while, but decided to make my first post here. This is one of my favorite topics to discuss with friends and family, because I work at Chesapeake and proudly "drink the Kool-Aide" This link is to the American Clean Skies Foundation, an organisation founded and primarily supported by CHK who's goal is to educate the public and Washington on natural gas. My personal opinion was that management perceived there was a lack of understanding by the public on the benefits of natural gas, and we were being scammed by industry groups promoting "clean coal" (oxymoron) and unfeasible and environmentally unfriendly biofuels, which prompted the creation of Cleanskies.org. Clean Skies Foundation's economist estimates that if there were 10 million NGVs on the road (currently on 150,000), natural gas demand would only increase 6%

The American Clean Skies Foundation Official Website (http://www.cleanskies.org)

There is some really good info on there (If you can get past the cheesy intro by Denise Bode LOL). But to summarizes the most important points on the site re: NG as a transportation fuel: Adding refueling stations around the country would be pretty easy due to the country's existing pipeline infrastructure. No need to transport fuel in tankers to stations. Contrary to what a previous poster said, there is no drop-off in vehicle performance, except in distance between refuelings, and reduced trunk size. But new fuel tank technology is on the horizon that can hold more gas at lower pressures. On a BTU basis NGVs get better gas mileage than gasoline engines. You can refill the Honda GX from your home's own natural gas supply, further reducing the cost WAY below gasoline

First and foremost the most important reason to use natural gas is that it is AMERICAN, and would reduce our remittances to terrorist supporting regimes and other bad guys around the world, and keep that money flowing in our own economy. We have PLENTY of natural gas left in this country and natural gas would be a good segway fuel into totally clean burning fuels like hydrogen. Do a Google News search on "Haynesville Shale" or "Barnett Shale" or "Marcellus Shale".

The second most important reason to use natural gas is that it produces almost no harmful emissions, and if you consider CO2 a harmful emmission, it produces less of that too compared to gasoline, diesel, or ethanol.

Natural Gas has been gaining momentum in the press in this regard and I hope it continues. It seems like a no-brainer to me, we just need some leaders in Washington to finally see the light and jump on the bandwagon as well. Its not a coincidence that OKC has gained so much momentum during the same time period that natural gas prices and demand have steadily increased. We are fortunate that we have 3 innovative and risk-taking energy companies that predicted this long term trend and Chesapeake, Devon, Sandridge and Oklahoma City are all really poised to benefit for a long time to come.

Also, the speculation that Chesapeake may put a natural gas filling station in Nichols Hills may be true, from rumors I've been hearing. I'll probably get a Civic GX, or hopefully there will be a few more options at dealerships by then.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Contrary to what a previous poster said, there is no drop-off in vehicle performance, except in distance between refuelings, and reduced trunk size.

You don't drive what I drive :D

Kerry
05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Let me ask this. I understand I can use gasoline and natural gas at the same time (well not at the same time but in the same car). I can also fill-up with CNG at home. How big would a CNG tank have to be to get me 50 miles? My wife gets about 17 mpg in her Nissan Armada but about 90% of her trips are short distance. This menas if she re-filled nightly from our natural gas at home she would stop about 90% of her gasoline consumption. Then for longer trips we could still use gasoline.

What if we had something like a Prious (sp?) and instead of using gasoline when the electric ran low it used CNG, with a 2 gallon emergency gasoline tank.

hipsterdoofus
05-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I think its rather expensive to convert a vehicle, so you may as well already buy one that has been converted, or buy a civic GX. I also understand that dual fuel vehicles have poorer performance than those that are only CNG.

OUGrad05
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
First and foremost the most important reason to use natural gas is that it is AMERICAN, and would reduce our remittances to terrorist supporting regimes and other bad guys around the world, and keep that money flowing in our own economy. We have PLENTY of natural gas left in this country and natural gas would be a good segway fuel into totally clean burning fuels like hydrogen. Do a Google News search on "Haynesville Shale" or "Barnett Shale" or "Marcellus Shale".

The second most important reason to use natural gas is that it produces almost no harmful emissions, and if you consider CO2 a harmful emmission, it produces less of that too compared to gasoline, diesel, or ethanol.

Natural Gas has been gaining momentum in the press in this regard and I hope it continues. It seems like a no-brainer to me, we just need some leaders in Washington to finally see the light and jump on the bandwagon as well. Its not a coincidence that OKC has gained so much momentum during the same time period that natural gas prices and demand have steadily increased. We are fortunate that we have 3 innovative and risk-taking energy companies that predicted this long term trend and Chesapeake, Devon, Sandridge and Oklahoma City are all really poised to benefit for a long time to come.

Also, the speculation that Chesapeake may put a natural gas filling station in Nichols Hills may be true, from rumors I've been hearing. I'll probably get a Civic GX, or hopefully there will be a few more options at dealerships by then.

It's only american right now, the government is making it almost impossible to discover, explore, drill for new natural gas. We are beginning to import more and more of it and the government is setting us up to be in the same position with nat gas that we are with oil today within 20 years time. A scary prospect.

hipsterdoofus
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
It's only american right now, the government is making it almost impossible to discover, explore, drill for new natural gas. We are beginning to import more and more of it and the government is setting us up to be in the same position with nat gas that we are with oil today within 20 years time. A scary prospect.

Yeah...but at this point, 20 years is 20 years...i'd rather have it good for that long while they look for alternatives.

mmonroe
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd like to see the cost effectiveness if half the country ran on Nat Gas and the other half on Gasoline. Let the upper classes upgrade, who can afford it, to Nat Gas, and Let the lower classes keep there gasoline cars.

This would cut costs on the price of gasoline, and raise the prices of nat gas slightly. On that thought, Chesapeake grows, they shell out more money for OKC projects, we all benefit... EH?

andy157
05-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I'd like to see the cost effectiveness if half the country ran on Nat Gas and the other half on Gasoline. Let the upper classes upgrade, who can afford it, to Nat Gas, and Let the lower classes keep there gasoline cars.

This would cut costs on the price of gasoline, and raise the prices of nat gas slightly. On that thought, Chesapeake grows, they shell out more money for OKC projects, we all benefit... EH?Brilliant!!!!!!

mmonroe
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Brilliant!!!!!!

Thank you.

mmonroe
05-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know the Mileage on a CNG powered car?

OUGrad05
05-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah...but at this point, 20 years is 20 years...i'd rather have it good for that long while they look for alternatives.

Ummm...they wont look at alternatives if they have a clean cheap source of fuel...it doesn't make business sense to do so.

Nat gas is a great fuel but becoming dependant on foreign sources of nat gas is a bad move.

OUGrad05
05-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know the Mileage on a CNG powered car?

Depends completely on the car and the motor.

Nat gas is cheaper on a BTU basis so I guess you could assume something like a honda civic gets 40mpg lets say...well a gallon of typical gasoline contains roughly 125,000 BTU. And to keep the math simple lets say its 4 bucks a gallon. So it costs 4 dollars to drive your civic 40 miles and it uses 125,000 BTU's of energy.

Natural gas that we use in our homes and would use in cars is roughly 1000BTU per cubic foot or 1 million BTU per thousand cubic feet (natural gas is billed in thousand cubic foot increments). Right now the going rate is about 11.35 per thousand cubic feet. So again to keep math simple lets just round up to 12 bucks.

12 dollars per thousand cubic feet or 1 million BTU's. Take 125,000/1,000,000 and you get .125...so take .125 and multiply it times 12 dollars and you get $1.50 to go the same distance on Nat gas in a civic as you would in the equivelent gasoline car.

Now to give you an idea of what this does to natural gas demand...we currently use about 9.8 million barrels of oil per day on gasoline, so I'm going to just round that to 10 million barrels a day. The typical barrel is 42 gallons. The ratio of gasoline per gallon of oil due to additives is now about 1:1 so thats 420 million gallons of gasoline per day in this country.

420 million times 125,000 gives us 52,500,000,000,000 or 52.5 TRILLION BTU's.

Now divide the 52.5 trillion by 1000 and you come up with 52.5 BILLION cubic feet of natural gas which is almost double the US average daily demand for natural gas. A doubling in demand almost never results in a doubling of price, instead prices rise much more dramatically. Shifting to a nat gas infrastructure for transportation opens up a whole new pandora's box of problems. Supplementing it is fine, but keep in mind we heat our homes with natural gas, the nation is also getting a larger portion of its electric power from natural gas. Instead of a 200 dollar natural gas bill in february 400, 500 or 600 dollars would be a bit unbearable for most folks and thats assuming only a modest gain in demand, not a doubling of demand.