View Full Version : Tornado Again...

Karried
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I hope you are all okay out there.

This one was the closest to my house ever. I'm almost positive I saw swirling clouds just as we were closing the shelter.....This one scared me to death.

I hope everyone is alright.

ksearls
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Just talked to my friend in Mogadishu; he was sitting in the sun on his patio drinking a beer!

GWB
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
My wife and I just returned home from Edmond about an hour ago. We happened to be in Starbucks on Broadway and 15th when the staff told us all to get in the walk-in freezer (yes, freezer). Only five of us could fit in there, the other three of four customers had to go into the bathrooms. We were in there for about ten minutes or so before the news came that we were out of danger. It was the longest ten minutes of my life. I had visions of that freezer being sucked into the sky with all five of us tumbling around inside of it and crashing to the ground. Thankfully, it didn't happen, whew! Now, if I could just get thawed out...:dizzy:

Karried
05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
omg! You are kidding? The freezer!... now that's a story!

We learned one thing tonight, our black Lab refuses to go down into the shelter! We were so worried about him... we had to leave him out! boo, hoo.. he sat on top of the shelter with his ear to the vent!

Next time we are carrying him down whether he likes it or not.

kevinpate
05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
hope all inpathers are fine. As for me, just another rainy night in Norman

venture
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Karrie,

I think one of us chasers will need to take you out storm chasing one time to help with your fear. ;)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm not afraid of storms/tornados, but I'd do that for sh*ts and giggles!

mmonroe
05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Storm chasing can be one of the best moments in life... but there are some days when you just should have stayed home and watched the guys on tv.

Karried
05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Karrie,

I think one of us chasers will need to take you out storm chasing one time to help with your fear

lol.... that's fine with me, as long as I'm the one doing the chasing .... and not the other way around. That's when I get scared.. if I'm behind the tornado, no worries.

It's when it's barreling right at me that the problems begin!

venture
05-09-2008, 11:07 PM
But that's when it gets fun. ;)

Monroe...the only days I have regretted chasing over the last 12 years is when the cap holds and you are looking at pretty blue sky all afternoon - and then realize you have a 3 hour drive home still.

mmonroe
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Got to love those high pressure systems

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-13-2008, 02:46 AM
But that's when it gets fun. ;)

Monroe...the only days I have regretted chasing over the last 12 years is when the cap holds and you are looking at pretty blue sky all afternoon - and then realize you have a 3 hour drive home still.

I love driving...I wish I could find somebody to pay me to drive around all day!

Or at least...Pay me decently to drive around all day (and pick up the gas tab!)

SoonerQueen
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
We were in Edmond during that storm too. After sitting at the corner of 33rd and Broadway for 15 or 20 minutes watching the storm come in, we decided we needed to get out of our car and get somewhere inside for shelter. Being in a car during a tornado isn't a good thing. We went to the Target and ran in, beating the storm by two minutes at best. I had never seen such high winds and heavy rain.The management team had radios and they had us all stay at the front of the store.The said if needed they would have us go in the offices for safety. After what seemed like a very long 15 minutes or so, they gave us the "all clear" and we were able to do our shopping and then head back to the city.Sad thing is that there was no warning on this storm. I heard on the radio that we were having a line of storms come through, but we were under no watches or warnings. Then all of a sudden they put us under a tornado warning.My cell phones didn't work, so we had no communication at all.I am grateful that we made it through just fine, and thanks to the people at Target for helping to keep us safe.

kevinpate
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
(never mind. killed the url and couldn't relocate it)

Karried
05-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Phone service: You know that is always a problem. I never appreciate Direct Connect with Nextel until we have a tornado and I can't reach anyone to warn them.

My mom lives a few blocks from me and the news was saying we were having a tornado in Bethany/Yukon heading right towards Edmond... the tornado sirens were going off and I was trying to call her.

I finally got through to her and said, 'mom, this is the time you should be in the shelter' and she said ' I should?' I'm yelling as I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off, 'yes, Mom, this one is coming right at our house' and it was.

The problem is with all of the news coverage, it's like crying wolf.

bretthexum
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Could get nasty again this afternoon. Keep an eye on the sky.