View Full Version : Dick Clark won't be ringing in the new year

Patrick
12-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Regis isn't such a bad replacement! Still, I wish Clark all the best.

------------

"Regis to ring in New Year for Clark
Former 'Bandstand' host hospitalized after stroke

Can Regis Philbin fill Dick Clark's shoes this New Year's Eve?

Updated: 12:44 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2004NEW YORK -

A week after suffering a mild stroke, Dick Clark remained hospitalized and his spokesman announced that Regis Philbin will fill in as host of ABC’s “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve 2005.”

“It’ll feel strange watching it on TV but my doctors felt it was too soon,” Clark said in a statement Monday. “I’m sure Regis will do a great job and I’m thankful that he was able to step in on such short notice.”

Clark suffered the stroke Dec. 6. Publicist Paul Shefrin wouldn’t identify the hospital or say if there had been any paralysis.

“Things get a little better every day,” Shefrin said. “His brain is 100 percent. His brain is not an issue at all.”

The 75-year-old entertainer, who went from hosting “American Bandstand,” “Bloopers” and game shows to producing awards ceremonies, has been host of a New Year’s Eve special for 32 years.

“It’s the greatest ‘temp job’ in the world,” said Philbin, co-host of the syndicated daytime talk show “Regis & Kelly.”

Subbing for ailing entertainers is becoming a bit of a specialty for Philbin, who filled in for David Letterman when the “Late Show” host underwent heart bypass surgery in 2000 and recovered from an eye infection in 2003.

Philbin, who will host the show from New York’s Times Square, will be joined by singer Ashlee Simpson, who’s hosting the West Coast part of the special. Besides Simpson, performers include Big & Rich; Ciara; Earth, Wind & Fire; Good Charlotte; and Billy Idol.

Clark produces the American Music Awards, Academy of Country Music Awards and Golden Globe Awards."

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Billy Idol???????????:eek::eek::eek:

Keith
12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
It sure will not be the same without Dick Clark, but I know that he needs the rest. Dick Clark IS New Years Eve, and for 32 years he has hosted the party.

I think, however, that ole Regis will do a good job, just as long as he doesn't bring Kelli Rippa with him. She is excess baggage.

floater
12-14-2004, 09:48 AM
I think, however, that ole Regis will do a good job, just as long as he doesn't bring Kelli Rippa with him. She is excess baggage.

Hey, I think Kelly's a doll! Anyway, Dick Clark said he was happy that a "younger" man was filling for him -- Regis is 72. I know, I couldn't believe it either.

Patrick
12-14-2004, 12:34 PM
What? 72? Well, I guess Regis is the perfect fit then! They both look a lot younger than their age! Wonder what their secret is!

floater
12-14-2004, 01:07 PM
In Dick's case, I think something has to be said for keeping yourself in the midst of the young people's culture. You don't know have to be in your tweens, teens, or twenties to be young at heart.

In Regis' case, I know that he exercises regularly and drinks soy milk.

So, the Top 40, pilates, and soy -- the tickets to longevity................ :wink: