View Full Version : AOL Listened - Response Concerning List

solitude
05-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I received the following email:

Thank you for your phone call regarding the content provided to us through askmen.com. Our AOL editorial team looked at the material and were unanimous in their agreement that inclusion of Oklahoma City in that kind of negative list was wholly unfair and poor quality journalism. We have since edited/modified the list online and plan to monitor our content relationship with askmen.com in a more careful manner. Our apologies for the inappropriate nature of the listing for Oklahoma City. FYI, one of the AOL VPs was in Oklahoma City this past December and was appalled at the description of your city by the askmen writer. Mr. Werther described Oklahoma City as a dynamic city that rivals many that we're familiar with here on the East Coast. He told me to feel free to include his feelings in any responses to this unfortunate incident. Thank you again for taking the time to contact AOL.

Cordially,

LeeAnn Lubetzky
AOL Executive Assistant

I had called AOL early this morning and left a voice mail describing the situation and left my email address and phone number. I also had a nice voice mail when I got home saying basically the same thing.

OUman
05-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Great work solitude! Thanks for posting this, and kudos to AOL as well for taking immediate action on the issue.

jbrown84
05-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Good for them.

Looks like AskMen will pay for their irresponsibility with [possibly] less free promotion from AOL.

Karried
05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
That is simply awesome!

Thank you for your efforts Solitude.

Honestly, I think being on a list like this was so very damaging to our tourism and national/worldwide perception.

The fact that AOL listened, responded and took action is just really very cool in my opinion.

edcrunk
05-02-2008, 08:59 PM
i give you props solitude, i admire anyone who sticks up for okc.

soonerfever
05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I wonder if the City or the Convention and Visitors Bureau seen the article?

Edit: By the way thanks Solitude!

ksearls
05-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Good work! Thank you

Millie
05-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I received the following email:

FYI, one of the AOL VPs was in Oklahoma City this past December and was appalled at the description of your city by the askmen writer. Mr. Werther described Oklahoma City as a dynamic city that rivals many that we're familiar with here on the East Coast. He told me to feel free to include his feelings in any responses to this unfortunate incident. Thank you again for taking the time to contact AOL.

Think the reason for his visit was to close down their call center?

HOT ROD
05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks Solitude.

We are all great ambassadors for Oklahoma City and it is nice that we (NOW) all stick up for Oklahoma City. Just think, a few years ago and I highly doubt such an article would raise much concern and definitely I wouldn't expect people to call/email about it.

This just shows how far OKC has come - it used to be ONLY Tulsa would stick up for itself (and downgrade OKC whenever it got the chance). Today, OKC has people informed and ONLINE, who stand up for their city - just like most if not all major cities in the world!!!

Great to see! Continue the Renaissance!

metro
05-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Think the reason for his visit was to close down their call center?

AOL's OKC call center has been closed for years.

dcsooner
05-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks Solitude from a native Sooner who loves and misses his home State. It is awesome to see Oklahoma Citians finally realize how much Oklahoma City and Oklahoma have to offer and will stand up for both.

Doug Loudenback
05-03-2008, 06:33 AM
My thanks, too, Solitude! Good job! :bow:

Karried
05-03-2008, 08:10 AM
This could be a news story... oh Steve? lol

"Internet Warriors at OKCTalk Take on AOL ".... a community of online OKC enthusiasts were so incensed by the 'Hell on Earth' designation that the city recently received, they decided to take action.

By making phone calls, sending emails to the Editor, and posting endless comments on the AOL travel site and Askmen.com site, they were able to convince the editors to have the offending article removed from the site"

"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. "Indeed, it's the only thing that has. - Margaret Meade"

blah, blah, blah.... you get my drift. Feel free to use my idea.

Karried
05-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Nevermind, I found the news article but no mention of why it was cut or who made it happen.

I know we here at OKCTalk were instrumental in having it removed ( thanks Solitude, JBrown and many others I saw on the boards posting rebuttals) ...... I still think it would have made a nice feel good story! lol

Steve
05-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, Brian Dean ended up being the reporter on this one. But I've noted this whole matter on my, well, you know.

FritterGirl
05-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I think I posted in one of the other threads on the matter that the CVB should invite the article's original author, Mr. Clarke, to visit our little "Hell On Earth" and show him the many delights that OKC has to offer.

It could turn up being a great PR move for the City.

Of course, this would only work if we invited him during "blizzard season," so he can experience for himself exactly how hellish it is!

brianinok
05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I emailed askmen.com. Solitude, I hope you don't mind my using a little of your email. :)

To Whom It May Concern:

You may now consider your website to have less than 5 million readers a month. I cannot continue to support a website that has such blatant disregard for the facts. Your determination that Oklahoma City is the 5th worst hell on earth (including worse than Baghdad, Mogadishu, and Chernobyl) is extremely offensive and fantasy. Regarding snowstorms, we rarely have them. But then again, having such mild winters, we consider a "snow storm" to be 3 inches. The May 3rd tornado "devastated much of the city?" You clearly did no research, as a couple thousand people were displaced out of 1.3 million. And the weather is extremely predictable, and we know days in advance when tornadoes are possible. If you wanted a US city on your list, perhaps you should look at cities that have been or could be devasted by earthquakes, like Los Angeles and San Francisco, or the complete devastation that New Orleans still can't seem to escape (note that many of their people and their NBA team moved to Oklahoma City after Hurricane Katrina). And if you are so worried about blizzards, perhaps you should consider Buffalo. Or if its terrorism, Washington, DC and New York City certainly have us beat.

So that you know Oklahoma Citians are not the only ones who feel this way, AOL, to whom you provided this content, recently said that their "editorial team looked at the material and were unanimous in their agreement that inclusion of Oklahoma City in that kind of negative list was wholly unfair and poor quality journalism." While I certainly believe that a retraction and edit of your story is warranted, I am in no way demanding. You can print what you want. But please do so with the understanding that as long as you print fictitous drivel like this article, me and many of my fellow Oklahoma Citians will steer clear of your website.

Sincerely,
<name>
<phone>
<email>
<address>

Karried
05-03-2008, 12:23 PM
That was a good letter.

I'm hoping they got the message!

Midtowner
05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't see the problem really.

It's just a list made for fun. It's hardly "journalism."

brianinok
05-03-2008, 03:02 PM

It's just a list made for fun. It's hardly "journalism."AOL seemed to agree with you that it was hardly journalism. But, since it was masquerading as journalism, they removed it.

jbrown84
05-03-2008, 04:59 PM

I disagree. The list showed 9 cities with serious problems that endanger citizens daily. It was very serious, and then they threw in OKC, which did not fit that criteria, and was simply an absurd, bizarre inclusion. We're talking a list of 9 places that any reason to go there is far outweighed by the reasons not to, and then they add OKC in there for whatever reason, as if a visitor to OKC could actually get killed in the Natural Disaster version of a roadside bomb.

flintysooner
05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Nothing really "just for fun" to me about Chernobyl.

BabyBoomerSooner
05-03-2008, 07:03 PM

I agree. The Oklahoma City inclusion is so out of place that its listing should create laughter. Look at it this way; at least they're talking about us.

OUGrad05
05-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I agree. The Oklahoma City inclusion is so out of place that its listing should create laughter. Look at it this way; at least they're talking about us.

I'm pretty sure it was down to make the city look bad. You'd be surprised just how many people think indians still ride around on horses around here. It's pretty amazing just how nieve people are on the east/west coasts with what happens here in the middle the nation.

metro
05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
brianinok, great letter!! keep us posted if you hear anything back.

dismayed
05-04-2008, 08:51 AM
The email forms at AskMen.com are no longer going through on this subject. I dug up the author's personal email and telephone contact information and have posted it in the following thread, should you wish to share your thoughts with Nick Clarke himself:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/12805-okc-one-ten-hells-earth.html#post141458

brianinok
05-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I forwarded my previously posted email to Mr. Clarke. I have not heard from either Mr. Clarke or askmen.com, but will let you know if I do.

peaches
05-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I personally think it is a gross invasion of privacy to post the writers personal e-mail adress and phone number. I am also incredibly embarressed by the behaviour of my fellow Americans. It is obvious that this so called list was meant to be tongue in cheek with no intention of being offensive, it is shocking that as Americans we take ourselves so seriously and frankly it is exactly this type of close minded response that only furthers the image of ignorance that other countries pin onto us. It is a sad day indeed when people can no longer make a harmless joke. I find this blatant attempt at political correctness to be incredibly stifling and narrow minded, whatever happened to the freedom of speach that America once stood for?! I can only hope that people can put as much effort into matters of true importance as they have into this ridiculous witch hunt.

brianinok
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
peaches, he clearly lists his email address on his public website. I am shocked and appauled at your response. This has nothing to do with free speech. He is free to write what he wants, just as I am free to tell him what I think about it. And I will let people know about it when they have complete disregard for the facts.

Karried
05-04-2008, 05:30 PM
If it were only harmless, which it's not, it would be one thing, but you'd be surprised how many uneducated people reading this article won't get the humor.

They won't take it as a joke. They most likely will take it seriously considering it was in a well known web publication such as an AOL travel site.

It's actually shocking how unintelligent so many people seem to be these days. I'm less worried about our freedom of 'speach' and more worried about our American education system.

FritterGirl
05-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I personally think it is a gross invasion of privacy to post the writers personal e-mail adress and phone number. I am also incredibly embarressed by the behaviour of my fellow Americans. It is obvious that this so called list was meant to be tongue in cheek with no intention of being offensive, it is shocking that as Americans we take ourselves so seriously and frankly it is exactly this type of close minded response that only furthers the image of ignorance that other countries pin onto us. It is a sad day indeed when people can no longer make a harmless joke. I find this blatant attempt at political correctness to be incredibly stifling and narrow minded, whatever happened to the freedom of speach that America once stood for?! I can only hope that people can put as much effort into matters of true importance as they have into this ridiculous witch hunt.

Not sure where you are from, peaches, but if it were your city being compared to those where some of the grossest of human atrocities take place daily when your city is very far in comparison to those, perhaps then you'd understand.

What makes you think this was meant as tongue-in-cheek? Do you have a direct line to the author's thoughts?

As I noted in another thread, I have no problem being listed among "Cities with the Worst Weather," or something of that sort, but to compare us to Baghdad, Chernobyl, places where unfathomable human suffering take place on a daily occurrence, then, well, we don't fit there at all. The author needs to do his research and report on facts (like we don't have blizzards and tornado season runs largely from the last week of March through mid- to late-May, not August as reported). Then I might laugh this off as a joke. Until then, Mr. Tongue-In-Cheek needs to go back to journalism school and learn a thing about fact-finding.

kevinpate
05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
peaches, never underestimate the ability of anyone residing between Belle Fourche and Arthur City to feel persecuted. It's something in the water no doubt.

Karried
05-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I can only hope that people can put as much effort into matters of true importance as they have into this ridiculous witch hunt.

"A single thorn of criticism is usually more memorable than a hundred compliments"

We feel it is important to raise awareness of the positive attributes of our state and increase tourism.

After all we've done to highlight the positives of our city, this one critique and distinction can undo it all with this misleading article.

I don't care if people think we're thin skinned... we don't live in Hell on Earth and I don't think it was humorous in any way shape or form.

It was an insulting and untrue addition to a list of places that have horrible and horrendous living conditions.

I've spent years justifying and explaining to people why I would ever leave CA to move to OK ( yes, I got that question a hundred times) and I was finally feeling good about that decision.. and then you have bone head authors from another country recommending that people never, ever visit our state because it is Hell on Earth.

Sorry, I'm not laughing.

dismayed
05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Peaches, those were his media contact numbers sweetheart.