View Full Version : Deep Deuce Grill --> The Wedge?

jbrown84
05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I heard yesterday from someone involved with Deep Fork Group that they are indeed opening a 2nd location of The Wedge in Deep Deuce (as rumored), but that it will be taking over the Deep Deuce Grill space. I don't doubt that he knows what he's talking about. It's sad to see Deep Deuce Grill close, though.

betts
05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd heard the Wedge will be in the Flatiiron building. But, maybe I'm wrong. I used to go to the Deep Deuce Grill before the Hornets games, but haven't gone in a while.

jbrown84
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I hope you're right. I hear good things about Deep Deuce Grill and I don't know why it would close.

wsucougz
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
It would be nice to see both The Wedge and Deep Deuce Grill in operation in that area. That neighborhood definitely needs a pub.

wsucougz
05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Maybe they could negotiate for the current leasing space for The Hill, and The Hill can scoot their office over to the current lit clothing store. Doubt it.

OKCMallen
05-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I used to live in the Deuce and for as many times as I've seen it packed and had an awesome time, I've seen it dead as can be. Really underrated food there, but not quite good enough to be a "destination" restaurant, I don't think...

metro
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
underrated food at Deep Deuce grill? You mean overrated. It's a nice local hangout though. I'm kind of skeptical about this rumor considering The Wedge has already seriously looked at (and I thought purchased the other vacant building in Deep Deuce, I believe it's on NE 1st. There is another old thread on this, I'll see if I can dig it up.

http://www.okctalk.com/bricktown-wired/10074-new-business-going-deep-deuce.html?highlight=wedge+deep+deuce

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/10304-new-deep-deuce-development.html?highlight=wedge+deep+deuce

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/10222-wedge-western-2.html?highlight=wedge+deep+deuce

OKCMallen
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks metro for correcting my opinion. ::eye roll

Turanacus
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
metro has big online personality

John
05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Deep Deuce is always a great place to go (with underrated food), but as Mallen said, it can be dead sometimes -- which is never good in the food industry.

metro
05-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks metro for correcting my opinion. ::eye roll
Didn't mean to "correct" your opinion. I was merely stating my opinion. Myself and everyone I know that frequent the place think the food sucks. It's average cafe/grill food you could get in a hospital food court. The ambiance and neighborhood vibe are what keeps the local Deucers (I don't live there but elsewhere downtown), returning.

As far as the Wedge going in there, you could be right, but I'll belive it when I see it considering the links I posted to inside info and articles stating they were going a block and a half south of there.

lpecan
05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I just ate there tonight. I asked a bartender, who seemed really surprised and dismissed it as a rumor. Granted, who knows how much the employees would know about such a thing. While they're not always busy, they seem to do really good business Monday thru Friday at lunch and dinner/after on Saturdays. I'd think a lot of other places would have to close before they would. I can't imagine rent is as bad there as down it BT.

I've always really liked the food, but that's just I.

edcrunk
05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
my friend is the manager at the wedge... i can ask her what the deal is.

metro
05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
please do

wsucougz
07-19-2008, 09:15 PM
7/19 - 230 NE 1 recently gets a new coat of paint. Could this be the culprit?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/wsucougz/City%2020080719/Picture004.jpg

Platemaker
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Yep... that's the new Wedge. It's gonna happen.

edcrunk
07-20-2008, 04:30 AM
please do
sorry, i ate there right after that, but elena was not there that night and i forgot after that.
i lost her number when i did a hard reset on my phone (i didn't realize you lose everything on your phone).

mecarr
07-20-2008, 09:07 AM
the wedge will be great for the area.

mattjank
07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=wsucougz;155749]7/19 - 230 NE 1 recently gets a new coat of paint. Could this be the culprit?

That is the building that had a new pizza oven delivered to last week. The workers said it will indeed be the Wedge.

PLANSIT
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
^Oh f yeah!

betts
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
I wonder if they're going to do any outdoor seating. I'd like to see a deck with tables and umbrellas. It would be nice if they could plant a few trees as well.

jbrown84
07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like my informant was incorrect.

PLANSIT
07-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Duper Confirmation!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/ptownsnwbrdr/DSCF0997.jpg

jbrown84
07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
That wedge shape looks a little off.

lpecan
07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
That wedge shape looks a little off.

They are repainting it. I just walked over there about twenty minutes ago.

Steve
07-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Update in today's Oklahoman

rinni
07-23-2008, 01:39 PM
From OKCBusiness:

Pizzeria coming to OKC’s Deep Deuce area
Okcbusiness.com
By Pamela Grady - 7/22/2008
Owners of The Wedge Pizzeria at 4601 N Western plan to open a second location this fall in the Deep Deuce area of Oklahoma City.
General Manager Elena Farrar said renovations have been underway in the last year at 230 NE 1, just south of The Deep Deuce Apartments.
“We know that there are not a lot of options for people that live in Deep Deuce,” Farrar said. “Especially within walking distance without having to go into Bricktown to eat.”
Farrar says the new place will seat about 50 patrons inside and a patio with additional seating and tables will be placed at the side of the building.
“The restaurant will be similar to one on Western Avenue except the building will have a triangular shape to it with additional square footage,” Farrar said. “And the kitchen will be separate from the dining room.”
Farrar said their Western Avenue location has been doing exceptionally well but the owners wanted to give their patrons closer to Downtown the convenience of eating their pie without having to travel to Western.
Further, the menu will remain the same and wine and beer will still be served while liquor will be added to the drinks menu. Farrar says liquor was added to the menu to attract the happy-hour crowd.
“We’re going to make it fun,” she said. “We’ll try to do some drinks that you really don’t find around here.”

metro
10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Anyone heard anything more on the Wedge in Deep Deuce? I drove by a few days ago and not much more progress had been done since months ago. Anyone know if this project is still on track?

betts
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
They've been working on the outdoor area. There are railings up around it now, and I think they were starting to do some brickwork. I haven't eaten at the Wedge on Western lately, so haven't heard if their opening date has been pushed back.

metro
10-21-2008, 02:12 PM
betts, yeah I saw the railing, but they could have easily had this place open months ago with the rate they were going. Also, the Gazette did a feature review on the Wedge on Western in the Oct. 8th issue. It was a one page article and they mentioned nothing of the new Deep Deuce location.

Steve
10-21-2008, 02:19 PM
They're working on it today. As a sidenote, every time I read posts by people criticizing or making fun of downtown projects running behind schedule, I wonder if the people making such posts have ever renovated an old building or tried to build on "old dirt."

tuck
10-21-2008, 02:44 PM
They're working on it today. As a sidenote, every time I read these posts by people criticizing or making fun of downtown projects running behind schedule, I wonder if the people making such posts have ever renovated an old building or tried to build on "old dirt."

I second that Steve!!!

Luke
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Granted, but there is something to say for underpromising and overdelivering.

Steve
10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Ah yes, but Luke, can you tell me that neither you or anyone else on this board have ever been caught up in a moment of excitement?
I just met with a couple today - very charming, planning on opening up the very sort of business long sought out by downtowners (story is running tomorrow). They're very gung-ho about their business, extremely happy, and they mentioned they plan to open by January 1. Keeping some of you in the back of my head, I mention just how often downtown projects fall behind schedule. As a result, they restated their opening target for "this winter."
Back when I first started covering downtown development, this sort of thing wasn't an issue. People seemed to understand delays more, and there wasn't the sort of Internet presence that sought to hang a person on each minor detail. I just wonder in this age of instant gratification if some people aren't getting a little unrealistic in their expectations.
Just questions I'm throwing out here, once again aflicting the newly comfortable.
;)

betts
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM
I remember the manager saying, quite a while back, that they were hoping for the end of October as an opening. I didn't get the feeling it was a firm date.

mecarr
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I just wonder in this age of instant gratification if some people aren't getting a little unrealistic in their expectations.
Just questions I'm throwing out here, once again aflicting the newly comfortable.
;)

Well, those expectations aren't set by us, they are set by the developers and business owners. If they don't want to disappoint, then don't say the business will be open a year before it actually does.

Luke
10-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Back when I first started covering downtown development, this sort of thing wasn't an issue. People seemed to understand delays more, and there wasn't the sort of Internet presence that sought to hang a person on each minor detail.

Agreed. Even more of a reason to underpromise and overdeliver.

I just wonder in this age of instant gratification if some people aren't getting a little unrealistic in their expectations.

The only expectations we plebeians pin hopes on are those from the developers themselves. And if they're unrealistic, blame them.

:)

PS: Really, I understand what you're saying... just a little banter. :)

betts
10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I saw chairs and tables being dropped off at the Wedge today, so I would guess we're getting close.

metro
10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
That sounds promising.

chillingal
11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Here's what it looked like before. I'm so glad they incorporated the existing structure into their design.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/187840201_ba5790c8b4_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/okcbob/187840201/)

Click the picture to visit my Flickr page with more details about this building.

mattjank
11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Just ate at the Wedge-Deep Deuce for their soft opening. They have done a really nice job on both the interior and exterior. The food was great, and staff were plentiful and very attentive and on top of things. I thought it was even better than the times I've been to the Western site. I believe they open to the public for business this Friday.

metro
11-12-2008, 01:53 PM
matt,

do you know if they are going to sell pizza by the slice for lunch? Or do you still have to order an entire pie?

mattjank
11-12-2008, 01:55 PM
It looks to be the same menu as the Western store, which unfortunately is only by the whole pie. I'll be back, but with someone to split one with.

On another note, the bar area, while somewhat small, looks like a good place for an after work beer or glass of wine.

jbrown84
11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
It's not really the kind of pizza that you would sell by the slice...

Nor is it in a convenient, grab-n-go location for workers. It's going to have to be a sit-down destination.

betts
11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm excited. This is a great addition to the area. We've got Falcones for pizza by the slice, so I don't think it will be a big issue that the Wedge does not. It will be a good place to get something to eat before Thunder games as well.

mecarr
11-12-2008, 04:12 PM
so is the place officially open now?

mattjank
11-12-2008, 04:20 PM
so is the place officially open now?

No, they open to the public Friday.

metro
11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm excited. This is a great addition to the area. We've got Falcones for pizza by the slice, so I don't think it will be a big issue that the Wedge does not. It will be a good place to get something to eat before Thunder games as well.

yes, but for us locals, it would be nice not to have to buy a whole pizza for lunch or have to split with someone who may want something slightly different. It is not even the same type of pizza as Falcone's so no comparison. Also, they could easily make a few basic pizzas, cheese, pepperoni, etc. to sell by the slice for lunch only.

hoya
11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
What kind of pizzas are they?

metro
11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
brick oven fired pizza, more gourmet style

Platemaker
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Ate at the Wedge soft opening last night. The place is deffinately more urban feeling... it's smaller but it is ALL windows (with a great bicktown/downtown view to boot) so it feels more open.

lpecan
11-13-2008, 04:28 PM
yes, but for us locals, it would be nice not to have to buy a whole pizza for lunch or have to split with someone who may want something slightly different. It is not even the same type of pizza as Falcone's so no comparison. Also, they could easily make a few basic pizzas, cheese, pepperoni, etc. to sell by the slice for lunch only.

They do half and half pizza. And a half a wedge pizza is about exactly the size you want. Its probably about the size of 1.5 Falcone's slices. That said, their Grand Opening is tomorrow!