View Full Version : OKC gears up for bike transit plan

metro
05-01-2008, 07:38 AM
This shows how out of touch our city council is when it comes to this sort of matter. Hello, have you people looked at Austin, Portland, Seattle and dozens of other cities and what they've done with bike routes. If you're in doubt, look to your competitors folks.

OKC gears up for bike transit plan
Journal Record
May 1, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – City officials are trying to move more bicycles to the streets with dedicated bike routes in an effort to create a culture more conducive to people-powered transportation.

A Bicycle Transportation Plan submitted to City Council for consideration this week would incorporate many of the existing off-road cycling paths that were created in the late 1990s, linking them together with new routes marked by street signs and painted pavement symbols, City Planner Susan Miller said. The purpose is to establish bicycle routes between neighborhoods, work, shopping and entertainment, Miller said. Or according to the plan text itself: “The focus of the Oklahoma City Bicycle Transportation Plan is on bicycling for transportation rather than recreation.”

To that end, about $1.2 million was earmarked for bike routes in the 2007 general obligation bond issue passed by voters to help create more than 220 miles of new routes in the first phase of the plan. Currently there are only 30.3 miles of bikeways in Oklahoma City, officials said.

Miller said matching federal funds also are available to help fund the work.But Councilman Patrick Ryan and others questioned the safety of the routes identified in the plan and the efficiency of funding a system that riders wouldn’t want to use. “I see bicycle riders now on the streets with no more protection than a bicycle (symbol) painted on the pavement. And I wonder about what we’re creating for our citizens to encourage them to ride their bicycles in these areas,” Ryan said.

Councilwoman Ann Simank agreed: “Can signage also maybe encourage people to ride on a street that we shouldn’t be riding on? … I don’t feel comfortable driving down May Avenue,” she said.

Bike routes are identified by three classifications: Class-1 are multiuse trails separate from roads, similar to those used for recreation around Lake Hefner. Class-2 are on-street bike lanes with pavement stripes identifying reserved space for cyclists. Class-3 are referred to as “sign-shared roadway space,” with pavement markings and signs but not dedicated bicycle space. Most of the city’s scattered routes fall within the third class, as would the new routes created by the first phase of the new plan.

But the new transportation plan was created with input from many local cycling enthusiasts who are comfortable with the type of routes proposed, Miller said. And public education is a key element of the plan as well.“It’s really the system that needs to work together for people to understand how to safely move around on the roadways. It takes a lot of education for people to understand that,” she said.

The first phase also focuses on creating cycling routes radiating from downtown, with a second phase expected to extend those routes to outlying areas. Councilman Pete White said he wasn’t sure the city was ready for that emphasis. “Most bike riding is recreational,” he said. “The idea that the whole plan radiates out from downtown Oklahoma City, I find that a little bit troubling. Because I guarantee you that for every mile that’s ridden to work, there’s 10,000 miles ridden recreationally. So that premise troubles me a little bit.”White said it’s unlikely that anyone would ride “a chartreuse, skin-tight suit to work.”

David Pollard
05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Agree. I live in Amsterdam which is, granted, the most bike-friendly city in the western world. Like Oklahoma city, it is virtually flat and a great deal of the population, including myself, uses their bikes as one of their primary means of transportation. By the way, I wear a business suit, not a chartreus green lycra bike suit!

OKC is definitely not Amsterdam. However, given the massive amounts of space, it would be child's play to take an Amsterdam phenomenon, namely dedicated bike paths throughout the city and adapt it to OKC. The bike paths in Amsterdam are separated from the streets by a few feet in space and about 6 inches in height. They also have red asphalt to make it quite clear WHAT they are.

Radiating paths from downtown OKC might be a pie-in-the-sky dream, but once (not IF) Oil hits $200 a barrel I believe that all mythic transportation alternatives will be explored in ernest.

Final point, biking is GREAT for your health. We can tackle obesity and transportation all at once. Granted it is often windy in OKC, hot in OKC, or cold in OKC. But I can tell you (apart from the 2nd one) we have all in Amsterdam as well. There are wonderful water-repellent suits that fit over your work clothes!

So, what are we waiting for?

jbrown84
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
”White said it’s unlikely that anyone would ride “a chartreuse, skin-tight suit to work.”

You would be wrong, Mr. White. They shower and change when they get to work. It's quite common. I wish city leaders would get out AHEAD of things and try to encourage change in our transportation habits. Did you ever think, Mr. White, that maybe the reason people only ride recreationally is because that's the only place they have dedicated lanes/trails??

Midtowner
05-02-2008, 12:02 AM
You would be wrong, Mr. White. They shower and change when they get to work. It's quite common. I wish city leaders would get out AHEAD of things and try to encourage change in our transportation habits. Did you ever think, Mr. White, that maybe the reason people only ride recreationally is because that's the only place they have dedicated lanes/trails??

For me, it's because I don't have showers anywhere near work and don't really think it's polite to our coworkers or clients for me to just stew in my own juices for 8 hours.

-- and also my bike was stolen.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-02-2008, 02:51 AM
For me, it's because I don't have showers anywhere near work and don't really think it's polite to our coworkers or clients for me to just stew in my own juices for 8 hours.

Same here. No showers. I'd be riding a bike in a heartbeat if we had a place to wash the funk off.

BG918
05-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Lack of showers is a big problem for bike commuters. The best solution is to get a group together in your company and demand it. I worked for a company in Denver that had its employees demand a shower and they put one in allowing the several that demanded it to take showers after biking to work. It then caused several others to bike to work and they used the shower too. Now they are thinking about putting in another shower. Of course in Denver you can bike to the light rail and ride in, which is awesome. I hope we can do that here someday soon. Build it and they will come...