View Full Version : Sooner and I-40 development

Pages : [1] 2

grandshoemaster
04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I heard through the grapevine that along with Buffalo Wild Wings, Del City will be getting a Charleston's and Johnnies Hamburgers. Has anyone heard of any other businesses coming in to that area?

plmccordj
05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
That would be awesome! As a long time Del City resident, it would be nice to have some positive development.

Boron
05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
From what I understand Del City is getting some new Retail Type stores and even a nice motel.

mmonroe
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm wondering why this wasn't added to the other thread on the Shoppes in Del City...

grandshoemaster
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't see that thread anywhere.

mmonroe
05-08-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/midwest-city-del-city/12170-buffalo-hot-wings-sooner.html

Thunder
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
If that is the place what I'm thinking everyone is talking about, being flattened right now. I think Target should've gotten that land. Divided by a highway, a WalMart Supercenter and a Super Target.

There is a lonely house there and it needs to be bought out and removed.

The whole piece of land is enough for Super Target, some retail stores and resturants, and a mega ferris wheel.

mmonroe
06-06-2008, 02:51 AM
I think the area is actually going to be a step up from your usual Target type stores and be a nice asset to area. The afore mentioned house on Sooner, the owners will not sell for anything. I don't know why.. it's just how they are.

Thunder
06-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Well, it is a lone house and they will lose it to Eniment Domain.

bombermwc
06-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Not necessarily. There's nothing that would put the city in a position to do that.

I'm sure they are happy in their home, but if they were smart, they would take the cash because I'm sure they are being offered far more than they crappy place is worth. I don't know these people, but I'm sure it's an older couple that's been there forever and just don't want to move.

okcustu
07-06-2008, 02:44 AM
my brother was saying he saw the house in a documentary and that its over a hundred years old owned by the same family

Redskin 70
07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Not necessarily. There's nothing that would put the city in a position to do that.

I'm sure they are happy in their home, but if they were smart, they would take the cash because I'm sure they are being offered far more than they crappy place is worth. I don't know these people, but I'm sure it's an older couple that's been there forever and just don't want to move.

Nope, the Old Couple live in Grapevine Texas. The current occupant, great great grand daughter of the original homesteader is in her late 40's.
As I am told she cant stand to sell out the place and has considered a bed and breakfast.

:tiphat:

mmonroe
07-06-2008, 10:29 PM
A B&B would be nice...

kevinpate
07-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Don't know if the middle of a Super target parking lot is the best place for one, but we're no where near a saturation point for good B&B's, so luck to her.

Thunder
07-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Don't know if the middle of a Super target parking lot is the best place for one, but we're no where near a saturation point for good B&B's, so luck to her.

You think a Super Target is going to be built at that location?

I wished it was, but I am sure it will not be.

If they relocate to that better spot, that would be great.

Redskin 70
07-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Well I heard the Golden Coral on AD is shutting down and moving to that spot.....But thats from a friend s wifes sister who is a waitress over ther..............so

Also a Perkins restaurant is coming to the location so they say..............

bombermwc
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I seriosuly doubt Target will rebuild. All they are missing is a grocery store...big whoop. If they build on Sooner, then they are right across the road from Super Walmart, and they hate doing that....and probably never would. Plus, I'm sure they have a lease with MWC that would prevent them from leaving that fast. I would be VERY pissed if they left because I walk between stores on 29th all the time, including Target. And I can gurantee foot traffic would slow if they weren't on 29th....no matter what stores go in on Sooner.

Redskin 70
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I dont think that Target is coming to Sooner road.

hoya
09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
That house is from land run days, as I recall. I believe it has protection as a historical site.

Thunder
09-17-2008, 01:02 AM
The development in that area, are they planning to leave the house and portion of the property untouched? Are they planning to continue new constructions beyond and around the house toward to edge of 29th? Anyone have any renderings of the shopping center being built and potential businesses interested?

bombermwc
09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
There were some small renderings a while back, but they didn't cover the amount of land they are developing now. I actually haven't noticed any dirt work south of the home...unless I'm blind. But I would find it completeley plausible to build on either side of it. Then once they can in the future, they bulldoze it and just fill in with a couple more small shops and parking lot.

Thunder
09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
There is no work being done on the south side. They are still working north of that house. Right now, they are fixing up the creek. It looks like the creek was widen and they got layers of rocks on both side. It would be interesting to see what they plan to do there, maybe some kind of bridge for vehicles to travel across. At least they are designing the landscape as natural can be, with the creek still being there. I wonder if they are adding a fountain.

ouguy23
11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
any new news on this?

bombermwc
11-04-2008, 07:11 AM
I saw part of something that looked like a structure...but maybe it was just model beacuse there aren't and slabs yet. It was weird.

Thunder
11-06-2008, 01:53 AM
They are now start working on the south side. I see piles of dirt. That house gonna be right in the middle of it all.

bombermwc
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Well there is some work being done for services...those blue pipes, but I don't know of any plans for them to take the entire 1/2 mile from I-40 to 29th on Sooner. I could be mistaken, but I don't remember the siteplan being that big.

One thing they are going to have to be careful about is the proximity to Kerr Middle School. Anywhere serving alcohol has to be a certain distance away from the school. There have been several restaurants wanting to build next to Lowe's in Town Center, but West Side School prevents it from happening because of that. Mid-Del has several proposals in the works, many of which would involve selling West Side, which would remove that limitation. But Kerr isn't going anywhere. It's not really THAT close of a foot problem though because think about how close Santa Fe is to West Side....but it is something that complicates site layouts.

Redskin 70
11-07-2008, 08:13 PM
The blue pipe is water line. That must be brought in from 29th to service the property.

Regarding the liquor and the school...........distance is not a problem there. More than sufficient

bombermwc
11-08-2008, 01:04 PM
It depends on where they want to build a restaurant. They just can't put it right on the other side of the fence from the school.....

Redskin 70
11-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Of course not, there are laws that govern the distance that clubs and strip bars must be from schools and churches. I think that distance will be easy to achieve considering the size of the project

Drake
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
The building that has started is the Buffalo Wild Wings

amaesquire
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
The building that has started is the Buffalo Wild Wings

Can you tell your sources? I really want this to be true.

Redskin 70
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Its true and is real. Buffalo wild wings. Call Del City Hall and ask them.

The building permit HAS been issued. I got this direct from the MAYOR of Del City:dizzy:

bombermwc
11-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm wondering how they got to build without a slab foundation.

Redskin 70
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm wondering how they got to build without a slab foundation.
Red Iron, pier and beam foundation is what it is called.

Approved and engineer sealed.

bombermwc
11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
K, I just haven't seen one built like that before...I was weirded out. I never saw then drive a pillar or anything so it looked like they were just building on dirt.

easternobserver
11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
concrete just isnt there yet....

Thunder
11-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Right. It is strange to see no foundation at all. No parking lot. No concrete anywhere. Just frames going up. Odd. The houses on Vickie, along side the highway, and the old-fashioned gas station (closed mini store) should be bought and torn down. There is a sign at the corner of the stoplights saying the area is being wiped clean to make way for developments.

bombermwc
11-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I noticed that, but that sign has been there for months and months. I'm curious what they are developing there. Hopefully it will give a better look to the front door of Del City.

ewoodard
11-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Just curious, but where are the entrances/exits going to be? I know that that area is very heavily traveled and was wondering about congestion. Is there talk or plans to widen sooner for a turn only lane in that area?

Thunder
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, the sign been up for a long time, but you have to think of the stages and researchings that took and still in progress. The houses, the city have to work on buying them up.

I'm a bit concern bout how they are going to work the Vickie street. Maintain it a neighborhood street or convert to a heavily traveled city street. No clue on that. 15th street needs to widen and they'll have to widen the roads along side the highway, the one on-ramp to i40.

Redskin 70
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Right. It is strange to see no foundation at all. No parking lot. No concrete anywhere. Just frames going up. Odd. The houses on Vickie, along side the highway, and the old-fashioned gas station (closed mini store) should be bought and torn down. There is a sign at the corner of the stoplights saying the area is being wiped clean to make way for developments.
The old gas.mini store station has been bought by the city, it has been declared surplus and has been ordered torn down. It should be down before Christmas, I called the mayor and thats what he says. He also told me the old nail shop at 15th and sooner has also been bought by the city and will be torn down......Not sure what I think about that. Why take out a business that is operating and the building isnt that old>>>>>>>

Thunder
11-16-2008, 09:44 AM
The old gas.mini store station has been bought by the city, it has been declared surplus and has been ordered torn down. It should be down before Christmas, I called the mayor and thats what he says. He also told me the old nail shop at 15th and sooner has also been bought by the city and will be torn down......Not sure what I think about that. Why take out a business that is operating and the building isnt that old>>>>>>>

I wonder how old that gas station is. Does it qualify to be historic? The style of it and that old parking light, shouldn't they be preserved? Moved elsewhere and convert into a muesum?

I am not happy with the city's decision to buy that nail shop on corner of 15th and Sooner. That was wrong of them. The land belongs to Walmart and they had been trying to offer those stubborn Chineses to accept the money to buyout the place to build a gas station. That nail shop was horrible, they were doing lousy business. I dunno what the city is gonna do with that tiny portion, but it is best to give it to Walmart.

bombermwc
11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
The gas station is far from historic. We've still got hundreds of them around town...they're just mostly in more depressed areas. I don't you'd find much to support keeping it for anything...anywhere. The way those places are built, they are pretty much designed to fail. Structurally, there isn't anything fancy there....just a box with wings. I say they are designed to fail because of the runoff. Everything flows onto the main structure instead of away from it, so it gets pounded more than it should....but they didn't engineer them to compensate for that.

As for the nail place....good riddence. I hope Wal Mart moves in and builds their gas station there. Cheap gas hoooo.

Redskin 70
11-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Thunder, your comment got me wondering about the old gas station so I went and checked it out....................absolute piece of junk.........Its just basically a square box built of out concrete blocks with two not so fancy looking wings built out of it.

I saw some city guys there and they said the wrecking crew has already been hired and will be down before December 1

Yeah I hear ya about the Walmart gas station....................yeahhhhhhhh:woowoo:

sethsrott
02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
I have on the word of someone involved with the project that Johnny Carino's will be one of the tenants of 'The Shoppes at Del City'

TaoMaas
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I have on the word of someone involved with the project that Johnny Carino's will be one of the tenants of 'The Shoppes at Del City'
You just made my wife very happy. lol I hadn't looked at this thread before today, but this past weekend when we were driving past this development at I-40 and Sooner, my wife pointed out that one of her co-workers lives in that house that's on the edge of the development. As someone posted earlier, it's been in the same family for a number of years and they have no intentions of selling.

amandagall5
02-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I drove by here this afternoon on I 40, they have installed a bridge over the creek behind whatever it is that is being built.

Thunder
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I noticed that they are digging up the creek. There is more being made. Now, I don't think this will be called a creek anymore! lol They're up to something and I would really like to see a graphic drawings. Maybe there will be a fountain, cuz they are definately wanting water ways around. Now, I wonder how it will affect parking.

The houses on Vickie near 15th will be bought and torn down, along the old places right up the I-40 entrance. Behind all that, there had been a massive leveling grounds, so this will definately be bigger than we originally had thought.

Watson410
02-19-2009, 09:01 PM
I drove by here this afternoon on I 40, they have installed a bridge over the creek behind whatever it is that is being built.

Buffalo Wild Wings

bombermwc
02-20-2009, 07:36 AM
The bridge was an unexpected surprise for me. It really is a much bigger development than it appears to be from the highway. Construction has really picked up lately and I would imagine that we'll see some building starting up on the other side of the creek soon. Even though it is just a creek, it has the potential to be a nice feature. At least they made an effort with the stone work so it's not just plain concrete....think Penn Square to Bell Isle...yuk.

Thunder
02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
This is a positive feature that Del City will have that MWC don't have, beside the pond and park by the tourism welcome center.

We should also be expecting resturants and stores that MWC do not have on 29th, unless some decides to relocate.

Ashley+3
03-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I would love for a Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack to go in there!!

narrowexpanded
04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
any new info on what is going in? im particularly interested in what kind of anchor stores they might be able to attract.

Luke
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
It's probably been said already, but Charleston's has signed a contract last I heard.

Thunder
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised that this specific project isn't releasing much info on what is going there or not. I wonder just how much the city is publicizing to retailers.

I did notice a portion of the street on Sooner doesn't seem to be designed well. 2 lanes exit? Doesn't look good to me and the lanes look too small. Kinda weird.

bombermwc
04-24-2009, 08:37 AM
That seems to be the way corporations are going these days. Don't release it until the sign pops up. The 29th street groups had specific items in their contracts that their building on the site would not be released. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to NOT tell people that you are building. So the fact we know anything about Sooner, is good. Just don't be surprised if some of it changes.

John1744
04-26-2009, 12:33 PM
The gf and I were discussing this the other day, what purpose is there to not advertise what you're building? I know I'd much rather know whats being built so that hype could start to generate through word of mouth.

Thunder
04-26-2009, 02:00 PM
The gf and I were discussing this the other day, what purpose is there to not advertise what you're building? I know I'd much rather know whats being built so that hype could start to generate through word of mouth.

Maybe they're keeping it a hush-hush, because of MWC. The same for Target, they don't want Walmart to find out.

chasbrittain
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
What I would like to see in the MWC/Del City area is a good quality movie theater.

Any comments on that ?

Thunder
05-13-2009, 06:50 PM
What I would like to see in the MWC/Del City area is a good quality movie theater.

Any comments on that ?

Now, why didn't anyone think of it? :omg: