View Full Version : Excellent OKC article in Executive Traveler magazine

metro
04-30-2008, 07:47 AM
The link is worth checking out:

Executive Traveler - The Magazine - Oklahoma (Better Than) OK Oklahoma City presents a stylish new face for a new century. (http://www.executivetraveler.net/article.php?article=141)

Oklahoma (Better Than) OK
Oklahoma City presents a stylish new face for a new century.

STORY & PHOTOGRAPHS BY LIBBA YOUNG

Oklahoma City’s revival cannot really be referred to as a “Renaissance” per se. If there’s a word for a city that’s making a comeback when there is really nothing to come back from, this is the word to describe what’s going on in Oklahoma City today. The city is celebrating it’s centennial by luring sports teams, building river and canal systems, and hosting Olympic qualifying events. What a pleasant surprise to find world-class museums, exquisite dining, luxury hotel accommodations, and a thriving nightlife in a city that lives in the country’s history books for the Great Land Run of 1889, and in its memory as the site of the 1995 terrorist bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. Happily, Oklahoma City looks forward.

Water, Water Everywhere
After taking a hard look at their town and what might attract sports teams, businesses, and tourists, Oklahoma City realized that cities residing on bodies of water are typically more popular. Hence the revitalization project responsible for the man-made canals linking the thriving entertainment district of Bricktown and the series of seven dams that created the Oklahoma River, which now flows through the city and accommodates rowers from across the country for races and championships.

Once a busy warehouse district, Bricktown is now the city’s premier entertainment and dining venue. The area is home to fondue restaurants and swank lounges like the Skyy Bar, as well as movie theaters, hotels, bowling alleys, monumental bronze sculptures, and AT&T Bricktown Ballpark, all linked by the mile-long Bricktown Canal. The best way to traverse the area, and have a laugh while you’re doing it, is to purchase a water taxi pass, which grants you all-day access and makes six stops along the canal, all the while providing entertaining commentary on the city and its residents. The Water Taxi can accommodate private group charters for tours and dinner cruises (www.watertaxi.com).

Opened in January 2006 on the banks of the Oklahoma River, the Chesapeake Boathouse was designed by Rand Elliott to resemble a sleek rowing shell (www.chesapeakeboathouse.org). The Boathouse hosts international triathlons and the city’s Riverfest and Regatta Festival, and this month it will host the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Sprint Canoe/Kayak (April 18-20) and will host another national event in August with the USA Canoe/Kayak National Championship. In addition to participating in festivals and witnessing competitions, visitors can rent kayaks, explore more than 12 miles of bicycle trails along the river, or hold a function in the event room, which houses a 62-foot window overlooking the boat bays. Make sure to drive by at night: the translucent polycarbonate walls give the building the appearance of floating above the river.

The Mother Road
Road warriors and Americana buffs take note: Oklahoma has more drivable miles of Route 66 than any other state. A short drive from the city lies a section of America’s “Mother Road.”

Arcadia’s Round Barn (Round Barn Site (http://www.arcadiaroundbarn.org)) was originally built in 1898 and stands today solely because of donations from visitors and the volunteers who gave their time and money when the roof collapsed in the 1980s. Completely restored and opened to the public in 1992, it is truly a testament to the power of a determined community. The curator (of sorts), “Mister Sam,” will regale you with anecdotes and a trip down his own personal memory lane (for hours if you let him), but it’s best to skip out on his life story while he’s still in his twenties and take a stroll around the lower level, making sure to grab a free paper airplane from the box and any other Route 66 paraphernalia you might want to take home, before you head up to the great domed room, which affords a breathtaking view of the surrounding countryside.

Be sure to have lunch, gas your car, and grab a soda at Pop’s (www.pops66.com), located a hop, skip, and a jump from the Round Barn. This diner/gas station/convenience store (“Food, Fuel, and Fizz”) represents a revitalization of the Oklahoma
section of the Mother Road, and looks like something straight from a Jetson’s cartoon, with hundreds of multi-colored bottles lining the angled glass walls. Designed by architect Rand Elliott, the 66-foot steel soda bottle sculpture, lit with Times Square-quality luminosity and changing colors after dark, makes it easy to spot. Opened in August of 2007, Pop’s sold 66,000 bottles in just three months, shipping in pop from as far away as Hong Kong. With more than 400 kinds to choose from, expect to spend some time laughing at clever logos (Leninade, complete with hammer and sickle label, was my personal favorite) while waiting for your meal. I just hope they recycle.

Carnivores Rejoice
Although technically on a diet, Oklahoma City’s mayor can’t help but encourage visitors to enjoy some of the best cuts of steak in the nation. Located in Stockyards City, Cattlemen’s Steakhouse (Cattlemen's Steakhouse - Oklahoma City Stockyards (http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com)) opened 90 years ago to feed cowboys, cattle haulers, ranchers, and workers getting off their shifts at the nearby stockyards. Years later, it has become an Oklahoma City institution, and is singularly responsible for the revitalization of this once rundown part of town. The area is now home to everything from western apparel and goods stores to Native American jewelers and art galleries. Be sure to order your table a plate of Lamb Fries, and wait until everyone has tried one before you divulge that a lamb fry is an Oklahoma term for sheep testicle. Cattlemen’s serves up 400 pounds of this “delicacy” a year.

Red Prime Steak (RED Prime Steak Downtown Oklahoma City Gourmet Restaurant Dining Near Bricktown Fine Wines Steakhouse (http://www.redprimesteak.com)) is a trendy new restaurant designed, yet again, by architect Rand Elliott and located in a historical downtown building. With red lights lining the hallway, a wine tower, and private booths housed in hollowed-out columns, you will feel like you’re dining in a swank New York City restaurant instead of a one-time Buick car dealership. Aside from the atmosphere, Red Prime Steak is a unique dining experience due in part to the combination of crusts and sauces diners can choose with their entree. Combine your American Wagyu Kobe Steak or Forty Day Dry-Aged Ribeye with crusts such as Maytag Bleu Cheese or Brown Sugar and Sea Salt, and sauces like Herb and Garlic Confit or Black Truffle Butter. Red Prime also flies in seafood daily, and offers impressive sides, which could serve as a meal in and of themselves. I highly recommend the Flash Fried Baby Spinach and the Bleu Cheese Biscuit Pudding.

Museums & Memorials
One-third of Oklahoma’s population knew someone who died in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995. The mission statement of the Oklahoma City National Memorial (Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum – Official Website (http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org)) called for the creation of a memorial to “remember those who were killed, those who survived, and those changed forever . . .” This is a memorial to the people who lost their lives and to those who helped during the emergency rather than a museum about terrorism and the men who planned and executed the assault. Although an intensely emotional experience, the city has embraced the attack as part of its history and does a remarkable job of commemorating the victims. It’s a moving testimony to the impact of violence. Like many other sites in Oklahoma City, after sundown is an excellent time to walk around the reflecting pool and view the memorial chairs. Each of the 168 chairs (representing the 168 people killed) is lit up at night.

Oklahoma City Museum of Art (Oklahoma City Museum Of Art (http://www.okcmoa.com)) is located in the heart of the Art District and boasts the most comprehensive Dale Chihuly exhibit in the world, including his tallest tower. The exhibition includes 1,500 pieces of hand-blown glass; 18 glass installations, including walls, ceiling, cases, and groupings; two fishing boats imported from Finland; three white bark silver maple logs; and 290 light fixtures. In my humble opinion, this exhibit is reason enough to visit the city. Oh, and the museum also has an impressive permanent collection of European and American art, and will be the final North American venue for Roman Arts from the Louvre, which will feature some 184 works (some weighing more than 6,000 pounds) and will be on display June 19 through October 12, 2008.

Details
For more information on Oklahoma City, visit Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau (http://www.visitokc.com).

Where to Stay

Colcord Hotel
15 N Robinson Avenue
866-781-3800
Luxury Boutique Hotels By Bricktown | Downtown OKC | Colcord Hotel, Oklahoma City, OK (http://www.colcordhotel.com)

The Skirvin Hilton of Oklahoma City
One Park Avenue
405-272-8504
Hilton Skirvin/Oklahoma City Oklahoma Hotel - Skirvin Hotel - Oklahoma City OK Hotels (http://www.skirvinhilton.com)

More Online
For more images of Oklahoma’s Route 66, visit Executive Traveler - The Magazine - Route 66 Photos Images from Oklahoma's stretch of Route 66 (http://www.executivetraveler.net/rte66photos).

Photo Captions:
Photo 1: The Myriad Botanical Gardens offers a great view of Oklahoma City’s skyline, as well as the exterior of the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, an amazing 224-foot long cylindrical jungle.
Photo 2: There are more than 1,000 specimens in the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, representing plants from every continent except Antarctica.
Photo 3: Arcadia’s Round Barn has been hosting dances and other events in its domed upper story since 1898.
Photo 4: “Red Wind” is Red Prime Steak’s main dining room concept that sweeps the room with a warm glow using suspended “rays” of red neon, creating energy and light that refracts off the building’s original 1911 brick walls.
Photo 5: The Oklahoma City Museum of Art is home to Dale Chihuly’s Persian Ceiling, which features 226 square feet of shatterproof glass in a 40-foot-long display.

shadow42
04-30-2008, 09:10 AM
That is a really exciting and positive article. Thank you for posting. We just moved out of our home in so.cal. and are in a hotel temporarily until we move to OK on June 6th. I was really getting some cold feet and wondering to myself if we are doing the right thing. This article reminded me of all the exciting things happening in the area and once again I feel confident in our decision.

Karried
04-30-2008, 09:32 AM
That's a great article....thanks for posting!

shadow42, like everything, it's what you make of it. We moved from CA as well and it is an adjustment.

I'll admit to being homesick and missing my friends, the mountains and ocean, the diversity, culture and especially the mild weather.

But, I try to focus on the positives of OK for our family, I think this was the best move for our kids - we have great schools (we chose Edmond school district), low, low cost of housing, great opportunities for starting a business, (right to work state), low traffic, short commutes, low crime, low gang activity ( for now at least), short lines (think banks and airport!) We do a lot of traveling and getting in and out of the airport is a breeze.

And mostly friendly people. Lot's of religion here, if you're into that, you'll love it.

I like the fireflies, the lightening storms ( in moderation) and the changing leaves. Some parts of Eastern OK are so pretty - ie Robber's Cave area is such a great getaway.

So, anyway, I'm hoping this helps you a bit on your adjustment to moving.. it might take some time to feel at home, learn to navigate the freeways (what am I saying? I'm still lost! lol) but in time, you will learn to appreciate what the state has to offer and be glad you are out of the hustle and bustle of a larger city ... especially if you did what we did and sat in traffic for hours on end daily during our commutes.

ps... if you haven't found a home yet, focus on getting one that is weather friendly, ie, highly insulated, geo thermal, high rated thermal windows, high AC seer ratings, etc etc.. that will help you save money in the long run on utilities.. because that was a shocker to me... also, see if you can get a storm shelter. A little investment now in these items will go a long way to comfortable living in the future. Wish we would have done that!

shadow42
04-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes, I do realize it will be an adjustment and overall am excited about the move. I think leaving some very good friends is the hardest part of all and so I am a bit nervouse, but really think this is what we need to do and think our financial health will benefit most. So, since you mention utilities, I am wondering if you could elaborate...are they expensive out there? Reason i ask is that soooo many homes are very large and I wonder what it costs to heat/cool those 3000+sqft homes. My hubby and I have discussed looking at smaller homes...like around 2800 sqft, but not much smaller than that. Thanks.

MikeLucky
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes, I do realize it will be an adjustment and overall am excited about the move. I think leaving some very good friends is the hardest part of all and so I am a bit nervouse, but really think this is what we need to do and think our financial health will benefit most. So, since you mention utilities, I am wondering if you could elaborate...are they expensive out there? Reason i ask is that soooo many homes are very large and I wonder what it costs to heat/cool those 3000+sqft homes. My hubby and I have discussed looking at smaller homes...like around 2800 sqft, but not much smaller than that. Thanks.

My 1600 sq. ft. house takes about $65 per month for electric and $70 per month for gas...... But, it's just me so for a family it would probably run closer to $100 each..... Don't know if that helps, but it might give you some idea.

soonerfan21
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow! What a terrific article! Is it only on line or do they publish a hard copy version of the magazine - do you know Metro?

Kerry
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Shadow42 - bring your friends to Oklahoma City with you.

tuck
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Wow! What a terrific article! Is it only on line or do they publish a hard copy version of the magazine - do you know Metro?

hard copy is available

shadow42
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Kerry, I would love to bring my friends out with me. I am actually working on my neighbor, but they have been looking at Austin, TX and I here that is a pretty awesome place to live. When we tell people we are moving to OKC, the most common reaction is..."Oh, ...why are you moving there?"...lol. One of my sis-in-laws said we were moving to the dust bowl. So, I just love seeing articles like the one above because it shows that OKC is an up-and-coming place to live!

Karried
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Maybe because I'm still not too used to the weather and am a big wimp ( can't stand to be cold!), my utility bills are outrageous.... like I said, I wish we would have gotten a much better energy efficient home... we didn't and now we're paying for it.

On average during the winter our monthly bills range from low $200 to high $340 and summer is pretty close to that as well. 3250 sq ft - 2 story.

I never had AC in California ( didn't need it) and the heater was rarely on so yeah, these bills are a shocker.

Then again, there, our house payment made up for it!

Karried
04-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Anyway, sorry to derail the thread... lol, back to how great OKC is!

jbrown84
04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Great article! Link didn't work though. I couldn't find it on the site.

kevinpate
05-01-2008, 05:33 AM
caught just back of TV9's 6 o'clock news last night. Amy reported/gushed over the article near on as much as several have over her bikini photo