View Full Version : OKC NBA news (crow pie for solitude:)

betts
04-29-2008, 11:49 AM
That was meant as a gentle jest, solitude:)

Tue April 29, 2008
NBA team to use OKC in name

The agreement, which focuses on splitting the revenues from concessions and restaurants in the arena, settles the question of whether the team will be named for the city or for the state.

At a news conference after the NBA's vote to relocate the team earlier this month, NBA Commissioner David Stern suggested the team should be named Oklahoma rather than Oklahoma City to take advantage of the proximity of Tulsa and help lure more fans from outside Oklahoma City.

Mayor Mick Cornett disagreed with Stern, saying at the time that the team name would be after Oklahoma City. Whether the franchise will retain the Sonics nickname is still a question.

Team officials have suggested they would be willing to leave the team name and colors in Seattle if that helps in negotiating a way out of the team's lease with Key Arena. Seattle officials have filed a lawsuit against Sonics' owners to force them to honor the lease, which runs through 2010.

The team has signed a lease with Oklahoma City to play games at the Ford Center. That lease will take effect in 2010, after the team's lease with Seattle ends, or earlier if the team can negotiate a settlement with Seattle.

Kerry
04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
So no matter who owns the team - Bennett, Ballmer, Schultz, Ellison or a pubic trust setup by the court, the team has to play in OKC starting in 2010. After all, we have a binding lease with specific performance.

solitude
04-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Consider, isn't it interesting they put that in this contract? Mayor Mick had said it was in the initial agreement and he was wrong. He was concerned. They made sure they got it in writing in the concessions contract! So, without the deluge of calls and outspoken support for an OKC branded team on radio, television, new media - who knows?

But, if I was wrong from the get go - and I'm not certain about that - I'll gladly eat the crow. :)

HOT ROD
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
no matter solitude, Im just glad the team will wear Oklahoma City. I mean, it's only fitting.

And thank goodness that Cornett put it officially in the lease. Now, there's no room for error (or further discussion. ...).

plmccordj
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Here is the story in today's Seattle Times...

Sonics | Oklahoma City approves final lease terms with Sonics | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004381114_webokclease29.html)

sgt. pepper
04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, this is good news for OKC. I was in Owasso this weekend and people up there were for sure the name would be "Oklahoma _______". Some people, not all i'm sure, are not happy in T-town.