View Full Version : Ed Evans buys Oak Tree

SouthsideSooner
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
This is very intriguing. Sounds like he's ready to take it to another level.

"Evans said he intends to have Oak Tree Golf Club designer Pete Dye visit soon to re-evaluate the course.

"We are going to look into a restoration project on the course and continue to build upon what he (Mathis) has done," Evans said. "There are several things on the course we'd like to take a look at. We need to have this place be the premier course in Oklahoma."

One potential change is replacing the fairways.

"I'd also like to see some of the natural grasses on the course from many years ago come back," Evans said.

"I think we'll spend the bulk of this year looking at what we’ve got, and to let the membership know where we're going," Evans said. "Some members may elect to go elsewhere. We're not going to chase anybody off. That's not our intent. But we certainly hope to create a different golf club experience than what's been here previously."

Oak Tree Golf Club sold | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/article/3236401/)

SouthsideSooner
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Evans said he bought the prestigious private course in north Edmond with the intent of luring another professional major event, or perhaps landing an annual stop on the PGA Tour.

"This is something we feel we can do special for the state of Oklahoma," Evans said. "It's certainly clear the PGA views this market as being relatively untapped."

It would be outstanding if we could get a regular tour stop....

Wasn't he part of the initial Sonic ownership group? Anyone know why he dropped out?

"Evans also was involved in negotiations that led to the sale of the NBA Seattle SuperSonics and WNBA Storm to an Oklahoma City based ownership group in July of 2006 for $350 million."

MikeLucky
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Evans said he bought the prestigious private course in north Edmond with the intent of luring another professional major event, or perhaps landing an annual stop on the PGA Tour.

"This is something we feel we can do special for the state of Oklahoma," Evans said. "It's certainly clear the PGA views this market as being relatively untapped."

Wasn't he part of the initial Sonic ownership group? Anyone know why he dropped out?

"Evans also was involved in negotiations that led to the sale of the NBA Seattle SuperSonics and WNBA Storm to an Oklahoma City based ownership group in July of 2006 for $350 million."

He might have dropped out because he wanted to buy Oak Tree instead.... just speculation on my part.....

Pete
04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
This is very good news IMO.

The men's course should be hosting PGA events on a regular basis and I hope the new owner will make that happen. That sort of event is great PR for the entire community.

metro
04-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, Ed Evans was originally part of the PBC, but he supposively got kicked out because he wanted to keep the team in Seattle no matter what.

FYI...Ed Evans made his millions at Dobson Communications and now Stelera Communications as CEO.

He is/was a regular member at Gaillardia, funny he buys Oak Tree. I'm glad he plans to sink some much needed money into Oak Tree. I thought it was a good day when the Mathis Brothers rescued Oak Tree just a few short years ago.

I'd really like to see the Mathis Brothers step up in the community after selling this and do something BIG for the community.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I'd really like to see the Mathis Brothers step up in the community after selling this and do something BIG for the community.

Me too.

I'm thinking...THIRD FLOOR.

Midtowner
04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
They should move Oak Tree downtown. ;)

Karried
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Next to the river under the Ferris Wheel.

traxx
04-29-2008, 01:49 PM

I believe they kicked him out because he refused to use email. Instead he used the phone to voice his damning comments about the sonics.

edcrunk
05-02-2008, 10:53 PM
i'm really excited about this (even tho i'm not really into golf)... i miss the old days when the PGA would swing thru here.

i think anything sports related is a smart choice for OKC (and metro)

i'm really excited with how far edmond has come along. all the retail that has popped up recently reminds of what i was used to in west plano (tx).

metro
05-02-2008, 11:03 PM
FYI...the PGA and Senior PGA has swung by Oak Tree at least twice in the last couple of years.

jbrown84
05-03-2008, 12:13 AM
i'm really excited with how far edmond has come along. all the retail that has popped up recently reminds of what i was used to in west plano (tx).

I agree. It's not where I want to live right now as a 20something, but it's got some really great areas. The 15th & Bryant intersection is maybe my favorite place in Edmond. Hilly, trees all around, and nice upscale development on all 4 corners.

edcrunk
05-03-2008, 09:19 AM
FYI...the PGA and Senior PGA has swung by Oak Tree at least twice in the last couple of years.

my bad... i meant when we used to host the championships. i remember the seniors tourney recently, who cares about that? i know i don't.

edcrunk
05-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I agree. It's not where I want to live right now as a 20something,

right on J, as a 30 something it's not where i would want to live either!
hah
but i can appreciate it that it's a bit more classy than it used to be. edmond's come up a peg or two.

SouthsideSooner
05-03-2008, 10:06 AM
my bad... i meant when we used to host the championships. i remember the seniors tourney recently, who gives a f*ck about that? i know i don't.

Are you serious?

I'm pretty sure the thousands of people who attended and the national TV audience who watched cared.

The Senior PGA is the premier golf tournament in the world for golfers 50 and over. Hosting it's a very big deal for Oak Tree and Oklahoma City.

edcrunk
05-03-2008, 11:03 AM
is it a big enough deal to paint on their water tower like when they hosted the championships? however i concede, i guess hosting a tourney with some old, washed up golfers is better than nothing...

wsucougz
05-03-2008, 01:15 PM
golfers watch the senior tour.

edcrunk
05-03-2008, 02:39 PM

edcrunk
05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
perhaps that's it's, i'm not a golfer.

still, i'm sure it's very excititng... hah!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-06-2008, 01:22 AM
is it a big enough deal to paint on their water tower like when they hosted the championships? however i concede, i guess hosting a tourney with some old, washed up golfers is better than nothing...

Those washed up geriatric golfers are still 10x better than anybody I know. And that's why people watch them.

metro
05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I agree OGTS, I'd much rather watch the older guys than Tiger. Tiger has become a marketing machine and although he does have extremely ridiculous talent, he almost seems pre-manufactured like Disney pop-stars. He even has a Gatorade named after him for crying out loud. I'm a young guy, but like the classic days of sports where people did it for love of the game not money and endorsements.

Chi-Chi Rodriguez, Jack Nicklaus, Bob Tway, etc.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I can watch Tiger play all day. That dude isn't hype...He's that good. I respect that, no matter how much he gets paid.

That said...He's on course to become the worlds first BILLIONAIRE athlete. That's INSANE.

sonicsgate
10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I believe they kicked him out because he refused to use email. Instead he used the phone to voice his damning comments about the sonics.wally walker mentions evans in his interview for sonicsgate, our new documentary about how seattle lost its team. no hard feelings toward okc folks...hope y'all are enjoying our old team.

sonicsgate.org (http://sonicsgate.org)