View Full Version : Film/TV studio to office in Bricktown

metro
04-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Too bad she didn't think about Film Row instead.

Film, TV company to open office
Daily Oklahoma
From Staff Reports

Visage Production Inc., an Oklahoma City-based company that offers film documentary and television programming production, will open its local office in Bricktown on Monday at 4:30 p.m. with a special ribbon-cutting event at the Miller-Jackson building, 115 E California Ave., Suite 420.

Annette Colbert-Beavers, founder and chief executive, will preside over the ceremony.

Colbert-Beavers said in a news release that she will attend the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France. As a writer/producer recently garnering directing and editing credits for several short feature films, she said Cannes is key to any tie-in with distributors as many heads of state are present at this event.

"Film by design is a world market,” Colbert-Beavers said. "And fellow filmmakers should not lose sight that we have some wonderful stories most deserving of distribution.”

Visage is a minority-owned corporation.

"Film

by design

is a world market.”

Annette Colbert-Beavers

FritterGirl
04-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Too bad she didn't think about Film Row instead.

How do you know she didn't? Perhaps it wasn't what she was looking for, or didn't suit her needs at this time. No where in the article does it state that she didn't look at Film Row as an option for her offices, which I agree would have added greatly to the ambiance and development of that area.

Unless you have information or proof that speaks to what her actual decision was, your comment is irrelevant.

metro
04-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Okay, let me rephrase, too bad they didn't move to Film Row. FYI, I worked in the film industry for the last few years and I know most people in the biz don't even know Film Row exists or haven't considered being a visionary and moving down there. If I had the chance, I'd love to help get things started over there.

jbrown84
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Interesting. Glad to see more small companies like this starting up, and hopefully growing.

BG918
04-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Maybe one of our local TV stations would make the move to Film Row? I know it's not a "film" company but different types of "media" in the area could make it stand out. Maybe one of the Big 3 in OKC (KWTV, KFOR, KOCO) would leave their compound on Britton next to OPUBCO and relocate downtown? OKC is way more downtown-oriented than Tulsa yet their newspaper and their CBS affiliate are located downtown, with the NBC affiliate in Brookside. Skyline views are awesome from that stretch of Sheridan...

metro
04-30-2008, 07:45 AM
BG, nice thought but unfortunately I don't see it happening any time soon. I've been asking/pressuring my contacts at all the local stations to at least open a downtown studio/sales office. All the local stations (especially the big 3) have ugly outdated buildings and offices over off Britton/Wilshire area as you know. I also asked a local movie studio I used to work for (who was looking to relocate elsewhere in OKC) to move to Film Row. They all are not interested and don't see the vision for the area. Unfortunately, the local stations are owned by big media conglomerates that could care less about OKC.

I told my sales reps that they personally would benefit by having MUCH nicer offices downtown, they would probably do more business. No one wants to go out to their crummy 1970's cubicles on Britton/Wilshire. I suppose if enough of us "clients" that spend money with them pressured them to do so, then perhaps they'd give it serious consideration and at least take it up the chain to corporate.

OKCMallen
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Do they need to be close to their broadcast antennas?

metro
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
No. That has nothing to do with it with today's technology, although it never hurts. Again, OKCMallen, that is why I also suggested to put just front offices and sales offices downtown in the CBD or Film Row and perhaps one or two small sets/studios. The traffic/production studios would still be located at the older offices out east of the Oklahoman.

FritterGirl
04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
No one wants to go out to their crummy 1970's cubicles on Britton/Wilshire.

Which is why their sales teams always go "out." In my 7+ years of buying media in this market, I can count on one hand the number of times I've traveled to any station for a SALES call. Those calls were usually larger meetings that entailed station or promotional managers for large-scale promotions or sponsorships where I was making the "pitch." I cannot think of one single time when I went to a station because I needed to make a buy. The reps ALWAYS come to me.

The above number does not include the number of television, radio appearances I've made for promotional purposes, where I've had to go to the studios.

metro
05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I agree FritterGirl, same situation here. I will admit though their is an "appeal factor" that tv stations/movie stations/studios have of the public wanting to see or be a part of it. Since they are so crummy, yes the reps are out since their clients are the ones spending the money, however I sure wouldn't mind going to them more if they had a swanky downtown sales office/studio for small shoots.

BG918
05-04-2008, 01:52 AM
I just know KOTV (CBS) in Tulsa is building a really nice new studio in Brady downtown, and aren't they owned by the same company as KWTV in OKC? They do the sports blitz together. I'm just surprised the main TV, radio, and newspaper outlets in OKC are not downtown, except the Journal Record. I was in Dallas last weekend and noticed their ABC affiliate WFAA has a new studio at the base of a new building in Victory Park by the AA Center and W Hotel. I wonder why the OKC stations are so reluctant to move?

On a side note, does anyone think it's strange how the Oklahoman promotes downtown but has its offices and printing facility on Britton? While the Tulsa World is not the best downtown citizen (tore down a 9 story Bruce Goff building for a parking lot 3 years ago) they are still located downtown when they could've left like the Oklahoman did.

bornhere
05-04-2008, 08:42 PM
KOTV is in a cramped old tractor/farm implements dealership which is probably half the size of the KWTV building.

I don't think KWTV's owners would have much incentive to move downtown when they seem to have ample space where they are now. To my mind, it wouldn't make any economic sense for OKC stations to move downtown.

The biggest problem with the Film District, IMO, is that someone came up with a catchy name without giving any thought to whether there was a real market for independent film working space. There was just some assumption that if we named it 'The Film District,' filmmakers would move there. By that logic, we should name some part of town 'The Jenna Jameson District' and then just wait for her to move in.

Personally, I think we've overdone it on all these 'districts' anyway.

metro
05-05-2008, 07:22 AM
KOTV is in a cramped old tractor/farm implements dealership which is probably half the size of the KWTV building.

I don't think KWTV's owners would have much incentive to move downtown when they seem to have ample space where they are now. To my mind, it wouldn't make any economic sense for OKC stations to move downtown.

The biggest problem with the Film District, IMO, is that someone came up with a catchy name without giving any thought to whether there was a real market for independent film working space. There was just some assumption that if we named it 'The Film District,' filmmakers would move there. By that logic, we should name some part of town 'The Jenna Jameson District' and then just wait for her to move in.

Personally, I think we've overdone it on all these 'districts' anyway.

Bornhere, you obviously don't know the history of Film Row then. Film Row was the home to all the major studios from about the 1920's until the late 60's early 70's. OKC was a regional film hub. When the interstate and commercial airline systems came in in the 60's, it quickly dwindled the need for regional film hubs where owners of movie theatres in surrounding states would come screen and purchase their movies, and even produce some. There is a rich film history here that most people don't know about. This isn't something just "thought up", but a restoration to it's former glory.

bornhere
05-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, I know the history of Film Row. It was principally a distribution hub. Or to put it another way, it was a warehouse/office district. It was more like the area that became Bricktown than it was like Hollywood.

I know some independent filmmakers, and none of them could afford space there even if it was $50 a month. Again the issue isn't the 'former glory,' but whether there's any market for space for independent filmmakers.

metro
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
FYI...I used to work for independent film makers and did subcontracting for major film studios. There are some interested, some can afford it, some not. It's a matter of making the area viable and most concern is safety, since it's on the west fringe of downtown where most of the homeless shelters are. It's being marketed as a mixed use area, with offices/showroom already in the district, and condo's and streetscaping supposed to break ground this summer. Don't be a hater, be glad for any progress our city makes. We could use "more districts".

PapaJack
05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Hardy's Steak House was where the Better Business Bureau is today. It was adjacent to what's now Film Row. I remember eating there when my father worked at Sears downtown. Hardy's had dozens of Hollywood celebritiy autographs on its walls. I remember John Wayne, Clark Gable, Charles Laughton, Betty Grable, to name a few. I have often wondered what happened to those priceless signatures when the building was razed.

Hardy's had autographs of virtually all of Hollywood's Stars from the 20's to the 50's. I think their presence in "Film Row" gives more history to the district than just a warehouse area. When the racing scenes for "State Fair" were shot at OKC Fairgrounds Raceway, the stars and extras were headquartered in "Film Row"