View Full Version : Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Karried
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
I wonder what he will do with this?

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- The Santa Monica Pier's iconic Ferris wheel has become a wheel of fortune for an area charity.

The ride was sold at auction on eBay on Friday for $132,400, with half the proceeds going to Special Olympics Southern California.

The owners of the Pacific Park amusement park decided to get a more modern Ferris wheel and auction off the current one, with a starting bid of $50,000.

The 10-day auction ended Friday, and real estate developer Grant Humphreys, CEO of Humphreys Real Estate Investments in Oklahoma City, put in the top bid.

"He is a nostalgic guy and there is nothing more nostalgic than a Ferris wheel," said Gayle Wilson, controller for Humphreys Real Estate Investments.

Humphrey, 32, his wife and four children will travel to California on May 3 to take one of the last rides on the wheel. The company is likely to incorporate the Ferris wheel into one of its developments, Wilson said.

The real estate company is "all about creating communities where people can have good experiences," she said.

The Ferris wheel was put up for auction April 15. It cost $800,000 when it was installed at the pier's Pacific Park amusement park in 1996. It was upgraded two years later to become the world's first solar-powered Ferris wheel.

April 15 Video (http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=240682)

"This has been a great process in finding a new home for the Ferris wheel and we are especially excited to be able to present Special Olympics Southern California with such a large and well-deserved donation," said Jeff Klocke, director of marketing and sales at the pier's Pacific Park.

Over the last 12 years, more than 3 million people have taken a ride on the wheel.

The wheel will be replaced with a $1.5 million contemporary Ferris wheel next month. Installation is expected to begin May 5, with a grand opening ceremony set for May 22.

Starting Monday, Santa Monica residents can ride the Ferris wheel for free, and on Thursday one resident will be selected to be the last rider on the Pacific Wheel.

On May 4, all guests will be allowed to ride for free and Pacific Park will donate $1 per rider to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles.

The Pacific Wheel has been in 105 photo shoots, 71 television commercials, 69 television shows, 28 films and 13 music videos, according to Pacific Park. At night, the wheel is illuminated with 5,392 light bulbs.

Nathaniele
04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for posting, I love old stuff like this and would love to check it out.

brianinok
04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Interesting....

Somewhere along the Oklahoma River would be fantastic.

Karried
04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't it be too cool to have along the river?

Karried
04-25-2008, 05:12 PM
lol, cue twilight zone music, we posted exactly the same thought at the same exact time!

Nathaniele
04-25-2008, 05:25 PM
The whole post makes me think of one of my favorite TV shows, Carnivale!

brianinok
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Great minds think alike.

mmonroe
04-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Why not a whole amusement park pier going on one of the lakes?

Pete
04-25-2008, 06:34 PM
likely to incorporate the Ferris wheel into one of its developments

Doesn't he now control what was the former downtown airport and surrounding property?

Maybe that's what he has in mind.

metro
04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
This will be along the Oklahoma River, probably around the downtown airpark that Humphreys purchased. Remember, I said this about a year or two back, glad to see it actually happening. When I saw the thread, I thought it was going to be asking if anything ever happened. Go Grant!!!!

I'll try and dig up that old post.

metro
04-25-2008, 07:06 PM
ah yes, here is that old post I created 2+ years ago! Looks like he couldn't get his hands on the "world's largest" but this will still be iconic and nostalgic.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/5264-world-largest-carousel-near-downtown.html?highlight=downtown+ferris+wheel

solitude
04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
ah yes, here is that old post I created 2+ years ago! Looks like he couldn't get his hands on the "world's largest" but this will still be iconic and nostalgic.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/5264-world-largest-carousel-near-downtown.html?highlight=downtown+ferris+wheel

Actually, Metro, you were close. You were predicting a carousel. Grant just bought a Ferris Wheel, which was actually mentioned in your thread. The idea of a big Ferris Wheel along the river would be a show stopper.

RabidRed
04-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Actually, Metro, you were close. You were predicting a carousel. Grant just bought a Ferris Wheel, which was actually mentioned in your thread. The idea of a big Ferris Wheel along the river would be a show stopper.

I wonder what it will take to make this thing safe to ride? Placing it next to the river gives me visions of the movie "1942" when the ferris wheel when rolling off into the ocean. :dizzy:

Karried
04-25-2008, 09:03 PM
likely to incorporate the Ferris wheel into one of its developments

Does anyone have info on Humphrys developments here in OK and elsewhere?

dismayed
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh I've been to the Santa Monica pier many times and I know that ferris wheel very well. That's really cool! I hope he puts it to good use and can re-create some of the ambiance that has surrounded the ferris wheel for so many years.

solitude
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh I've been to the Santa Monica pier many times and I know that ferris wheel very well. That's really cool! I hope he puts it to good use and can re-create some of the ambiance that has surrounded the ferris wheel for so many years.

I know, the fact it's that Ferris Wheel makes it that much cooler.

I wonder how people around there feel about it disappearing? I mean, seriously, when I think of the Santa Monica Pier, that's what I picture.

yukong
04-25-2008, 10:23 PM
This will be cool sight on the Oklahoma River.

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-ca/usca35527.jpeg

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=10&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=464806

http://media.komotv.com/images/080416_Ferris_Wheel_Auction.jpg

http://adam.smugmug.com/photos/188251410-L.jpg

Karried
04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Great pics.. if only this would happen on our river.. but I'm not getting excited about it until I hear something more.

Anyone know where his other developments might be if he has any?

yukong
04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I think one of his other big projects is the Flat Iron Building project. And then the old downtown airpark.

The only place this makes sense is at the old airpark property by the river. In some other condo/townhouse development just would be too limited. They will need to turn money from this and it will have to be where the general public can have access.

solitude
04-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Reading through some of those old threads about possibilities along the Oklahoma River, the idea of the boardwalk and Ferris Wheel seemed to excite a lot of people. Maybe Grant picked up on the buzz and liked the concept. Or, maybe Grant introduced the concept here as a trial balloon. Just a thought - you never know.

GWB
04-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Does anyone have info on Humphrys developments here in OK and elsewhere?

His website has a list of projects they are involved in. Check it out here
Humphreys Real Estate Investments (http://www.hrei.com/Home+Page)

mburlison
04-26-2008, 08:44 AM
The Ferris wheel along the River works good for London.

solitude
04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
- Block 42
- The Flatiron
- Downtown Airpark (river property)

Interesting how the former mayor's brother ends up with these prime properties. I see Kirk is Chairman of the company.

dismayed
04-26-2008, 11:06 AM
There's a reason why someone making six figures would spend hundreds of thousands to get elected to a $24k a year job. It's all about networking and making those connections....

mmonroe
04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.hrei.com/public/downloads/Exhibit%20D.pdf

flintysooner
04-26-2008, 11:22 AM
- Block 42
- The Flatiron

Interesting how the former mayor's brother ends up with these prime properties.

There's a reason why someone making six figures would spend hundreds of thousands to get elected to a $24k a year job. It's all about networking and making those connections....

Projection?

solitude
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Projection?

Reality.

mmonroe
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
The PDF I posted has all the river front details as far as building standards, the districts, etc.

solitude
04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
The PDF I posted has all the river front details as far as building standards, the districts, etc.

It's easy to see how you can run up 342 posts in a month. What about deleting one or the other posts and add the pdf link to the text above? Just a thought.

mmonroe
04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
If you're done being a jerk, i'm rather active on this board since I started, surprisingly it befuddles me that people stick around when they have clowns like you. My post was left on the very bottom of the first page, easily overlooked, and I believed it was of significance to make sure people saw it. So instead of worrying about my posts or my post count which is irrelevant, I don't care about post count, why don't you not run up your own post count if you're so worried, and not post trash like this. I think it's better to stay on topic.

solitude
04-26-2008, 11:52 AM
If you're done being a jerk, i'm rather active on this board since I started, surprisingly it befuddles me that people stick around when they have clowns like you. My post was left on the very bottom of the first page, easily overlooked, and I believed it was of significance to make sure people saw it. So instead of worrying about my posts or my post count which is irrelevant, I don't care about post count, why don't you not run up your own post count if you're so worried, and not post trash like this. I think it's better to stay on topic.

Whoa!! Where did that come from?

I was actually being sarcastic with the post count comment as it relates to what I was talking about. I was simply suggesting you delete the post with the link only (which I had no idea what it was when I saw it) and then putting the link in your post above. You would then have this:

This PDF has all the river front details as far as building standards, the districts, etc.
http://www.hrei.com/public/downloads/Exhibit%20D.pdf (http://www.hrei.com/public/downloads/Exhibit%20D.pdf)

Doesn't that just make sense?

Calling other board members "clowns" and "jerks" doesn't go over too well here. Even with posters who disagree with one another.

mmonroe
04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Considering the replies I received when I first started posting here, it wasn't very friendly, and yes it did strike a nail when I read what you had written.

Using jerk and clown were a lot better than what I wanted to put.

Not directed at you, but I hate it when people ruin great boards by selecting out people to belittle just for the sake of trying to make a perception to other people as a top person on those boards. Why I hope that never happens here, I have seen the potential for it.

In all actuality, if you were joking/being sarcastic, then I apologize for the comment.

onthestrip
04-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Funny thing about this ferris wheel along the river story is that I have heard about another person who has already purchased a ferris wheel (form where im not sure) and has plans of putting it along the river. Someone may beat him to the punch.

mmonroe
04-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Or could it be the same person?

onthestrip
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
No, this was a lady that had purchased it and has no relation to Humphries that I know of. And it was over a month ago I heard about it.

kevinpate
04-27-2008, 08:53 AM
if there are indeed two, there's room in the city for more than one. may the best lights prosper and the lesser lights still do well.

FritterGirl
04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Funny thing about this ferris wheel along the river story is that I have heard about another person who has already purchased a ferris wheel (form where im not sure) and has plans of putting it along the river. Someone may beat him to the punch.

I thought the lady had purchased a carousel and had petitioned Lee Allan Smith to install it in Bricktown as part of the Centennial? Or, is this completely unrelated?

andy157
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Reality.Broker fee on the G.M. to OKC transaction

metro
04-27-2008, 07:57 PM
- Block 42
- The Flatiron

Interesting how the former mayor's brother ends up with these prime properties. I see Kirk is Chairman of the company.

Sorry dude but it's actually the former mayors son, not brother. FYI, grant was also in the know 2 years ago when we were talking about Ferris Wheel/Carosel ideas on the river.

jenni_duncan
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
-

Just to clarify: Grant is Kirk's son, not his brother. I second and third and so on, all these great ideas about a boardwalk and park! I too have been to the Ferris wheel; and to think that it will soon be here for us to enjoy is very exciting. Hopefully it goes well for Grant, his company and OKC.

solitude
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry! .....let me clarify.....

Grant is Kirk's SON - not his brother.

Does it matter with what my point was? Which was:

- Block 42
- The Flatiron

Despite that, I wish him luck with the Ferris Wheel.

edit:

Just a little research and everything comes into focus.

In the Spring of 2005, the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority awarded the right to redevelop a key downtown property to Urban Form, LLC. This company was formed by Grant Humphreys for the purpose of developing owner-occupied housing in downtown Oklahoma City. In March, 2006, the first project known as “Block 42” should begin construction and will offer 42 condominiums.
From: City of Oklahoma City - Mayor's Development Roundtable (http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable/2006/index.html)

jbrown84
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
No, this was a lady that had purchased it and has no relation to Humphries that I know of. And it was over a month ago I heard about it.

Okay, but does she have land?

- Block 42
- The Flatiron

Grant is the best developer out there now. Much worse developers have been given land by OCURA.

edcrunk
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
- Block 42
- The Flatiron

hah... you speak as if there is a conspiracy or something. actually, block 42 & the flat iron are prime properties in part due to him developing them. anyone with vision can see how any spot in between the river and the new crosstown is worth snapping up....

solitude
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
hah... you speak as if there is a conspiracy or something. actually, block 42 & the flat iron are prime properties in part due to him developing them. anyone with vision can see how any spot in between the river and the new crosstown is worth snapping up....

Of all the poeple who could have, "snapped up," those prime properties, it happens to be the son of the former mayor. OCURA members serve at the pleasure of the mayor. Sorry, but only the politically naive can fail to see the possibility of inside good old boy dealing.

Drake
04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Who cares. Kirk Humphreys was in commercial RE before he was mayor.

It not like his son was handed a couple of easy projects and made easy money off of the them. Both projects have taken a lot of time & money.

BDP
04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
It not like his son was handed a couple of easy projects and made easy money off of the them.

Yeah, but let’s be honest, it was easier for him because of his political connections than it would have been for most. It's not like he wouldn't have an advantage because of his family. Sort of like insider trading. He clearly has access to privileged information or at least good information on a privileged time line, which is everything in real estate.

I agree that he is competent and has not wasted these opportunities nor taken advantage of them by building crap on prime locations. But it is funny how indifferent people can be about insider politics and, in fact, how envious some seem to be of it. In reality, this is unfortunately how most of these things are done, whether they are family or not, and I don't think there has been any wrong doing in this case, but this is also how people can take advantage of the city and it's indifference by the community that facilitates it.

edcrunk
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
i guess my only problem with his post is that he points to block 42 and the flat iron as prime property and uses that as his evidence to some sort of conspiracy. as far as i remember... he was the first one to propose anything for that area. so i put forth that it wasn't considered "prime" until he started to develop it. i could be wrong tho...

andy157
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, but let’s be honest, it was easier for him because of his political connections than it would have been for most. It's not like he wouldn't have an advantage because of his family. Sort of like insider trading. He clearly has access to privileged information or at least good information on a privileged time line, which is everything in real estate.

I agree that he is competent and has not wasted these opportunities nor taken advantage of them by building crap on prime locations. But it is funny how indifferent people can be about insider politics and, in fact, how envious some seem to be of it. In reality, this is unfortunately how most of these things are done, whether they are family or not, and I don't think there has been any wrong doing in this case, but this is also how people can take advantage of the city and it's indifference by the community that facilitates it.That is very true. But nothing new regarding Humphreys. This dates back to when he sat on the P.C. School Board, and his envolvement in the Putnum City School land deal. Which at the time was considered shady by some, and questionable by most.

solitude
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
That is very true. But nothing new regarding Humphreys. This dates back to when he sat on the P.C. School Board, and his envolvement in the Putnum City School land deal. Which at the time was considered shady by some, and questionable by most.

Yes. Absolutely true. I knew Kirk Humphreys was a less than honorable man when he lied about the PC land deal. He was involved in numerous shady dealings while on the PC board, the land deal being only one. But, this is off-topic and thoughts for another day.

Maybe there is nothing improper about Grant's dealings with the city. But to get approval for projects from a board his father appointed members to is going to raise eyebrows - or it should have. But we're talking Kirk Humphreys and OCURA here.

Oh, did I mention Kirk Humphreys is Chairman of Grant's development group? Again, I'm not saying anything improper has occurred, but the appearance of impropriety is not hard to sketch out.

With all of that said, I hope the Ferris Wheel thing works out to be a big plus for Oklahoma City.

edcrunk
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
just for the record... i thought grant was part of the triangle development group. he's not, but they all started to develop the triangle area around the same time.

onthestrip
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Okay, but does she have land?

I was told she had a piece of riverfront property already.

jbrown84
04-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Of all the poeple who could have, "snapped up," those prime properties, it happens to be the son of the former mayor. OCURA members serve at the pleasure of the mayor. Sorry, but only the politically naive can fail to see the possibility of inside good old boy dealing.

The properties that Humphreys is developing were not properties that were fought over like "the Hill" or the former Mercy Hospital site. I would be a lot more concerned with situations like that where less-than-competent developers were given land while superior proposals were ignored.

Steve
04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Actually, no one competed for the Block 42 site - Humphreys was the only one to respond to the Urban Renewal request for proposals for it.

annieou
04-29-2008, 11:47 AM
- Block 42
- The Flatiron

Downtown Airpark was sold at a bankruptcy auction because the previous owner's were more than $7 million in debt. I don't think it's naive to say that the property was anyone's game and political connections didn't play a part - it's reality.

BDP
04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I would be a lot more concerned with situations like that where less-than-competent developers were given land while superior proposals were ignored.

True. What's funny is that it's easy to point the finger at Grant and Kirk because of their last names, but nothing seems fishy about what Grant has done. At least, it doesn't seem like anyone may have been harmed or suffered any disadvantage because of his connections. If no one else is competing for the projects, then there is really nothing left to say.

However, there has probably been more damage done by some insider dealings with OCURA projects where the connections aren't as obvious because the last names are different.

But as far as this thing goes, I think they have great plans for their river developments and I hope they can get them done and use the Ferris Wheel as a nice icon for their projects and the area. It would definitely give people to look to an area of central OKC that has been ignored for a long time.

centaurian
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah a ferris wheel in okc, what fun that will be
lol

solitude
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
True. What's funny is that it's easy to point the finger at Grant and Kirk because of their last names, but nothing seems fishy about what Grant has done. At least, it doesn't seem like anyone may have been harmed or suffered any disadvantage because of his connections. If no one else is competing for the projects, then there is really nothing left to say.

However, there has probably been more damage done by some insider dealings with OCURA projects where the connections aren't as obvious because the last names are different.

But as far as this thing goes, I think they have great plans for their river developments and I hope they can get them done and use the Ferris Wheel as a nice icon for their projects and the area. It would definitely give people to look to an area of central OKC that has been ignored for a long time.

I think you are right, BDP.

I tried to make clear early on that I was not accusing Grant of anything. I was really stressing the appearance of possible impropriety with having to go to OCURA, (who his father appointed members to), his father being chairman of his company, etc. Someone else mentioned the Putnam City land deals which I couldn't let pass - but should have - as it muddied the waters on these current projects. I allowed the snowballing in my own mind to come through in my posts.

The thing about these message boards is, unfortunately, some of us use them to "think out loud," when it comes to opinions. I'm very guilty of this. I'll give a first blush impression and then when things are explained or flushed out, I will change my mind about this or that. I suppose it's what people have always done, but in the Internet culture the string of thoughts in a thread like this is read from front to back, first post to last and it doesn't look good. I need to remember that. It's not like real life where you can give an off the cuff first thought and then days later talk about how you might be wrong and then a week or two later feel silly you questioned something - that's just life! But a message board is different. If you use it to "think out loud" (as I do) then reading it through like a neatly researched newspaper article doesn't work.

As for the topic at hand, I have said several times that despite any possibility of inside deals or the appearance of inside deals - even if there were none - that I wished Grant good luck with his project. A couple of them have great potential and the Ferris Wheel thing could be truly an exciting addition to the riverfront atmosphere. I applaud anyone willing to be involved in making Oklahoma City a better place to live.

onthestrip
04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Downtown Airpark was sold at a bankruptcy auction because the previous owner's were more than $7 million in debt. I don't think it's naive to say that the property was anyone's game and political connections didn't play a part - it's reality.

Yes, if someone wants to throw down 10 million+ (thought it was around that price) for a piece of land that wont produce any income for at least a decade, then so be it.

jbrown84
04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah a ferris wheel in okc, what fun that will be
lol

Well aren't you Mr. Positive...

Steve
04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm not taking sides here, but I am going to provide this factual tidbit: A few years ago, before Grant Humphreys launched any of his downtown projects, he took a serious look at buying the Park Harvey Building and converting it to housing - a step later taken by Richard Tanenbaum. Humphreys' plans would have included putting on a new exterior skin, but determined he would have required the use of Tax Increment Funding. It's my understanding he withdrew out of concerns related to his father being mayor and any inappropriate appearance.