View Full Version : Chesapeake & NH Plaza

OKCTalker
04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
There was a meeting at Chesapeake last night (April 24) with all of the NH Plaza merchants, and plans were to have been announced. Has anyone heard anything about the meeting?

Kerry
04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
The tennants of NH Plaza hired Slade Gorton to represent them. That is all I have heard so far.

metro
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Seattle is suing....

BDP
04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
McClendon violated his good faith commitment and the sale of the plaza has been voided.

andy157
04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
McClendon violated his good faith commitment and the sale of the plaza has been voided.Man thats twice now he's done that. Is the guy ever going to learn?

Kerry
04-25-2008, 09:22 AM
The kicker was when he was quoted in a local newspaper saying he didn't buy the NH Plaza to keep it in NH. He hoped to move it to OKC.

OKCTalker
04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Where are the mods when you need them!

metro
04-25-2008, 09:40 AM
The kicker was when he was quoted in a local newspaper saying he didn't buy the NH Plaza to keep it in NH. He hoped to move it to OKC.

Now that's hilarious!! :congrats:

OKCTalker
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I wonder if Howard Schultz attended the meeting as Starbucks' representative?

securityinfo
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
There was a meeting at Chesapeake last night (April 24) with all of the NH Plaza merchants, and plans were to have been announced. Has anyone heard anything about the meeting?

Don't know about that, but at yesterday's Planning Commission meeting CHK's request to close 60th street to build a day care center was continued for 4 weeks.. but none of the Planning Commission members were going to allow it anyway.. seems the Commission is fed up with CHK not producing any kind of a Master Development Plan, (after several years of requesting) and are unlikely to approve any more of CHK's requests until such a plan is provided. The CHK representative (not the attorney, Box) stated to the commisison that since CHK was growing so fast it was simply impossible to give any kind of a plan to them, and that essentially the Commission just needed to green light all of CHK's future requests, as a plan was impossible to create.

I'm pretty sure the Commission members were a bit unhappy with that position...

metro
04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Glad to see someone finally making Aubrey accountable. I love most projects he's done for our city, but come on, we need a "Master Plan" now, at least something for the retail aspect. I understand if he can't give one for his campus as they do grow so fast, but for the retail/residential, etc. we do need to keep them more accountable. It's time to see some dirt moving and renderings!

Maybe if we get his emails we can see his true intentions. "I didn't buy all this land to keep in OKC, I secretly bought it to move to Arcadia to build another POPS and another farm". I will leave a giant hole in Nichols Hills that will reach the magma core of the earth"

sgt. pepper
04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
and that essentially the Commission just needed to green light all of CHK's future requests,
What nerve...Chesapeake has done many good things for OKC, but give me a break. Matbe they think we should rename our city "Chesapeake, Ok".

Kerry
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm telling you guys - they are planning to turn the campus into a university and move the business to Core to Shore. They can't release their plans yet because it would drive up land cost in Core to Shore.

I don't know if this is true or not but it is the rumor I am starting.

BDP
04-25-2008, 12:34 PM
as a plan was impossible to create.

Soooo, let's see. Chesapeake is growing, but they have no plan for it. That's pretty reckless. I'm dumping my stock. I'll offer it here at 10 times market value. Think they'll buy it back at that, or do I have to invest it in a gas station that may or may not be in their plans? ;)

Pete
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm sure they don't want to release plans yet because 1) they are still acquiring real estate and don't want owners to see that particular properties are critical to their development; and 2) I'm sure they want more time to get buy in from the businesses and municipalities before word gets out without an opportunity to explain/elaborate.

I'm sure they are trying to get all their ducks in a row behind the scenes and will wait until they think the time is right before making a big announcement. In the meantime, they continue with their campus expansion that's all they're doing now anyway.

It's frustrating but I can also appreciate their position as a developer / landlord. I also remain concerned that by the time they get all the stars aligned the economy or other conditions might intervene.

mmonroe
04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but it is the rumor I am starting. I like it.

1. What the hell are we talking about?
2. Why do you abbreviate Chesapeake as CHK?
3. What is NH?
4. Is this serious, or is this a joke, couldn't tell by the first few posts.

OKCTalker
04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
1. OP (me) wanted to know what happened at a meeting last night.
2. CHK is the ticker symbol for Chesapeake Energy Corporation.
3. NH is an abbreviation for Nichols Hills.
4. Are you serious, or are you making a joke?

BDP
04-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm sure they are trying to get all their ducks in a row behind the scenes and will wait until they think the time is right before making a big announcement.

Then again, this is Aubrey McClendon we're talking about. The announcement usually comes before the there are even any ducks. ;)

Just playing. I completely agree with you and is why I think their attorney's assertion that they have no plan because their rate of growth prevents a plan is pretty ludicrous.

OKCMallen
04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
They're supposed to release their plans so owners can jack up prices? The NH people can do whatever they want, within the rules, and so can CHK. Why are people demonizing CHK?

securityinfo
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Then again, this is Aubrey McClendon we're talking about. The announcement usually comes before the there are even any ducks. ;)

Just playing. I completely agree with you and is why I think their attorney's assertion that they have no plan because their rate of growth prevents a plan is pretty ludicrous.

Just to clarify, it was not their attorney, Box I think his name was, that was talking about how fast the campus was growing, it was another representative, someone who is a CHK employee. The session may be online at the CityVue site.

One of the Commission members even stated that all projects, regardless of size and growth, should have a Master Plan, and that changes could be made to that plan as requirements changed.

Pete
04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
The NH people can do whatever they want, within the rules, and so can CHK

Actually, they are repeatedly going to the NH and OKC planning commissions in order to get variations and building permits.

There is an application process... Believe me, CHK wouldn't be asking permission if they didn't need it.

And when you ask for something the obvious question is: Why? And when you do it over and over again, it begs the further question: Exactly where are you going with all this?

People making these decisions are generally not willing to take "don't worry about it" as an answer, and neither are concerned citizens. What they are doing and are likely to do has far-reaching impact. it's not just about closing a street or building one structure. They own hundreds of pieces of property all over OKC and have already completely reshaped the area around 63rd & Western.

andy157
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Maybe they're not releasing their Master Plan because, well, they don't have one. Could be what they do have though, is a Major Problem, which is, too much money. So maybe their Master Plan is to eliminate their Major Problem of having too much money. Who knows.

solitude
04-25-2008, 02:55 PM
I think it is all about CHK building their own live/work/play district. Most of these are built with the idea of luring business to locate near their district. I think the CHK way is to populate it with people who work at CHK, can live in lofts, apts, townhomes in a semi-affordable way near the campus - and shop and play as well. An urban-like oasis in the near suburbs -- of, by and for CHK - all guests welcome.

As Pete said, these are legitimate questions being asked. I'm wondering why the stockholders haven't spoken up and asked these questions.

onthestrip
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm sure they don't want to release plans yet because 1) they are still acquiring real estate and don't want owners to see that particular properties are critical to their development...

Owners, by simply just being in the vicinity, already have an idea if their property is possibly part of some plan. Releasing a plan isnt going to increase asking prices that much, they are already paying ridiculous amounts for properties as it is. There is certainly no secret about that.

Pete
04-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Knowing that something is afoot and that CHK has been paying high prices is very different than seeing a master plan with your gas station right in the middle of a critical part a development that is about to kick off.

OKCMallen
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Actually, they are repeatedly going to the NH and OKC planning commissions in order to get variations and building permits.

There is an application process... Believe me, CHK wouldn't be asking permission if they didn't need it.

And when you ask for something the obvious question is: Why? And when you do it over and over again, it begs the further question: Exactly where are you going with all this?

People making these decisions are generally not willing to take "don't worry about it" as an answer, and neither are concerned citizens. What they are doing and are likely to do has far-reaching impact. it's not just about closing a street or building one structure. They own hundreds of pieces of property all over OKC and have already completely reshaped the area around 63rd & Western.

Which is fine...just stop approving their permits (within the rules). I mean, WE make the rules, right? Ordinances and permit processes....if we allow them to do it, they should be allowed to do it, IMO. If we (e.g.- the NH people) don't like it, then don't issue a permit.

solitude
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Knowing that something is afoot and that CHK has been paying high prices is very different than seeing a master plan with your gas station right in the middle of a critical part a development that is about to kick off.

Exactly, Pete. You are so right. In fact, my thinking on this is to turn this all around and imagine a government entity gobbling up property through eminent domain and doing it all without giving a reason why. It wouldn't happen. In the case of a private investment of this magnitude, the same questions should be asked. Not generalities - but with specificity.

OKCTalker
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Pete: If Aubrey had SERIOUS pull, he wouldn't have asked permission to close 60th Street (see post #10 above) - he would have just done it, and there's a precedent in Oklahoma City. Look at N.W. 20th Street between Classen and Western (or check Google Earth) and you'll see that American Fidelity dropped a building on it. Years ago, AF founder C.W. Cameron (Bill's grandfather) couldn't get City approval to close it and erect a building, so he just went ahead and did it. If the story is correct, the County started assessing him for the real estate he now occupied (but didn't own), and did so until around 2000 when the AF & the City reached a settlement. Now THAT'S some serious pull!

Pete
04-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Aubrey & CHK has much bigger fish to fry than just this one street/daycare. I'm sure they are holding their big cards until they need to play them.

and certainly at some point, the permits might be withheld until they provide more of a clear picture of their overall plans. It seems we are getting close to that now.

securityinfo
04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Aubrey & CHK has much bigger fish to fry than just this one street/daycare. I'm sure they are holding their big cards until they need to play them.

and certainly at some point, the permits might be withheld until they provide more of a clear picture of their overall plans. It seems we are getting close to that now.

I wonder if CHK may have somewhat overplayed their hand... if they had gone ahead and cleared out the handful of remaining residents (at what I am sure would be a rather considerable cost), then there would have been no one there to protest the request.. so now perhaps CHK is saddled with closer inspection of their ultimate plan (assuming there really is one) and delays in construction of the Campus. I'm pretty sure that in construction delays=$$

I watched the Commission meeting and got the distinct impression that most if not all of the members felt they were owed information from CHK. I'm really not sure why there was even a 4 week continuance.. I mean, what's really going to change in 4 weeks? (a rhetorical question)

BDP
04-25-2008, 06:56 PM
They are owed information. That is what they have been entrusted to do: make informed decisons about developments for the community. They work for us. The 4 weeks is them giving a chance for CHK to show their plans and context of what they are tring to do in the city.

The biggest problem we have had in this city's development histroy is that the people who are supposed to be checking the plans and overseeing development have simply rubber stamped everything without requiring the information which is needed to make the decions they have been entrusted with making.

solitude
04-25-2008, 08:25 PM
They are owed information. That is what they have been entrusted to do: make informed decisons about developments for the community. They work for us. The 4 weeks is them giving a chance for CHK to show their plans and context of what they are tring to do in the city.

The biggest problem we have had in this city's development histroy is that the people who are supposed to be checking the plans and overseeing development have simply rubber stamped everything without requiring the information which is needed to make the decions they have been entrusted with making.

Great points, BDP.

betts
04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I have heard that the land being cleared along Classen will be an upscale shopping center. Not sure if there will be any business or residential along with it. I was taking my dog to Central Park, and I noticed a sign regarding traffic on "Classen Curve". I wondered if that is the name they've selected.

JLCinOKC
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I noticed a video on Rand Elliott's website the other day about "Classen Curve". You can't tell much about it, but certainly looks like a shopping center.

Elliott + Associates Architects (http://www.e-a-a.com/video.html)

JLCinOKC
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh, and the fact that it has "On Classen Curve. Retail for the 21st Century. Chesapeake Energy Corporation" on the beginning title might be a dead giveaway that it's retail.

solitude
04-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh, and the fact that it has "On Classen Curve. Retail for the 21st Century. Chesapeake Energy Corporation" on the beginning title might be a dead giveaway that it's retail.

That's one small part of the overall plan. I still say it's a CHK Live/Work/Play development with the "work" part already sitting there on acres of the CHK campus.

edcrunk
04-26-2008, 04:54 AM
he was quoted in the paper as saying that his latest purchase (the gas station) was his final puzzle piece... so obviously he has a plan.

i'm not sure how much pull he has, but i know he's run into some brick walls in NH, which is full of residents that have a good amount of pull as well.

betts
04-26-2008, 06:25 AM
I think there's still going to be retail in the NH Plaza, but I would guess the residents with a good amount of pull may have shot themselves in the foot. All of that sales tax revenue for Classen Curve will be going to OKC, and I bet NH Plaza is going to stay about the same size and with similar tenants. If they'd let him do what he wanted at the Plaza, it might be the upscale shopping center instead.

JLCinOKC
04-26-2008, 07:43 AM
If I'm not mistaken McLendon has made the Curve "invitation only" as far as the merchant mix. It will be interesting to see exactly who has been chosen to join him in his retail adventure!

Pete
04-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Where exactly will Classen Curve be located??

I can't figure it out by looking at aerials... What is there now?

JLCinOKC
04-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Near Belle Isle. Looking at a Google map the dirtwork starts at NW Grand and follows the "curve" to about nw 56th street. On the current google map it shows some homes that are no longer there. The sight they are working on isn't very wide right now but it makes me wonder if those houses along 56th, 57th and 58th are soon to be toast.

OKCMallen
04-26-2008, 08:51 AM

See, they aren't owed information. You can't sue CHK for not giving info to NH. The key is your second paragraph. You don't OWE the NH people aything....but in turn, they don't OWE you a rubber stamp approval.

Pete
04-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification JLC!

What's interesting about this development is that there is still so much empty space between it and Grand/Western. CHK owns most the homes on those streets so I suppose the plan is to make the entire property some sort of retail courtyard? Or perhaps housing?

They also own almost that entire triangle of land between Classen, Grand & Western.

Also, all the store fronts seem to face inward, not out on to Classen:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/classencurve2.jpg

JLCinOKC
04-26-2008, 09:36 AM
The video on Elliott's site makes the Curve look much larger than narrow strips of land along Classen bit you can't tell if it's retail or residential. The frontage along classen is all directly across from the Rose Hill Cemetery... not exactly a sight to put one in the mood to shop!

Saberman
04-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Just dove by 63rd & Western yesterday. The Service station has been torn down.

Pete
04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Just seems like a strange location for high-end retail, especially when you consider they own NH Plaza and most the property along 63rd & Western.

Assuming a major renovation and expansion of the Plaza, how much high-end retail can that area support?

onthestrip
04-26-2008, 12:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken McLendon has made the Curve "invitation only" as far as the merchant mix. It will be interesting to see exactly who has been chosen to join him in his retail adventure!

What? Are any and all retailers that are "invited" going to jump at the oppurtunity and come running to this shopping center? Its funny that people think that is so exclusive that retailers have to be invited. I can just picture it now, a retailer receives a formal invation in the mail that cordially invites them to lease space in this shopping center.

JLCinOKC
04-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds bizarre to me too and I'm not sure where I saw it. It was a post either on here or OKMET. So I suppose you can take my prior comment with a grain of salt.

But I imagine an invitation from the billionaire founder of a fortune 500 natural gas producer would carry more clout than one from any of us.

Spartan
04-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Glad to see someone finally making Aubrey accountable.

Ha excuse me? I would be much more likely to entrust Mr McClendon with development oversight than the OKC Planning Commission. Good grief talk about comparison. McClendon is great for OKC and he takes a lot of pride in his visions for improving it, or at least turning OKC into a suitable corporate residence kind of place. In fact I hardly doubt renaming OKC "Chesapeake, OK" would hurt us any. Chesapeake, esp with regards to its corporate headquarters expansion, has been 100% classy. Wish more companies took as much pride in the appearance of their company in the community as Chesapeake.

sroberts24
04-28-2008, 09:26 AM
i completely agre with u spartan

BDP
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
McClendon is great for OKC and he takes a lot of pride in his visions for improving it,

Then why is there such a problem with them sharing the vision with the people who oversee development in the city?

There is a reason we have planning commissions and it's absurd to say that we should set a precedence of giving a blanket license to developers for any reason. I'm not going to argue that we have had great planning in this city. We haven't had much planning at all. But that's why I am not going to discourage any efforts made for prudent planning.

Chesapeake's development impact to date is obviously debatable, as it is debated on a weekly basis here. But that's what we should have: a public debate and that begins with the planning commission. I also find it hard to agree that they have such great concern for the city when it comes to their development when this latest move amounts to a blatant disregard for city itself.

It's so funny that they can give the finger to the city and people defend it because they just blindly feel that what is good for Chesapeake is good for the city. And maybe what they want to do is good for the city, but we don't even know what it is and just assuming it will be is the biggest mistake we can make. We should not simply surrender our right to oversight just because they have good landscaping contracts or think people want to work in dorms. This isn't as much about what they've done, but about what they will do and it's perfectly acceptable for the city to say, "this looks good, but we have no idea what you're going to do with the whole area, so how can we say whether it makes sense?"

The company I work for has won awards with some of its developments. Does that mean it no longer has to share future plans with the planning commission or any applicable oversight boards? Of course not.

Pete
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
At the very least, the planning commission, OCURA and the other city-based gatekeepers provide a mechanism for public notification and feedback.

That, obviously, is a very important part of the process and the opportunity for any or all of us to raise many of the concerns identified in the various CHK threads.

securityinfo
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Then why is there such a problem with them sharing the vision with the people who oversee development in the city?

Just as an example, much if not all of the dirt that is being excavated from CHK's activities is being deposited on the east side of Shartel, creating a "Mount Chesapeake" (coined by a resident). There is a BUNCH of dirt over there. Like several square blocks piled two stories or more high. If CHK goes away for some reason, who gets to foot the bill for moving all of that dirt? The City? But I guess with time, the wind and rain will move it away :-)

Perhaps a Master Plan might help CHK focus and not make costly mistakes due to a lack of vision and planning.

But then again, perhaps it is unlikely that a Fortune 500 company would be operating without such a plan.

Somehow I don't think that CHK is going to "spill the beans" four weeks from now...

jbrown84
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't know what to think about Classen Curve. I like that there's no parking on the street, but it looks very plain/flat. Just endless one story glass-front structures. Blah.

OKCisOK4me
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
My mom owns a business in NH Plaza but she was out of town when this meeting occurred. She did have someone attend it for her though & I've been trying to dig the details out of her ever since. I'll post if I find out what was discussed.

john60
04-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree that the Classen Curve video makes it look pretty bland. However, I don't think "bland" has ever been an argument that anyone has ever had to use for a Rand Elliott design. I think it will end up being pretty distinctive, even if the video doesn't really make it look like it. Will that "distinctive" be a "good distinctive"? Who knows.

No one even knows who a single tenant of the place is, and they're already moving dirt on it over there! Surely names will start coming out of the woodwork soon...

securityinfo
05-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Don't know about that, but at yesterday's Planning Commission meeting CHK's request to close 60th street to build a day care center was continued for 4 weeks.. but none of the Planning Commission members were going to allow it anyway.. seems the Commission is fed up with CHK not producing any kind of a Master Development Plan, (after several years of requesting) and are unlikely to approve any more of CHK's requests until such a plan is provided. The CHK representative (not the attorney, Box) stated to the commisison that since CHK was growing so fast it was simply impossible to give any kind of a plan to them, and that essentially the Commission just needed to green light all of CHK's future requests, as a plan was impossible to create.

I'm pretty sure the Commission members were a bit unhappy with that position...

I was made aware of an anonymous letter recently received by several of the remaining homeowners in the neighborhood (personally, I think someone's pot has cracked). Here's a copy:

metro
05-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Interesting.......so is Box representing Chesapeake?

securityinfo
05-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Interesting.......so is Box representing Chesapeake?

He seemed to be represeting CHK at the Commission meeting.