View Full Version : Tulsa is ready to move ahead in hockey.

Laramie
04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Has anyone heard that a group in Tulsa is in presuit of an AHL franchise, and another looking at the NHL?

Funk is making money off this third class "double A" team we call the Blazers. In the early days of the CHL (60's and 70's) these teams were capable of beating their NHL affiliates on any given night, there was real talent.

I became spoiled to watching the early days or the CHL, and the talent in the current CHL is so watered down it isn't funny. I still support the Blazers and go to a couple of games each season; however, Oklahoma City deserves better.

Funk claims his reason for not pursuing the AHL is higher operational costs and the potential loss of our rivarly with Tulsa.

The American Hockey League (class AAA) wants to establish a footprint in the midwest, especially with new arenas in Oklahoma City, Omaha, Des Moines (already built), Tulsa and Wichita with new arenas on the way. Why are we waiting?

Are we going to be a "major league city" stuck in the CHL?

Now is the time to upgrade before we get left out of the mix.

Blazerfan11
04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
CHL is at best rookie league, nowhere close to double AA (assuming we are using baseball terms here)

Kerry
04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
To quote everyone opposed to effort to bring the Kansas City Blades to OKC a few years ago. OKC is a Blazers town. Funk fought the Devos effort to bring the AHL to OKC several years ago. I don't see Funk buying into the AHL now when he opposed it just 6 or 7 years ago. However, he could have changed his mind.

sgt. pepper
04-23-2008, 11:11 AM
the potential loss of our rivarly with Tulsa.
if Tulsa gets an AHL team, there goes that reason.

BDP
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
That's be cool. Then I'd have a reason to go to their new arena. But, of course, that's only if they name the team Oklahoma something, and not Tulsa something.

:LolLolLol

metro
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
is there a need to bold almost the entire post?

Blazerfan11
04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
ha!

So does anyone here think it'd be possible to do a MLS team in Edmond at some point?? Like maybe after we win it all in South Africa or something????

metro
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Blazerfan,

There is already an MLS Edmond thread going. I belive it's in the Edmond section. And YES many of us posters do belive it is feasible.

Dave Cook
04-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Trust me....I'd love to see a higher calibre kind of hockey here on the reservation.

But I'm going to roll the dice and assume none of you have seen AHL games in Cleveland, San Antonio, Kansas City, or Omaha. The crowds, despite what the stats tell ya, are REALLY dead.

Let's get some old San Antonio Iguanas/San Antonio Rampage fans on here to hear what they think. They actually used to have fans in that town.

(By the way, good to see Laramie still lives and wasn't just banished from the chlunderground board).

OkieHornet
04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
i'd love to see some AHL here... i'd definitely pay more to see some good hockey... i go down to Dallas every once in a while to see a Stars game and can't stand to watch a Blazers game... not a big fan of the (lack of) talent level...

i remember the KC Blades fiasco... the Stars even promised to make them their top minor-league affiliate if they moved here...

Dave Cook
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I can't believe you guys are complaining about the Kansas City 'fiasco'. Did you guys happen to remember what happened to the IHL just a season after the proposed move?

It was a disaster of an idea at the time. Granted, Grand Rapids made the move to the 'A' (the owners other team) but even Paul MacLean thought at the time it wasn't a solid move.

Laramie
04-23-2008, 01:42 PM
The IHL disbanded and a few teams went to the AHL.

Kerry
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Sweetandsourpoke - your missing the point about the Blades episode. The Blazers used the arguement that OKC was a Blazers town - it didn't matter which team or league wanted to move to OKC. Funk found all kinds of reason to keep "better" hockey out of OKC. People couldn't afford higher priced tickets (average $3 higher), OKC fans weren't sophisticated enough to know the difference, blah, blah, blah. These comments were made by Blazer fans to keep a higher level of hockey out of OKC. I even remember one Blazer fan saying OKC was a beer town not a champaign town. How is that for a ring endorsement of wanting to keep the CHL. If OKC had joined the IHL it would have saved the league just like OKC has saved CHL many times.

Blairman
04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Laramie

Where is your proof ? It's well known you are not a "fan of FunK"

Are you trying to stir the pot, sorry but I call BS on you

Dave Cook
04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Wait a second. Are you suggesting Oklahoma City would have saved the IHL?????

How in the world could OKC have saved the I when Orlando, Long Beach (Los Angeles), Detroit and Kansas City could not? I realize OKC had better attendance at the time but nothing could have saved that league. And thank goodness the local powers realised this.

Personally, I'd love to see a higher calibre of hockey in OKC (thank heavens for the Hockey Classics network) but the fight-tards in Oklahoma won't stand for it.

jbrown84
04-24-2008, 12:09 AM
I never did understand why fans of the Blazers wouldn't want an upgrade. Why not let Funk buy an AFL team, rebrand it the Blazers, and sell off the CHL team?

Kerry
04-24-2008, 05:40 AM
I am with you guys but I just telling you what happened to the best of my memory. Six of the 13 teams in the old IHL are now AHL teams. OKC would have been one of them.

Patrick
04-24-2008, 07:20 AM
I never did understand why fans of the Blazers wouldn't want an upgrade. Why not let Funk buy an AFL team, rebrand it the Blazers, and sell off the CHL team?

Their point was that with the CHL, most of the players are retained, and there's more of a following. With the AHL, it works more like the baseball farm clubs.....players are always leaving for the major leagues, and it's hard to develop a following among the players. No stability.

Laramie
04-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Blairman:

Posters who know me: know I don't come on any board half-cocked.

I can't remember my sources; however, I'll try to dig them up and get back with you.

Are you new at posting on the boards or should I already know you by another name?

Tulsa was mentioned as a possible home for the Penguins--when there was talk of them leaving Pittsburgh.

I use to be a fan of Funks, I now know he's not serious about bringing anything big to Oklahoma City and I know he's not willing to take the risk. In a way I don't blame him, he "worked hard for the money."

Had we taken the Blades from Kansas City (as Kerry mentioned), we would be in the AHL right now and probably averaging 12,000 a game.

I still believe that OKC could support both the NBA and the NHL or NFL.

Funk got everyone hyped up about the NHL when the Calgary Flames went on sale a decade ago, he wasn't a serious player then, and we got even more hyped about a possible MLS franchise for Edmond and he saved the RedHawks as his excuse for dropping the ball on getting the soccer franchise.

When the IHL disbanded, they took in Cincinnati, Houston and San Antonio and possibly one other city; SA is no match for Oklahoma City as a hockeytown and they've managed to survive in the AHL.

Tulsa is not going to be overshadowed by Oklahoma City who has gotten out the starting block way ahead of T-town. Now that the BOK Center will be opening in September, look for Tulsa to be mentioned as a serious contender for indoor soccer, AHL and MLS (if they can get a new stadium). The Talons are looking at the AFL Arena Football League and ditching their mediocre status with the af2.

The BOK Center will need to expand luxury suites and seating, at least 17,500 minimum seats and 60 to 75 luxury suites if they are serious about the NHL.

If Raleigh, North Carolina can do it, (Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro); Oklahoma City-Tulsa can support the NHL on the n.e. end of the Turner Turnpike.

Found one of my sources:

Read Oklahoma's Overture far left of column: Funk, Oklahoma City and Tulsa were mentioned:

Penguins players insist potential franchise move not a distraction - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins/2007-01-06-future_x.htm)

Nixon7
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Tulsa should stay away from the AHL or any other league and wait for the NHL. I think it would be really successful there. I know I'd go up and see some games. OKC with the NBA, Tulsa with the NHL, and then in a decade or two, who knows? Maybe the NFL comes calling.

Laramie
04-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Agree:

Tulsa should go after the NHL. It can't hurt to bring the AHL in and average 14,000 fans to show the potential support.

Nixon7:

Farm 6 - 10 games to Oklahoma City and Oklahoma could support both NBA and the NHL.

Maybe Bob Funk will be willing to go in with a group of Tulsans and vie for an NHL franchise, he's obviously not willing to pursue an operation of this magnitude alone.

metro
04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
maybe Del Rancho should sponsor Tulsa's hockey team. Yay metro area talk!

sgt. pepper
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Tulsa has a big time soccer base. i think they would have a better shot at attracting a MSL team then a NHL team. Tulsa barely avg. 4000 at thier hockey games, OKC avg. twice that much.http://www.laredobucks.com/statsizer.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pointstreak.com %2Fprostats%2Fattendance.html%3Fleagueid%3D12%26se asonid%3D2103Personaly, i would drive up there to see major soccer than major hockey, i know i am in the minority.

Dave Cook
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Blairman:
SA is no match for Oklahoma City as a hockeytown and they've managed to survive in the AHL.

[/url]

You guys need to be really careful when comparing OKC to the San Antonio AHL situation. I'm not sure I'd call that a success.

Visit a game down there sometime and you'll see a crowd that rivals a post-game broomball match between those dorks that join the booster clubs.

BDP
04-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Farm 6 - 10 games to Oklahoma City and Oklahoma could support both NBA and the NHL.

I hate this model as it means that anyone who wants to buy season tickets for all "home" games has to travel for those "farmed" out games. Just like if the Sonics played in Tulsa for a few games, I better not have to pay for them in my season ticket package. The best thing thing that comes out of it is that they have to leave off some games in the season ticket package. The worst thing would be that you have to buy those games and then some go unused in the other market. What a mess.

I still don't understand this concept that they have to play a set number of games in another market in order to be a success in the state. If Tulsa had an NHL team, I'd probably go up there for a few games whether they played here or not and it would suck to screw them out of a few season ticket games just to play in OKC.

If you can't make it in your own market with a full slate of home games, then you don't need a team. Both of these markets will definately draw from each other for any major league sporting events without scheduling regular season games in the other city. It's just not needed and the teams would be giving up a lot to do it.

mmonroe
04-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I could go for some hockey or soccer. I'm really just about supporting teams for the success.

Blairman
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Laramie

Things are extremly fluid when it comes to sports speculation. That was over a year ago, plus the Pens are set in Pittsburgh now.

Sorry I dont see your connections of Funk and Company asking about the Pittsburgh situation and the AHL in Tulsa. The only reason to even put a NHL team in Tulsa, is because the NBA will be in OKC. It will be many many years before any major league team other than a NBA team would be in OKlahoma.

While I agree Tulsa's best bet for something on par would be the MLS (sorry dont consider them to be on same level as NBA, NFL, NHL or MLB)

Plus you have to remember Brian Burke of the Anaheim Ducks was in town last year looking at OKC for a farm club.

As of now (April 2008) as hockey goes the CHL is best for OKC. CHL is putting players in the NHL, as a example the Flyers have Riley Cote. Wade Brookbank (former Blazer) is still in the NHL, there are others.

I get a good chuckle when people think OKC is too good for the CHL, I wonder what people in LA and NYC think of us being in the NBA ?? Yes we are one of the bigger cities in the CHL, so what does tha prove ??? There are several cities like ours that have a major league team, a "AAA" team (in another sport) if you will and a "AA" (in a third sport). Lets just support them all and be proud and not stick our noses up in the air like we are better than _______ (fill in the blank)

Laramie
04-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Blairman:

I agree with most of your post!

Do you think that there won't be other opportunities?

My link showed were Bob Funk was always on the scene as usual getting hockey enthusiast hyped up to no avail.!

"I get a good chuckle when people think OKC is too good for the CHL."--Blairman.

I don't think that Oklahoma City is too good for the CHL, I just believe that Oklahoma City deserves a better brand of hockey.

Laramie: "I get a good chuckle when players in the CHL can't pass, can't skate, can't shoot and sometimes miss from point blank range."

We are the most successful minor league operation in North American, playing in a major league facility; therefore, is it too much to ask that the caliber of play match the box office? That's all I'm saying--it has nothing to do with being too good for the CHL.

Keep the CHL in OKC is fine for now; I just long for the years when we had something that resembled true hockey and not a Frankenstein team assembled--it's not even close to being double-A caliber of play--on a positive note--it's inexpensive family entertainment.

You would have had to see the teams in the late 60's and early 70's to know what I talking about. The league didn't send one or two players to the NHL, when they expanded, I would estimate that 75% of the players on one team and those who played here during those years went to the NHL when they expanded from the original 6 to a second division comprising Los Angeles, Oakland, Minnesota, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (entered the league).

Laramie
04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I hate this model as it means that anyone who wants to buy season tickets for all "home" games has to travel for those "farmed" out games. Just like if the Sonics played in Tulsa for a few games, I better not have to pay for them in my season ticket package. The best thing thing that comes out of it is that they have to leave off some games in the season ticket package. The worst thing would be that you have to buy those games and then some go unused in the other market. What a mess.

I believe it has it pros and cons when you can market in a wide market area; I'm just not one for almost meaningless exhibition games.

metro
04-25-2008, 08:56 AM
IHL's coming to Tulsa, I must move there................. NOT

andy157
04-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I hope they don't get their Major League hockey team before we get our Major League basketball team.

mmonroe
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
again With The Bolding!

Laramie
04-26-2008, 01:26 AM
I hope they don't get their Major League hockey team before we get our Major League basketball team.

Amen to that!

Dave Cook
04-26-2008, 01:43 AM
You guys are honestly stupid enough to think the National Hockey League would ever for a second come to the state of Oklahoma?

No offense, guys, but lay off the grass.

Shhhh! If you listen really carefully.....you can hear the entire nation of Canada laughing hysterically.

Blazerfan11
04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Actually I think there is a clause in the NAFTA deal that says Canada has to give a franchise away to a dopey town every five years so actually I think those are sighs not giggles....

Dave Cook
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
LOL! So true.

The frostbacks deserve it for giving away the Nordiques. I'm sorry but pro hockey belongs in Quebec City or Winnipeg where it's a passion rather than an oddity in Oklahoma City, Portland or Houston.

Millie
04-26-2008, 03:14 PM
There was a lot of talk at the end of the season about the Blazers affiliating with Dallas. Sauter confirmed that he was going down to meet with them. Maybe something good will come of that.