View Full Version : Seattle’s lead attorney warming to Sonics settlement

JLCinOKC
04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Seattle's lead attorney warming to Sonics settlement | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/article/3233431/1208887442)

By Darnell Mayberry
Staff Writer

The lead attorney for the city of Seattle is now willing to negotiate a settlement with the Sonics ownership group if those talks include a promise of a replacement franchise by the NBA, according to a report in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Former U.S. Senator Slade Gorton, who NBA Commissioner David Stern last week accused of implementing a “scorched-earth policy” against the Sonics, told the newspaper that the city’s best chance at retaining the NBA is securing a replacement franchise for the Oklahoma-bound Sonics.

“While I’d still love to see the Sonics stay, I think that is highly unlikely,” Gorton said. “What we’re trying to accomplish now, in my view, is to get another team in their place.”

NBA owners by a 28-2 margin voted last week to approve the Sonics relocation to Oklahoma City. The Sonics and city of Seattle, however, are currently scheduled to go to trial June 16 in Seattle to settle a lease dispute.

“If a replacement team is part of the package, of course we’d talk,” Gorton told the newspaper. “My goal from the very beginning has been to have a team. Revenge, I’m not interested in as such. The city has a financial stake in all this. The mayor and I are in complete accord that what we want is a team.”

Gorton acknowledged that state leaders in Washington must come up with an arena solution before the NBA would guarantee a franchise to replace the departing Sonics. State leaders recently rejected approving the final $75 million toward a $300-million KeyArena renovation project shared by the city of Seattle and a group of private investors.

“I think the goal of the entire community, and certainly my goal, is to see, whether some time between now and then, there’s a way to come up with a situation in which the controversy over the Sonics is settled in some fashion that Seattle can look forward to another NBA franchise.

“I think it’s a possible goal. But I don’t think it’s likely to happen unless we have a tangible and complete plan for the remodeling of KeyArena. If we had that in hand last week, in my view, we’d either have kept the Sonics or gotten assurance of another team.”

Following last Friday’s vote by NBA owners to approve the team’s move, Stern didn’t rule out the possibility of a replacement franchise in Seattle.

“The Board (of Governors) is mindful that Seattle is a first-class city whose fans historically have been terrific fans and still are, but whose infrastructure has not been willing to participate in an arena,” he said. “I guess what I would say, without going further, is that we’re mindful that if Seattle had a first-class arena that would really be good for their prospects.”

While Gorton said Seattle officials “have not given (Stern) a plan with an arena adequate for the NBA in the 21st century,” a solution can be reached if one comes forth and the NBA commits to returning to Seattle.

“All the league has to do to lead to an amicable settlement is see to it that we’re assured of a new team,” Gorton said.

mmonroe
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
HAHA, someone got caught up in there own hog wash and is trying to paint a better picture.

kevinpate
04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
If i were a gloater, i'd pop over to tyhe Seattle forums to see how they quotes are going down, but then again, i have a life so nah, i think i'll have another soda instead