View Full Version : Heart Scans

Karried
04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm a little scared. I'm going to get a heart scan and an EKG with blood work in the morning... wish me luck.

I'm hoping the tingling in my left arm and intermittment minor chest pains are more of a nerve issue and not a heart issue. We shall see.

The good news I want to share is that Baptist/Integris offers this package for a total of $200. So, if anyone wants to check the calcium deposits in their arteries and get an EKG, this is the place to do so. Problem is their appts. are pretty far out so book now.

Jacob_Daddy
04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
There was a flyer going around work here about a Heart Scan during the month of March would be $50 in honor of March being "Heart Month." I know that both of my in-laws signed up, and their appointments were not until the end of May.

Karried
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Okay, back from my appointment.

I live!

Yayyy for me.... I have Zero blockage or calcium buildup in my arteries. I got good readings on my cholesterol levels and Blood pressure. My BMI is good and I'm in a good weight category, so overall, it was a good result and my risk is very low.

I thought this was a great deal. For $200 bucks, I had Blood work, a Heart Scan, an EKG and two hours with a heart health counselor.

Very good deal considering we just dropped close to $1000 for stress tests, table tests etc for hubby to find out he had a perfectly healthy heart.

For this price, I think everyone should call the Integris Heart Hospital (NW Exp) before problems occur. Nip it in the bud so to speak.

A heart scan is a great starting place.

Now, I just have to figure out why my extremities keep tingling and going numb... esp my Left Arm which is what got me to Integris in the first place.

I thought for sure I wasn't getting any circulation due to blockage .. lol - ahhhh, gotta love the internet.. after reading about symptoms for awhile, I was convinced I was in full cardiac arrest. sheesh.

Now, I just think I have Multiple Scerosis as that is one of the symptoms. Let's hope not.

Patrick
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Heart scans are a good initial test, but you really need a stress EKG or stress echo to find anything real meaningful.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Herniated disk! Fibromyalgia! OH NOES!

Glad to hear your ticker is working :)

betts
04-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Now, I just have to figure out why my extremities keep tingling and going numb... esp my Left Arm which is what got me to Integris in the first place.

Now, I just think I have Multiple Scerosis as that is one of the symptoms. Let's hope not.

Does your arm go numb below the elbow? Is it just your arm, or your legs too? There are computer related problems that can cause numbness of the arm, especially below the elbow. You can irritate your ulnar nerve from resting your arm while typing, and that commonly causes numbness and tingling.

Karried
04-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi betts, my arm had been going numb from the shoulder down, more like tingling. I did notice it in my legs a bit. But I did notice that it was happening after sitting (hunching over) in my computer chair for awhile. So, I'm working on my posture and if it continues, I'll go see a chiropractor.

I'm realizing that stress and worry might have a lot to do with it... the frequency has really diminished once I determined I wasn't going to have to have a heart transplant, lol.

ewoodard
04-25-2008, 12:11 PM
You could have a slightly pinched nerve in your neck or collar bone region and that is what is causing the tingling sensation in your arm. As far ar yor leg it may be the way your chair fits you in the hip area causing poor posture, resulting in leg starting to go to sleep.

NikonNurse
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Had the problem too....had a ruptured disc in my neck....(my neck never hurt...just my arm with numbness) all better after surgery...no issues since.

Karried
10-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Heartscan @ St. Anthony

$50

231-8866

Luke
10-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, check into stress...

ericbrowning
10-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Yes, you need to get a clear answer on what is causing the symptoms. I will remind you that an xray may not diagnose a pinched nerve since the xray picks up mainly on bony structures, and the nerves are considered soft tissue.

A physical therapist, IMO, is the best diagnostician when it comes to figuring out the source of musculoskeletal issues. I would caution you about getting your neck popped if the symptoms are stemming from a nerve issue at the neck (especially if you also have leg symptoms). Though surgery can help, invasive procedures like surgery should always be used as a last resort.

You can check out my website to learn more about what physical therapists do for issues like this.

Eric
Keith Physical Therapy (http://www.keithpt.com)

kevinpate
10-13-2008, 05:43 AM
> we just dropped close to $1000 for stress tests, table tests etc for hubby to find
> out he had a perfectly healthy heart.

I did that several years back when I was being a defective Weeble. A not insignificant piece of change to be told in essence ok you may be a defective weeble but by golly, whatever it is, it ain't the plumbing.

Karried
10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Were you wobbling and falling down? What was it?

kevinpate
10-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Yep, it was annoying as all get out until it finally passed after a spell. Never nailed it for certain, but the best guess was a weird interaction between some OTC meds I took at the time. I shut off everything down over a period of time, except the daily acid blocker and over a few months I became a regular weeble again.

These days I don't take anything on a regular basis. I kinda like the standing up and staying up game after I got good at it again. :)

metro
10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Karried, while not probable have you been checked for neuropathy? Or if you are Diabetic, Diabetic Neuropathy? It typically occurs in the arms and lower extremities, but it's not out of the range of possibility. Sounds more like it's stemming from your nervous system.