View Full Version : Team Name Concepts pt II

Pages : [1] 2

cedbled
04-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Okay, here goes:
Keep in mind, I'm not a artist, and this is only a couple hours work.
Also, please feel free to:
add
subtract
criticize
praise
expound

In any way you feel.
i'll be back later with some more ideas also, this is just the rough draft

Jersey Idea 1 (with the branding iron:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn318/cedbled/final1.jpg

Jersey 2 with the western font:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn318/cedbled/final2.jpg

Here was the image that made me think about putting an okc logo in a basketball image:

Original:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn318/cedbled/example1.jpg

I outlined what I saw as a potential idea in RED below:
Of Course, if you need the "O" part outlined, then we need to talk. lol

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn318/cedbled/example2.jpg

Again. the ball idea, maybe someone could take that and run with it.

Just throwing it out there.

solitude
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I think I may have mentioned this before, but I highly doubt the "Outlaws" would pass the David Stern test for an NBA team. His legacy will be the new image of NBA players. (Dress code, television appearance rules, etc.) Plus, one bad action off the court on the part of a player and you'd get the "Outlaw" jokes. I say the NBA would say NO WAY to the "Outlaws". Nice work though.

My personal favorite is still the Oklahoma City Thunder.

mmonroe
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
How about something completely un-Oklahoma related.

Intrepid
04-22-2008, 06:10 AM
How about something completely un-Oklahoma related.

How 'bout the OKLAHOMA GENERICS

That's about as plain as I could come with.

:tiphat:

Intrepid
04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
For what it's worth, and that's not a lot, I still like the Thunder or possibly even Aviators.

Just please nothing to do with cowboys/indians, old west, oil, tornadoes, etc.

I'm all for respecting Oklahoma's heritage, but let's have a modern-type name.

kevinpate
04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Oklahoma TFKASS, oh, er excuse me,

make that Okahoma City TFKASS
:)

cedbled
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I think I may have mentioned this before, but I highly doubt the "Outlaws" would pass the David Stern test for an NBA team. His legacy will be the new image of NBA players. (Dress code, television appearance rules, etc.) Plus, one bad action off the court on the part of a player and you'd get the "Outlaw" jokes. I say the NBA would say NO WAY to the "Outlaws". Nice work though.

Sol, can I call you that?
Okay then, Sol it shall be...

Sol, actually you have mentioned that before, and I appreciate your feedback on my idea.
Now it's time to see if there are any other people out there that agree with me that OUTLAWS is still a valid name idea....

The name THUNDER as a team name? Just sounds like plain ol' Engrish to me.
I know I'm not the only one that hates that name.

Martin
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
gotta say that i don't like the name 'outlaws' either... pretty much for the reasons already specified. not that i'm sold on 'thunder' either, but how exactly is that engrish?

-M

MikeLucky
04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Sol, can I call you that?
Okay then, Sol it shall be...

Sol, actually you have mentioned that before, and I appreciate your feedback on my idea.
Now it's time to see if there are any other people out there that agree with me that OUTLAWS is still a valid name idea....

The name THUNDER as a team name? Just sounds like plain ol' Engrish to me.
I know I'm not the only one that hates that name.

Personally I LOVE the name Thunder.... would HATE the Outlaws......

cedbled
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
absolutely NO weather references.....that's just stupid
sounds like WNBA to me

darnell
04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/12683-calling-team-oklahoma-city-2.html

i love Oklahoma Tribe & so far don't like anything else. i'm as confident in 'tribe' name as george costanza was of 'jerk-store.' nicknames would be the tribe, the tribe of oklahoma. btw, "tribe n. A unit of sociopolitical organization consisting of a number of families, clans, or other groups who share a common ancestry and culture."

this would incorporate all oklahoma citizens, not just native americans of oklahoma. we could have tribal dances from groups all around the world to entertain during some of the halftime shows. the first thing people say is this is not pc, but i'd defy any argument with a counter of what the word "tribe" means. it's a definition of a group of people just like 'gang' or 'clan' is except it hasn't been exploited into something distasteful so it's the perfect name for us & the history of our state.

i have a long explanation on the link above. don't read it unless you have plenty of time.

OKCMallen
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
"Rushers", short for Landrushers.

Intrepid
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/12683-calling-team-oklahoma-city-2.html

i love Oklahoma Tribe & so far don't like anything else. i'm as confident in 'tribe' name as george costanza was of 'jerk-store.' nicknames would be the tribe, the tribe of oklahoma. btw, "tribe n. A unit of sociopolitical organization consisting of a number of families, clans, or other groups who share a common ancestry and culture."

this would incorporate all oklahoma citizens, not just native americans of oklahoma. we could have tribal dances from groups all around the world to entertain during some of the halftime shows. the first thing people say is this is not pc, but i'd defy any argument with a counter of what the word "tribe" means. it's a definition of a group of people just like 'gang' or 'clan' is except it hasn't been exploited into something distasteful so it's the perfect name for us & the history of our state.

i have a long explanation on the link above. don't read it unless you have plenty of time.

I heard "Tribe" on the Sports Animal today, and I'm not 100% opposed to it.

solitude
04-22-2008, 03:04 PM
absolutely NO weather references.....that's just stupid
sounds like WNBA to me

Why criticize other opinions as '"stupid?" We could play tit for tat all day with that.
I could say "Outlaws" sounds like a little league baseball team - but I won't. :)

mmonroe
04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
"Rushers", short for Landrushers.

AHH HAA, now this is something I could follow. "The Oklahoma City Rushers"

...of course, there could be puns and jokes.. but eh.

jbrown84
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Aviators & Barons I like. Thunder is okay.

Thumbs down to Outlaws and Tribe for reasons already stated.

solitude
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Aviators & Barons I like. Thunder is okay.

Thumbs down to Outlaws and Tribe for reasons already stated.

Aviators. Hmmm. Not bad.

On good nights the announcers would say they're "flying high" and on bad nights they'd say they were "grounded." Actually, I kind of like that, Jbrown. In fact, I'm going to add that to my list of favorites, which up until now has only had one name: Thunder.

Aviators......I can really see potential with that.

chuckdiesel
04-22-2008, 11:49 PM

I don't see the PC problem with Outlaws. It has nothing to do with gangs or violence. It is a reference to the old west, just like mavericks or spurs. The NFL has vikings and raiders, are those offensive? no. Do they reference groups that have had violent pasts? yes. Are the Warriors offensive? Surely that is worse than Outlaws. I understood when the Bullets were forced to rename but that was just blatant.
On a different note I think the brand Outlaws would sell alot more jerseys and other apparel nationally than say the Barons or something that some Oklahomans may like but nobody else would really get into. JMHO.

chuckdiesel
04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Aviators is a good one too though.

solitude
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't see the PC problem with Outlaws. It has nothing to do with gangs or violence. It is a reference to the old west, just like mavericks or spurs. The NFL has vikings and raiders, are those offensive? no. Do they reference groups that have had violent pasts? yes.
On a different note I think the brand Outlaws would sell alot more jerseys and other apparel nationally than say the Barons or something that some Oklahomans may like but nobody else would really get into. JMHO.

Chuck, There's a world of difference between Mavericks, Spurs, Vikings, Raiders and OUTLAWS. Nobody has ever said the NBA is "full of Vikings and Raiders," but plenty have said, "The NBA is loaded with outlaws and thugs." It's the environment today, the image change with David Stern, and the fact that a lot of NBA players have been - or have been accused of being - outlaws. It's really not a "PC" thing as much as it is common sense with how they are trying to change the image of the league.

OKCCrime
04-23-2008, 12:40 AM
I haven't been following the numerous threads on team naming, so if this has been suggested before...

Oklahoma City Lips. :)

Home Jersy:
http://homegrownmusic.net/images2/tflips.jpg

Away Jersy:
http://images.cafepress.com/product/61031190v2_240x240_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg
or if needed after the contracts are said and done:
http://images.cafepress.com/product/49017983v1_240x240_Front.jpg

Think about it, cheerleaders would dress in Santa outfits,
http://i6.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/79/ag/030f_2.JPG

Sponsorship from Vaseline
http://www.unilever.com.au/Images/Vaseline%20logo%20big_tcm72-18938.jpg

Wayne Coyne in a bubble for halftime shows
http://images.google.com/url?q=http://static.nme.com/images/84_FlamingLips_L260606.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHEeWcMRIL9tdxyYl_mYX18aq5PRg

maybe even the rolling stones
http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/rolling_stones_tongue-790150.jpg

Sorry, I know..... this is a serious discussion.... I'm going away now.

mmonroe
04-23-2008, 01:11 AM
@crime, it never hurts to put a little fun in to something.

But just as a starting point, here are the current list of 30 NBA Teams:

76ers, Blazers, Bobcats, Bucks, Bulls, Cavs, Celtics, Clippers, Grizzlies, Hawks, Heat, Hornets, Jazz, Kings, Knicks, Lakers, Magic, Mavs, Nets, Nuggets, Pacers, Pistons, Raptors, Rockets, Sonics, Spurs, Suns, Timberwolves, Wizards, Warriors.

Think of some of these names that have been actually picked.. then develop your own. I like Rush as a name. A lot of the names envolve animals, types of people, car parts, aviation, and weather.

metro
04-23-2008, 07:56 AM

I agree with the Outlaw part, it will not fly in the new NBA. Stern and the BoG won't allow it. I don't like the Thunder though.

SouthsideSooner
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
After all the B.S. about OKC "stealing" Seattle's team, I think the name Outlaws would just perpetuate that and I really don't care for the name anyway.

Tribe doesn't do it for me either.

My first choice is still Thunderbirds, with Thunder second.

metro
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Does anybody remember the team names we were discussing with a euro-style name? I've done a search but can't seem to find it.

I also like:

OKC Energy
OKC 89ers
OKC Storm (won't happen)

Nixon7
04-23-2008, 09:41 AM
metro -

OKC United!

OKCMallen
04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
With all the suits: The Oklahoma City Defendants.

cedbled
04-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I also like Barons, if not Outlaws....someone come up with another original mock-up of a Barons jersey.

Chuck, I feel the same way you do on the issue, Outlaws is still an option for me, and I agree that it would sell a LOT more merch than Thunder

Also, please understand that although I really like the 89ers, and believe it most appropriate, it was actually Clay Bennett that championed the name change for our baseball team to the RedHawks.

He personally did not like that name...
Wait, as I typed this I had a thought:
Maybe he was so adamant about taking that name from our baseball team, specifically so he could use it for an NBA team, when he got one?

Hmmm...........

TaurusNYC
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Since Okla used to be Indian Territory......why not the Oklahoma City Indians?

OKCMallen
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
89ers would be great, but there's the 76ers already....

cedbled
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
On further thought, don't be surprised if there's no "Name the Team" contests, etc., and Clay chooses to name them (the 89ers) himself......

MikeLucky
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I also like Barons, if not Outlaws....someone come up with another original mock-up of a Barons jersey.

Chuck, I feel the same way you do on the issue, Outlaws is still an option for me, and I agree that it would sell a LOT more merch than Thunder

Also, please understand that although I really like the 89ers, and believe it most appropriate, it was actually Clay Bennett that championed the name change for our baseball team to the RedHawks.

He personally did not like that name...
Wait, as I typed this I had a thought:
Maybe he was so adamant about taking that name from our baseball team, specifically so he could use it for an NBA team, when he got one?

Hmmm...........

The Redhawks and their color scheme were designed by Bennett and his group when they were trying to secure an NHL franchise for OKC. When the attempt fell through he gave the name and colors to the 89ers so they became the Redhawks.

So I doubt he would now take it back.....

metro
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
89ers would be great, but there's the 76ers already....

exactly, they don't interfere with each other, and both years have history significant to their respective city.

metro
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
On further thought, don't be surprised if there's no "Name the Team" contests, etc., and Clay chooses to name them (the 89ers) himself......

While I think you're right about no name the team contests (Clay has publically already said that), I don't think he'll choose the 89ers (although I really like that name, it's historic and not hickish). A week or two ago, he just said no names have really caught his attention or wowed him yet.

cedbled
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
well spoken, metro, even though we don't agree on the Outlaws.... :)
Plus, I'm starting to believe that Clay and Co. prolly have the name already sewed up

cedbled
04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Either way, 89ers is still in play...
Think about it:
If Clay DID already have a name picked out, now is the absolutely WRONG time for him to drag it out, given the circumstances by which the team is coming here.

I would've given the same response he did.

But, he didn't get this far without paying attention to detail, and he was very active in changing the name from 89ers to Redhawks when that happened, so I believe that he's already got a name, and that that name might be the 89ers.

OKCMallen
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet any of you $50 it will not be the 89ers.

cedbled
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I'd be willing to bet any of you $50 it will not be the 89ers.

And what would you be willing to bet $50 the team name WILL be?

mmonroe
04-23-2008, 02:00 PM
metro -

OKC United!

Sounds like a soccer team.

Intrepid
04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a soccer team.

It is a soccer team.

The D.C. United of the MLS.

mmonroe
04-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I remember a movie that involved "Manchester United" I think it was eurotrip or something.

sgt. pepper
04-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Oklahoma Ciyt Zephyrs

Intrepid
04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Oklahoma Ciyt Zephyrs

Name of the New Orleans Zephyrs of the Pacific Coast League, same league the Redhawks are in.

dalelakin
04-23-2008, 07:17 PM
OKC Sprawlers?

:sofa:
JK

I think the name should remain the same. Why give the city of Seattle anything at this point. Most teams in past moves have taken the name and all outside of a few in recent past. The name doesn't have to change to make the team OKC's just them playing 40 some games in the Ford Center will make it ours.

mmonroe
04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the name should remain the same. Why give the city of Seattle anything at this point. Most teams in past moves have taken the name and all outside of a few in recent past. The name doesn't have to change to make the team OKC's just them playing 40 some games in the Ford Center will make it ours.

I disagree, the hornets played a lot of games here, but it didn't make them ours.

OKCMallen
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
And what would you be willing to bet $50 the team name WILL be?

That's a much more difficult question...maybe I'd bet a nickel on what it WILL be.:tiphat:

sgt. pepper
04-24-2008, 08:19 AM
"Name the Team" contests, etc.,
I hope not, it will be named the Scissor-tailed Flycathers

metro
04-24-2008, 08:53 AM
haha, sadly if it were up to Brad Henry or his "appointed committee" it would be the OKC Scissortail Flycatchers or the OKC Pilgrims or OKC Oil Derrecks. Thanks a lot Brad for the quarters and stamp!

mmonroe
04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Just another images of us looking like backward country folk. One would almost think we were almost amish if not for the horses we ride to work everyday or the teepees we live in.

Mr. T in OKC
04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I like the Oklahoma City Flight

andy157
04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I disagree, the hornets played a lot of games here, but it didn't make them ours.Thats very true. There is a big difference though. The Hornets never were ours. They never did belong to OKC. The Sonics do. I think.

andy157
04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
haha, sadly if it were up to Brad Henry or his "appointed committee" it would be the OKC Scissortail Flycatchers or the OKC Pilgrims or OKC Oil Derrecks. Thanks a lot Brad for the quarters and stamp!Where's the gratitude? If it were not for Gov. Henry the Sonics would not be receiving their tax rebate.

mmonroe
04-25-2008, 03:52 AM
..if they receive their tax rebate... if they even make it here or not. Check out the recent emails...

andy157
04-25-2008, 06:46 AM
..if they receive their tax rebate... if they even make it here or not. Check out the recent emails...Thats very true.... I'm starting to wonder..... I saw those. Not looking good for Bennett and Co.... What do you think.

metro
04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Andy, I agree, the Hornets were never ours, never promised to us, and we knew the terms of having them temporarily. It makes me gag when people act as if they were/are our team and we're entitled to them. Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Hornets fan, wore the gear and went to the games, and wouldn't have cared if they did stay (yes small attempts were made). But I honestly knew they weren't our team, and we were told that and knew that Day 1.

mmonroe
04-25-2008, 01:32 PM
There was a little rumor going around about the hornets possibly moving from NO... anyone else hear anything?

Lurker34
04-30-2008, 07:38 AM
I heard something on the news today about naming the team Oklahoma City Jets.

cedbled
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
can you post a link, Lurker34?

FFLady
04-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Did you guys see in Monday's Sports section the bracket of "mascot" names to be considered? There was an "Okie Dokies", a "Hillbillies", and "Scissortails".....Not sure how those names made it in the top 50, but those 3 in particular SCARE me...I just hope that bracket is not the real deal......

Midtowner
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
"The OKC Gas"