View Full Version : Winchester Drive In, S. Western Ave.

kevinpate
04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
If memory serves, this is the only DI left in the OKC metro. I believe it reopens either the coming weeekend or the one after that.

Are there others nearby? There were, maybe still are drive ins at Chickasha and Weatherford, but I'm not recalling anything else closer than that.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't go to Winchester. Just don't.

You can't see the screen, the sound sucks, and the parking lot will be full of those yucky southsiders that can't keep their lights, horns, music, or kids to themselves.

kevinpate
04-20-2008, 06:06 PM
If the assessment is accurate, it's fallen some in recent years. Pity that.

mmonroe
04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
I went this past year to see the last of the Bourne series and two other movies. We went with a group of friends, screen was fine, [we were on the back right side], audio, you can tune into their broadcast through your car stereo, works and sounds fine, and being in the back we didn't have that much of a problem with people. I liked it, look forward to going back.

kevinpate
04-20-2008, 07:18 PM
That sounds more like my last experience, which was a few years further back
(ala Rock, Scorpions, desert, etc.)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
The last time I went was around 2-3 years ago and I've not been back. Maybe they've gotten better.

OKCisOK4me
04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
is the one in Guthrie still up and running?

John
04-20-2008, 09:44 PM
is the one in Guthrie still up and running?

Yep, the Beacon is still going strong.

Beacon Drive-In Theatre .:. Home (http://www.beacondrive-in.com/)

soonerfever
04-20-2008, 10:40 PM
According to this website Drive-ins.com - Drive-In Theater Search (http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?status_op=&zipcode=73072&search.x=11&search.y=11) Chickasha Guthrie and OKC are the only ones still open in this part of the state. They list one in Tulsa that is still open.

Edit: OKC, Tulsa, Guthrie, Chickasha, and Poteau are all the open ones they list in Oklahoma.

Ginkasa
04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I haven't gone in 10 years or so, but I have to say you most definitely can hear the audio. There was a time where I found their station on accident and would just drive around and listen to a movie.

It was pretty cool.

kevinpate
04-21-2008, 04:34 AM
I didn't understand the audio comment earlier in this thread either. In the times I've been, pumping the signalthrough my car system made for decent audio to me. never tried to use their speakers, didn't realize they even had speakers

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-21-2008, 06:34 AM
My audio comment?

Well, when I went, the signal was about as weak as it could be, lots of static and no dynamic range.

But the range may have something to do with the amateur audiophile in me that spends WAAAAY too much money on A/V systems at home and in my trucks. :D

But the signal still sucked.

sgt. pepper
04-21-2008, 06:46 AM
yucky southsiders
You can't talk about southsiders like that! Hate speech! Some fortune 500 co. may not locate to OKC because of that comment.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-21-2008, 07:21 AM
You can't talk about southsiders like that! Hate speech! Some fortune 500 co. may not locate to OKC because of that comment.

Good.

That'll keep the cost of living low.

:dance:

MikeLucky
04-21-2008, 10:12 AM

You can't see the screen, the sound sucks, and the parking lot will be full of those yucky southsiders that can't keep their lights, horns, music, or kids to themselves.

And therein lies the charm of the drive-in theater.

If you want brilliant digital projection and THX sound, stick with the Warren.....

The drive-in provides the charm and nostalgia of watching a movie with your sweetheart in your car when you both are kind of thinking in the back of your mind that maybe, just maybe you should be making out instead of eating popcorn.....

or the feeling of being at a campsite with your kids and the whole family is cuddled up in the back of the truck or SUV with plenty of blankets and pillows......

I have fond memories of going to the drive-in with my family when I was a kid and I almost never remember what movies we watched. It was more about the feeling of being with my family in our car and just the security of the whole experience.....

SoonerDave
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Bigoted much?

I like to think this north side/southside crapola had finally run its course, but I can see it hasn't.

As far as Winchester goes, I remember when it was *built*, and the huge cowboy sign went up one section at a time over a period of a few days. The first time the neon went on and the cowboy's hand started waving, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. We went there several times when I was younger. These days, it isn't the drive-in per se' that keeps us away, its the lack of decent family movies....but that's another topic.

I'll crawl back into my double-wide southside outhouse, grab another dip of RedMan, and hush...wouldn't want to offend any of those wunnerful northerners..

mmonroe
04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
HAHAHAHA! I thought southsiders dipped Skoal... i must be mistaken.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Bigoted much?

I like to think this north side/southside crapola had finally run its course, but I can see it hasn't.

As far as Winchester goes, I remember when it was *built*, and the huge cowboy sign went up one section at a time over a period of a few days. The first time the neon went on and the cowboy's hand started waving, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. We went there several times when I was younger. These days, it isn't the drive-in per se' that keeps us away, its the lack of decent family movies....but that's another topic.

I'll crawl back into my double-wide southside outhouse, grab another dip of RedMan, and hush...wouldn't want to offend any of those wunnerful northerners..

I grew up in Moore and I reside on the south side of OKC now...So relax a bit and do some adjusting on your sarcasm meter.

:sofa: