View Full Version : What companies do you personally boycott?

OKCCrime
04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
One another thread, we started discussing boycotts and it came out that many people have their own personal boycotts in place for x, y, or z reason. So, what company (retail, restaurant, contractor, etc) are you boycotting and why?

I'll start:

Dollar Rent A Car - Felt trapped without options at an off-airport Dollar rental service in San Diego around 12 midnight when they were requiring all renters to provide fingerprints to rent a car. No amount of complaining would get them to relent. Never will use them again.

Java Daves - Got fed up with repeated poor customer service and low quality of the food. Thank god for all the newly opened coffee shops in the city.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
The Post Office.

FritterGirl
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Java Daves - Got fed up with repeated poor customer service and low quality of the food. Thank god for all the newly opened coffee shops in the city.

I, too, don't like Java Dave's. Can't stand their coffee, and as you noted, their service isn't good, either. I can't say that I "boycott" them, though, just choose not to give them my business.

As for an actual boycott, I would definitely say that I "boycott" Wal-Mart as I don't agree with many of their corporate policies.

To that end, I guess you could say that I "boycott" any local furrier because I don't believe in wearing fur. In this instance, I really just think of it more that I am simply not in the market to purchase a fur, and therein don't patronize establishments who sell them.

I guess you would have to define what "boycott" means to each individual. In my book, a boycott is refusal to patronize a place because you do not believe in a company's philosophy or ethics, which can include its - or its CEOs - politics, and attitudes towards its employees. I suppose poor customer service could fall into that, in addition to poor quality of product, but I personally don't really consider it a "boycott" so much as I just don't choose to go to a place where the service sucks.

If you include the latter definition, then I must say that I boycott Olive Garden simply because I don't believe in pre-packaged, frozen sauces and pre-packaged, frozen vegetables, and pre-packaged frozen desserts when I go eat in a restaurant. I worked in an Olive Garden one summer during college, and will never step foot in there again. I also, then, "boycott" Red Lobster since they're owned by the same group that owns Olive Garden.

I would also have to say that I have a blanket boycott on American-made cars, because generally speaking, my experience has shown that they are of lower quality than car brands made in some other coutries. (Every Am-made care I've ever had has bunked out right at 60,000 miles when the warranty expired).

But, really, is that a boycott or simply a personal preference? I guess it all depends upon what one's idea of a boycott really is.

kmf563
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Dillards - They treat their employees like crap and their products are cheaply made and way overpriced.

Walmart - Their corporate policies and under the table operations make me ill. Not to mention their stores are always dirty and unorganized.

OU Medical Center - I would rather burn alive outside their doors than be treated by them. The worst experience of my life in that ER.

Shell - Their gas is always overpriced and their additives make my car run funky.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah...And anything Sony.

MadMonk
04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I guess I don't really have any standing boycotts or grudges against any company or business (at least for now). Whenever I need a product or service I like to keep all my options open, do whatever research I can and spend my money where I think I get the best value or the best product, etc.

solitude
04-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm with Frittergirl as to whether these personal preferences are really "boycotts" in the strict sense of the term. I would say not.

I agree with KMF about the OU Medical Center. The ER is unorganized and staffed by too many interns that haven't a clue as to what's going on. I understand they have to learn somewhere - in a real world setting - but the oversight is sorely lacking. I also agree with her about Wal-Mart; that may, in fact, be a boycott on my part.

There aren't too many places that I just refuse to go to because of poor service or wouldn't recommend because many times it's just a one-time deal. BUT, if you need a dentist - I would highly recommend you stay away from the practice of Dr. Corbyn Rhodes. For a lot of reasons.

Office Depot is another one I won't go to anymore. They used to be the office "superstore" but they actually now carry a very small stock of true office supplies and never have what I need. I learned to just go to Staples first.

Karried
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I try to stay away from Walmart.

And I won't use Enterprise rental again after we arrived at the airport and they were closed! (Yes, our plane was delayed but I did have a reservation). Had to spend another $100 on a car from another company because 'that is all they had left' - of course!

jbrown84
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Tyson Foods

Court Order on Ark. Chicken Waste Sought: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080220/farm_scene.html?.v=2)
The Truth About Poultry Pollution (http://www.illinoisriver.org/128463.aspx)

Also try to boycott Walmart, but that is very difficult in this city.

bornhere
04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in years. That's easy for me, because Target is closer. But I also avoid the Wal-Mart grocery even though it's much closer than any competitor.

I'll buy at Home Depot if Lowe's (or Westlake) doesn't have what I want, but Lowe's is my first choice because of HD's owners' involvement in far-right politics.

I haven't subscribed to the Oklahoman in decades.

I wouldn't have bought a car at Lynn Hickey Dodge if they were selling them for $50.

OKCCrime
04-18-2008, 04:00 PM
But, really, is that a boycott or simply a personal preference? I guess it all depends upon what one's idea of a boycott really is.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott):
"A boycott is the act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with someone or some other organization as an expression of protest."

YES
You will eat anywhere else but at McDonalds because you abhor how McDonalds uses clowns in their advertisements to target small children.

NO
You rarely eat at McDonalds on road trips because you really like Whoppers and fried chicken (not at the same time though).

BUT ALSO YES
You never eat at Burger King because you can't be sure to get exact what you ordered at the drive through.

(I just got done doing taxes and I am still eating, sleeping and dreaming these types of examples - damn IRS)

Anyway, to quality as a boycott you must necessarily avoid interactions with the company. It doesn't really matter the reason why - ethical concerns, poor quality, a silly CEO who file lawsuits when Clay clearly said "black jack no take back"

jbrown84
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll buy at Home Depot if Lowe's (or Westlake) doesn't have what I want, but Lowe's is my first choice because of HD's owners' involvement in far-right politics.

Doesn't Walmart have a big stake in Lowes?

PennyQuilts
04-18-2008, 06:01 PM
It is not exactly a boycott but I got so mad at Staples that I withdrew my business account and told them I would never buy from them, again.

So, now I only go in wearing sunglasses and pay cash. And I only go in when I really, REALLY need an ink cartridge, right now...

And I never go to the store whose manager was a complete nazi.

bornhere
04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I had not heard anything about a Lowe's/WalMart connection. I just Googled it and got a lot of hits, didn't come up with much that was substantive one way or the other.

dismayed
04-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a boycott but I stay away from Homeland. Mostly because I can't stand the people they hire. It's amazing the difference in attitude that occurred at my local Albertson's when it switched over to Homeland. That and I can't stand the fact that they stock their items about 2 deep and are constantly out of stock of whatever it is I am looking for.

OKCMallen
04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
McD's at 23rd and 235- worst place evar.

MSNBC- I avoid their channel and website. won't even click on a link if I know it's going there.

BailJumper
04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
1. Citgo - Venezuela connection.
2. The flower shop in downtown OKC just above the foodcourt - royally screwed up an order and then made it worse when they tried to correct it.
3. Petsmart - Because they sell warehouse produced birds and rabbits (heard bird sells stopped in 2008 and rabbits are only in some locations).

The wife boycotts Sears because of a royal screw-up on a bed purchase (I secretly shop there but don't mention it to her!).

Seems like a lot of people boycott Walmart - Personally I love them and Sam's both!

kevinpate
04-20-2008, 04:42 PM
odd that. The 235 and 23rd McD's is one of a scant few that doesn't regularly foul up my order. Another place is in south part of okc. It's become much better after I explained, through somewhat clinched teeth, how poor customer service was not acceptable and ought not be repeated again.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
The McDonald's at 240 and Sooner is the worst on the planet. It's a scientific fact.

I've waited over 10 minutes for a cold double cheeseburger and unsalted cold fries when I was the only person in line.

donbroncho
04-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Im gonna have to say wendys because the last time i ate there i threw up an entire combo meal...i never want to see that again...

And any car dealership for maintenance. They all overprice way too much. To get my transmission flushed they want $184! I just went to a shop and its eighty bucks cheaper.

The transmission shop I went to was Cottman on North Rockwell. Nicest guys working there and they were some of the most honest people in their industry. Highly recommend

warreng88
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
I am suprised no one has used this one:

Starbucks.

Ginkasa
04-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm surprised how many people are listing only one mistake before they started boycotting someplace.

I mean, geez, leave some room for human error. Most of my bad business experiences have been at some IHOP or another, but I still go there sometimes...

OKCCrime
04-22-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm surprised how many people are listing only one mistake before they started boycotting someplace.

I usually try and give a place a second and third chance, but that depends on the severity of the offense. I gave Java Daves more opportunities than I should have because I figured the service would eventually get better. My experience with Dollar rent a car was so outrageous, it was the first and last time I'll ever rent from them. Anyway, with so much competition and low switching costs in the Coffee and Rental car markets, these companies should know that first impressions count heavily.

MikeLucky
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I will NEVER go back to the KFC on 29th St. just west of Sooner. The last time I was there I ordered the strips and I wanted a side of the their Sweet and Spicy sauce for dipping. I hate having the strips slathered in the sauce and I always order it on the side and never have any problem getting it my way.

Well, not at this location. When I asked for it I was told that I couldn't get any of the sauce on the side. I asked if they didn't have a small cup or container to put it in and she replied that they did in fact have a cup but that they would not give me the sauce on the side. She did offer to have the strips dipped in the sauce but due to "policy" they would not give me the sauce on the side. So I wanted to clarify: "you have the sauce, and will dip the chicken in the sauce, but under NO circumstance will you give me the sauce on the side, even though I get it like that at every other KFC I have ever visited?"

"Yes," she said. "I will not give you the sauce on the side." So I was left to speculate on why she wouldn't give me the sauce. My final conclusion was that since they were probably too lazy to prepare the "dipped" strips the proper way (add strips and sauce in a bucket and shake) they most likely just dipped all the strips into the sauce making it a nasty mess of a stew and most likely a less than stellar health practice......

So that was most definitely my last visit there, and I will tell anyone I can about it and to not visit that location..... That's my boycott.....

t3h_wookiee
04-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I've boycotted Nestle for many years, which has been difficult, as many of my favorite brands are now owned by them. It makes grocery shopping slightly difficult, but I refuse to back down.

Also, Dub Richardson Toyota. I live within walking distance, yet I drive all the way out to Bob Howard Toyota instead. 3 times now I've been treated like I couldn't possibly know anything about cars, and was even called "little lady" once. They permanently lost my business, and while they had the car I wanted to buy on lot (a Gen 7 Celica), I walked away, and managed to find one in Tulsa instead.

OKCCrime
04-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I've boycotted Nestle for many years, which has been difficult, as many of my favorite brands are now owned by them. It makes grocery shopping slightly difficult, but I refuse to back down.

Yeah I bet because there are like 100 brand name products (http://www.nestleusa.com/PubOurBrands/Brands.aspx) produced by Nestle. I'm curious, why the boycott? Is it because of the Nestle Boycott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott) --- from wikipedia -- "It was prompted by concern about the company's marketing of breast milk substitutes (infant formula), particularly in less economically developed countries (LEDCs), which campaigners claim contributes to the unnecessary death and suffering of babies, largely among the poor."?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/Nestleboycott.jpg/180px-Nestleboycott.jpg

sgt. pepper
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
There was an effort about a year ago by hispanic businesses to close for one day to show us the value and importance of immigrant labor in this country, and imo supporting illegal immigration. I was so upset, and still upset that out of all places, these stupid people (not all hispanics please, just the ones who supported this) thought that we, America, a nation built on immigration, needed a lesson on how important immigrant labor is. There are three mexican restaurants that i am of aware of, that was involed in this in the metro area, that i will never set foot in again. One of them was my fav and was hard to give up. I love mexico and there culture. Been to Mexico once and would love to go back. Love the food, the best! I have a big problem with illegal immigration and will never support business that support it.

Lauri101
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Crest Foods - the owner(s) treated their employees like crap and they were (are?) racists.

In my experience, they would hire African-American employees for long enough to meet their "stats", then terminate for no reason. Since the business remains in the family, I can only assume the attitudes are the same and I have never talked to an employee, current or former, that disputed my poor treatment claim.

Logans Roadhouse - two bad experiences at two different locations - poor/no service, hostesses standing around talking and not acknowledging a customer.

Any Bob Howard Dealership - I was treated with total disrespect and actually asked if I needed to get my boyfriend or husband's approval first! I took my $25K to Eskridge, where I've since bought four cars!

Lastly - any business that invokes or uses the name of God, Christ, or any religious deity as part of their advertising to sell or their signage to promote themselves as "better". If you need to use religion to sell, then obviously something is wrong with your product.

I recall one place (in Del City on Sunnylane, I think) who called themselves the "Jesus is Lord Something". I called them to ask why they named their store after Jesus and the owner called me some choice, decidedly non-christian names.

jbrown84
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
The deal with Nestle is that they were going into 3rd World countries (in South America I think) and giving away samples of their formula--just enough to get the babies addicted where they would no longer drink the mom's milk, thereby forcing the mothers to purchase more formula or the babies would die.

bretthexum
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Any Bob Howard Dealership - I was treated with total disrespect and actually asked if I needed to get my boyfriend or husband's approval first! I took my $25K to Eskridge, where I've since bought four cars!

WOW... I couldn't agree more. It's a tossup between Bob Howard and Mathis Brothers for my least favorite metro biz.

OKCisOK4me
04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I've boycotted McDonald's (as I haven't eaten there since September of '07 - a personal best considering I used to eat there 4 or 5 times a week) & I haven't eaten at Sonic (yes our stately business) for almost two years now! Burger King for about as long as McDonald's.

Wal-Mart sux too. If I go there it's for the bargain bin on DVD's. Did you know that a wedding was held at a Wal-Mart on the south side of OKC (in Moore, I believe) last year---frickin' Redneck)?!

I need to add Shell gas. They are only useful in a desperation move!

flintysooner
04-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Actually that Wal-mart in Moore is pretty nice since it was remodeled. I hadn't been in along time and was surprised. Plus the people who work in the Moore store seem to me to be above average nice and helpful compared to other Wal-mart's I've had to visit.

But I guess by your standard that makes me a red neck.

MadMonk
04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Flinty, what stood out to me was that he admitted to eating at McDonalds 4-5 times a week and he's calling others redneck! I guess he's a rehabilitated redneck now that he abstains from the Big Macs. :D

OKCisOK4me
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Actually that Wal-mart in Moore is pretty nice since it was remodeled. I hadn't been in along time and was surprised. Plus the people who work in the Moore store seem to me to be above average nice and helpful compared to other Wal-mart's I've had to visit.

But I guess by your standard that makes me a red neck.

Didn't you know?! 90% of Gooners are rednecks & didn't actually go to the school...but I'm sure you're not a part of that group...

OKCisOK4me
04-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Flinty, what stood out to me was that he admitted to eating at McDonalds 4-5 times a week and he's calling others redneck! I guess he's a rehabilitated redneck now that he abstains from the Big Macs. :D

Nice comeback...other than the fact that eating at McDonald's has nothing to do with being a redneck. The dirt burglars are teaming up...lol...

MikeLucky
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Didn't you know?! 90% of Gooners are rednecks & didn't actually go to the school...but I'm sure you're not a part of that group...

Yes it's true.... we have a football team and a college that is worthy of reverence by people OTHER than the graduates.....

As opposed to some other schools that ONLY a graduate could love.....

:boxing2:

MadMonk
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Nice comeback...other than the fact that eating at McDonald's has nothing to do with being a redneck. The dirt burglars are teaming up...lol...
Comeback? I wasn't addressing you boycott-boy. I guess they didn't teach reading comprehension at whatever high school you dropped out of. :rolleyes:

And eating 4-5 times/week there makes you a fat redneck. How's your artheriosclerosis?

bretthexum
04-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Comeback? I wasn't addressing you boycott-boy. I guess they didn't teach reading comprehension at whatever high school you dropped out of. :rolleyes:

And eating 4-5 times/week there makes you a fat redneck. How's your artheriosclerosis?

How about we stop the stupidity?

sgt. pepper
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
BOYCOTT THIS THREAD!

MadMonk
04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Absolutely. For immediate relief the little X is in the upper-right corner of your window. Alt-F4 is a good alternative. ;)

Redskin 70
04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
I boycott the Oklahoma City Police department and have successfully for nearly 50 years.

I also totally boycott ANY Hudiburg car dealership

t3h_wookiee
04-25-2008, 10:32 AM
The deal with Nestle is that they were going into 3rd World countries (in South America I think) and giving away samples of their formula--just enough to get the babies addicted where they would no longer drink the mom's milk, thereby forcing the mothers to purchase more formula or the babies would die.

Yep, that's why. They'd give the moms just enough formula so that her milk would dry up, and she'd have no choice but to continue to buy the formula. Since so many are so poor, they'd water it down as much as possible so it'd last longer, and the infants end up fairly malnourished. Really crappy business practices there.

I know that list quite well OKCCrime, and haven't bought a thing from any of those brands for well over 3 years now. It's hard, but worth it.

Tex
04-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Bob Moore Infiniti/Mazda.

In the middle of 07 I had gone into Bob Moore Infiniti looking to lease a new vehicle. I did all my research and went in knowing more than the normal car buyer. Well apparently I knew too much and the salesman felt threatened by it. He tried to screw me on all the offers and wouldn't let me negotiate and basically shook my hand and told me to get out. His name was Bob Pool, do not buy a car from this guy! Oh and I love the part when they say upfront, "we're just going to offer you the best deal so we don't have to go back and forth and keep you here long".

The during the ice storm of Dec. 07, I went in to Mazda looking to score a lease on a new car since it was obvious no one had bought a car in days. They tried offering me a new vehicle that had been used as a loaner for a price that exceeded the sticker price. They never told me how much the car was going to cost but just how much my payments were. Well I was smart enough to know that they tried to pull a fast one on me. They lost a sale when they needed it most. Overall the whole Bob Moore franchise is a crock of crap.

GWB
04-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Worst experience I've ever had at a car dealer was at Fowler Toyota in Norman. These people are certified crooks. They tried to get us to sign a paper that our conversations with them were confidential and could not be shared with anyone, including our attorney. They said it was their policy and everyone had to sign this form. It was the strangest experience I've ever had with a car dealer. Needless to say, we walked out of that place instantly. I recommend everyone stay away from Fowler Toyota, and all Fowler dealerships in the state of OK.

Chefdavies
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Doesn't Walmart have a big stake in Lowes?

No, I worked in upper management with Lowe's for 7 years and heard this many many times. I came to the conclusion that the general public thought bc the two buildings look generally the same they must be incahoots. I personally never saw, heard or knew of any stakes between the companies.

Midtowner
04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah...And anything Sony.

Me too.

The rootkit thing was my last straw with Sony.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Me too.

The rootkit thing was my last straw with Sony.

Pretty much the same here. It caused uber-headaches where I work...And everybody (save for the cleaning staff) that works in this building is IT so it shouldn't have been that big of a deal. But it was a no-joke-screw-the-pooch screwup. To this day, we still can't bring any sort of media into this building. No CD's, no thumbdrives, discs, nada.

I'm going to see how long I can hold out on the BluRay player...Hopefully, HD downloads will take off soon and render them obsolete before they get off the ground. I know I can already get some GREAT high-def content by downloading it through M$ on my Xbox 360 for a nominal fee. Let's hope that catches on :D

baybay4ev
04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Braums - back in college I ordered a Chicken Strip dinner that came with a "ROLL/BISCUIT" which, when I got home, turned out to be a crusted over HOT DOG bun. When I called them to ask them who in their right mind would give a Hot Dog bun as a entree bread, they advised me that they were about to expire so they had to get rid of them. So not only was it bad enough to give me a bun, it was OLD!! When they told me next time I ordered the dinner to ask for an extra roll.... I thought, YEAH right!! Like I am ever coming back!

meljohnson
05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I really try to stay away from large restaurant chains, not as much atmosphere and food isn't all that good. And Walmart- haven't been in a walmart for years. It depressed me too much the last time I was there!

loulang2000
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Grand House! Food was so oily there, made me sick.

amylynn5656
05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
On the subject of Wal-Mart, I recently moved back to OKC from Boulder, CO where the city council won't allow Wal-mart to build a store and I must say that never once did I ever miss it. I adapted my shopping habits accordingly and now find it incredibly easy to stay away. I highly suggest everyone else do the same, however I do see how it would be a slight inconvenience since there seems to be a Wal-Mart on every corner.

On to my boycotts...

Sprint - they screwed over my grandpa with a ridiculous billing mistake.

Cable Volkswagen - sometimes this is unavoidable, but I do everything within my power to have my VW worked on by just about anyone but the dealer.

Bricktown Brewery - this one is new. I have always felt that their beer and food was horrible, but had heard that they revamped the menu and reconfigured the brews. A few weeks ago I accompanied a friend there to give it a second chance and it was the same old nastiness. I won't go again.

Sonic at Memorial and Bryant in Edmond - after several attempts I've completely given up on this one. They just can't seem to get an order right.

OU Health Center - I'd rather die than go there.

I think that's it.