View Full Version : Hotels in downtown/bricktown

ourulz2000
04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
So I heard an ESPN reporter bashing OKC because it didn't have enough hotel space to support an NBA franchise? I thought OKC did, plus OKC is building more:
1. Colcord Hotel
2. Skirvin Hotel
3. Marriott Renaissance
4. Residence Inn
5. The Sheraton
6. Courtyard

pending construction:
1. new 10 story hotel in bricktown
2. holiday inn express

Kerry
04-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Umm - we supported the Hornets for 2 years. How does he explain that? Besides, one reason for getting the NBA is to grow OKC. As demand for downtown hotel rooms grows the market will adjust and build more rooms. He is probably a Seattle homer and only knows what Slade Gorton tells him.

betts
04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
There might not be enough for an NBA All Star game, but it's not as if that's happening any time soon. If you want an All Star game you have the hotel rooms or you don't get one. Simple.

But, you don't need very many to host visiting teams, as we did that very nicely even without the Skirvin. The Colcord put in longer beds for the players, and I believe that's where they stayed.

metro
04-16-2008, 10:36 AM
ourulz, the "10 story" you're referring to is actually now just going to be 9 stories and is the Hampton Inn. But good point nonetheless that we do have enough hotels to support an NBA team, whatever that means.

Steve
04-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Ourulz, do you have an online link to that ESPN report?

Kerry
04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Uh-oh - Now ESPN is going to get the Gaylord media empire after them. Just kidding Steve. I was just trying to beat the anti-Oklahomans to the punch.

solitude
04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Ourulz, Are you sure it was ESPN? I have a RedLasso account and it never lets me down in a video search and nothing came up for Oklahoma City Hotel Rooms on ESPN.

ourulz2000
04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
J.A. Adande Lounge: Teamless In Seattle? - ESPN Video (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3348033&categoryId=2459788&n8pe6c=2)

Steve
04-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Kerry, I don't even have one of those shinny white storm trooper outfits. I'm just one of the guys in the janitorial crew.

solitude
04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
RedLasso only searches on-air video. If it had actually been on-the-air on ESPN - I could have found it in seconds. (Complete with the clip!) But, the video above is a web-only commentary -- no lasso on that.

Kerry
04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Steve - If you have to wear a name tag as part of your uniform you are destined to die in the big "self destruct" scene at the end - ala Austin Powers.

jbrown84
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
What he says is, why would you want to have 41 games a year there if it's not a "big time enough place" for the all-star game?

Of course he says it in the same breath as he says how we supported the Hornets, so I think the question is answered.

Idiot.

HOT ROD
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Umm, why do you need hotel rooms in order to host an NBA team? Don't most people who attend games LIVE in that city, and therefore don't stay in hotel rooms?

What an idiot this guy is, put his foot in his mouth. Shows just how much intelligence these people have when they constantly try to poke at Oklahoma City.

The depressing thing is many people like to "agree" with stupid crap like that - which really shows the lack of comprehensive thought many americans have.

solitude
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Umm, why do you need hotel rooms in order to host an NBA team? Don't most people who attend games LIVE in that city, and therefore don't stay in hotel rooms?

What an idiot this guy is, put his foot in his mouth. Shows just how much intelligence these people have when they constantly try to poke at Oklahoma City.

The depressing thing is many people like to "agree" with stupid crap like that - which really shows the lack of comprehensive thought many americans have.

You got that right! That was just plain awful.

Kerry
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Just more of the same from the drive-by media.

Blazerfan11
04-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't take a sports station run by Disney seriously, and neither should anyone else.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/07/top_brands/image/disney.jpg