View Full Version : More Bricktown clubs closing

Steve
04-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Want to guess which ones? I've blogged about it at OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://www.okccentral.com).

lpecan
04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't believe RAW lasted this long anyway. I went to it as a restaurant a few times and I was always the only person in there.

mecarr
04-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Hopefully they get the idea that semi-seedy dance clubs\bars have a hard time surviving in Bricktown, so that they put something in there that sticks around. I bet a good jazz club\lounge would work.

john60
04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Weren't there plans to put a Pete's Dueling Piano bar in Bricktown at some point?

John
04-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Weren't there plans to put a Pete's Dueling Piano bar in Bricktown at some point?

Still in the works, I belive.

Supposed to go in Hogan's yet-to-be built building between Toby Keith's & Earl's.

BDP
04-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Supposed to go in Hogan's yet-to-be built building between Toby Keith's & Earl's.

Yeah, that's coming in Spring 2008, so it should be in just a few... oh wait...

fromdust
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM

i was just at the one in addison a couple of weeks ago, and it was a blast!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-17-2008, 08:47 PM
i was just at the one in addison a couple of weeks ago, and it was a blast!

They're usually pretty fun.

I used to go to one in LoDo all the time. Had a blast at one in the Mall of America as well.

edcrunk
04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
well, there has been an influx of bricktown-esque patrons at our robotic wednesdays (electro lounge) and i've noticed that is also crowd moving into the more progressive / underground "barmuda" area (hi-lo, edna's, sidecar and speakeasy). i figured it was due to all the press we've been receiving and a superior product that is offered (in regard to the dj's and the type of music played).

MySpace.com - Robotic Wednesdays | Electro Lounge - Oklahoma City!, US - Electro / New Wave / Indie - www.myspace.com/roboticwednesdays (http://www.myspace.com/roboticwednesdays)
MySpace.com - Dance Robots, Dance! - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Electro / Indie / New Wave - www.myspace.com/dancerobotsdancedotcom (http://www.myspace.com/dancerobotsdancedotcom)

namellac
04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I was in Bricktown twice this weekend, and for the first time in over a year. I was shocked by the lack of pedestrian traffic- especially on such nice nights. The east end looked like it did 10 or 15 years ago.

Cowboy Mouth at the Wormy Dog ROCKED!

MrBojangles
06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
A good Blues/Jazz lounge would be great in Brickown.

dismayed
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Do you not like Maker's MrBojangles?

OKCMallen
06-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Firsty, Bricktown needs a true, straightforward sportsbar. :)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM

They HAD a Varsity that had decent food, good service, and plenty of space...That one couldn't hold it's own.

*dunno*

John
06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
They HAD a Varsity that had decent food, good service, and plenty of space...That one couldn't hold it's own.

*dunno*

It seemed like the Bricktown Varsity had some sort of personality disorder. Was it a bar, a sportsbar, a restaurant, an off-track betting site, etc...?

A good sportsbar should be all of the above without the confusion.

MikeOKC
06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
It seemed like the Bricktown Varsity had some sort of personality disorder. Was it a bar, a sportsbar, a restaurant, an off-track betting site, etc...?

A good sportsbar should be all of the above without the confusion.

I agree that it should be all of the above. we definitely need a real sportsbar in Oklahoma City. I think once the NBA arrives here, things will obviously pick up and maybe save the restaurant and bar business in Bricktown. It's tough right now.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2008, 05:18 PM
I agree that it should be all of the above. we definitely need a real sportsbar in Oklahoma City. I think once the NBA arrives here, things will obviously pick up and maybe save the restaurant and bar business in Bricktown. It's tough right now.

Good point.

You too John...Me not being that much of a sports fan, I may have missed those aspects of the place (I'm only there for the booze-n-food).

I just can't wait for the team to get here...I think the downtown area is going to REALLY come into it's own, even more than it already is anyway!

OKCMallen
06-06-2008, 08:48 AM

*dunno*

That place, then Halftime, tried too hard to be family-restaurant, i think.

Dave Cook
06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Let's be honest here.

As much as have a hard on for all things Okie City.....the club scene here is absolutely pathetic.

What's the reasoning behind this? I'm a bit too old for this now but the dance scene -aside from the boot scootin silliness - has always been weak.

Pretty sad when the best club action is at Habana. Come on, Oklahoma City.....get a decent nightlife, for Christ's sakes!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Everybody gets married WAY too young here. That's why.

Dave Cook
06-06-2008, 09:18 AM
You might have a very good point.

I went to a dance club last weekend in Nicaragua that blew me away. Great interior, DJ, crowd, atmosphere.....and I was thinking....'Why can't we have something like this in Oklahoma City?'

Envious of a third-world club.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2008, 09:46 AM
lol...I spent the better part of a year all over South America, and I do remember pretty much the same thing.

Although I didn't see it as that big of a deal at the time, probably because I lived in San Diego, which has a pretty hoppin' night life.

bretthexum
06-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Dance clubs are for the DEVIL ;)

kevinpate
06-06-2008, 06:51 PM
nah,. just the devil in ya

OU Adonis
06-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I have never been a fan of clubs, I am a bar guy. I think there are other people who have that same mindset. I am not sure though.

Lord Helmet
06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
The two best clubs in OKC are Electro Lounge and the Habana IMHO.

Prunepicker
06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Do you not like Maker's MrBojangles?

My jazz group played at Maker's for years. We've had to stop because the smoke caused irritation to my eyes. I liked Maker's. Now we're starting to play at Mickey Mantle's, in Bricktown.

The sad thing about music venues is that the young don't go to listen they go to talk loud and be seen. They could not care less and don't show appreciation toward the musicians.

Prunepicker

kevinpate
06-13-2008, 10:50 AM
some better than fair music has been heard along the canal; just depends on who is where.

jbrown84
06-14-2008, 12:41 PM
the best club action is at Habana.

Hardly.

pjilla
06-16-2008, 10:23 AM

How about ESPN Zone or Dave and Busters?

HOT ROD
06-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Im sure ESPN Zone or Fox (or both) will be coming to OKC once the Sonics get there.

namellac
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I was at Bricktown Brewery over the weekend. It's no where near the prominence it once had. Chitty Walk was looking pretty weak as well.

OKCMallen
06-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Im sure ESPN Zone or Fox (or both) will be coming to OKC once the Sonics get there.

Doubtful. ESPNZone is only located in 8 cities:
NYC
Baltimore
DC
Atlanta
Chicago
Denver
Las Vegas
Anaheim

Toss out Vegas for obvious reasons, and what you have are 7 pro-cities. Anaheim is Orange County/Los Angeles, so they are a multi-sport pro city, as are the rest of them. OKC wouldn't even be on the radar, I wouldn't think.

Prunepicker
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I was at Bricktown Brewery over the weekend. It's no where near the prominence it once had. Chitty Walk was looking pretty weak as well.

Personally, I think these places are trying to attract the pop culture instead of people with money. During the breaks between sets I'll be outside watching people. Lot's of poppish youngsters are walking the streets. On the next break I'll see most of them again doing the same thing. You'd think they'd all be rushing to the City Walk.

The place where Ecshback's (sp) was, is too big. I needs to be cut in half. When 'Da Boat' was shut down, for not paying rent and utilities, they were paying over $10,000 a month not including wages.

My philosophy is to start small and THEN when you have people standing in line waiting to get in, leave everything alone because it's working.

PapaJack
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Has the ESPNZone in Scottsdale closed? It was so popular when last I visited that nobody went there.

OKCMallen
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
The FoxSports place was open there two winters ago if you're thinking about that one.

Platemaker
06-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I was at Bricktown Brewery over the weekend. It's no where near the prominence it once had.

Although it is not a place a frequent... I'm not suprised. I work downtown, and nearly every guest I have that goes there has nothing but bad things to say (and I promise I'm not quoting only a handful of accounts). The number one complaint... service... number two... "food sucks."

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Add in the part where the Brewery's beer sucks.

PLANSIT
06-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Although it is not a place a frequent... I'm not suprised. I work downtown, and nearly every guest I have that goes there has nothing but bad things to say (and I promise I'm not quoting only a handful of accounts). The number one complaint... service... number two... "food sucks."

I've had quite the opposite experience. I frequent the brewery about once every two weeks as I have an Allied Arts Card and get 2 for 1. The service has been on par with any other restaurant and the food is pretty good. Now the beer is just ok and could use some adjustment.

kevinpate
06-18-2008, 08:05 AM
> Now the beer is just ok and could use some adjustment.

I rarely imbibe anymore, but a place that holds itself out as a brewery, and has comments such as the above and worse, isn't paying attention to the details.

A while back, on a very busy night in BT, they were able to seat me within 10 minutes when others were guesstimating 45 min. or more. So we stayed. It wasn't bad, but we haven't raved about the place to others either.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah...As a beer drinker and amateur beer snob that hangs out with like-minds...No beer drinker I know like their brand of taste

OKCMallen
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I am a beer drinker with decent experience and pallette, and their beer simply isn't any good at all. Pretty sure I've tried all of them.

namellac
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Brewery used to have decent tasting beer. Something was off about it this time. Do they still have a true brewmaster? or are they just following recipes?

It used to be the premiere live music venue in town as well. The stage was awesome to play on, but it is gone now, and they cut the upstairs into a third of what it was.

PLANSIT
06-18-2008, 12:16 PM
From my experience it tastes almost watered down. Coach's is similar.

OKCMallen
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
They supposedly hired a new brewmaster with the new owners...not sure why they cut down the upstairs; the place used to get some business. They really need a re-working of the entire scheme. I think the structure and theme are fine, but they need some decent food and a refocusing on the beer and bar area pronto.

namellac
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
It may just boil down to the amount of SQFT they are able to rent, even though they have to be able to share the one elevator.

This would also allow the bldg owners to rent out the first and second floors of Windy City/Daq. Zone.

I like Belle Isle's Porter myself. I think all any brewery is allowed to brew is 3.2 anyhow, so it's not going to taste as good.

VikingSooner
06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree with the various posts on the clubs in the city. They are all geared toward the same demographic. There really isn't any good chill trendy places in the city that dare to play music that comes from outside the US.

Prunepicker
06-19-2008, 12:11 AM
I agree with the various posts on the clubs in the city. They are all geared toward the same demographic. There really isn't any good chill trendy places in the city that dare to play music that comes from outside the US.

What kind of music are you wanting to hear? Will you please be specific?