View Full Version : Tree Bank Foundation, City Launch "Great OKC Tree Give-Away"

FritterGirl
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
TREE BANK FOUNDATION, CITY SPONSOR “Great OKC Tree Give-Away”
1,000 FREE trees to be made available to City residents

April 15, 2008 (OKLAHOMA CITY) – The Greater Oklahoma City Tree Bank Foundation, in cooperation with the City of Oklahoma City, is making 1,000 trees available for free to citizens as part of the “Great OKC Tree Give-Away.” The program is being funded entirely through a grant from the Houston-based Apache Foundation.

“This was an opportunity we just couldn’t pass up,” said Mary Caffrey, Executive Director of the Tree Bank Foundation. “Trees play such an important role in our lives. We hope by providing these 1,000 trees, we are able to give to the community just a small part of what we lost in December’s ice storm.”

Citizens who want a free tree must pre-register through the City’s NeighborWoods program. Registration will run April 15 through April 21, or as long as supplies last. Registration is only open to residential households within the corporate limits of Oklahoma City. The trees are available on a first-come, first-served basis and only one tree will be available per household.

Citizens will be able to choose from the following tree varieties: Bald Cypress, Shumard Oak, Loblolly Pine, and Crabapple.

The trees were purchased through local nurseries to ensure the varieties selected can tolerate Oklahoma’s extreme weather. All trees are ¾” to 1” caliper and will be in five-gallon containers. They can be easily transported in a car or light truck.

There are three ways to register for the trees. Citizens may e-mail their contact information (name, address, phone and e-mail address) and tree preference to trees@okc.gov. They may visit the City’s website at City of Oklahoma City | Public Information & Marketing (http://www.okc.gov/releaf) to download a registration form and fax the completed form to 297-1631. Citizens without computer or fax access may call the NeighborWoods program at 297-2283.

Once they register, citizens will be assigned a designated time when they can pick up their tree. Distribution will begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday, April 26 at Will Rogers Park, 3400 NW 36th. Citizens will need to present a valid ID, or registration confirmation number, for pick-up.

Volunteer Master Gardeners will be available during distribution to answer citizen questions about tree care, and education materials will also be provided to everyone who receives a tree.

The total of the grant, as funded by the Apache Foundation, is estimated at $15,000.

“We absolutely could not do this without the support of the Apache Foundation,” Caffrey said. “Their commitment to the environment through their million-tree planting effort serves as an example for all major companies to follow.”

The Apache Foundation, a division of the Houston-based Apache Petroleum Corporation, has a goal of funding the distribution and planting of one million trees in the areas it serves, including Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. Since launching the program in 2006, it has helped plant over 370,000 trees in the tri-state area.

For complete program details, citizens may visit online at City of Oklahoma City | Public Information & Marketing (http://www.okc.gov/releaf), or call 297-2283.
###

betts
04-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Cool. I'm not sure what a Loblolly pine looks like, but Bald Cypress and Shumard Oaks are great trees. I have lost three big elms in the last couple of years, two to the ice storm.

wsucougz
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm in.

FritterGirl
04-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Cool. I'm not sure what a Loblolly pine looks like, but Bald Cypress and Shumard Oaks are great trees. I have lost three big elms in the last couple of years, two to the ice storm.

If you go to www okc gov / releaf you can download a pdf file that details what each of the tree species looks like. There's also information on basic tree care at www okc gov / releaf

If this program is successful, the Tree Bank Foundation may seek more funding in the fall.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a new tree for your yard, here's an opportunity to get one for free!

The trees are really high-quality, and are in 5-gallon containers so are readily transportable and plantable.

OKCCrime
04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks!

Links for info to help you decide on a tree:

Taxodium distichum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Cypress)

Shumard Oak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shumard_Oak)

Loblolly Pine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loblolly_Pine)

Malus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malus)

metro
04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
The program is being funded entirely through a grant from the Houston-based Apache Foundation.

Glad to see us getting something from Houston for a change, even if it is small. Folks, we ought to get these and then just go plant them on the banks of the Oklahoma River. They do this stuff all the time in larger cities like Portland. "Night gardeners".

bornhere
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
There are already plans for planting trees along the river.

While I'm glad to see this offer for free trees to citizens, I'd also like to see more aggressive work on replacing trees in parks and other public spaces that were killed by the ice storm.

OKCCrime
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
There are already plans for planting trees along the river.

While I'm glad to see this offer for free trees to citizens, I'd also like to see more aggressive work on replacing trees in parks and other public spaces that were killed by the ice storm.

I think Metro's suggestion was to get one and put it in you local park on your own, in the middle of the night as it were.

FritterGirl
04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Seriously, guys. While I appreciate the environmental vigilantism and the spirit of "doing good" for the community, I would highly discourage ANYONE from planting trees on public lands, even in our existing parks.

#1. To plant, you need to call Okie to ensure you won't be getting near a buried power line or cable. That means putting little flags out all over the place...a dead give-away, even for your "night plans." There are appropriate places to plant trees, and inappropriate places to plant trees. If you plant a tree in a place that is deemed inappropriate (too close to utility lines, blocking traffic sight lines, rights of way, etc.), that tree will be pulled, thereby wasting grant money.

#2. Someone - i.e. the Parks Department - must maintain these trees, unless, of course, those who are willing to steal out in the middle of the night to plant the tree are also intent upon caring for it.

New trees require more maintenance, and are not on the same watering schedule as older, more established trees. Unless someone is there to take care of these trees regularly, they will not receive any more care than what is already scheduled for these parks, which could prove detrimental to the new tree, therein wasting this grant money.

#3. It's also possible that any tree planted "illegally" may very well be yanked right back up (not sure on the likelihood on that, but it's certainly a possibility). So, again, that would be wasting the intent of this program, which is to provide free trees to citizens for planting on private residential lands.

The City's Parks and Planning Departments are working on a long-term recovery strategy for our urban forests, which includes plans to replace trees lost in the ice storm. Recovery of this magnitude is neither easy, nor readily affordable.

The City is working with FEMA and the State Forestry Services division to put together a comprehensive plan that, when finalized, will most likely take about 2 years to implement. Even the State Forestry Director is telling the City to be patient, and move forward with caution. We need to see what will grow back first (heavily damaged trees), then decide what will be worth replacing.

It's not just about dumping a tree out there. Maintenance issues must be considered. Long term care issues must be considered. Urban forestry issues must be considered. Most importantly, budget issues (including maintenance) must be considered.

Multiple partnership groups (OKC Beautiful, Tree Bank Foundation among them) are working with the City to determine what those forestry needs are, then may, if possible, assist with funding.

The key issue here is patience. Our forests - even before the ice storm - did not sprout out overnight. As such, replacement will not happen overnight either - even by those who have the "best interests" of our public lands at heart.

In the meantime, if you are interested in a free tree, please sign up for one, and use it to plant in your yard and enhance your neighborhood in that way.

OKCCrime
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
FritterGirl, given that you are connect to the parks dept, how about suggesting that a program be put in place where people could donate a tree (or funds to buy a tree) that would go into a park of the donator's choice? Maybe an extra charitable contribution would earn a named plaque. That way parks could manage the maintenance, but the people could choose the park for the tree. Just a thought.

FritterGirl
04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
FritterGirl, given that you are connect to the parks dept, how about suggesting that a program be put in place where people could donate a tree (or funds to buy a tree) that would go into a park of the donator's choice? Maybe an extra charitable contribution would earn a named plaque. That way parks could manage the maintenance, but the people could choose the park for the tree. Just a thought.

Thanks, OKCCrime.

Actually, a donation program is already in place, and not just for trees. To take a look at some of the many ways people can donate to the Parks Department, you can download a copy of the Parks Giving Guide (http://www.okc.gov/parks/donation/guide.pdf)located on the Parks Department's home web page (http://www.okc.gov/parks).

In addition, many local neighborhood associations and other groups work specifically with OKC Beautiful through our Adopt-A-Park program, where they can donate trees, landscaping and agree to maintain that property on an ongoing basis.

OKCCrime
04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Actually, a donation program is already in place, and not just for trees. To take a look at some of the many ways people can donate to the Parks Department, you can download a copy of the Parks Giving Guide (http://www.okc.gov/parks/donation/guide.pdf)located on the Parks Department's home web page (http://www.okc.gov/parks).

I never knew. Very cool. Thanks!

Bornhere, here is your chance to contribute! :)

FritterGirl
04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Nearly 350 trees spoken for on day one! Only 650 left to go.

If you know anyone looking for a FREE TREE....sign-up is a snap!

wsucougz
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I sent an e-mail yesterday afternoon. Should I have expected a response already if I made it on the list?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Cool!

FritterGirl
04-17-2008, 07:36 AM
I sent an e-mail yesterday afternoon. Should I have expected a response already if I made it on the list?

No. We will not be sending out any confirmation until registration closes end of business on Monday. They will then do an address confirmation and assign trees based upon individuals' preferences. Trees will be assigned based upon the order in which registration was received.

You'll then be sent an email verification, or phone call, with your confirmation number and an assigned block of time when you can pick up the tree.

For traffic control purposes, we'll be distributing the trees by "type." It will more or less be a "drive thru" operation during pick-up.

I'd be happy to double-check the receipt of your email. If you send me a PM with your information, I'll check on it for you.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-25-2008, 07:04 AM
I got mah email!

I can go pick up my little bundle of oak tomorrow.

:)

wsucougz
04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Got my #1 draft pick - shumard oak. Whatsup?

FritterGirl
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Glad to hear you'll both be there.

Just pull on up during the designated time frame, give us your handy-dandy confirm #, and proof that you are who you say you are, and we'll hand you a beautiful 5' oak ready for a-plantin'! We'll also give you some tree care info and a few other surprises as well.

Go trees!

wsucougz
04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks - I assume you'll be the girl gnawing on an apple fritter?

FritterGirl
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Apple fritters, yummm!!!!

I will be there, but won't have much time to fritter away eating a fritter (or anything else for that matter).

1,000 trees X 9 hours = 1.85 trees a minute. Doable, but busy.

Thank goodness for volunteers!

OKCCrime
04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Not to burst any bubbles, but people who receive trees need to report their value as income for tax purposes. Any chance we can get the price paid for each variety of tree? I'm assuming it is non-trivial.

yukong
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Got my email for my oak tree yesterday also.

I wonder how big they are at this point. I know they will be saplings, but I am just curious how big. A 5 gallon bucket if pretty good size.

FritterGirl
04-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Not to burst any bubbles, but people who receive trees need to report their value as income for tax purposes. Any chance we can get the price paid for each variety of tree? I'm assuming it is non-trivial.

That would be a good question for the Tree Bank Foundation, since they purchased the trees. They were purchased at a wholesale rate from a local wholesale nursery. The total grant was $15,000. At 1,000 trees, that's an ave. of $15 per tree. Not sure if people will need to declare a "retail value" or the actual purchased value.

Got my email for my oak tree yesterday also.

I wonder how big they are at this point. I know they will be saplings, but I am just curious how big. A 5 gallon bucket if pretty good size.

Most are about 5' tall at this point, so are much larger than saplings. They are beautiful.

wsucougz
04-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Aaaaaahahahaaha!

OKCCrime
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Aaaaaahahahaaha!

Ooops, you should prepare for a tax audit. I hear that the IRS is hooked into Carnivore (http://www.rense.com/general66/scgh.htm) to find people who openly flaunt tax law. :)

OKCCrime
04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Not sure if people will need to declare a "retail value" or the actual purchased value.

Fair market value.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I picked mine up...And 5' tall? My big toe. Mine's more like 8' tall!

Thanks for setting all this up. Now I just have to dig that hole...After I pick a spot :(

lol

OKCCrime
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
lol

Ahhh, the honest citizenry of Oklahoma. Now I know why the state put the Use Tax on the income tax form!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Might want to crack down on all those 15 year olds taking cash payments for mowing grass trying to save up for their first car...As well as those Butterball turkeys and fruitcakes you've gotten from your employers over the years while you're on your soap box.

OKCCrime
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
As well as those Butterball turkeys and fruitcakes you've gotten from your employers over the years while you're on your soap box.

Fruitcake (http://www.dennyshouse.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?product=Fruitcakes&productid=nana_cr) - $15
Butterball Turkey (http://www.dellasoulfoodservice.com/butter-ball-juice-turkey-with-stuffing-of-your-chioce.html) -$50
Oh GAWD the Smell defrauding the government - priceless

:)

Now where is that damn soapbox - Oh that's right, I didn't bring one to this thread :)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
The tree they gave me was probably $20. I know I've bought turkeys for more than that.

wsucougz
04-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Fair market value is a pretty subjective term. It just so happens that my market for trees is god's green earth - bird drops a seed, seed grows into a sapling, I dig it out of the ground and plant it in my yard. $0.

I learned that in "Tax Loopholes for Dudes Who Kick Other Dudes Asses," by Wesley Snipes.

OKCCrime
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Fair market value is a pretty subjective term.

From the same series, also featuring that gem of wisdom :
http://layoutflux.com/plugins/generators/thumbs/dummies.gif

julieriggs
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Oh now... seriously? LOL

wsucougz
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I planted my oak tonight. Hopefully it lives.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I planted my oak tonight. Hopefully it lives.

Same here.

FritterGirl
04-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I hope they both live. Thanks to each of you for taking them!

If you go by the simple care instructions provided, you should do okay. Those oaks are pretty hardy and can withstand many different weather elements and soil conditions.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Heh...If it's anything like the tree in my front yard, it'll grow like a weed and look awesome within a year or two.

I think it's some variation of oak too.