View Full Version : My Ironman training blog

Pete
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Over the last couple of years, I've really become addicted to the sport of triathlon. I'm rather a latecomer as I didn't do my first race until I was 46, but I'm hoping to stick with it for the longer haul.

To learn things properly, I joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (TNT), a program where you get coaching and group workouts in exchange for raising funds for that excellent cause. 1.5 years later, I'm still now heavily involved with TNT and am now a volunteer assistant coach.

I've made tons of friends through all this and about a dozen of us are now training for Ironman competitions this fall. I've done a couple of half-Ironmans but this will be the full enchilada: 2.4 mile ocean swim, 112 mile bike and then run a marathon (26.2 miles).

My race will be Ironman Florida (Panama City) on Novemeber 1.

I decided to chronicle my journey through a blog:

Pete's Ironman Training Blog (http://peterbrz.blogspot.com/)

I try and update it every week or two, so feel free to bookmark it and revisit in you'd like to follow my progress and adventures.

Also, to any of you interested in triathlon, marathons or cycling events, I couldn't recommend Team in Training enough.

Cheers!

Karried
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Wow Pete, I'm so impressed with your committment!

Always nice to live vicariously through someone very motivated! And even more so from my computer chair lol....

Good luck and thanks for keeping us updated!

CCOKC
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Cool, my dad and stepmom live in Kona and I loved seeing those pictures.
I worked the Ironman one year giving out gatorade and water and was so inspired by all of the athletes especially the "regular" people who did the whole race. Keep it up.

EvokeCoffee
04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Pete - looking forward to reading all about it! I love watching these comps although I don't think you will see me on a training date! I have been told I am a great windbreak in the cycling portion, however!

Good luck. I have a friend that is also training for that same comp I believe.

Blazerfan11
04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
lore of running is a must read for late bloomers, btw...'tis what I used.

jbrown84
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
My dad has done several Ironmans. It's quite a feat!

I hope you will be able to come compete in the Redman here in OKC.