View Full Version : San Francisco has solved our parking problem

BDP
04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
SFpark would micromanage city's scarce spaces (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/14/MNTO104818.DTL)

I'm kidding, of course, but it at least provides some perspective when people complain about parking in Bricktown.

metro
04-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Until we get like a big city, we don't and won't have parking problems, this is what bigger cities have to deal with:

http://www.myloupe.com/disp_thumb_images/12773/display/558166.jpg

Kerry
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Interesting. Their plan doesn't now if it will reduce parking issues, green-house gases, or traffic congestion, but it does know for sure the City of San Francisco will make more money. Funny how that works because it could have gone either way. Of course, I can just imagine someone telling their employer they have to start working nights so they can afford the parking prices.

metro
04-14-2008, 03:52 PM
For the $17 million or whatever they are getting in Federal money, they could have done something FAR better than that if they want to reduce green house gases or reduce traffic congestion. Monitoring parking meters more isn't going to help anything IMO, except as you say create more revenue for the city of SF.

solitude
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I lived in San Francisco and never owned a car. You haven't seen public transportation until you've seen the services available in the Bay Area.

As for parking meters, it would make a huge difference if they got serious about enforcing them. Parking costs a fortune in downtown San Francisco. There are people who find a metered spot and stay all day. The fine (if they get one at all) is cheaper than the available paid parking! Also, tourists take the meters and stay all day and then most just toss the ticket. Serious enforcement would make a huge difference in the availability of parking in downtown SF.

Kerry
04-14-2008, 05:35 PM
LOL Solitude - I got a parking ticket in San Fran back in '89. I still haven't paid it. Honestly I don't know why anyone living in San Fran proper even owns a car. If you need to go out of town rent one.

mmonroe
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
What is that garage that backs couch park by the OKC Chambers? It looks something like that.

jbrown84
04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
The fine (if they get one at all) is cheaper than the available paid parking!

And yet here, if I'm not out of my space on Park Ave. by 8:30 am, I get a ticket.

mmonroe
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I was at a meter when I worked downtown and got a ticket for 2 minutes over my parking time... lousy ten dollars.

Spartan
04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Until we get like a big city, we don't and won't have parking problems, this is what bigger cities have to deal with:

http://www.myloupe.com/disp_thumb_images/12773/display/558166.jpg

Houston, TX baby. :tiphat:

bornhere
04-16-2008, 04:38 AM
The city actually has a few of those new meters installed just north of city hall. They were put in as a pilot project which I guess never went anywhere. Although it seems like I've read that our meters are so old they have trouble finding parts for them.

As you probably know, meters aren't there to collect revenue, but to keep the parking spaces turning over.

I think it's against the law to keep slugging the meter all day, but enforcement is on-again, off-again.

The electronic meters at city hall actually contact parking enforcement when they run out, so no one has to keep checking them with regular drive-bys. And they won't accept another payment until someone has pulled out of the parking spot and someone else has pulled in. In theory, I guess, you could pull out and then back in again.

mmonroe
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh I've seen these meters.. what's up with the phone though. Who are you doing to call?

andy157
04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=mmonroe;137978]What is that garage that backs couch park by the OKC Chambers? It looks something like that.[/QUOT

I think, that your thinking about the parking garage next to Kerr Park. Your right they look similar. I don't know the name of the parking garage, but the cars are parked on various levels using an elevator. Unless something has changed.

jbrown84
04-16-2008, 10:56 PM
bornhere, are you talking about the electronic ones on Park in front of the County Courthouse and Leadership Square?

mmonroe
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=mmonroe;137978]What is that garage that backs couch park by the OKC Chambers? It looks something like that.[/QUOT

I think, that your thinking about the parking garage next to Kerr Park. Your right they look similar. I don't know the name of the parking garage, but the cars are parked on various levels using an elevator. Unless something has changed.

Those would be the ones.

bornhere
04-17-2008, 02:52 AM
bornhere, are you talking about the electronic ones on Park in front of the County Courthouse and Leadership Square?

Thre may be some there as well. The ones I know about are at city hall, across the street from the museum.