View Full Version : New retail?

soonerj
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know what is going in the new buildings at NW 23 and Penn (in the parking lot of the Ace Hardware) as well as at the southeast intersection of NW 36 and May? I have heard the May location may be a Starbucks, but I'm hoping one or the other might be a Chipotle. I noticed today that Stillwater's Chipotle is under construction, which makes three now in Oklahoma. (Four, if Norman's is still in the works).

onthestrip
04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
36th & May is a Starbucks. In front of Ace? Dont know but If I had to guess I would say Popeyes. Definitely not a Chipotle.

TheImmortal
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
There will be 8 Chipotle locations in Oklahoma once they are finished expansion. Also the locations I know of are Tulsa metro, Stillwater, Edmond, Norman, and OKC. That will be at least 5. I am guessing maybe another one in the Tulsa metro, and one in north okc and south okc. Or maybe one in central okc and one in Lawton.

jbrown84
04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
In front of Ace? Dont know but If I had to guess I would say Popeyes. Definitely not a Chipotle.

Why do you say that? There is already a Popeye's at 23rd & Broadway and one at 50th and May. I highly doubt they'd put another one in so close.

BeeEss
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I scrounged around on the city's building permit website and found this for the 23rd and Penn construction:

Electrical Permit Information (http://www.okc.gov/permits/Forms/OtherPermits.aspx?PermitNumber=ELEC-2008-03179)

Several people have indicated that they heard 36th and May was going to be a Starbucks as well, although (to me) it seems odd that we would have two that are so close together. The 36th and May building is very strange - there appears to be a drive-in window (facing west) that is only accessible on foot, the driveway doesn't curve in front of it. I think there may be another drive-through window on the east side of the building but I haven't gone by to check.

I go by the 36th and May location every day on my way to work. As soon as I see a sign go up I'll report back. I would be crazy happy to have a Chipotle so close to the house, but I don't think my luck runs that well. :)

--b

onthestrip
04-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Again, just a guess. It looks fairly small, like most other Popeyes. And I dont think this one is so close that it would cannibalize the other two. Maybe I will just have to find out for sure.

jbrown84
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Well there are Starbucks only a mile apart in Edmond as well as on NW Expressway.

As far as 23rd & Penn, the permit seems to confirm it, but besides that, the location of the drive-thru window is more like a starbucks, where the counter goes long ways with the window behind it. A Popeye's would have the window more halfway back, with the front half as the dining area.

soonerj
04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I also would be crazy happy if either of them turned out to be a Chipotle. I'd be pleased if the other was a Starbucks. It appears the NW 23/Penn one may be a Starbucks then, according to your link. Maybe the 36th and May location isn't a Starbucks. Perhaps the rumor mill was actually indicating the Penn location as the coffee house.

I agree... The NW 36/May location is odd, whatever it is. I don't recall even seeing a door to it.

sethsrott
04-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Okay, I I just talked to my manager at the Del City Starbucks and according to him, both are supposed to be Starbucks, but that these are going to be the last few as they don't want to over saturate the market, and Corporate is going to focus on international growth.

So I hope this helps!

jbrown84
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks. Seth, do you know if they are hiring for those locations yet?

sethsrott
04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks. Seth, do you know if they are hiring for those locations yet?

not yet, all thought I should be able to find out when they are, and if you are interested I will PM you when they open up.

jbrown84
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
thanks

BeeEss
05-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, the 36th and May location finally put up a banner. It says "Starbucks Drive-Through Coming Soon." It looks like there are both walk-up and drive-up windows (the walk-up window faces west.) It doesn't look like there will be an actual dining area - I've never seen a Starbucks that didn't have the requisite comfy chairs and tables, but then again I don't frequent them that often. At any rate, it looks like they are coming right along on the construction. I couldn't see if the banner had an opening date; I'll check closer tomorrow.

--b

metro
05-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I was going to say, I saw Starbucks stuff at the one on 36th and May for about a week now, even if not, you could tell by the look of the building. As for NW 23rd and Penn, I'm not sure. It would be a nice location for Starbucks, OCU needs one close by. As of last week, Starbucks said they are halting any further U.S. expansion, so I guess we "lucked" out. Would love to see a Chiptole in the center city though.

John
05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
As of last week, Starbucks said they are halting any further U.S. expansion, so I guess we "lucked" out.

I think (according to Starbucks) we're still 'under served' as far as their expansion goes. We should still see a few new ones pop up in OKC, since we're one of their newer markets -- regardless of their expansion memo.