View Full Version : Former Lucent plant to get new use

metro
04-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Orphaned industrial plant gets a new high-tech task
Oklahoman
By Jim Stafford
Business Writer

A new high-tech mission has emerged for the former Lucent Technologies plant in far western Oklahoma City.

The 1.8-million-square-foot facility has gained new life as OKCWorks, a giant data center capable of serving "mission critical” computing needs for scores of client companies worldwide, developer Terryl Zerby said.

Zerby and partner Ron Ward were the lead investors in a group that paid $14 million for the property in 2004.

Then they had to find a new role for the vacant landmark property, where nearly 10,000 people once worked making what was then state-of-the-art telephone switching equipment.

"We knew it had potential for manufacturing, distribution and certainly some sort of office use,” Zerby said this week as he provided a tour of the massive — and still empty — space that sits on about 250 acres.

"It wasn't but a year after ownership that we began to hear from other developers asking about the power capabilities,” Zerby said. "We realized there is an OG&E substation on site. This facility has two power generation sources. That is a key component of data centers.”

Buzzing with potential
Suddenly, the owners saw potential for the plant that opened in the early 1960s as a manufacturing site for what was then known as Western Electric.
The site would be ideal for a new high-tech role in an age when computing power has become a critical element to businesses worldwide.

"Soon after that we became acquainted with Tom Freeman and his group and began to explore further the capability of the facility as a large data center operation, or a combination,” Zerby said. "We began talking about the potential of subdividing the facility.”

Freeman and his Dallas-based company property management firm, Jones Lang LaSalle, saw so much potential in the property that it began acting as a leasing agent after bringing a couple of clients up to tour the site. Freeman is managing director of Jones Lang LaSalle's Critical Environment Solutions division, usually acting as an agent for companies seeking data center space.

Austin, Texas-based design and engineering firm Page Southerland Page was hired to help develop a master plan for the site.

What emerged are five distinct buildings known as OKC10 through OKC50. The concept of a data center "pod system” was developed that offers anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 square feet of space.

"There are a lot of expansion capabilities here,” Freeman said. "Every corporation we've dealt with, they would like to have only what they need today, but they don't want to be boxed in two years from now. The amount of square footage here is the only place I know of in the United States that could satisfy that objection.”

Key to the new data center is redundant power and communications and affordable power costs, which Freeman said was in the neighborhood of 4 cents per kilowatt hour. OG&E has an on-site substation.

"Power is probably the main driver,” Freeman said. "Here the power is expandable as far out as you can see.”

What type of clients could use the site?
So, who are the former plant's potential clients?
Most of Jones Lang LaSalle's clients prefer to remain anonymous, but it does work with software giant Microsoft, which has enormous computing needs, Freeman said. The company also manages all of Bank of America's data centers, he said.

Companies with large data needs are looking to relocate their computer servers away from crowded, high-cost urban areas. Google bought 600 acres at the Mid America Industrial Park in Pryor last year on which it is building its own massive data center.

OKCWorks' Oklahoma location also is desirable because the state is one of the few that offers tax breaks for companies that invest in data center equipment, Freeman said.

Opening within a couple weeks is the first 15,000-square-foot data center known as RACK59, Zerby said. New raised flooring and server racks already have been installed in what once served as a data center for the former Lucent Technologies.

Developers confident right role found for plant
Roy Williams, president of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, said economic development officials are pleased to see the old manufacturing plant has come "full circle” in its new role.
"We have seen that there is a growing demand for that kind of computer farm, or whatever the current terminology is,” Williams said. "Terryl has moved that whole plan forward, and it really is good to see that, hopefully, it will end up being a true high tech facility as it was originally planned and originally made.”

Zerby and Ward are confident they have found the right role for the former manufacturing workhorse.

The plant's new owners took their time to assess what they had bought and what assets the site offered.

"Our task was to find that highest, best use that could appreciate the assets,” Zerby said. "Unquestionably it is as a mission critical/data center.”

AFCM
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
This is a step in the right direction, but the article doesn't mention anything about how many jobs will be created. I guess more information will come later, but as always, I like to see articles like this.

mmonroe
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
This is awesome. But i'm nerdy, so it gets me all worked up.

sgt. pepper
04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
good news, good news......i hope this brings lots and lots of jobs. That plant has been empty way too long.

Doug Loudenback
04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, good news. I'm confused, though ... wasn't this the site of the proposed outlet mall we heard about last year, and, if not, what happened to that project?

CCOKC
04-10-2008, 05:38 PM
It was my understanding that the outlet mall would be developed on the vacant land directly south of this property.

OKCCrime
04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
All the juicy details are on the website OKCWORKS (http://okcworks.com) including a video (http://www.okcworks.com/Default.aspx?tabid=58#LiveContent[Video])
and aerial views:
http://www.okcworks.com/Portals/0/LeftSide/lsp_aerial.jpg (http://www.okcworks.com/Portals/0/LiveContent/372/Images/Aerial080324.jpg)

As I read the article, I wondered what consideration was given to disaster by tornado. It's not like you can do an off-site backup for that type of facility. :)

mmonroe
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm sure tornado reasons are why they are building the DC on the NE corner...

metro
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
It was my understanding that the outlet mall would be developed on the vacant land directly south of this property.

Exactly!

onthestrip
04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
The outlet mall is still a go and it is going to be on the empty land directly to the south.

bombermwc
04-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Computer Nerd here - I was totally excited too.

MadMonk
04-11-2008, 07:46 AM
That sounds like a very cool use for that complex. It would be interesting to see it once it's up and running.

pearlbluevtx
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
From a business user standpoint, I've toured and been through a majority of the current data centers here in OKC and Dallas. I think this is a great thing for OKC but I do worry about over-saturation of the market b/c you've got some colos that are going vertical like Perimeter and then the "bunker" up in OKC/Edmond and I'm sure there are some in downtown OKC as well.

Regarding jobs, that is an interesting question but I think it depends on the # of people that come with whoever might be the tenants and how they staff up the data centers. I'd say the jobs will be good paying, high-tech jobs of course but I wouldn't think there will be a ton except for what might be created b/c of them being here. They'll have to have onsite techs/admins who can work with the equipment etc. and what would be nice is some office jobs that could come with the larger companies who are spreading their data center needs around the country. Will be interesting to follow ... very excited about Zerby/Ward doing this. I don't know if I'd want to take on a project like that b/c of the infrastructure cost (the plant has so much already!) but you know to refurb it and get it ready, that's no small $ amt either!

mmonroe
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm glad to see oklahoma on the up and up, not only on retail and energy, but in the tech field as well.

andy157
04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm sure tornado reasons are why they are building the DC on the NE corner...Do what?

mmonroe
04-13-2008, 11:55 PM
...As I read the article, I wondered what consideration was given to disaster by tornado...

I'm sure tornado reasons are why they are building the DC [Data Center] on the NE corner...

Do what?

Again andy...

Most tornado related storms travel SW to NE... We've always been warned that the safest place in your home is in a closet or space with no windows on the North East corner. Which is why I stated that they are probably building the DC [Data Center] on the NE corner.

MadMonk
04-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, but...the whole complex is going to be a data center (have you looked at the plans?)
http://okcworks.com/Portals/0//LiveContent/372/Images/FloorPlan080317.jpg

andy157
04-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Again andy...

Most tornado related storms travel SW to NE... We've always been warned that the safest place in your home is in a closet or space with no windows on the North East corner. Which is why I stated that they are probably building the DC [Data Center] on the NE corner.Sorry mmonroe, now I understand what you were trying to say. And like you pointed out, since it's most likely that a major tornadic storm is going to come from the S.W. and tract to the N.E. then wouldn't they be better off relocating the 1.8 million sq. ft. facility to the S.E, corner? There they could remain safe and out of harms way. Western Electric should have been smarter and thought of that decades ago. No wonder they're no longer in business

Kerry
04-14-2008, 09:12 AM
You guys do understand the magnitude of a tornado that it would take to destory that building don't you. This isn't built like a house. It is a heavyduty industrial build built during the height of the coldwar. I'll bet you it was designed to withstand a nuclear balst.

andy157
04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
You guys do understand the magnitude of a tornado that it would take to destory that building don't you. This isn't built like a house. It is a heavyduty industrial build built during the height of the coldwar. I'll bet you it was designed to withstand a nuclear balst.Yes I under..... never mind.

jbrown84
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
wouldn't they be better off relocating the 1.8 million sq. ft. facility to the S.E, corner?

The tornado is coming from the SW, therefore, the most shielded corner is the Northeast. Makes sense to me.

andy157
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
The tornado is coming from the SW, therefore, the most shielded corner is the Northeast. Makes sense to me.I'm sure that it does.

dpickits
04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Why would anybody want to move a business to Oklahoma City unless they spoke spanish. I have lived here for over 30 years and my quality of live has done nothing but go down while taxes and everything else has went up. The leaders of this city are more engrossed in getting a pro basketball team here than taking care of everyday things like crime in this city. If you want to move to Oklahoma I would suggest Tulsa. At least they are trying to do something about all the illegal immigrants. So if you need unskilled cheap labor move here OKC, else try Tulsa.

mmonroe
04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Really dpickits.

MadMonk
04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Money, profit, etc are the usual - and perfectly acceptable - reasons.

Now how about you stop being an off-topic troll and start your own separate thread whining about how your life sucks ever since Jorge took your lawn-mowing gig mmkay?

sethsrott
04-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I spoke to someone close to this project and he said that it is 100% happening, and that he knows for sure that VISA is considering moving it's credit card processing facility from Houston to this facility in Oklahoma City because of the Hurricane factor.

sgt. pepper
04-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I spoke to someone close to this project and he said that it is 100% happening, and that he knows for sure that VISA is considering moving it's credit card processing facility from Houston to this facility in Oklahoma City because of the Hurricane factor.
That is exciting, too bad Visa is only considering, and not IS. Did they say how many jobs this will bring in?

sethsrott
04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
he mentioned 300 jobs but I cannot swear that will be all...

mmonroe
04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Even Google likes oklahoma... why not.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-22-2008, 03:09 AM
I hope they need server dudes....

*crosses fingers*

MadMonk
04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I hope they need server dudes....

*crosses fingers*
HAHA! I was thinking the same thing. :D

Nextlevel
04-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Are you close to someone at VISA?

sethsrott
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
No, I was talking to one of the people assisting the developers, and he doesn't want me to give his name out, or else I would give ya'll his name and let you check it out.