View Full Version : OKC's "weekend" lake?

BG918
04-10-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm originally from Tulsa and there many people would leave the city in the summer to go to the lake. Grand was really popular, as were Keystone, Ft. Gibson, Skiatook, and Tenkiller. Where do most people in OKC go? I live in Norman and know people who like Thunderbird. It also seems a lot like to go to either Texoma or Eufaula. What is your favorite and why?

yukong
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
As of right now...just about anywhere in OKC. I now have a lake in my front yard.

John
04-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Eufaula, Murray, or Grand

kevinpate
04-10-2008, 04:32 AM
Lots of people seem to hang out at Draper, some permanently.

Architect2010
04-10-2008, 05:22 AM
lol ^^^

Draper is icky...no.

Me and my friends go to Arcadia, Eufala, and Thunderbird

bornhere
04-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I used to go to Arcadia regularly before they closed most of the shoreline to swimming. I understand the reason for doing that, but my ex and I had found a great swimming/wading area away from the crowded set-aside beaches which we really liked.

My ex really loved Eufala, but it's too far away, as far as I'm concerned, for a weekend trip.

betts
04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
We go to Texoma, because we have a sailboat there. It's not really that bad a drive at all if you go for the weekend. It's a great lake. I also really like Tenkiller, and Lake Murray, but they're not really sailing lakes.

Midtowner
04-10-2008, 06:57 AM
My folks go to Murray.

-- but they can afford the gas. Due to gas prices, I'm guessing most OKC people stay close.

metro
04-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Hefner is OKC's true lake. It's probably used more on average for it's reacreational purposes more than boating purposes. It's in the heart of OKC and is clean and provides nice golf, sailing, and trail amenities.

kevinpate
04-10-2008, 07:27 AM
All that metro says for hefner is true. The few times I've visited in the day hours, I've found it a tad crowded for my tastes. However, I happen to have a strong aversion to crowds and it doesn't take hordes for me to feel crowded and just move on to do something else..

Doug Loudenback
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Ft. Cobb Lake south of El Reno is quite a nice lake. It's not muddy like Eufaula, etc., has a pretty much undeveloped shoreline, a small golf course.

bombermwc
04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Well most Oklahoma lake water is nasty, so pick your mud and go with it. Just bleach your clothes when you get home...lol.

Seriously, Draper really isn't bad. It's big enough that you don't have to worry about running into anyone. Yeah t-bird is bigger, but it's really really gross. Just push the dead bodies out of the way at Draper and youre fine..HAHAHAHHA

I'm a personal fan of Tinkiller, but it's a long way.

All depends on what activitity you are looking for. Remeber to check because some lakes don't allow either swimming or boats....mostly the municpal ones.

CuatrodeMayo
04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
When I was younger, we always vacationed at Tenkiller. One of the more beautiful lakes in the state. 2 3/4 hours from Edmond, if I remember correctly. We knew lots of people from OKC who had places there. I usually avoid lakes in Central Oklahoma besides Hefner.

kevinpate
04-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm not a big western side of Tbird fan, not since the weekend I realized I no longer owned enough firepower to comfortably camp there anymore. Day trips and walks are still ok, but I don't choose to overnight there.

I miss tenkiller and ought to haul myself back there more often. it really is not that far.

okcpulse
04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Lake Texoma and Lake Murray, when I am not at Lake Hefner.

jbrown84
04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
We have a family cabin at Eufala, and make at least one weekend trip out there in the summer. Used to go to Arcadia for the ocassional cookout, but not so much anymore. Have also been to a lot of other lakes, but Eufala the most.