View Full Version : $20 Million training facility to be built at Will Rogers

metro
04-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Federal agency to launch $20M training facility at OKC airport
Journal Record
April 9, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – The U.S. Customs and Border Protection department will dedicate a $20 million national training facility for its air and marine division at Will Rogers World Airport on Friday, officials said.

The department deploys the world’s largest law enforcement air force for immigration and contraband laws and homeland security, customs spokesman Eric Blum said. More than 700 pilots and 260 aircraft are needed to patrol the country’s borders, as well as airspace extending to Central America. Many of those people pass through Oklahoma City – more than 250 customs personnel attend training courses in the city annually, including about 230 pilot applicants in 2007.

Federal officials estimate the training center, which has been operating from temporary offices at Wiley Post Airport, contributed to more than $10.5 million to the local economy last year. Customs and Border Protection already has about 30 regular employees and the same number of contract workers at the center. The project, which took about 18 months to complete, consolidates the agency’s local offices and triples the Department of Homeland Security’s available training space in Oklahoma City.

The new center at 5600 Air Cargo Rd. has about 67,500 square feet, nearly 40,000 of which is hangar space. Although marine activities are part of the division’s name, the Will Rogers center will deal only with flight training, Blum said.

Air interdiction agents – also known as pilots, Blum said – will make good use of the facility’s multipurpose training room and rooms for flight planning, night-vision goggle training and student briefing. The increased space will allow customs to meet projected increases in training and standardization requirements. A training helicopter and several surveillance planes will be kept in the center’s hangar. Each student requires a lot of aviation equipment and several instructors. Training for airborne interceptions, for example, involves not only the trainee aircraft, but the practice suspect craft as well, officials said. Courses typically run from three days to four weeks.

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labscustoms%20plane.jpg

A Citation C550 sits in the hangar of the CBP Air and Marine’s new national training facility on Tuesday at Will Rogers World Airport. (Photo by Jennifer Pitts)

kevinpate
04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
either it's already built, or I need to go back for another visit with Evelyn :)

johnnyincog
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
after reading the title i thought this thread was about the nba practice facility. will rogers seemed an odd location.

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
LOL, I just read this last night on Will Rogers WA page, flyokc.com and thought about posting it.

windowphobe
04-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Omigod, twenty million dollars! What will the taxpayers think?

SouthsideSooner
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
after reading the title i thought this thread was about the nba practice facility. will rogers seemed an odd location.

LOL, I thought the same thing.....

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I think this may be covered by the DoD, i'm not completely sure on that though.

metro
04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Omigod, twenty million dollars! What will the taxpayers think?

the outrage!:numchucks

Jen at Airports
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Senator Inhofe and Congresswoman Fallin will cut the ribbon tomorrow. A media advisory was sent out from Washington D.C./CBP Public Affairs today. The news release will be distributed tomorrow. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow afternoon of the event on flyokc.com.

metro
04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Fallin sure does like to cut those ribbons!

sgt. pepper
04-11-2008, 09:52 AM
I hope she cuts so many ribbons in OKC that her fingers get sore. The more ribbons gets cut, the more jobs will follow.

solitude
04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Fallin sure does like to cut those ribbons!

She belongs in the Congress like I belong in the cockpit of a 747. (I've never flown a plane.)

kevinpate
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
The majority of voters in her district clearly disagree. I offer no opinion as to whether the majority of the folks who voted, nor 100% of those who were eligible but decided not to participate, qualify as well informed or sheeple.