View Full Version : Cuban

Easy180
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
**DALLAS -- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Tuesday he will vote against the Sonics' proposed relocation to Oklahoma City.

Sonics owner Clay Bennett has filed a relocation request with the NBA and a subcommittee of three NBA owners plans to recommend approval when all 30 owners vote on the Sonics' request on April 18.

A simple majority of the 30-member board is required to receive approval.**

Cause for concern?...Nah

Will help the Dallas-OKC rivalry for sure..Probably a good move for him even though he knows he will be one of the only ones voting no

okclee
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Screw Cuban and the loser Mavs. He doesn't want to lose Okc as part of his TV market. Just like everyone else in the sports world , always looking out for number 1.

Does Cuban even know why the Sonics are filing for relocation?? He probably doesn't , he does know that he has tens of thousands of Mav fans located in the state of Okla. that he will most likely be losing out on. Especially if his team continues to under achieve and he keeps making stupid trades. (I still laugh that he let Steve Nash go to Phoenix ).

I really hope the Mavs miss out on the playoffs this year.

OKCMallen
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Mavs did just fine without Nash last year. Sometimes you have to give somehting big to make a better team.

metro
04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Exactly, forget Cuban, he's been taking our money for years and he knows it. Maybe we'd finally get to take some of Texas's for a change. It would definitely make a good rivalry and let our southern neighbor know we've arrived.

sgt. pepper
04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I have to admit i'm not a huge basketball fan, but definitely a supporter of an OKC NBA team, but i thought the Mavs had a really, really good team. And it would makes sense him (Dallas) voting no. i only went to two Hornet games, but i they were probably the best two sport games i have been two...just awsome.

kevinpate
04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
If I had a team in Dallas, and a few million folk within an easy day's drive did not have a team, I wouldn't be eager to see someone else come in either. Not exactly the same concept as two pharm-barns trying to land catter corner at every opportunity.

windowphobe
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
In defense of Cuban, he did seem concerned about the ability of this market to support a team, but that "Dustbowl" remark irked me. Of the five teams in the Southwest, only the Mavs and the Spurs have any claim to aridity; New Orleans, Houston and Memphis are downright damp at times.

I figure there will be two dissenting votes when the whole league is counted, one of which will be Cuban's.

okclee
04-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Mavs did just fine without Nash last year. Sometimes you have to give somehting big to make a better team.

Although they did have a good regular season record last year, they also got knocked out of the first round of the playoffs last year too.

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
And to think I ever supported the Mav's....

Laramie
04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Cuban doesn't want the competition or the rivalry.

Just imagine an Oklahoma City NBA team with a rivalry more intense than Dallas' rivalry with Houston or San Antonio.

There are a lot of San Antonio Spurs fans here in OKC, when they closed Kelley Air Force based a good number of them relocated. They don't like Dallas or Cuban for that matter.

I noticed when the Hornets played the Spurs the crowd appeared to me to be 1/3 cheering the Spurs.

Cuban has the whole Southwest-Midwest Market to himself.

Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Wichita, KS and Topeka (Since there are no teams in KC or St. Louis) will follow an OKC NBA because of the proximity.

You also have to understand that there are "Okies" (people who left Oklahoma) in all of these cities. The tv market potential for an NBA team in Oklahoma City could far exceed expectations when you include these areas.

Let us look at these figures.

TV Households:

Oklahoma City 676,850

Tulsa 519,820

Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR 289,080

Little Rock-Pine Bluff, AR 552,400

Amarillo 191,930

Wichita Falls, TX-Lawton, OK 152,310

Wichita-Hutchinson, KS 446,520

Topeka, KS 171,010

These cities are closer in proximity to Oklahoma City than Dallas.

This market alone not counting the state of OKLAHOMA ( Estimated: 2.3 million households), represents another 1.8 million TV households conservatively swelling the potential market to 4.1 million; that puts us between Chicago
(3,469,110) and Los Angeles (5,647,440).

The potential is there and with a name change, new memorobilia to sell and a competitive or championship team, Oklahoma City's image and support could swallow the midwest.

Source: DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/US_HH_by_DMA.asp)

Laramie
04-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Cuban doesn't want the competition or the rivalry.

Just imagine an Oklahoma City NBA team with a rivalry more intense than Dallas' rivalry with Houston or San Antonio.

There are a lot of San Antonio Spurs fans here in OKC, when they closed Kelley Air Force based a good number of them relocated. They don't like Dallas or Cuban for that matter.

I noticed when the Hornets played the Spurs the crowd appeared to me to be 1/3 cheering the Spurs.

Cuban has the whole Southwest-Midwest Market to himself.

Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Wichita, KS and Topeka (Since there are no teams in KC or St. Louis) will follow an OKC NBA because of the proximity.

You also have to understand that there are "Okies" (people who left Oklahoma) in all of these cities. The tv market potential for an NBA team in Oklahoma City could far exceed expectations when you include these areas.

Let us look at these figures.

TV Households:

Oklahoma City 676,850

Tulsa 519,820

Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR 289,080

Little Rock-Pine Bluff, AR 552,400

Amarillo 191,930

Wichita Falls, TX-Lawton, OK 152,310

Wichita-Hutchinson, KS 446,520

Topeka, KS 171,010

These cities are closer in proximity to Oklahoma City than Dallas.

This market alone not counting the state of OKLAHOMA ( Estimated: 2.3 million households), represents another 1.8 million TV households conservatively swelling the potential market to 4.1 million; that puts us between Chicago
(3,469,110) and Los Angeles (5,647,440).

The potential is there and with a name change, new memorobilia to sell and a competitive or championship team, Oklahoma City's image and support could swallow the midwest.

Source: DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/US_HH_by_DMA.asp)

jbrown84
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Well in fairness to Chicago and LA, if you are going to include neighboring cities in the region for our market, you have to do the same for them. But your argument stands.

mmonroe
04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Cuban is a billionaire.. what does he have to worry about...

andy157
04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Cuban is a billionaire.. what does he have to worry about...Becoming a Millionaire.

mmonroe
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Becoming a millionaire? He's a BILLIONaire.

kevinpate
04-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Whooossssssh (n) -
the sound of a sarcastic point sailing past one's head.

andy157
04-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Whooossssssh (n) -
the sound of a sarcastic point sailing past one's head.And the sad part is, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

andy157
04-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Becoming a millionaire? He's a BILLIONaire.Sorry, I should have said, becoming a Multi-Millionaire.

jbrown84
04-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I understood it.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Same here....

mmonroe
04-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Well I don't get it. Maybe you could explain, and while you're at it andy, you can quit following me around on threads and quoting me and adding bs to the end. How's that?

andy157
04-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Well I don't get it. Maybe you could explain, and while you're at it andy, you can quit following me around on threads and quoting me and adding bs to the end. How's that?I'm not quite sure that there is an explaination as to why you didn't get it. By the way. I'm responding, not following. Don't flatter yourself. How's that?

flintysooner
04-15-2008, 06:57 AM
It's like the old joke.
Question: How do you make a small fortune?
Answer: Start with a large one.

Usually advice given to people who want to own restaurants and sports franchises among other business ventures.

jbrown84
04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
He's a billionaire, so what he has to worry about is becoming a millionaire--in other words, lots of money.

mmonroe
04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Everything else aside, i'm glad to see the Dallas Mav's get whooped last night.

Concord Monitor Online - AP Headlines (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_MAVERICKS_SUPERSONICS?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

dai
07-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Yep, the Mavs is another team that I can't wait to boo. Simply because of Cuban.

Dallas seems like our most obvious rival, but I really want to see our boys and the Grizzlies develop a heated rivalry.