View Full Version : Top five crimes in OKC

OKCCrime
04-08-2008, 12:03 AM
What do you think are the top five crimes in OKC?

We already discussed DUIs (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-underground/12539-most-likely-get-caught-dui-near-okc-bars.html), that isn't it. Also, we're talking criminal not civil offenses, so speeding and many other traffic violations are out.

I'll give you the answer after a few good guesses.

OKCCrime
---
Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://okccrime.com/)

Dustbowl
04-08-2008, 12:11 AM
What do you think are the top five crimes in OKC?

We already discussed DUIs (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-underground/12539-most-likely-get-caught-dui-near-okc-bars.html), that isn't it. Also, we're talking criminal not civil offenses, so speeding and many other traffic violations are out.

I'll give you the answer after a few good guesses.

OKCCrime
---
Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://okccrime.com/)

Cockfighting
Pitbull fighting
Any activity at the State Capitol
Wife beating
Believing most anything posted about all the new businesses moving to the Big League City..........

OKCCrime
04-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Cockfighting
Pitbull fighting
Any activity at the State Capitol
Wife beating
Believing most anything posted about all the new businesses moving to the Big League City..........

I said good guesses, not troll droppings!

PennyQuilts
04-08-2008, 04:39 AM
One thing I noticed when I moved back east to the big city is that, population-wise, there is a lot less petty crime. People leave stuff on their porch and it actually isn't stolen. In Oklahoma, I just assume if it is left out, someone is going to steal it.

BailJumper
04-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Anything drug related (possession, dealing, paraphernalia).

kevinpate
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Vandalism (tagging, rock related breakage, air pistol pellets to windows, mailboxes and such)
Possession relating to alcohol (like above, more than one variety)
Concealing stolen property
Burglary of non-occupied structures

Not what the local talking heads would report, but that's not their job

Karried
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Anything Theft related ....

I watched a movie KiteRunner, recently that mentioned that all crimes are theft ... (kill someone - steal life, adultery - steal wife, lie - steal the right to truth... or something like that) but I think most crimes in OKC are related to stealing people's property.

OKCCrime
04-08-2008, 08:46 PM
You are all very perceptive.

If you limit consideration to the top five most frequent offenses, which total around 20% of all offenses, the percentage breakdown is as follows:

35% BURGLARY (Good guess East Coast Okie, Kevinpate and Karried!)
28% VEHICLE LARCENY (No wonder car insurance is so expensive)
14% DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (Dustbowl wasn't a total troll after all)
13% PUBLIC DRUNKENNESS (Go Bricktown!)
10% DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY (Kevinpate got this one)

Here are the next five most frequent:

Assault and Battery
Larceny
Mental Health Intervention
Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol
Possessing a Controlled Substance (BailJumper, I thought this would be higher too)

OKCCrime
---
Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://okccrime.com)

mmonroe
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Uh.. you didn't even give a day for everyone to guess. I was going to go with Assault and Theft.

OKCCrime
04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Uh.. you didn't even give a day for everyone to guess. I was going to go with Assault and Theft.

Ah, sorry! Anyway, you were right on the money!

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 12:52 PM
You can always count on people wanting something they can't have and people always getting mad at each other. So they steal and they fight.

dismayed
04-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Interesting. I would have thought that something like writing a hot check would have appeared on that list somewhere.

OKCCrime
04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Interesting. I would have thought that something like writing a hot check would have appeared on that list somewhere.

Uttering Forged Instrument accounts for approximately .3% of all crime reports. Maybe it happens much more often than is detected and an offender identified and prosecuted.

PennyQuilts
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
You can always count on people wanting something they can't have and people always getting mad at each other. So they steal and they fight.

And while the two men are fighting a third man is sparking up one of the wives of the first two ...

PennyQuilts
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Uttering Forged Instrument accounts for approximately .3% of all crime reports. Maybe it happens much more often than is detected and an offender identified and prosecuted.

Lots of times a family member helps themselves to grandma's checkbook and she either doesn't know it or won't prosecute.

A scary thing for you guys if you are ever faced with a very sick loved one who is under the care of hospice - MAKE SURE that you keep the pain medication under lock and key. I've had a number of clients who admit they are drug addicts and who are also home health aides. They steal the medicine that goes to cancer patients (they don't admit it but will look you in the eye without blinking and say they don't want to discuss it ...). Having lost a mother to cancer last year, I think there should be a special place in hell for anyone who would steal pain medication (and perhaps replace it with a placebo) from a cancer patient.

kevinpate
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Perhaps because merchants send checks directly to DA office bad checks division. These folks send out letters saying come in, bring your dobbers, pay the 'you've been bad, or you made an error, but either way, we collect and we aren't filing on ya' fee, and all will be well in the cornfields of paradise again. The alternative is they will send it across the office and charges can be filed and a warrant can be issued, making for a terrible horrible no good very bad kind of day.

mmonroe
04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Speaking of checks, there have been some disappearing check bandit's lately up in the Tulsa area writing checks with disappearing ink.

solitude
04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Lots of times a family member helps themselves to grandma's checkbook and she either doesn't know it or won't prosecute.

A scary thing for you guys if you are ever faced with a very sick loved one who is under the care of hospice - MAKE SURE that you keep the pain medication under lock and key. I've had a number of clients who admit they are drug addicts and who are also home health aides. They steal the medicine that goes to cancer patients (they don't admit it but will look you in the eye without blinking and say they don't want to discuss it ...). Having lost a mother to cancer last year, I think there should be a special place in hell for anyone who would steal pain medication (and perhaps replace it with a placebo) from a cancer patient.

Great point, East Coast Okie. This very thing happened to friends of ours who hired a hospice for his mother. I'm glad you brought this up. It happens probably a lot more than any of us would care to know about. Sad you have to worry about this kind of thing with so much else going on when a loved one is dying.

baybay4ev
04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
What's funny to me about theft is people pay alot for nice houses, secure neighborhoods but it seems to me, that is where more crime happens. Makes sense theft wise, but about a year and a half ago I was living in what I would call very unsafe, ghetto apartments. I didn't feel very safe but nothing ever happened to me or my stuff. I went to this supremely expensive housing edition, I was inside the house for less than fifteen minutes just to pick someone up and my window was busted out and purse stolen just like that, even parked in the driveway while there were many cars along the street. Everything was locked and well lit. It's definitely a feeling of personal violation when someone, who will never be caught, takes a part of you just like that!!