View Full Version : Bella Vista Italian

eataroundokc.com
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Anyone ever tried Bella Vista Italian restaurant at 5801 S. Western. I tried it over the weekend on the recommendation of a friend at work and it's a real hidden gem. I'm sure I'll be writing a full review on my restaurant website (http://www.eataroundokc.com) soon, but I thought I'd pitch it out here first.

It's nothing fancy, but it's family home cooked Italian. Very casual, but oh so fresh. Everything made daily by hand. Meatballs slow cooked for four hours each day. I had spaghetti with meatballs and when the plate came out piping hot the aroma of fresh vegetables from was overwhelming. The sauce is smooth and light and oh so good, not sugary and rich like you get a lot of fancier places.

At lunch they have a special $6.95 for any pasta with salad and bread. The bread is homemade, crunchy outside and melt in your mouth inside. The salad dressing are homemade as well. I had the Italian and it was so fresh and light. They say they use their own special olive oil. It was very good.

It's truly a mom and pop Italian. I've not tried anything like it in the city so far.

lpecan
04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Any insight as to what else was on the menu? After a quick search, it seems to get great reviews, though I've never heard of it.

kevinpate
04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Definitely sounds like a place to try. The info is appreciated as this is a new venue to me.

eataroundokc.com
04-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Any insight as to what else was on the menu?

Yeah, there's a list of standard pastas. Spaghetti with Marinara, Spaghetti Arrabiata (which looked really good), Spaghetti with Meatballs, I think there was Fettucini Alfredo but I'm a big red-sauce guy so I didn't pay much attention to the creme stuff. There are probably 8-10 standard pasta options. You can get any one of them as a part of the lunch special. Oh, I think chicken parmesan was one of the standard options.

Then, they have the "specialties." Someone at the next table got chicken Marsala and it looked really good. The waitress was telling them that it is sweeter than most people expect. I'd have to look at the menu to remember the rest. I have a to go menu at home.

They also have a big selection of appetizers, salads, and a few desserts. The menu was pretty extensive, but basic, you know. Like, most every pasta is Spaghetti -- not 10 fancy varieties of noodles. I liked it. So simple yet so good.

I'll give a more complete look when I get the chance to review the menu and write it up on my blog.

lpecan
04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
That's intersting. I really don't like arrabbiata, but its super common in Italy, and not very common in mom and pop shops here. So its definitely not a NY Pizza, spaghetti and meatballs joint that we are all so tired of here in the states. I'll definitely have to check it out. I'll post when I do! If the do it all'amatriciana I'll really owe you one! By the way, I love your site!

okclee
04-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Eataround, Great website you have. I really like the Shady restaurant section. Keep up the good work!!

eataroundokc.com
04-07-2008, 03:06 PM
@Ipecan, this place is definitely not the NY Pizza, spaghetti and meatballs joint. Though, now that you mention pizza, I do think I remember they had pizzas on the menu, but it wasn't their main thing by any means and I never saw anyone order one. I'm telling you, this place is very different.

I'll admit had to look up all'amatriciana so you've definitely got more Italian experience than me. I look forward to hearing your impressions if you get out to try them.

@Ipecan and okclee -- thanks for the kind words on the site. I will post to this thread when I get my review up about Bella Vista. I'm dying to write it I've just got to find the time!!

ad47aw
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I wondered why nobody else knew about this place. I guarantee you on a Friday, they are very busy, so at least the locals know about it. I think their food is great!

bkm645
04-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I tried it a while back and I got the fettucini alfredo. It was very different, they had mashed potatos mixed with the sauce. It was a very thick sause, it started off good, but as it cooled it got thicker and it was like eating alfredo mashed potatos. I have been to lots of Italian places across this country and I have never had alfredo sauce like that. Maybe I should go back and try something else.

But, they did clean it up nicely from when the pet shop was there. The pet shop always seemed very dark and with all the creatures it was a weird experience.

eataroundokc.com
04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I just posted the full review of this place on my blog if you want to check it out:

Bella Vista: a hidden gem in southwest Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/bella-vista-a-hidden-gem-in-southwest-oklahoma-city/)

selk1
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
My wife and I went for dinner on Monday or Tuesday evening last week. We both order the chicken alla paramigiano with a salad. The salad was simple but very tasty. The chicken alla paramigiano was good for the first few bites, but then the taste of the enormous amount of cheese (maybe a pound of cheese) began to overcome all other taste. The cheese was sticking to my fork after taking a bite.

If I go back, I would try the pizza or calzone. The decor was as stated "humble".

warreng88
11-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Completely forgot to post about this, but they closed for good in May. Sad, one of my favorite restaurants in the metro. Just the food, not the ambiance or service...

Jeepnokc
11-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Completely forgot to post about this, but they closed for good in May. Sad, one of my favorite restaurants in the metro. Just the food, not the ambiance or service...

I spoke with Milt last week and he said they were in process of moving back to Greece.

Thomas Vu
11-17-2018, 11:31 PM
This place was indeed a hidden gem. Having said that I thought their menu was too big, and the portions were massive. Not that those are bad things.