View Full Version : construction at NW 6th and Walker

metro
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I've been noticing this pad site for awhile at the NE corner of NW 6th and Walker downtown (in what is becoming the Walker Ave. district). They cleared the pad site a few weeks ago and it appears they are doing some pier or foundation work. Anyone know what is going in here?

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=N+Walker+Ave+%26+NW+4th+St,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73 102,+USA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image)

mecarr
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I've been noticing this pad site for awhile at the NE corner of NW 4th and Walker downtown (in what is becoming the Walker Ave. district). They cleared the pad site a few weeks ago and it appears they are doing some pier or foundation work. Anyone know what is going in here?

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=N+Walker+Ave+%26+NW+4th+St,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73 102,+USA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image)

you mean at 6th and walker? Your topic header said 6th and walker, but in the body of the message you said 4th and walker...i have noticed something going on at 6th and walker, on the east side. Was something there before?

metro
04-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I can't remember if there was something there before. If you look at the Google Satelitte image I linked to, you will see a small brick type building there. If I remember right it was torn down in the last year or two. This was a vacant field for the last few months for sure with grass and maybe some parts of the foundation remaining from the previous building. Anyhow as you've noticed, they've leveled the dirt and started doing some sort of foundation work.

Okay, I did some digging, looks like Communications Federal Credit Union owns it. Not sure if they are the lender and holding the title or if they are building a location. I found this picture taken recently on March 20th from the county assessor:

BEFORE:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2729/R010019484001zA.jpg

NOW:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2729/R010019484001uA.jpg

mecarr
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I have no idea what they're building there, but they must have cleared it down for a reason.

trison
04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I hear a credit union is being built on the site.

mecarr
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM

hmm...exciting

metro
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Quite possible. As I mentioned above, the county assessor says Communications Credit Union owns the land.

windowphobe
04-07-2008, 06:01 PM
That credit union used to have a branch at that location. (There were lots of Bell employees at 707 N Robinson, now DEQ, and at the Central High School building.)

Dar405301
04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
it was the old Communication branch. i was a member there when i lived in Oklahoma

metro
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
I think we've established it was a Communications Federal Credit Union, the County Assessor's website proved that. There was no recent transaction recorded, it's all been many years ago. It's possible they are just building a new, more modern location.

metro
06-03-2008, 11:02 AM
My theory proved right. CFCU still owns and occupies the building next door (east). By the dirtwork it appeared as if they were only adding a section about 6-8 feet in width and connecting to the adjacent buiding. At that point, my assumption was that they were knocking out part of their west wall and creating a drive through. Drove by last night and the steel framework is up, it's definitely going to be a drivethru for the bank. Too bad such a prime corner lot in an up and coming district is going to be nothing more than a drive thru bank.

Spartan
06-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I've been noticing this pad site for awhile at the NE corner of NW 6th and Walker downtown (in what is becoming the Walker Ave. district). They cleared the pad site a few weeks ago and it appears they are doing some pier or foundation work. Anyone know what is going in here?

Don't ever say Walker Avenue District again. You're not clever enough to start naming your own districts. It's on the border between the Arts District and MidTown.

metro
06-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Walker Avenue District,

heck I was calling MidTown MidTown before Banta bought his properties for his "renaissance". Truth is, MidTown has a much larger footprint than Banta's areas, he's just the one profiting off all of it and trying to brand his area MidTown. Same goes for Deep Deuce, I was calling it that when most everyone was (and the Hill at "Bricktown") still is calling it Bricktown. It's Deep Deuce, celebrate the history of the area for crying out loud.

Spartan
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I was just yanking your chain metro, I've got no problem with you. =)

andy157
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Walker Avenue District,

heck I was calling MidTown MidTown before Banta bought his properties for his "renaissance". Truth is, MidTown has a much larger footprint than Banta's areas, he's just the one profiting off all of it and trying to brand his area MidTown. Same goes for Deep Deuce, I was calling it that when most everyone was (and the Hill at "Bricktown") still is calling it Bricktown. It's Deep Deuce, celebrate the history of the area for crying out loud.

Metro. I agree. Now lets stick with that same thought process, that is of celebrating the past history of a certain geographical area of this City. And thus by doing so we refer to it and/or call it, by it's original name.

I have a question. Once the areas along the river are completed, and that dream has become reality, will those, are better yet, should those areas be referred to as the "Flats, Sand Town, and Muligan Flats" areas or districts of town? Your thoughts.

metro
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Good thoughts andy, I'm not sure. I've never heard of Sand Town. Muligan Flats sounds decent, Riverside (I imagine this one will stick). I seriously doubt enough people will stick with flats or sandtown, despite any historical references. I don't personally know enough about these neglected areas to know if they have any historical significance. Obviously, downtown, MidTown, Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce have historical significance to our city. From what I can tell, Flats, SandTown, etc. were the neglected parts of our city. One name that might make a comeback is Delmar or Delmar Gardens since it was our once famous theme park on the river.