View Full Version : Redhawks add Oklahoma City to name.

okclee
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
With all of the Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma City talk with the NBA. Maybe this is an indication that the NBA will choose Oklahoma City.

Hot dog! It's been 10 years RedHawks celebrate anniversary with promotions drawing attention to state's baseball heritage | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/article/3223549/1207018983)

By Bob Hersom
Staff Writer
Win or lose on the field, RedHawks management intends to have a historic 2008 season at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark.
After all, it is the 10th anniversary of The Brick and the RedHawks, as both debuted in 1998.

"We're very excited about the 10th anniversary, and we're going to draw attention to the facility with the kind of events we're going to have,” said RedHawks managing general partner Scott Pruitt, noting last Friday's Major League Baseball exhibition game between the Rangers and White Sox and the Dave Matthews Band concert in August.

"You don't see those kinds of events every year,” Pruitt said. "And we'll be more historical and baseball-centric in our promotions. We're introducing some special bobbleheads and commemorative pieces to draw attention to our Oklahoma heritage in baseball.”

A Mickey Mantle "Commerce Comet” bobblehead and Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench statuettes will be among the commemorative pieces. On June 21, Nolan Ryan will be at The Brick, when replicas of his Hall of Fame plaque will be given away.

Because Oklahoma City taxpayers built The Brick a decade ago, the ballclub is also having an Oklahoma City logo designed and manufactured by Studio Simon, a Louisville company that has also designed Super Bowl and Dodger Stadium logos.

"We're going to do an OKC logo to commemorate the 10th anniversary, and we're going to unveil in April or May,” Pruitt said. "We will wear the OKC logo at different times during the season to celebrate what the fans did 10 years ago.”

The value of season tickets has never been higher. In addition to 72 RedHawks home games, the season tickets include: last Friday's Rangers-White Sox exhibition game, the Oklahoma-Oklahoma State game, free year-round parking in Bricktown, the Dave Matthews Band concert on Aug. 13 and a Jeremy Camp concert on April 6.

"We're going to do some branding of the beauty of the ballpark,” Pruitt said, "and what it means to Oklahoma City to be have one of only 30 Triple-A baseball teams in the country.”

The RedHawks also are introducing all-you-can-eat seats. There are 900 of them, on the third-base-line bleachers. The all-you-can-seats sold out for the major league exhibition game. The seats will cost $20 during the regular season and include unlimited hot dogs, popcorn, nachos, peanuts, soft drinks and cotton candy.

"They're great seats, right there on the line,” Pruitt said. "They've been so popular that someone called in and asked if you can buy an all-you-can-seat season ticket. So we're trying to develop that.”

CuatrodeMayo
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
So it's not actually a name change.

John
04-01-2008, 04:31 PM
So it's not actually a name change.

Exactly. It's much like them wearing the 'throwback' 89ers uniforms on Sundays last year.

Pete
04-01-2008, 07:46 PM
What were they thinking in the first place?

There is at least a flimsy argument for a broad-based geographic name in major league sports, but AAA baseball?

Were they trying to reach out to all those Tulsans that are excited to drive two additional hours to see a minor league team one notch up from their own?

Was this a Bob Funk decision?

metro
08-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Redhawks drop bombshell with drastic name change
Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) – The name of one of Oklahoma’s minor-league baseball teams will be changed to include the word “city.”

Oklahoma RedHawks managing partner Scott Pruitt announced Thursday that the team will become the Oklahoma City RedHawks.

The team also will unveil a new color scheme for its uniforms and merchandise and a new logo. The RedHawks, a Triple-A team affiliated with the Texas Rangers, have used the same color scheme and logo since the team was founded 10 years ago.

The changes will be unveiled before the Triple-A championship game on Sept. 16.

kevinpate
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
drinking the kool-aid and eating the tacos and everything old is new again, well, almost. they kept the Redhawks part :)

westsidesooner
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
redhawks new logo and colors Oklahoma RedHawks: Fans (http://oklahoma.redhawks.milb.com/fans/page.jsp?ymd=20080915&content_id=458357&vkey=fans_t238&fext=.jsp&sid=t238)

betts
09-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I liked the old logo with the Redhawk better than the new one with the hawk, but the others without it have a throwback feel to them and look good.

Thunder
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm happy that they decided to name it Oklahoma City Redhawks. I wonder what the Tulsans have to say about this? I can't wait when it comes a time when the national weather services start showing OKC over Oklahoma on the weather map instead of Tulsa. I don't see why they chose Tulsa over OKC.

For example, during the past Hurricane Ike coverages, all the media stations, when they was showing the map of all the states and big name cities, I had seen Tulsa, not OKC.

venture
09-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I doubt Tulsa's gives two sh--s about our Triple-A ball club.

OKCisOK4me
09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
I doubt Tulsa's gives two sh--s about our Triple-A ball club.

Just like I don't give two sh--s about their Triple-A ball club.

John
09-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Just like I don't give two sh--s about their Double-A ball club.

Fixed!

Thunder
09-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Eh, I view all the Pro baseball teams the same.

Redhawks is not in MLB? If not, then something isn't right. I'll still think of them being in MLB.

AAC2005
09-16-2008, 07:14 AM
For example, during the past Hurricane Ike coverages, all the media stations, when they was showing the map of all the states and big name cities, I had seen Tulsa, not OKC.

I definitely see your point, but in the case of Hurricane Ike, Tulsa was more in the path than OKC was. Also, and not to get too far off topic, a lady on the Weather Channel (Kelly Cass, I think) completely blew off the whole state at one point, saying something to the effect of "Ike will move through Texas and into Arkansas and Missouri later today"...uh, hello?:fighting3

okiebadger
09-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Just like I don't give two sh--s about their Triple-A ball club.

Isn't the Texas League double-A?

metro
09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
I like the throwback feel of the new look.

http://oklahoma.redhawks.milb.com/images/2008/09/15/Fl9HgCQE.gif

http://oklahoma.redhawks.milb.com/images/2008/09/15/QKW5jieA.gif

http://oklahoma.redhawks.milb.com/images/2008/09/15/72aVDwe9.gif

jbrown84
09-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Great new logo!

I can't wait when it comes a time when the national weather services start showing OKC over Oklahoma on the weather map instead of Tulsa. I don't see why they chose Tulsa over OKC.

Random as that was...

http://www.weather.com/web/forecast/us_wxlo2_large_usen_600.jpg

When they do put Tulsa instead of OKC, it's because they can't put the state name and OKC in the same spot. Purely an aesthetic thing.

metro
09-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh you mean like New York, even though the map above uses it for NYC? J/K

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I like the throwback feel of the new look...

I second this opinion.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-16-2008, 12:15 PM
...Redhawks is not in MLB? If not, then something isn't right. I'll still think of them being in MLB.

ummm.....what?

supersooner
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Who were the designers of the Logo? It looks like we are the COK Redhawks???? Most other logos like that have the first letter of the initials as the Larger letter. Same team that did the thunder logo??

CuatrodeMayo
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Then the logo would like it said Kansas City.

supersooner
09-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I think it would be easier to hide the "KC" with a big "O" than hide the "COK". unless we are all dyslexic.....

jbrown84
09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh you mean like New York, even though the map above uses it for NYC? J/K

No not like that. If you are putting "Oklahoma" on the state, it goes right in the middle and covers the spot that could otherwise have Oklahoma City labeled. Not the case with NYC at all.

jbrown84
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Who were the designers of the Logo? It looks like we are the COK Redhawks???? Most other logos like that have the first letter of the initials as the Larger letter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Yankees_logo.gif

Does that read "YN" to you as well?

supersooner
09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
If the N was considerable smaller like the O & K are, then yes it would look like YN. But as the N & Y are very close to the same size and they are the same color, It could go either way.
Human nature would depict it as NY, unless you have no clue what NY is or where that logo comes from you could go YN.

SoonerDave
09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Our natural tendency is to start reading everything left-to-right, so the first thing you're going to notice/observe is the "O", particularly because it is in sharp contrast to the background. Darker letters against a dark background, or a foreground item in relatively lower contrast to a background item, tend to be processed by the brain as having the same color as the background, so they naturally become processed on a secondary basis.

That's why the C is colored against a colored background, and the "OK" is white against the dark background; your eyes tend to be drawn to the "OK" first, and the "C" second. It's a very sound design, and I love the throwback aspect. I like it infinitely better than the Thunder's, in fact...

-SoonerDave

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
09-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Redhawks logo(s) > Thunder logo

I absolutely love the new colors and cant wait for the new unis.. The bird is the shizz too

OkieHornet
09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Who were the designers of the Logo? It looks like we are the COK Redhawks???? Most other logos like that have the first letter of the initials as the Larger letter. Same team that did the thunder logo??

sounds like someone's been reading the Lost Ogle again...

the designer was Dan Simon - Studio Simon (http://www.studiosimon.com)

supersooner
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
no, actually saw it in the oklahoman before and saw it on the ogle after this.
I do like it a lottttt more than the Thunder Logo and colors though, but that has been a majority answer.....
This is interesting too for the thunder logo (http://jamesrobertwatson.com/thunderlogo.html)