View Full Version : Lost Network Help!

Karried
03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Shut down upstairs computer last night.. it's networked to downstairs computer ( downstairs connecting fine to Internet).

Upstairs can't connect and Repair isn't working.

The most scary thing is that all of my Company files in our Accounting program can't be accessed.. "Company database cannot be found at the specified location" ( I use an offline back -up program but I can't even get the program to open at all because the computer can't locate the network)

Where did it go ? Maybe the network card became loose? The driver?

Should I do a system restore to it's last point? Would that help?

I've restarted it and ran the troubleshooter but there are no hardward conflicts - it just can't find the network.. help please.

Any suggestions?

kmf563
03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Sounds like Cox. That usually happens when power outages occur. Unplug your main digital line to the downstairs computer and then restart everything. That should resend the network signal. If that doesn't work, call them and they can at least narrow down the problem.

flintysooner
03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd try turning power off to everything including hubs and routers. If that doesn't do it then it very likely is a blown network card and/or hub and/or router - however you have it set up.

Karried
03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Do you think I should try to reinstall the driver for the network card? It appears that the computer can't locate the network.

The downstairs computer is fine.. the wireless is fine and Cox is working downstairs.. so that tells me it is some sort of wireless card issue or driver for the card? I think. I'm guessing here.

kmf563
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Ours used to do that Karrie. It would tell us it couldn't find the network and when we unplugged it all and resent the signal through the main computer, the network on our laptop would work again. But yeah, the main computer would work fine.

Martin
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
so this computer is hooked up wirelessly? do any other wireless devices find your network?

-M

Karried
03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure about that.....I just have this computer and the one upstairs linked for file sharing .. downstairs, Cox is working fine. Earlier, I unplugged the Linksys and the Cable Modem and let it recycle and then tried to restart upstairs again...

But, I'll go try it again.

bornhere
03-31-2008, 01:53 PM
If this still isn't working, open the web configuration for the router and make sure the wifi network is still turned on and hasn't been reset to its defaults.

Karried
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
bornhere, you are a genius. Yesterday I accidently turned the router off (button in front) .. but omg... I don't know any of the settings that were on the router before yesterday as it was set up for our Network and our XBox Live connection! Not the XBOX Live - noooooooooooooooooooooo! lol

Okay, anyway to roll back to what the settings were before the router went default?

Or did I blow it?

Karried
03-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks again bornhere.. I was able to get back online with Xbox but I fear I'll have to have another network set up again.. but you my friend, are a lifesaver and helped me pinpoint the problem. Thank you very much!

I went into my IP address and checked the router settings but I think it went default.. which is really amazing that there isn't a safety net for that. I see now that I could have saved my previous config but I didn't know to do so! ugh.

bornhere
03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Is this a WRT54G router?

Karried
03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
WRT54GS is it's name

Karried
04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Does anyone know if there is any way to get back my configurations from a few days ago?

Karried
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, after about an hour hold with Linksys.. they tell me - sorry, once you push the reset button on the front, it deletes all of your configurations and goes back to Default.

I blew it.

Hopefully, my network helper can save me and put everything back the way it was so I can get back to work.

Unfortunately, I can't access my accounting software where all of my tax info is stored..... crazy!

I can't believe there isn't a better safety feature to 'lock' the settings on the router.

MadMonk
04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
With the Linksys, there is an area on the web config page for backing up the configuration to a file so that you can store it somewhere in case you need it.

bornhere
04-01-2008, 01:23 PM
And getting the WiFi back on is pretty easy, especially if you have only one computer that need to access the network wirelessly.

Karried
04-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Thank you all... whew!

I finally got it back up and online! with the help of my good buddy ibda12u.. he is awesome at Networking.

That's a scary message - unable to open files or find path.. etc etc.

Yes, now I am going to save my Configuration in case I do something stupid again... not if, when!

ibda12u
04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Karried,

I never followed up, but I'm guessing you were able to get the Xbox connection back up?