View Full Version : I'm hating life

Karried
03-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Heavy sigh.. Tornado season.. Warnings again tonight.. hating it!

Will I EVER get used to this???

mmonroe
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
El Reno's getting the blunt of it right now.

Superhyper
03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Short answer: Yes, yes you will. In fact, many of us that have grown up here have come to look forward to it :D Okies are crazy, it's a fact.

Karried
03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I know, .... and now it's heading my way.. and I'm sort of scared. I really hate tornadoes especially at night .. I don't think I'll ever get used to this.

The lightning is crazy right now....

I'm sure it will be fine but you never know.

Intrepid
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Heavy sigh.. Tornado season.. Warnings again tonight.. hating it!

Will I EVER get used to this???

You'll eventually get used to all of this Karrie. Just be prepared is all I can advise.

Doug Loudenback
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Karrie, when I was a little kid living at my grandmother's house in Clinton (she had a cobweb filled "storm shelter" outside her back door), I used to dream of Oklahoma storms ... I think sometimes (in my dreams) that I could control them with some pre-digital-age-device.

Tonight, but for the TV being on in the next room, I wouldn't even be noticing ... but it's good to have the TV on in case harm comes this way ... but there's no emotional factor involved at all.

HOWEVER, Since you were NOT a kid growing up with this, you are probably doomed with emotional Oklahoma storm issues for the rest of your life! :dizzy:

Just kidding, girl! You'll be fine! :tiphat:

OH, WAIT ... WHAT'S THAT TRAIN NOISE I HEAR OUT MY WINDOW ... OH, NO ... NOT THAT ... ARRRG ... signing off ...

Karried
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
lol.. I am doomed!

I love this guy, but Rick Mitchell just freaks me out. It's like a car wreck, I can't stop watching!

Honestly, I am glad for the coverage but I wonder about it really freaking me out more than necessary... because, frankly, about now, I'm pretty freaked out!

Seriously, looking at this weather map.. it is heading right towards my house, with my sleeping kids upstairs....

I've just seen so much destruction in the media from tornados so I know they can do serious damage.

I actually worry about all of my friends here too!

The sirens just get my heart pounding like you'd never believe.

Doug Loudenback
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Take a deep breath and eat some green beans. That's what I'M doing!

shane453
03-31-2008, 12:01 AM
You really do come to love it... Or maybe it's something you have to be raised with your whole life in order to ever love it. I just think it's a great adrenaline rush to watch the emergency weather broadcasts during tornado season.

For a humorous spin, check out the Gary England Drinking Game. People who appreciate Gary and Val's storm coverage will find these instructions hilarious:

Ryan McGhee - Gary England Drinking Game (http://students.ou.edu/M/Robert.R.Mc-Ghee-1/)

mmonroe
03-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I never really was afraid until May 3rd, it really impacted my families life. We lost two great grandparents in midwest city, and my mother and I were seperated from the rest of the family which were huddled together in the path of the tornado. Thankfully no one was hurt, but still, i'll never forget that day, especially losing great grandparents.

Saberman
03-31-2008, 12:27 AM
For the most part larger cities are less likely to be hit by a tornado, but it does happen.

You can tell the weather guys really love this time of year. You can get pulled into their hypnotic web. I remember, as a kid I hated it when they always break in just when a show was getting good. Now they just stay on, everyone is wall to wall coverage.

yukong
03-31-2008, 12:51 AM
What I thought was great was tonight while watching Rick and Gary and the guy on 4, Cox kept interrupting the weather/severe storm reports with NWS warnings. I have never seen that before. Breaking into severe storm coverage to report severe storm coverage. Only in Oklahoma.

The TV stations spend more on their weather division than all the others put together. It is crazy.

But Karried...once you have been here for a while...it becomes almost a non-event. Tonight...they kept blowing the sirens here in my neighborhood. We turned on the TV just to make sure it wasn't coming our way..(and it wasn't) and we just went about our business. In fact...they just went off, and I'm going to bed. I just doesn't bother me anymore. I turn on the TV just to see where it is...and if it isn't about to hit my house...then I just don't worry. Been through too many of them to worry anymore. Never had my house hit...but I have been pretty close.

I worry more about the hail than I do tornados.

bandnerd
03-31-2008, 06:21 AM
You know, I wish they wouldn't "test" the sirens on Saturdays...those sirens went off last night and I was asleep, and immediately started dreaming that it was Saturday at noon.

Not until my husband came bursting through the door (he hadn't been watching but had stayed up just in case) did I wake up. I turned on the tv, saw it was more in my sister's hood, called her, he called his Edmond-dwelling parents, and I went to bed, knowing there was nothing I could do.

Not saying I slept much after that, but there was no immediate reason for me to freak out.

FRISKY
03-31-2008, 06:29 AM
No posts after 11:30 pm. The tornado must have ate her...

Karried
03-31-2008, 07:14 AM
lol.... I unplugged my computer... lightening strikes.

Okay, this one was toooo close for comfort. I live pretty close to area that a tornado touched down and destroyed some roofs..... I actually slept through the Hail ( which my husband said was really loud!) but woke up to the sirens and TV coverage and hubby saying ' it's headed right this direction' talk about a wake up call!

But, we didn't panic ( like I used to) ...

I listened to Rick, put on my helmet, sat in the closet and ate some green beans (based on Doug's recommendation).

He was right, I am fine!

lol.. I think I am getting a little more jaded.. it's taking more than an impending tornado to get me out of bed at 2:00am!

kevinpate
03-31-2008, 07:17 AM
I hear Ambien can silence a tornado siren :)

onthestrip
03-31-2008, 07:23 AM
The thing that I dont understand is it appears that if they need to sound one siren, then all of OKC siren must be sounded too. I live around OCU and the storm that they were sounding the sirens for was 10 miles to the north. I dont need to be awaken for that. Cant they locate a group of sirens in the vicinity of the tornado activity.

Doug Loudenback
03-31-2008, 07:31 AM
lol.... I unplugged my computer... lightening strikes.

Okay, this one was toooo close for comfort. I live pretty close to area that a tornado touched down and destroyed some roofs..... I actually slept through the Hail ( which my husband said was really loud!) but woke up to the sirens and TV coverage and hubby saying ' it's headed right this direction' talk about a wake up call!

But, we didn't panic ( like I used to) ...

I listened to Rick, put on my helmet, sat in the closet and ate some green beans (based on Doug's recommendation).

He was right, I am fine!

lol.. I think I am getting a little more jaded.. it's taking more than an impending tornado to get me out of bed at 2:00am!

Green beans work every time! :dizzy: But where did you get your special tornado hat? Sounds like something we should all have!

Karried
03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
But where did you get your special tornado hat?

That's an easy one... I use bubble wrap!
I have the visual of our family sitting in the closet eating green beans and happily popping the bubbles on our hats...

ahhhh, making memories ! lol

kmf563
03-31-2008, 08:03 AM
I went outside and watched the power flashes and saw all of Edmond lose power. Thought about you Karrie, and I actually envisioned you sitting in your closet with a mattress over your head. But you weren't eating green beans in my image. If that one didn't freak you out you will be okay. That was the closest one has been to your house since 1986.
I went to sleep with the tv on though because while watching the weather earlier that night, I already decided with the weather behavior and patterns there was no way it was going to stay moving in an Eastern direction. I knew it would be headed towards Guthrie. That makes night number 3 of no sleep for me.

metro
03-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Karrie, when I was a little kid living at my grandmother's house in Clinton (she had a cobweb filled "storm shelter" outside her back door), I used to dream of Oklahoma storms ... I think sometimes (in my dreams) that I could control them with some pre-digital-age-device.

Tonight, but for the TV being on in the next room, I wouldn't even be noticing ... but it's good to have the TV on in case harm comes this way ... but there's no emotional factor involved at all.

HOWEVER, Since you were NOT a kid growing up with this, you are probably doomed with emotional Oklahoma storm issues for the rest of your life! :dizzy:

Just kidding, girl! You'll be fine! :tiphat:

OH, WAIT ... WHAT'S THAT TRAIN NOISE I HEAR OUT MY WINDOW ... OH, NO ... NOT THAT ... ARRRG ... signing off ...

Doug, was that you I saw walking down Classen in a tinfoil hat with antenna last night?:dizzy:

Doug Loudenback
03-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Doug, was that you I saw walking down Classen in a tinfoil hat with antenna last night?:dizzy:
No ... my tornado hat is also made out of bubble-wrap, but no antenna.

otis
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Someboby needs to get that guy on channel 4 a really big cup of coffee and a chill pill. He is just to hyper. He needs to breath and slow down when he talks. You would think this mean ass tornado is going to suck up the whole state.

Hey, my son has ativan wonder if that would work.

I had to stop watching him, he was giving me a headache.

Otis

bornhere
03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Well, I slept through all of it. There was a tornado? When did the sirens go off?

Nawfside OKC
03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Short answer: Yes, yes you will. In fact, many of us that have grown up here have come to look forward to it :D Okies are crazy, it's a fact. I have been fascinated with tornadoes since I was a kid, and a supercell turned the sky completely dark green. It was rotating very low and passed right over my house. My mom was telling me to get in the house,but I was completely paralized by the sight.Now I see on CNN all of these people that pay thosands of dollars to come to Oklahoma to chase tornadoes......who knows karried maybe you can turn your fear into profit.

okcpulse
03-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Karried, just look at it from this perspective... the historic mansions that grace the streets of Midtown OKC have been around for close to 100 years, untouched by tornadoes. In my 27 years of of being raised in OKC, I never had to take cover.

I see you on XBOX 360 on occasion, but I usually don't play Halo because I am using the console as a juke box to sing to the babies. I just plug in my iPod and I am good to go. They have grown fond of The Fixx and Sting. Yes, I do sing nursery rhymes, but I am already all too familiar with the melodies from Nick Noggin and Wonder Pets.

FritterGirl
03-31-2008, 09:35 AM
I've been an OKCer almost all of my life, save a few post-college years when I deemed it time to travel and world and explore other places to live, which I did.

I grew up "around" tornadoes, or at least, around the possibility of tornadoes. I've been pulled out of bed by parents and thrown hastily in the sunken bathtub to be covered by mattesses (c. 1974). I've been pulled out of a dance recital because "the big one" was getting ready to take a direct hit at McGuinness High School (c. 1981) - that tornado never touched down). I watched from the 21st floor of "The Tower" on NW Expressway when the rain-wrapped May 3rd tornado laid siege to south OKC, west Moore and MWC. I bunkered down in a cold storage room in an Edmond Sonic one week before my wedding date with my now-husband and 8 1/2-months pregnant matron of honor, and listened to the radio as the weather announcer described the 2003 tornado passing right over the condo where I was then living. (long, but very very funny story).

I've succumbed to the "thrill of the moment" more times than I can count - daring to run outside just to see if I could sneak a peek at impending doom when the weathermen said, "take shelter now!"

But, never, never in my life had I ever felt as scared as I did last night when, after being awakened by sirens, did we hear the tv announcer say "I see a lowering at 178th and Penn."

Some would say a measly 3/4-mile is still okay (it struck two neighborhoods down from us). I call that "spittin' distance," and during tornado season, "spittin' distance" does not sit well with this (almost) lifelong Okie!

So, while it passed overhead, in the closet I sat, bunkered down with two dogs, two cats, and other important sundry items. While there, I watched from the corner of the closet through the bathroom window the big blue "flash" that was immediately followed by our electricity going out. Guess whatever "it" was struck a power line about a mile north.

While we weathered things just fine (husband kept an eye on the tv while I wrangled critters and important papers into the closet), I have to admit, this one was just a bit too close for comfort. Even this morning I still feel a bit on the shaken AND stirred side. Maybe I need to take Doug's advice and grab some green beans. Better yet, I might just try a martini next time.

FRISKY
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Tornado shelters are cheap.

FritterGirl
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Tornado shelters are cheap.

Define cheap. The minimum I have found is $2,000, and that's the tucked-under-the-car-in-the-garage variety, which I'm not sure suits what our needs are.

I'd love to afford the concrete-rebar-reinforced closet, which are not "cheap." My parents put one in several years ago, and it was estimated at around $17k. It came in a few grand short of that. We could not get any return on our investment on that.

If you've got other/better ideas, I'm all ears!

Karried
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
oh my gosh! Just when I was feeling a little complacent about the tornado last night.. I saw the house on the news... the damage was really bad!

But, the most unbelieveable thing.. is that is my Dentist's house! And we did work on his new Dental office last year.. so we know them. I feel so bad for them..... they have twin boys.. and they looked petrified.

FFLady
03-31-2008, 01:00 PM
You know, I wish they wouldn't "test" the sirens on Saturdays...those sirens went off last night and I was asleep, and immediately started dreaming that it was Saturday at noon.
Not until my husband came bursting through the door (he hadn't been watching but had stayed up just in case) did I wake up. I turned on the tv, saw it was more in my sister's hood, called her, he called his Edmond-dwelling parents, and I went to bed, knowing there was nothing I could do.

Not saying I slept much after that, but there was no immediate reason for me to freak out.

:LolLolLol

MartzMimic
03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Do any of you remember the 1973 Union City tornado? That storm made Gary England a rich man. My grandmother worships him. If he turns out to be the Anti-Christ, we're in deep do-do.

When I was a kid, we had one cellar in our neighborhood. Most of the other families were older. One little old lady had been in a house hit by a tornado when she was younger, and she hit the cellar every time it rained. The lady who owned the cellar was somewhat infirm, so my dad and our neighbor would stand under her carport until the storm got really bad. I remember thinking that the true sign of manhood was being able to stay outside with them.

Kerry
03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
My parents put one in several years ago, and it was estimated at around $17k. It came in a few grand short of that. We could not get any return on our investment on that.

Really? How much is being alive worth to you? Not to toot my own horn but I would say that I am worth at least $17K. A reputable person would be worth somewhere north of that.

FritterGirl
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Really? How much is being alive worth to you? Not to toot my own horn but I would say that I am worth at least $17K. A reputable person would be worth somewhere north of that.

I would think my family is certainly "somewhere north'' of that. But when it's not in the budget, it's not in the budget, which is why we are exploring other options.

FRISKY noted that storm shelters are "cheap." I have yet to find one I would consider "cheap" (and $17k is not "cheap.") $2,500 for another type of shelter is certainly more in line with what we could afford.

Kerry
03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
I know this is a serious subject but do you have any idea if you could do it yourself. Really all you need is a rented back hoe, some plywood, concrete, and a building permit. Dig a hole, build a wood box for the forms, and pour the concrete.

Do It Yourself Network has some info on it.
HOME IMPROVEMENT : Safety : Tornadoes: Tornado-Proof Shelters : DIY Network (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_safety/article/0,2037,DIY_13930_2915859,00.html)

OKCisOK4me
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Someboby needs to get that guy on channel 4 a really big cup of coffee and a chill pill. He is just to hyper. He needs to breath and slow down when he talks. You would think this mean ass tornado is going to suck up the whole state.

Hey, my son has ativan wonder if that would work.

I had to stop watching him, he was giving me a headache.

Otis

That would be David Payne you are referring to! I was LMAO when he said "SE of Weatherford is trashed with hail!"

But I'd have to say of all the weather guys on all the stations he is the most egotistical of all of them and very annoying. I worked at a car dealership back in 1999-2000 and he came in to purchase a car. He acted like he was on top of the world!

BG918
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
I have lived in Oklahoma since 1989 and have never been in a tornado. I have been in many "tornado warnings" but never have I seen or been threatened by an actual tornado. The closest experience would probably be May 3rd, 1999, an infamous date for Oklahoman's. The storm was expected to pass over my house in Tulsa but weakened. Since living in the OKC metro (Norman) since 2003 I have never even had to take tornado precautions, not once.

AAC2005
02-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I see that this thread has been idle for a while, but can anyone suggest a good storm shelter installation company, or point me to a thread that discusses this topic?

Thanks!

DISREGARD - I opened the topic on the appropriate forum.