View Full Version : Weekly Dell Updates

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
12-12-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm sticking this topic to the top of this page. On a weekly basis (or whenever information is available), mranderson, our Dell representative for this forum (he's an employee for Dell) will give us Dell updates in this thread. So please check this thread often.

Here's mranderson's first update:

12-9-2004, 10AM: "The contractor has rolled a crane onto the building site. Gravel is being layed to prep the site for foundation, plus plumbing rough in is being layed as well.

I expect the foundation to be poured in mid January or early February."

Luke
12-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Great idea, Patrick!

Patrick
12-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Actually mranderson came up with it! You know, for the sake of this board, it worked out pretty well that mranderson was hired by Dell!

Luke
12-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Indeed! I look forward to the progress being made.

mranderson
12-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Just to let you know. If I skip a week, that means there is not enough progress to report.

I will try to publish reports on Friday unless something happens to give one earlier.

metro
12-13-2004, 01:30 PM
sooooooooo any updates?

mranderson
12-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Your weekly update for the week ending December 17, 2004.

The construction crew is working two shifts to get a faster completion. It appears Michael Dell was not sastified with the progess. From what I hear, it had better be ready on the exact day he wants or there is a problem.

Two cranes are working, plus, they are still moving the hill. It may be more than one building in the beginning. Of course, we do need a lot of parking.

If there is enough progress, I will report it next week. In the mean time, if there are any questions I will try to answer them.

metro
12-17-2004, 09:36 AM
can anyone get some progress pictures up weekly or so?

mranderson
12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Actually there IS a way. Pull off to the side on SW 15, and snap some then bring them on board.

I do not have a digital camera, so if someone will volunteer to take the shots and place them on the thread, I would appreciate it.

Luke
12-17-2004, 03:35 PM
That would be cool. Anyone with a digital camera in the area wanna do that?

Luke
12-21-2004, 08:05 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/1386480/?template=business/main

"Drawings obtained Monday by The Oklahoman show Dell's new Oklahoma City call center will be a four-story building with brick columns and a glass-encased entryway resembling a Dell computer tower.

The drawings, released at a recent retreat of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, provide the first glimpse at a planned campus along the Oklahoma River that could involve at least two more buildings.

Mayor Mick Cornett said he likes what he's seen so far.

"I've seen a couple of other Dell sites, and I think these buildings will be very attractive," Cornett said.

"They're incorporating things into the designs they've learned elsewhere. This will send a progressive message, a message that we have a presence of high tech industry."

Dell already has 700 employed at a temporary call center in northwest Oklahoma City.

The permanent site along the Oklahoma River at Interstate 44 was chosen by the company two months ago.

Michelle Blood, Dell spokeswoman, said Monday the building design could change before the drawings are finalized.

City officials confirmed, however, that the building plans have been submitted for a permit review.

"Site preparation has begun," Blood said. "We're still anticipating it to be open in summer 2005."

Assistant City Manager Jim Thompson the city is seeking a contractor to start work on closing a drainage channel.

Thompson said a traffic analysis shows the city also will need to add traffic signals and turn lanes along SW 15.

Pat Downes, development director for the Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority, said at least one housing development is being eyed within a mile of the Dell campus.

"We have been receiving calls (about river development), but we were prior to the Dell announcement," Downes said.

"But since then, the interest level has intensified. The redevelopment interest really covers the entire spectrum, from residential to institutional."

mranderson
12-21-2004, 08:17 AM
If anyone can download the picture from the Oklahoman, go ahead. If not, I will try to do it by Christmas Eve.

It looks really good.

floater
12-21-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't see a picture from the Oklahoman's story...mranderson, shed some light on the look!!!!

metro
12-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I'll try to drive by today with the digital and see what i can do

mranderson
12-21-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't see a picture from the Oklahoman's story...mranderson, shed some light on the look!!!!

The picture is not on the Oklahoman's website. It is on the first page of the business section of the newspaper itself.

It will be a four story brick facade with a grand entry which will look similar to a Dell Diminsion computer tower, and the Dell logo gracing the top. It really looked nice. But as all info, it is subject to revision.

At least it is headway.

floater
12-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Sorry, mranderson, there is a boxed picture on the newsok's home page, on the left. It does look like a computer tower!!

Patrick
12-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey guys, mranderson scanned the pic from the Oklahoman and emailed it to me. Here it is! Click on the thumbnail to enlarge the pic!

Patrick
12-21-2004, 10:31 PM
In my opinion, it probably won't look too much different from the other call centers......it kind of resembles the Hartford, only it's multilevel. Also I guess Dell will include some brick in the building to liven it up some....so that's definitely better than the call centers out off NW Expressway. Also, the computer tower idea for the main entrance is pretty cool!

Patrick
12-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Here's the story from today's Oklahoman:

"Drawings show plans for four-story Dell call center
By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Drawings obtained Monday by The Oklahoman show Dell's new Oklahoma City call center will be a four-story building with brick columns and a glass-encased entryway resembling a Dell computer tower.
The drawings, released at a recent retreat of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, provide the first glimpse at a planned campus along the Oklahoma River that could involve at least two more buildings.

Mayor Mick Cornett said he likes what he's seen so far.

"I've seen a couple of other Dell sites, and I think these buildings will be very attractive," Cornett said.

"They're incorporating things into the designs they've learned elsewhere. This will send a progressive message, a message that we have a presence of high tech industry."

Dell already has 700 employed at a temporary call center in northwest Oklahoma City.

The permanent site along the Oklahoma River at Interstate 44 was chosen by the company two months ago.

Michelle Blood, Dell spokeswoman, said Monday the building design could change before the drawings are finalized.

City officials confirmed, however, that the building plans have been submitted for a permit review.

"Site preparation has begun," Blood said. "We're still anticipating it to be open in summer 2005."

Assistant City Manager Jim Thompson the city is seeking a contractor to start work on closing a drainage channel.

Thompson said a traffic analysis shows the city also will need to add traffic signals and turn lanes along SW 15.

Pat Downes, development director for the Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority, said at least one housing development is being eyed within a mile of the Dell campus.

"We have been receiving calls (about river development), but we were prior to the Dell announcement," Downes said.

"But since then, the interest level has intensified. The redevelopment interest really covers the entire spectrum, from residential to institutional."

BricktownGuy
12-21-2004, 11:07 PM
mranderson, I have read thru the dell updates... I didn't see the question to my answer.. unless I accidently skipped over it on accident.

What's the salary range like at Dell currently, not at Dell in general, meant at the OKC location, so far.

BricktownGuy
12-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Who is the building contractor for the Dell call center that will be built along the Oklahoma River??

mranderson
12-22-2004, 05:10 AM
mranderson, I have read thru the dell updates... I didn't see the question to my answer.. unless I accidently skipped over it on accident.

What's the salary range like at Dell currently, not at Dell in general, meant at the OKC location, so far.

Dell salaries are confidential, so I will just tell you the salaries range from customary for call center to customary for computer sales. I hope that covers it.

I do not know who the contractor is. I would like to know that on myself.

Patrick
12-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Most other call centers range from $10 plus benefits to $13 plus benefits. Of course sales usually has the potential to make more due to commission. My fiancee has been applying at call centers the past 2 weeks and that's what the average has been. The Hartford was probably the lowest at $8.25 and hour plus benefits. AOL started out at $10.

I'd guess that Dell probably isn't too far off from that.

mranderson
12-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I have changed my avatar to the picture of Dell. It may be small and out of perportion, however, it shows what the building will be like.

Patrick
12-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Looks nice...I'm glad you included the pic! It definitely represents you well!

metro
12-30-2004, 11:23 AM
any new updates???

mranderson
12-30-2004, 11:33 AM
They are still working two shifts. When I passed this morning, one of the cranes dropped something which I thought might be a welding machine. It may be their method of tamping the gravel.

Nothing really new.

mranderson
01-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Your weekly update for the week ending January 7, 2005.

Not really much to report. You can tell how large the building will be as you pass the site on the freeway. I think they are getting close to laying the rebar in prep for pouring the foundation. I still expect that to be late this month or early February. This ice storm did not delay them.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Does nobody seem to have any contruction pictures?

mranderson
01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Does nobody seem to have any contruction pictures?
Since I do not have a digital camera yet, I have asked some people to take them. They are coming, I just do not know when.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Last time I was on I 44, )that goes right by it, right?) I did see the ground being leveled.

metro
01-13-2005, 09:00 AM
yeah sorry, I will help as much as I can, I will try to snap some in the next day or three I promise

BricktownGuy
01-13-2005, 11:54 PM
I posted this before... maybe since some time has now passed.. someone may have some info.....

Who is the building contractor for the Dell call center?

I know of one area firm that specializes in state-of-the-art call centers, Tapp Development Corporation, but I do not know if they are the ones developing the Dell call center.

metro
01-16-2005, 06:34 PM
I drove by and took some pictures today, I will try to post them ASAP, my USB drive is acting up. I also drove by all downtown sites and memorial road sites and snapped some pics as well.

mranderson
01-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Sorry it has been so long. There has been nothing to report... Until now.

There are more vehicles on site, many piles of sand, and some trucks that look like drilling rigs. Plus a couple of construction site office trailers. It looks like they are about to pour concerte. Plus sewer lines are being layed.

I will report as progress merits.

metro
01-27-2005, 08:53 AM
mranderson, i've got the pics, i think one of my security features is blocking me from uploading them. I will try to get them up this week.

BricktownGuy
01-27-2005, 02:36 PM
OKCBusiness NewsWire

Flintco to begin construction of new Dell facility

Flintco, Inc., the largest Oklahoma based full-services construction firm, has construction underway for the new Dell customer contact center, which is scheduled to be complete this summer.

The 62-acre site located on SE 15th between Portland and I-40 will be home to a 130,000 square-foot facility. The three-story office/call center will be constructed in pre-cast concrete and structural steel with a mixture of stained exposed concrete, brick masonry and curtainwall with exterior window shades. Extensive use of access flooring, exposed ceilings, systems furnishings in the interior will house approximately 700 Dell employees.

Employees will also enjoy a full-service dining hall and expansive parking. Structure also includes an attached mechanical building, five-bay dock area, and guest parking area. Future expansion consists of two additional buildings and additional parking areas.

Dell announced the selection of Oklahoma City for a customer contact center in July. From their corporate offices in Round Rock, Texas, Dell officials have said the company's continuous growth, coupled with the high caliber of the area workforce, has prompted the expansion.

Flintco, Inc., a division of The Flintco Companies, Inc. an American Indian owned company founded in Tulsa, Okla. in 1908, provides a full range of professional construction services. Flintco, Inc. currently ranks as one of the largest providers of services in the nation including: pre-construction, construction management, design/build, program and project management as well as general contracting.

Source: Flintco, Inc.

Patrick
01-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Seems like everything is built from pre-cast concrete now-a-days. Even the capitol dome is pre-cast concrete.

mranderson
02-01-2005, 09:02 AM
I am predicting the foundation will be poured by mid month.

There are a lot more vehicles on site now than I have seen since the first turn of dirt.:congrats:

metro
02-02-2005, 09:31 AM
mranderson, i took pics yesterday, im having trouble getting them on the site. PM me your email and I will email them to you to post.

USG'86
02-04-2005, 10:28 PM
The 62-acre site located on SE 15th between Portland and I-40 will be home to a 130,000 square-foot facility.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when the 'media' screws up SE and SW OKC.

Say it with me: If it's west of Santa Fe and south of Reno, it's SW. Not only should these people get a map...they should use it.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

mranderson
02-04-2005, 10:31 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is when the 'media' screws up SE and SW OKC.

Say it with me: If it's west of Santa Fe and south of Reno, it's SW. Not only should these people get a map...they should use it.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Here are the legal boundries. North/south. Main, street. East/west Santa Fe. You are correct about one thing. the freeway, I-44 is not Southeast.

mranderson
02-05-2005, 08:29 AM
I passed by the site last evening around 5:15. I could see orange or pink flags lined on the gravel. This looks like they are about to pour the foundation. My time line looks right.

I predict a September opening. Dell wants in by August, however.

mranderson
02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
As I passed this morning, I saw several piles of sand and many stacks of concrete blocks. It appears they are starting to build the forms for the foundation.

The building looks like the time line is right on my prediction.

Karried
02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
If you have any pressing questions my husband will be supervising a crew out there soon - he is a project manager/construction estimator and knows the Dell prints inside and out... if it's not confidential I'll fill you in on details. The last article was correct regarding the three stories, multiple buildings and concrete tilt ups with glass facade. Also, August 8th is the do or die deadline. Anything after that will incur huge costs to the contractors. I'm so glad that Dell is coming - we spent our life in Silicon Valley. My husband worked on a lot of the big computer companies out there - it brings a lot of employment which in turn brings a lot of housing needs which is good for the Oklahoma economy in general.

Keith
02-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey, that's great to hear Karried. We can get info from you about what is going on in the construction end, and info from mranderson, who works for Dell, about what is happening at Dell:Smiley199 .

Karried
02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
I ran a MLS search and found over 100 properties in this area under 50K. Granted, most are in a decrepid state and will need much work. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on future investment potential for the area surrounding Dell.

I think many younger employees will choose not to commute. They may like the convenience of living near their workplace. They may have problems securing reliable transportation. It may not be logistically feasible for them to afford renting in a different area since they are just starting out.

Now for families with children, I don't see it happening very quickly. Schools will always play a part in housing choices.

I don't know what kind of rents these units will command in the beginning, I'm thinking long term here.

I'm a wondering if the city will infiltrate funds into the area for improvements, more police patrols, funding for community programs, schools, etc. What are your thoughts about this area surrounding the new Dell facility? This area might become very desirable to investors or people will stay away regardless of investment potential.

What do you think, short of looking into a crystal ball, about this issue and securing rental property now?

I'm a Realtor so I'm very interested in your opinion. Please respond.

mranderson
02-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Karried: I do have a question for you. This is on behalf of the 1,000 Dell people already in place.

How can we see the blueprints for the building? Dell has not provided them for us and we would like to see them.

You can give some good behind the scenes details I have no access to. I can report like I have been. A daily drive by. It really gives a good report, but there are things I might not know.

By the way. For those who have asked me about job openings. LVR (my main department) is short handed. We are experimenting with ways to tell Round Rock (corp HQ) we need the hiring freeze lifted now. LVR has an average of 100 calls holding at various times throughout the day and managers can not take the time for feedback. In fact, I thought I had some performance problems, and later found out the opposite. I am number seven out of about 200 agents and was chosen for a trial period for a new department. Only the top 16 agents got it. So, the feedback is important. Plus Dell does not want agents to be slammed with calls all day. The caller hates waiting and the goal is less than one minute hold time. Actually less than five seconds.

When the freeze is lifted, I will give information on listing me as your referal if you want a job at Dell. That information will be by PM only.

Karried
02-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Hello Mr. Anderson, I would be happy to give any information that I know or have access to. I am not sure how one would go about getting the physical blueprints unless you were a city official or construction contractor wanting to bid on the job. The prints themselves are pricey and companies have to pay for them before submitting a bid for work.

If you have any specific questions regarding the plan I might be able to help as long as I don't break any confidentiality rules. I will talk to my DH and find out what I can disclose.

I know it must be exciting to watch your company grow from ground floor up - I think it will be a wonderful addition to OKC.

I'll help in any way I can.

Karrie

mranderson
02-20-2005, 10:15 AM
That will work. I have been reporting based on drive by and will continue to do so. However, reports straight from the construction site would be good also. I will also continue to report any information from Dell that I am allowed to report.

In addition, I have included a picture of the consturction site in my gallery. When I see major changes, I will add more.

By the way, Karried. A bit off topic (in a way sine we want to approach Dell with sponsorship). Welcome to the Walk of Fame committee. We need all the help we can get as we are serious about presenting this plan to the bricktown association by the end of the year.

mranderson
02-21-2005, 02:18 PM
As I drove past the new Dell construction site, I notice what looked like a foundation wall. My guess is iron will begin to be hung by mid March.

metro
02-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I am not sure how one would go about getting the physical blueprints unless you were a city official or construction contractor wanting to bid on the job. The prints themselves are pricey and companies have to pay for them before submitting a bid for work.

Indeed, this is confidential information and just because you are a "Realtor" doesnt mean you have access to it. The public can almost get the same info now thanks to the internet, as an MLS search can pull. Karried, if you are able to pull the blueprints, timelines, etc from your husband please do so as we all will appreciate.

Karried
02-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi, what do you want to know, the blueprints are on my kitchen counter as we speak ... ask away and I'll try to get answers.

I'm not sure what you mean about being a Realtor and the MLS - I have access to the blueprints because I see them every night - my husband is a Project Manager and a Construction Estimator, nothing to do with Real estate, sorry for the confusion. (I meant I can't pass out actual physical copies of the blueprints but I'll try to help out if I can and I don't breach any confidentiality rules.)

I saw that everyone was interested in the development of Dell and thought you might have unanswered questions that I might be able to help, I hope I didn't offend anyone?

metro
02-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Karried,

No I do not think you offended anyone as your intentions were good. My point I was trying to make was that it appeared earlier in the thread that since you mentioned you were a "Realtor" and had "MLS" access that you could get "classified" information. I was simply educating our viewers that alot of this information can be found publicly on the internet and county courthouse, etc. I realize that you have access to the blueprints through your husband who is a contractor but was merely clarifying the two as some seemed to be confused. I hope this clarifies things. Keep us informed!

Karried
02-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Okay, thanks for clarifying! I was wondering about it... you are right about the MLS. It is not exclusive to Realtors but the good thing is that we can get listings more quickly - we know the day new listings come on the market and we can search directly through the MLS instead of going through a second party. We can narrow parameters and refine our search criteria ( pool - no pool? one level - two? etc) So, in some ways it is nice to have access to the direct MLS.

But as far as Dell, that is seperate from being a Realtor - I was mentioning MLS because I was curious about what you all think about the properties in the area -

What do you think? About future investment and rental properties in the Dell area?

mranderson
02-28-2005, 06:36 PM
This is a major update.

As of today, we are hanging iron. You can actually see it will be a building. This time frame is a bit ahead of what I predicted.

metro
02-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Exactly, I am a "realtor" but I was just clarifying so people wouldnt misunderstand the MLS system as the same information can typically be found elsewhere and the searches can be refined publically. It sounded like it could of been confusing to some.

MrAnderson that sounds great about Dell, I cant wait until people are in there.

Patrick
03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Maybe they will complete the facility on time after all! I know you're anticipating the facility mranderson, since right now you guys are packed in small desks.

Karried
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
mranderson,

you'll be pleased to know that Burns Hargis came to our office today. He spoke at length regarding economic development. He was very complimentary regarding the current Dell sales figures. He was saying that the Dell executives didn't think OK could pull it off at first and are extremely impressed with the sales results ( I wish I could remember everything he said!) He talked about the next Maps Project, Triangle, Hill District, schools, etc and one thing in particular, he stressed that shopping in Bricktown was lacking and we need to attract upscale businesses there - he mentioned Nordstrom but not sure about where/when etc. He is in favor of a lightrail system. He was very excited about how OK is developing and very much in tune with current events. Thought you might appreciate the compliment!
:tiphat:

SoundMind
03-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Sales is actually a field Okies are good at. We've been doing it for years...negotiating with people to buy our crops and cattle. I'm not surprised we're doing well with sales at Dell. Why is it, so many people have low expectations from Okies?

Hey, I drove by the Dell site today. It looks like more than 1 building will be going up. Can this be confirmed? I thought that were just starting out with 2 building.