View Full Version : OKC Wikipedia Page.

soonerfever
03-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I just wanted to let you guys know that I updated OKC's Wiki page tonight. I added a image gallery at the bottom of the page. This is third webpage search result on Google and it can really show off the city. For those of you who don't know Wikipedia is a free community site. If you have something cool just go out and add it.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City,_Oklahoma)

dcsooner
03-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Very nice SoonerFever, Sooner Pride is contagious and spreading out of control LOL

redland
03-26-2008, 06:28 AM
The OKC entry in Wikipedia seems comprehensive and, to my perhaps biased eyes, quite impressive. I really like the skyline view at the head of the article and can only imagine how it will look when we get that Devon tower in place!

jbrown84
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I made some significant updates a few months ago, including embedding a lot of pictures of mine.

I went through the edit history and there is a practical war going on between locals and I assume Seattle-ites over the wording of Sonics related info. It's kind of funny. There also seems to be a lot of vandalism--Seattle again?--such as adding "Oklahoma S****y" to the list of nicknames.

MikeOKC
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I took a look at that and found it to be full of great contributions. The pictures add a lot.

OKCDrummer77
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
The article used to point out that our per capita income was very low for a city our size. That line is gone now. Thank you, whoever eliminated it.

thoth
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Someone needs to add more pics of our universities.

soonerfever
03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
jbrown, I had kind of noticed the same thing about the Seattle stuff. I guess this is one of the down falls of Wikipedia. Anyone and everyone can change anything.

soonerguru
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't know how to update the content on Wiki, but someone needs to add Oklahoma Today Magazine under media. It is the largest paid circulation magazine in the state with readers in all 50 states and several foreign countries.

My friends who work there would be pleased to see that.

jbrown84
03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
It's a very good magazine. I'll see if I can add it.

jbrown84
03-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Added it on the Oklahoma page, as opposed to OKC.

Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma#Media)

Doug Loudenback
03-27-2008, 09:09 AM
I just had a look ... all you guys have done a bang-up job! :congrats:

Under "Museums," although it isn't one technically (I didn't see a separate category for art galleries), I noticed that the State Art Collection gallery at the State Capitol, which opened last November, was not listed. I don't know how to do it, but if anyone wants to use any of the pics in my blog post on that gallery, feel free: Doug Dawgz Blog: Centennial Opening: State Arts Collection (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/11/centennial-opening-state-arts.html)

The blog post gives "fact" detail about the collection, as well.

traxx
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Here's a request. Could you maybe reorganize the page to show more of the nice photos of OKC earlier in the article? One of the first images you see is the bombed out Murrah bldg. I don't think this is the image we want as a first impression. A more pleasant photo will cause people to want to go deeper into the article and see what OKC is all about.

I'm not saying that the image should be removed, but maybe just relocated to further down in the article. But there are some very nice pictures in the article like the one of the Myriad Gardens, the museum of art and sunset on the lake. I also like the historic pic.

okclee
03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Here's a request. Could you maybe reorganize the page to show more of the nice photos of OKC earlier in the article? One of the first images you see is the bombed out Murrah bldg. I don't think this is the image we want as a first impression. A more pleasant photo will cause people to want to go deeper into the article and see what OKC is all about.

I'm not saying that the image should be removed, but maybe just relocated to further down in the article. But there are some very nice pictures in the article like the one of the Myriad Gardens, the museum of art and sunset on the lake. I also like the historic pic.

I thought the same thing when I looked at the page. Everything is very well written and love all of the info and pics. But the first thing that I saw was the photo of the murrah building, not the best foot to put forward.

Other than that great job to all that contributed to the pages.

soonerfever
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Guys I just moved the bombing picture down to the bombing section. I found a picture of the city from 1890 and placed it in the history section.

jbrown84
03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
That's a change that would probably have to be bounced of other people that are involved with the page.

Basically the way it works is if you want to make a major change, you go in these forums and see if others agree. I'm not really as active as others. I'd change it, but it might cause a fuss.

I just looked and someone has already taken the Oklahoma Today paragraph out for some reason. I tried to get an explanation, but they don't seem to have any way of messaging others, and the "talk" forums are very confusing.

soonerfever
03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I have posted a topic about the picture and the change, just to make sure I am not stepping on anyones toes. I agree that the forums are confusing. It looks to me like much of the OKC forum part has been pretty quiet other than the Sonics stuff.

lpecan
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks soonerfever for all the hard work. That said, (@everyone else) remember wikipedia is not an advertising platform. Wikipedians work very hard to keep it as unbiased and accurate a source as possible. It would be great to do some work on our wikitravel page, but to suggest that one should take down the Murrah picture because its not what we would want people to think of sort of diverges from the scope of the site.

soonerfever
03-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks lepcan, but I have only done a small amount of work on the site. I just want to reiterate my point that I mean no disrespect to any of the survivors, their friends and family. I am thankful that no one I knew was involved in the bombing. However I am a Oklahoman so I was still affected, but in a different way. Back to the topic though. The picture is still there, it has just been moved about four paragraphs down. I donīt think anyone wanted the picture deleted. I just think they wanted it to be in the best spot. There was only two sentences in the history section that talked about the bombing. Now their is a entire section devoted to the bombing as well as the picture. I hope that no one if offended by anything here. We can always change it back. That would be no problem at all.

soonerguru
03-28-2008, 12:06 AM
jbrown,

Even thought it's the state magazine, it's headquartered in OKC. Can you add it to the OKC page too?

Thanks!

jbrown84
03-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, if they didn't like it on the Oklahoma page, they will probably delete it from the OKC page as well. They acted as if I got on there and posted a 12 sentence paragraph about the Baptist Messenger or something. It's the official state magazine, but they said the following was inappropriate:

Oklahoma City and Tulsa are the 45th and 61st-largest media markets in the United States as ranked by Nielsen Media Research. The state's third-largest media market, Lawton-Wichita Falls, Texas, is ranked 144th nationally by the agency.[135] Broadcast television in Oklahoma began in 1949 when KFOR-TV (then WKY-TV) in Oklahoma City and KOTV-TV in Tulsa began broadcasting a few months apart.[136] Currently, all major American broadcast networks have affiliated television stations in the state.[137]

The state has two primary newspapers. The Oklahoman, based in Oklahoma City, is the largest newspaper in the state and 48th-largest in the nation by circulation, with a weekday readership of 215,102 and a Sunday readership of 287,505. The Tulsa World, the second most widely circulated newspaper in Oklahoma and 77th in the nation, holds a Sunday circulation of 189,789 and a weekday readership of 138,262.[134] Oklahoma's first newspaper was established in 1844, called the Cherokee Advocate, and was written in both Cherokee and English.[138] In 2006, there were more than 220 newspapers located in the state, including 177 with weekly publications and 48 with daily publications.[138]

Two large public radio networks are broadcast in Oklahoma: Oklahoma Public Radio and Public Radio International. First launched in 1955, Oklahoma Public Radio was the first public radio network in Oklahoma, and has won 271 awards for outstanding programming.[139] Public Radio International broadcasts on 10 stations throughout the state, and provides more than 400 hours of programming.[140] The state's first radio station, KRFU in Bristow, moved to Tulsa and became KVOO in 1927.[141] In 2006, there were more than 500 radio stations in Oklahoma broadcasting with various local or nationally owned networks.[142]

The official state magazine since 1956, Oklahoma Today, is published bi-monthly and has received numerous national and international awards including the International Regional Magazine Awards Magazine of the Year in 2005. [143]

The reasoning:

I removed your paragraph because it violated our policies on advertisements and undue weight. We generally don't mention specific businesses or publications in articles with few exceptions for very notable publications if they are the primary news outlets in the state, such as the Tulsa world and the daily Oklahoman. For anything else, such as a particular magazine, in most cases it is not even appropriate to state it briefly in an article about a state, not to mention devote an entire sentence to detailing specifics about a magazine.

I don't see how I gave it anymore weight than Oklahoma Public Radio, which I've never even heard of.

traxx
03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks soonerfever for all the hard work. That said, (@everyone else) remember wikipedia is not an advertising platform. Wikipedians work very hard to keep it as unbiased and accurate a source as possible. It would be great to do some work on our wikitravel page, but to suggest that one should take down the Murrah picture because its not what we would want people to think of sort of diverges from the scope of the site.

We understand that it's not an advertising platform and it needs to be accurate. That being said, I think that having moved the pic gives a more true and accurate representation of OKC. The bombing, the dust bowl and tornadoes is all some people know us for. None of those represent all of what OKC is about. By moving the photo I think we give a truer picture of OKC and all she has to offer.

On the NYC page there is not even a mention of 9/11 let alone having the WTC as one of the first pics. That's because NYC is not defined by one day. It has so much more to offer.

Not trying to offend anyone, I just think we should put our best foot forward.

brianinok
03-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Haven't the 2007 population estimates been released. We could update the old 2006 numbers. Sorry, I don't know how to edit Wikipedia.

citizenkane
07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
The OKC Wikipedia page needs to be significantly revised. At the top of the page, it says that the neutrality of the article is disputed and that the article needs citations. Unfortunately, Tulsa's page looks better than ours.

AFCM
07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I like the bottom portion with all of the photos, where the description reads, "This section seems to be an image gallery". Well, duh.

soonerfever
07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
If anyone has the updated population numbers with sources please post them and I will get them up on the page. I do not understand the heading for the picture gallery? I uploaded those pictures earlier in the year and that heading wasn't there. Its almost like Wikipedia doesn't want them there?

Saberman
07-08-2008, 12:11 PM
If anyone has the updated population numbers with sources please post them and I will get them up on the page. I do not understand the heading for the picture gallery? I uploaded those pictures earlier in the year and that heading wasn't there. Its almost like Wikipedia doesn't want them there?

Looks like they want the pictures in a separate gallery at Wikimedia Commons, what ever that is.

You can obtain official, U.S. Census Bureau, OKC population numbers at:

Oklahoma City city, Oklahoma - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=&_geoContext=&_street=&_county=Oklahoma+City&_cityTown=Oklahoma+City&_state=04000US40&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010)

I forgot to add, you need to go down to ACS Demographic Estimates. If you hit, "Show More", it breaks population down by groups.

ddavidson8
07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
There is a section on the "Move of the Sonics" that had been titled "theft" of the Sonics. I changed it back.

traxx
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't see what Wikipedia's problem with the photo gallery is. I've seen it on other articles, such as the one about Yankee Stadium, and there is no such banner on there saying this seems to be a photo gallery.

jbrown84
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Basically I think they prefer that you integrate them into the article and associated articles, such as "Neighborhoods of OKC".

windowphobe
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I occasionally edit over there, and the "neutrality" guys have a point: a lot of the page sounds defensive and/or promotional, neither of which is among Wikipedia's desiderata.

Had I the time, I'd rewrite the sucker completely, but alas, I live on the same 24-hour days as the rest of the planet.

I reread the Tulsa page, and it's a bit on the bland side, which is precisely what you want in an online encyclopedia: if you want opinions, there are zillions of places to find them.